NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#1502844 - 17/07/2019 17:42 Snow outside the Snowies
Yowie Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Hastings, VIC (but from Dapto ...
I'm after a list (if possible) of towns in Australia that get snow at least once every couple of years or so that are NOT in the Snowies.

Guyra and Katoomba are two examples that generally get a dusting a couple of times a year. I'm sure there are more, but I'm not sure where to find this information.

Thanks

#1502854 - 18/07/2019 17:43 Re: Snow outside the Snowies [Re: Yowie]
Brett Guy Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
Liaweene in Tas.

#1502870 - 19/07/2019 18:10 Re: Snow outside the Snowies [Re: Yowie]
Steve777 Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Artarmon (Sydney North Shore)
Most locations in NSW above about 900 metres would get snow a couple of times year. Snow occasionally falls as low as 600 metres in the Central Tablelands.

It might pay to have a look at a topographic map with contours.

You might also want to look through the snow forum on this site, especially the 'event' threads.

NSW Central Tablelands: Orange, Lithgow, Blue Mountains town's from Leura to Mt Victoria. Oberon and nearby localities / villages. Black Springs. Crookwell further South.

NSW Southern Tablelands / Highlands: Goulburn and Canberra (about 550-650 metres) get snow every few years. Bowral, Mittagong, Moss Vale and Robertson in the Southern Highands (about 700 metres) get snow about once every couple of years.

New England: In the North, snow is less frequent but Armadale, Glen Innes and nearby small towns get occasional snow.

The Barrington Tops, North of the Hunter, get snow most years, but there are no towns.

Residents from the above areas or ant town that receives snow might want to add or correct.

#1502897 - 21/07/2019 18:01 Re: Snow outside the Snowies [Re: Yowie]
DerekHV Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Aberglasslyn (Maitland) NSW
I was only just reading that a ski slope was going to be built at the Barrington Tops, 1500 metres, just north of where I live.
The land was cleared and has since regrown.
It snows there every year, but nobody lives there. (criminal Malcolm Naden was hiding up there for a few years though).
You often hear of it snowing in Tassie down to 400-500 metres, which is rare in NSW, so no doubt it is more frequent down there.
Ballarat in Victoria is a large sized town that gets snow as well.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
caffeinated, Chaser_James, coffeeman, rhyso, Shear-iously
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529242 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image