NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 77 of 154 < 1 2 ... 75 76 77 78 79 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1275366 - 03/09/2014 19:09 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

According the Earthquake Report site, there has been an M6 near the Hawaiian Islands just now. It has been registered as 10kms deep. More info when it comes to hand - Earthquake Report - see Hawaii

I noticed today that was a distinct lull in most of the recent earthquake activity, with the exception of a few tremor and quakes coming up here and there.
I had a gut feeling that this was a sign of a temporary lull before a larger set of quakes. I have seen this pattern before. Not that there is necessarily a predictable pattern, but my intuition was telling me that the calm was not a good sign - almost as if the planet (in spots) was potentially building up to releasing movements in larger bursts, rather than in some cases relieving energies intermittently with many smaller and the odd larger quake.
The lack of activity may also have been due to a temporary calming in the energies being expelled...?

I get a bit of a feeling that we may see a near M7 come up in the short term...I may be wrong.

For the moment, Duck.

#1275374 - 03/09/2014 20:14 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

It seems that the M6 near Hawaii, which came up as a recording on 2 European seismic agency records has been removed (notation of such) from the records. I thought it was a bit strange that the USGS hadn't recorded such a movement. Though it is still interesting, in a way, that 2 independent European agencies came up with the same record...?

Australia is still coming up with some rattles in WA and SA and a couple closer to the centre of Oz. I still feel we may see some more tremors come up inland in Oz, with possibly another coastal tremor. There was an after movement on the upper QLD coast in the same location as the other one several days ago.
In regards to the Innisfail (Qld) tremors, there may be some relationship to the recent jittery buoy reading in the Coral Sea N/NE of Innisfail. I feel that the pressures/activity in the plates below the Solomons and PNG may be translating energy/pressure into the Coral Sea region - filtering through to the Innisfail region ....? (just my thoughts)
I 'knew' the Flinders Region in SA was going to come up with a tremor - could feel it 'in-me-bones'.

I've got a little feeling that there may be some small land deformation/deviation in the regions inland (towards centre of Oz, and possibly in WA and NE SA). But, of course, I can't prove such - it is mainly a suspicion of mine...could be wrong on this one.
For some reason, Kangaroo Island is coming to 'mind' - may also mean nothing. And, I keep getting drawn to SW Vic/SE SA.
I also get a vague feeling that somewhere near Japan may come up with an M5+(+?)...?

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (03/09/2014 20:16)

#1275428 - 04/09/2014 16:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
About 3:50pm we had a weird feeling here, like the floor had gone 'soft'. It went on for a couple of minutes. I looked up GA and there is only a quake in Tonga - and a long time before that. How fast to earthquake waves travel? (Or should I drink less - tea - during the day?)

#1275437 - 04/09/2014 17:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi perrywinkle.

You may have felt the reverberations from the Tonga quake. The seismo's in NSW registered movement around that time which may have felt like vibrations through the floor. It's a little like sitting in a massage chair on a very low setting. The energy transmitted can make things feel a little wobbly (in a minor way). It can also play with your sense of equilibrium (and hearing/ear noise), even when the larger quake is some distance away.

Cheers for the moment, Duck.

P.s. Here's a link which describes the shock waves and rupture location of the South Napa (U.S.) quake recently. In relation to what I said above, these shock waves can also be felt by Aussies from quakes such as the Tonga and other larger quakes, as well as home based quakes.

" "South Napa" M6.0 earthquake mapped from space" The Watchers

Edited by duckweather (04/09/2014 17:08)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1275594 - 06/09/2014 22:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks (finally).

It looks like the EQ which registered as an M2 in Queensland (near Charelville) was due to the truck which exploded, injuring the truck driver and several emergency service persons. People up to 30 kms away thought it was an earthquake. Considering the massive explosion, it is amazing no one was killed (thank goodness).

I have been very distracted with work and some other things in the last couple of days, so I haven't been posting much,

Though I will say that I think I have observed (in bits and pieces) that there may have been a more general occurrence of more quakes larger than M3+ in the last few days, than many smaller ones. An exception to this may be the west coast of the U.S. and Alaska.

Some of the footage coming out of Iceland and its erupting fissures related to the volcano is incredible (and beautiful to watch too). The Watchers' article and a Youtube vid - 9 minutes long

The UK has been popping up with the odd tremor and the Mediterranean has been feeling 'clusters' of tremors with the odd M4'ish popping up.

Poor old Easter Island has been copping some good old rattles, with an M6 in the mix. I don't think these quakes caused any damage (not sure) but may have caused some water disturbances. The quakes (3 x M5's and one M6) have been pegged as being at a shallow 10kms.

The western 'end' of the Himalayas has been playing up a bit with several M4+'s. I wonder if this has any relation to the fissure which opened up somewhere near there not long ago?

Within the last 3 hours there have been several M4+'s in the western half of the Pacific. I get a bit of a feeling that there may be an M5+(+?) brewing for the central/western region or the NW region of the Pacific. But I could be wrong - my radar is a bit off atm.
I am also drawn to off-shore western Cananda/up into the Gulf of Alaska - or perhaps a bit to the west along the Aleutians.

Central America (general region Pacific side) may come up with another M4+...?

I've got a bit of catching up to do re: other regions and feelings. Something is bugging me (re: a quake) atm., but I'm not sure where it may be - and that I feel it may happen at night.

For now, Duck.

#1275599 - 06/09/2014 23:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

Just adding on to my last post today, here's a link (which I can't get the video to post here) to a news report from the U.S. about flashes of blue light emanating from the ground just before the Napa M5+ in California recently;

"Some Bay Area Residents Report Mysterio...cisco CBS local

This is a great example of some of Mother Earth's warning signs (which are sometimes only seconds before some larger quakes hit) which I have gabbled on about in the past. According to the video, there are scientists who don't believe there is such a phenomenon - I think you all know what I believe smile Mother Earth shows us many 'signs' which modern man is still learning to read (generally speaking).

For now, Duck.

#1275610 - 07/09/2014 08:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Originally Posted By: duckweather
Hi perrywinkle.

You may have felt the reverberations from the Tonga quake. The seismo's in NSW registered movement around that time which may have felt like vibrations through the floor. It's a little like sitting in a massage chair on a very low setting. The energy transmitted can make things feel a little wobbly (in a minor way). It can also play with your sense of equilibrium (and hearing/ear noise), even when the larger quake is some distance away.

Yes, I looked it up, the seismos did go off at that time - it is very odd that such a subtle vibration can be detected - I suspect the recent rain which has wet our clay soils again, may help with feeling it - as does a moment of complete quietness (rare around here). Often I feel nothing even for quite close rattles.

#1275632 - 07/09/2014 15:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi perrywinkle.

When an EQ goes off (and they can vary in the type of quake they are), they usually send out seismic waves. The primary wave (P wave) is the initial expression of energy/motion from the quake.

This is what I feel you may have felt when the Tonga quake occurred. It's a bit like standing on a board while an energy or irritation under the board sends up vibrations from below. Regarding Tonga, the energy waves from this quake may have been transferred/reverberated out and across (at depth), through the Earth structure, in a non-seen ripple/vibrational effect.

You can even sometime hear the sound emanating from these types of larger quakes (e.g. at a distance from our mainland) as the P wave graduates through the Earth structures.
I have heard this 'sound' on many occasions after larger quakes to the NE and ENE of the Oz mainland. Once I hear these sounds (and you can 'feel' them too sometimes) I go to the EQ maps to see if these has been a larger quake off the Oz mainland somewhere (other country). Sure enough, I am usually right with my suspicions.

The S wave after a quake (which follows on from the P wave) travels more slowly than the P wave and tends to throw out a feeling of rolling or swaying, but both P waves and S waves can produce vibrations. Sometimes it is the S waves which can cause alot of damage to property.

The above is my amateur 'take' on EQ behaviour smile

Unfortunately, Central America (west) came up with the M6+ (20kms deep) I was quietly suspecting it might today. Apparently no damage caused, but I feel there may have been some water behaviour disturbance by some degree.

For now folks,

Duck

Edited by duckweather (07/09/2014 15:04)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1275867 - 08/09/2014 23:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks,

The west coast of the U.S., including down into and bordering with Central America, has been rattling along with tremors slightly bigger than their 'usual' M1's and M2's. The odd M3+ popping up in some places has me feeling that there may be another M4+(+?) possibly brewing for a coastal region. There are some tremors sneaking in an appearance in the mountain ranges a bit inland from the California coastal regions, with another feeling of mine that there may even be another M3+ for a region e.g. near L.A. and or San Francisco (I could be very wrong though).

The regions of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas etc. (almost in a horizontal line - which 'says' to me - fault line possibly familiar to each of these regions). This concerted tremor action seems to illustrate some activity which may have the potential of an M4'ish movement to come (could be wrong).

After the Easter Island EQ's the west coast of South America, mainly Chile and filtering into Argentina, coincidentally gathered momentum with a number of EQ's.

Iceland is still rocking along with tremors/EQ's of varying sizes. The volcanic action there is increasing (fissures) the last time I had a quick check.

France, Greece, Turkey, Spain, Gibraltar, Italy, far northern reaches/coasts of the Arabian Sea, the Caspian Sea, a Mediterranean Sea, the North sea, the Atlantic (middle/upper), as examples may come up with tremors.....?

I get a feeling that a depth between two islands may come up with a decent quake (M4++?) which may cause some water behaviour issues (not on a major scale)....

More tremors have been coming up inland on Oz, as I felt may become a 'trend' in current times. To me this shows 'tension' is possibly gravitating inland from the pressures being placed on the Oz plate from nearly all directions (Indian Ocean, Tasman, Timor, Coral Seas and below Oz)....?

The western side of the Pacific seems to have a good run of EQ's in the last couple of days. Japan (and/or surrounds) may come up with some more movement and I feel that a rather odd place (elsewhere) may come up with an M3 or M4.

There may be one of those lulls coming up in general EQ activity, which may be proceeded with an M5+ or M5++..?

For now (unless I get a brainwave of some sort sleep ) , Duck.

#1276252 - 11/09/2014 23:46 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

With the X class solar flare going to impact Earth in some way (beyond my level of knowledge and understanding - leaving that to the Solar Watch thread wink ) in the next couple of days - I thought I'd actually try and read up on some science on the subject of whether such large flares have been seen to impact EQ's around the globe.

Well, some of the 'science' articles I read had me a little bamboozled, so I'll just go back to the 'simple-old-amateur-me' ways of feeling what I think may occur following the 'blow-out' from the sun and a possible (???) relationship to EQ activity.

To start with, several weeks ago I started to feel uncomfortable (feelings) about a major solar 'explosion' - which could be this pesky X class flare - which could cause quite an interest in its behavior for us earthlings. I also felt that electrical grids and some other 'metal/electrical' things may be affected by degrees. "Colours galore" also came up in my mind as extra thoughts (this may be the aurora's this flare may cause). But what actually happens regarding the things I have mentioned here we will see (I am not talking of disaster).

In regards to any potential EQ activity activated by the flare, I tend to get a sneaking suspicion that there may be a 1 or 2 day delay (???) between the effects of the flare crossing paths with the Earth and any larger EQ's activity. I have no proof that there will even be a geomagnetic (or other) related influence or spike (in larger EQ's) as a result of the X class flare and related solar stuff - my thoughts are just 'itches' or feelings I get and I could be totally wrong - as I always say.

It will be interesting to observe (and I know there will be scientists who think I am just a dim Duck) if there is any sort of 'pattern' (flare and larger EQ's) which shows up after this solar event.

As I always say (and probably annoyingly repeat), take what I say with a pinch of salt.

That larger quake I felt was possibly going to come up between 2 islands ( at a depth - not shallow) did come up in the Molucca Sea (M6+) - this was very close to the location I felt this quake would occur and a position between 2 islands almost to a 'tee' of what I was feeling may occur.

For the moment, Duck.

#1276368 - 13/09/2014 19:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Well there has been a definite uptick in the number of quakes up to the M5 range in the last 24 hours or so. Whether this has anything to do with the X class flare and associated solar activity I don't know...

There was a decent small movement across quite a few of the South Australian seismo's about an hour ago. My guess is that a region near Mount Rat may have been the focal point for this possible M2 or M3 or ?. Nothing has come up on the Geoscience website as yet... There is also a small chance that the movement on the seismo's may have captured some of the movement from the Molucca Sea M4.2 20 minutes before that, but I still feel the seismo's registered something in SA.

There have been alot of 'regular' locations which have had tremors/EQ's in the last 24 hours, though there was one which caught my eye and that was on a northern tip of the part of Antarctica - which is due south of the southern most tip of South America.

Britain came up with another tremor yesterday and I feel they may feel another or two tremors in the next week. In my amateur opinion I feel that the activity involving Iceland and the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and energy possibly feeding in and around the western Mediterranean, may be affecting the British Isles and France (and surrounds).

When my internet decides it is going to stop mucking up (has been over the last 24 hours) I may post some more stuff later or tomorrow. May be lucky to post this blurb.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (13/09/2014 19:57)

#1276556 - 15/09/2014 20:37 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

My internet is a total pain in the @#@ at the moment. We are also having several small power outages (a few seconds at a time) here and there (about 1 or 2 a day). So, I haven't posted as much as I usually do currently.

Anyway, the Mid-Atlantic Ridge is behaving as I expected it to. There have been EQ's dotted from the top, down to the bottom (about 3 of them) and one actually off the main plate edges - SE of the southern end of South America (off shore), which is quite an unusual spot.
I still get a feeling that the tremors coming up near Portugal and some other western coastal regions facing into the Atlantic may be being influenced to move because of (maybe) some energy coming also from the Atlantic Ridge. The lands east of the latest Central-Mid-Atlantic Ridge quake may (???) respond with a tremor (e.g. Sierra Leone, Liberia etc..).

There was a tremor in the SE of Missouri, which is very close (if not on) the New Madrid fault line system. I have had the words "New Madrid" stuck in my mind lately, and if this is not the area to move at some point, there may be another related location to come up with a tremor (??).
Back over to Oklahoma - there are awfully regular movements there. I feel this may be building up to an M3+(+?) at some point - and not just relieving pressures gradually.
I feel we may see a tremor come up in the eastern region of the U.S. - e.g. towards NY/NY and or further up towards the border with Canada - maybe near Montreal -> Quebec -> Rimouski ???
Something is twigging at me regarding the Mississippi River as well. "Jones..." or "...boro" are some partial words which are sticking with me too.
I dunno why, but "Dakota" is coming up in my mind as well for a tremor...?

Other partial words (or names containing) too are - "...ville", "Fort ...", "green", "falls", "bluff".

In Oz, the letter "c" is sticking a little with me. A 'border' and "B" are a couple. Portland too.

All of my 'feelings' and sticking 'points' above may mean zilch, zippo and nothing.

I am off to shut down my internet and reset it. May be back later or tomorrow with more bits.

For now, Duck.

#1276682 - 16/09/2014 20:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Sweden's M4.7 was a good rattler for the folks there. This quake occurred away from plate edges and some folks there thought the potential of a quake would more than likely only occur near the plate edges. To me it seems that if there is an unknown fault there, that one has just made itself known in no uncertain terms. Some news sites are saying that this quake was the largest for Sweden in the last 100 years, but there was an M4.2 in the south of Sweden in 2008.
This movement for Sweden may be related to the energy I have been mentioning regarding the Atlantic - but I could be wrong.

The Atlantic Ridge is still playing up.

Japan's M5.6 (on land) set off a good rattle for the folks there too. Apparently, in some places, the EQ warning system failed to activate. I'm not sure how widespread this was (EQ warning) but a little surprising given the amazing technology the Japanese have there.

Lower SW of Western Australia is having a bit of a tremor cluster going on at the moment. This may continue.

That SA tremor I saw come up on the Mount Rat seismo seems to be a tremor in the SE of Burra. SA is still popping up with the odd tremor, but WA seems to be the place with more regular activity at the moment.

Extra volcanoes are showing signs of activity in countries north of Australia. I'll check on the names tomorrow. One in particular has been considered 'silent' till now.

Greece, or nearby may come up with an M4+ and I still feel that there is a large quake brewing somewhere.....

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (16/09/2014 20:17)

#1276713 - 17/09/2014 10:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I mentioned Greece in my last post as maybe going to experience an M4+. As I was typing my last post and M3.9 occurred in southern Greece and was luckily not the M4+ I felt may be the one to disturb them there.

There was a rather distinct spike on a Melbourne seismo last night (actually on a privately operated seismo in Newstead just NW of Melbourne). At the same time several other seismo's in SA, back towards Adelaide and up a bit, also registered corresponding (though much smaller than the Newstead seismo) movements. Will wait and see if Geoscience registers an M2'ish for the Vic tending on the western side (or NW or SW'ish) of the state or if a tremor occurred right near Newstead.

I have been getting a gut-feeling that there is 'energy' creaping around the western side of Vic - including SA from Kangaroo Island upwards and up towards Mount Rat. To better describe this - imagine a triangle'ish shape with the points from Mount Rat -> Kangaroo Island -> SE of Melbourne. But I think one of my 'squiggle maps' may be better again to explain what I mean.

Image snippet (map) courtesy of Geoscience/uploaded with Imageshack.

Not all of the triangle volume is meant to represent 'energy' (in my mind) flooding the whole of this area. But this is the very general region where I feel there may be odd portions of 'energies' lurking up and around on occasions. Remember, I am no scientist - and could be way off here.

The lines represent what I feel are where some of this energy may be running or may have the potential to disperse to.
The NSW 'line', I feel receives some 'energy' from a westbound 'push' here and there from the Tasman Sea, which sometimes may send offshoots of energy inland to beyond the ranges or valleys east of the ranges (e.g. Sept. 7th tremor near Jagumba NSW).

There are more lines and squiggles I could add to a total map of Australia and the areas shown above - as to where in my mind's eye I feel (as an amateur observer) there may be the odd reactive spot (area of potential movement). When I get time to do this, and when I am 'tuned in' with no other distractions, will hopefully be this week sometime.

As I have gabbled on about before, regarding mentioning my suspicions that there will be tremors coming up inland in Oz, which has been happening, I still feel that this may be because some fairly 'silent' fault lines and some susceptible spots for pressures may be responding to the activity in the Oz plate and the 'forces' causing it to be driven northward. There may be other types of energies helping this process too.

Anyway, take my jottings with a pinch of salt, as I always say.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (17/09/2014 10:24)

#1276717 - 17/09/2014 10:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again,

Just adding to my last post today, Geoscience has put up, as that tremor I saw occur (Newstead seismo) as a tremor of M2.3 near the Grampians, NE of Hamilton.

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1276734 - 17/09/2014 17:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Little ol' me again folks.

An M7.1 in Guam! I knew that there was going to be a substantial quake today in the Pacific. I was feeling that it may have been going to be a bit closer to Japan, but didn't want to say in case I was fear mongering and wrong.

At this stage, there don't seem to be any reports of serious damage, but some folks there have reported feeling scared/frightened and felt a swaying movement along with any shaking. Let's hope all is well there. Though there may be no tsunami (officially) generated, there may be some water behaviour disturbances.

Vanuatu has also almost simultaneously come up with just under an M6...similar depth to Guam's M7+. I'll go out on a limb and say I feel they are related.

Gotta go atm., may be back later.

For now, Duck.

#1276735 - 17/09/2014 17:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Sorry folks, this is my 4th post for today.

I meant to mention that about 20 minutes ago we had a booming sound here (not loud) and the windows rattled in the house. Also felt a small jolt. I don't know what it was at this stage - if it was an explosion or an earth movement. Will see if anything is noted anywhere.

Duck.

#1276773 - 18/09/2014 00:31 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
Another decent tremor just now up Hallett/peterborough way in SA (near the other recent ones). this one felt by quite a few apparently...

#1276774 - 18/09/2014 00:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: teckert]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi teckert.

Yep, I was watching the seismo's as this one came up. It rattled seismo's all over SA and into Victoria too.

Geoscience was on to this one immediately - pegged at a preliminary M3.1 (0 depth) near Burra (again).

Will see if Geoscience updates the size of this in the morning.

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1276794 - 18/09/2014 11:09 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just a quick update on the South Australian tremor near Burra.
Geoscience has pegged the depth at 14 kms. It was registered on seismo's in WA, Qld., NSW/Canberra and Victoria. It was even picked up as far a way on a seismo in Mount Isa (Qld) - which tells me that it may have also been noted on seismo's in the Northern Territory.
There was also another tremor near Gladstone in SA at about luchtime yesterday.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (18/09/2014 11:10)

Page 77 of 154 < 1 2 ... 75 76 77 78 79 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
sharjay
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image