NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 74 of 154 < 1 2 ... 72 73 74 75 76 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1268896 - 07/07/2014 21:33 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi again.

Just as I suspected may happen, an M7.1 has just occurred off shore Mexico (lower).
Mexico - The Earthquake Report

Will catch up a little later with more info....Duck.

#1268899 - 07/07/2014 21:58 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

ran out of time to add to above post.

As I also felt, we are now (9:48pm here) starting to feel the reverberations (registering on the seismo's) of the Mexico quake.
We may go on to see some more moderate quakes follow on from this one around the Pacific in spots.

I am wondering if some of the 'energy' exerted from this one may help set-off some of the nearby Caribbean vulnerable;e spots...?

I am also still watching the west coast of California and near the east of San Francisco. Initially I thought Salinas, which is south of San Francisco may come up with a tremor, but the region about 100 miles to the east of Salinas has been rattling with many, many small tremors in the Long Valley area. This is the same sort of cluster as near L.A. was experiencing yesterday.

Add the two clusters and the Mexico quakes into one observation, I had a gut feeling that maybe the energy for these clusters may have been coming up from the plate skimming up the coast of Mexico (into California)....could be wrong.

The Mexico quake was a bit of a doozy and I hope that the folks there and their property is/are ok. There is currently no tsunami alert but there is more than likely a watch for altered sea behaviours - currents, tides, wave changes etc..

Hi perrywinkle wink will natter some more about the sounds soon, gotta dash again.....

Duck.

Edited by duckweather (07/07/2014 22:00)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1268901 - 07/07/2014 22:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: South West Sydney
Lots of damage being reported in and structural damage at that in Chiapas, Mexico and Guatamala.

http://earthquake-report.com/2014/07/06/earthquakes-in-the-world-on-july-7-2014-m4-5-or-more/

#1268902 - 07/07/2014 22:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petar @ Sdny]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yes there is unfortunately.
Also, sadly, the Guatemalan Fire Service has reported that there have been two people killed.
As time goes on we will learn more about the landslides (which have occurred), property damage...and most importantly hopefully no more serious problems for the people themselves...this was one of those quakes which has the potential to really cause issues on land.

Duck.

Edited by duckweather (07/07/2014 22:40)

#1268903 - 07/07/2014 22:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Long Valley Area, California is now under a swarm. Happening every 2 mins at the moment

http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/

#1268942 - 08/07/2014 12:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.
You know I rattle on sometimes about 'static breaks' in cloud formations, well here is another one I spotted this morning on the WZ sat pics.
This is in the same region as the tremor of M2.7 on Kangaroo Island, at about 17:56 (Sydney time) last night.

Regarding the Pacific region, the M5's and M4+'s have begun cropping up as I anticipated (past post).

As has San Francisco, and near Salinas and a couple are getting close to that region SSW of Eureka (maybe creeping up to this region).

The Mexico coastal quake has very poorly impacted Mexico and the Guatemalan regions closest to the quake. The Earthquake Report here has some statistics on the impact.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (08/07/2014 12:19)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1269050 - 08/07/2014 20:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Strong shallow quake along the coastal area of southern Hokkaido. 5.6 magnitude. Japanese agencies expecting impact/damage.

http://earthquake-report.com/2014/07/08/strong-earthquake-hokkaido-japan-region-on-july-8-2014/

#1269064 - 08/07/2014 20:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petar @ Sdny]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again folks.

Yes Petar, there is a distinct possibility of some damage from this quake, as it is on land. More info will come out as time passes.

The California tremors have been/are incredibly numerous. Salinas, a region I felt may start up a run of tremors, is trotting along with Ridgemark (not far away) in the cluster stakes for Cali at the moment.

I also get a feeling that Greece or surrounds may come up with an M4+.

For now,Duck.

#1269086 - 08/07/2014 23:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

6.3 magnitude quake at a deep epicentre depth on the major island of Vanuatu. Felt at Port Vila.

http://earthquake-report.com/2014/07/08/very-strong-earthquake-vanuatu-islands-on-july-8-2014/

#1269449 - 10/07/2014 23:20 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petar @ Sdny]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

It has been quieter on the EQ front until now.
The regions around and including Greece (which came up with an M4+ after I posted my last post) and Turkey and California have been the most active.
The inner west and south states of the U.S. have also been moderately active (including Yellowstone).

Japan's quakes have been quite interesting in that the energy causing a couple of their moderate quakes have been onland, instead of off shore - which has been the more typical location for alot of their quakes.

Australia has had its biggest tremor in Lake Mackay in WA - an M3.5.

The plate edge running down New Zealand has been a little active and some of this movement ended up in the Balleny Island region,before the quake in Tonga at the northern end of the plate edge.

I am still getting a feeling for another moderate tremor (M4+ or ++) for the region around Greece. Turkey is sticking with me a little atm. A 'dry' region is on my mind.

I feel that the relative calm may be 'broken' with an M5+ in the Pacific or Mediterranean, but not sure atm.

Oz may come up with a couple of tremors in the M2+ (M3'ish) range in the next week. I get a feeling some energy is lurking along the southern ocean regions below Oz. I even get a feeling that Qld may even feel a small tremor. But as I always 'say' - I could be wrong.

The DR Congo (Africa) may be a region which I get a feeling for - to maybe come up with a volcanic related tremor...?
Egypt has come to mind too as feeling either a tremor in their own region or the reverberations from a nearby region.

For now, Duck.

#1269475 - 11/07/2014 09:27 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
The Eucumbene fault line in the Snowy Mountains, is having small tremors periodically. Have a look at the satellite image to see the scale of this fault (it runs from the current tremor right across the dam). There was a tremor at the other end, relatively recently too.

#1269494 - 11/07/2014 12:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Hi perrywinkle. The Snowy's and surrounding regions are interesting. As you say, if you look at the fault lines, even on the sat pics, they are quite substantial. My feeling is that there are hidden sister faults (small) associated with these larger ones, which may be the source for some of the tremors being felt here and there.
I recently read a story (will have to search for it again) in regards to many seismic sensors being placed near/around the locations of the Snowy River complex to monitor potential movements in association with the dams. If I get time to find this excellent source - it will explain the seimic history of this region better than me wink

Yellowstone has 'thrown' up some interesting extra behaviours, causing a road in one region to be closed due to 'melting'.
"Thermals melt road, force closure in Yellowstone National Park"
'She' is one interesting little thing isn't she?

I feel that the Red Sea EQ (off the Saudi Arabian peninsula which I recently referred to as a spot I was 'watching') though there is a fault along which this looks like it has occurred, just may be also associated somehow with the Great Rift Zone of the NE of Africa. As I eluded to in my other post, I get a feeling that we may see some possibly volcanic related tremors (as well as fault) in the DR Congo coming up in the near future. There is an interrelationship between the Rift and down to the Congo (which could incorporate Tanzania)...?

On another note, that 'meteorite' in the sky over Tassie, Vic and NSW would have been awesome to see last night. Unfortunately I had my head buried in my work and missed it cry
On the videos it looks a little like those science experiments we did in the lab with magnesium...mesmerizing.

For now, Duck...

#1269507 - 11/07/2014 16:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

I was looking up footage of the space junk which put on a show last night over the lower SE and east of Oz.
Now...I know this is the EQ thread, but I wanted to put this interesting video from a Melbournite, in which you can see some of the 'things' I have also seen 'up there' and mentioned previously.

For now, Duck.

#1269645 - 12/07/2014 18:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Near Wangaratta, Victoria, came up with an M2.4 early this morning. I have been feeling that Vic has also had some very small jitters in the last 24 hours or so, so it doesn't surprise me that one has registered as a notable tremor.
South Australia, I feel, may have also had a couple of small rumbles today...
A seismo in Canberra has also picked up on a small movement today.
I get a bit of a feeling that in a southern state of Oz or in NSW (and possibly WA) that another tremor may occur - energy lurking again 'up' from the seas, e.g. Bass Strait, Great Oz Bight and the SW of the (the SE of NSW offshore) the Tasman Sea...?

The states on the southern reaches of the Yellowstone craton have had some decent small (M3+) EQ's today. Washington and surrounds have also responded with what I feel is irritation from the outer edges of the large Yellowstone regions.

Japan came up with quite a sizable quake today. Maybe this was the M5+ I was feeling may occur in the Pacific today (yes...the Pacific is a big place - so really it could have been anywhere vulnerable to such movements). Japan has been a location I have had a sneaking feeling may experience one or more of the bigger quakes in the Pacific in the short term.

The Strait of Gibraltar and around Spain; between Britain and France (near Jersey) have all been experiencing some interesting tremors.

For the moment, Duck.

#1269793 - 14/07/2014 12:52 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I haven't had much time to jot some stuff here and this ol' duck has torn a back muscle crazy , but later on tonight I'll do so.
I have fleetingly been watching particularly our seismo's. I felt a faint jolt last night which registered on our seimo. There have been some interesting localized movements, albeit smallish, which I feel is worth watching for the southern parts of the continent of Oz.

Till later, lame Duck.

#1269905 - 15/07/2014 20:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I promised I'd jot a post last night and I didn't get a chance.

Anyway, Oklahoma just won't let up and I wonder how long their tremors are going to go on for, and whether these almost continuous (daily) movements may eventually culminate in one or a couple of M5's.
Neighboring states are also occasionally popping up with tremors, which appear to be an increase in their 'usual' tremor activity.
The west coast/land regions of the U.S. is still rattling away and I feel they may feel an M5 in the near future.

Canada (west coast) has also been rattling a bit lately.
Alaska may follow on with some more tremors. The NW tremor clusters are still baffling scientists. I am wondering if these may be somehow related to the North Pole EQ's recently???

Yellowstone is also still coming up with the odd tremor which is being added to the Global Incident Map. Here is the list of recent movements also occurring for the Yellowstone region. I get a feeling that the edges of the massive craton may be having an effect on the tremors in peripheral states, e.g. Washington and maybe Oregon too. I could be wrong.

The greater Mediterranean region is still rattling along with tremors in various locations, particularly around the Greek regions and Western Turkey. I feel there may be an interrelationship with their tremor occurrences.

In the last few days, the peripheral regions of the general Saudi Arabian 'peninsula' has been coming up with the odd EQ.

The regions around France, Britain (the Channel closer to France), Switzerland and Spain have also popped up with the odd tremor. Northern France and western France (near Jersey?) may come up with another tremor. Spain as well.

I keep getting drawn to Iceland or to the north of - or to the south of this region - plate related and possibly volcano - for a near future movement.

The Pacific is still quite unsettled and we may see yet another M6 (M6+) come up in the short term.
I have noticed a couple of times that the EQ's on the west of the Pacific region have begun (or happened to recently) involved land or very near to land - as against many a time being in the oceans some distance from land.

Japan's quakes have been occurring as I have felt they may. I had some concern that this may be a region which may feel another larger quake, possibly causing some water/sea issues. I keep getting a picture in my mind of a waterway (small river?) reversing flow direction momentarily.

Chile experienced a series of moderate quakes (M4+) in quick succession recently. This, to me, showed quite an unstable short period of movements which may have been influenced by the large quake which recently occurred in the Pacific.

Anyway, there is always more I could rattle on about (including Australia), but I'll finish for now. My new kitten is persisting on sitting on my keyboard and following the cursor (pawing).

Cheers, Duck (and Mishka)

#1270002 - 16/07/2014 18:52 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
crikey Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Tweed Heads
Parts of yellow stone are closed due to a major road melting.
Was reading that the Oklahoma tremors may be related to frakking ?

#1270022 - 16/07/2014 22:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: crikey]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Crikey and all.

Yes Crikey, the reports on the road closures in that Yellowstone region is very interesting. Will see what else or what more is reported on in this region in the near future.
Regarding the Oklahoma quakes, many folks feel that fracking is the culprit. Some feel it may be related to the New Madrid Fault system and no definitive answer is on the table at the moment. I reckon I'd feel quite nauseated if I lived close to all of those tremors....let alone a little concerned.

I don't usually prattle on about Canada, but here's an interesting link to Canada's EQ list for the last 30 days - displaying a map with 287 tremors/quakes for this country;
Canada quake list last 30 days

Australia has had some interesting eq's/tremors in the last 24 hours. Geoscience show the 3 tremors which came up in NSW, NT and WA. The ones more centralized in Oz are rather curious - add these to the one in Lake Mackay on 10th July and you have quite an interesting 'pattern'.
I had a feeling that it wouldn't take long (re: all the movements around the Oz mainland - other countries) before some decent small tremors (M3's) would start creeping inland, instead of tremors cropping up around and near the coastlines (some just inland). I keep getting a bit of a nagging feeling that we may even see an M5 come up in Oz at some time soon....

The peripherals of the Saudi Arabian region which I have mentioned quite a bit as being regions to watch for tremors, is still coming up with EQ's/tremors. The may be more to come.

The Pacific, I feel, will keep 'misbehaving' in some regions.

Oh and the 80 meter hole in the earth in Siberia is absolutely fascinating;
Siberia 'crater'
To me, it looks like an explosion, where there may have been a methane expulsion (or other gas). Along the edges of the crater you can see where some of the debris around the rim has slipped back down into the hole, causing what looks like a water flow like pattern - this may have been caused by dry debris falling/flowing back down the edges of the hole.
I remember recently seeing a science video/doco where 2 scientists were lighting the methane gas (frozen) bubble in a frozen region (I actually think it was Siberia??) and being entertained by the firey explosions. I thought - what if one explosion of lit methane set off a series of neighboring bubbles and so on and so on....? (I am not relating this 'experiment' with the crater mentioned above).
I've rattled on a bit here, but Mother Earth (or with the help of us in some cases) is throwing up some very interesting scenarios for us to curious (and sometimes concerned) about. I, for one, am fascinated with all these things....

For now, Duck.

#1270196 - 17/07/2014 20:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Now here's a curiosity (and more than likely unrelated). We just had a power outage and a small tremor. The power went out just before the small tremor. I reckon the movement may have been an M2. I was driving around the corner from my house (heading home) when all the lights, including traffic lights, went out. There was a creepy feeling in the air before the power outed and a stillness before the very small movement.

Anyway, Canada has had several tremors today and the west of Oregon (off shore) came up with a good bit of a rattle. Ironically, sometimes when I mention some regions, the next 12 -24 hours, movements can come up in these areas.

The internet here is playing up badly at the moment. So I may be lucky to get this short post up at all....

For now, Duck.

#1270305 - 18/07/2014 11:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Quite a rumble, and a slight rattle, here just now. But no shaking. May have been or tremor - or an airliner struggling with high wind speeds.

Page 74 of 154 < 1 2 ... 72 73 74 75 76 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
benny200, ChaseNZ, ptera, stormymick1, ThunderstormZ, typhoonbeach
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image