Page 68 of 68 < 1 2 ... 66 67 68
Topic Options
#172650 - 23/11/2008 10:46 Re: NRL Season 2008 ..................Who Will Win
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
Slater was certainly deserved of man of the series. The guy had an awesome run.

#172651 - 23/11/2008 11:14 Re: NRL Season 2008 ..................Who Will Win
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Kirwan, Townsville - NQld.
i wouldnt call this world cup very succesful, crowds were poor, tv ratings were poor general intrest in the competition was low.
the highlight was last nights result. and really the australian team should hang their heads in shame at such a poor result.
2017 Yearly total to date - 705.0mm (1122mm)

#172652 - 23/11/2008 14:01 Re: NRL Season 2008 ..................Who Will Win
Dave-Wx Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Heritage Park, Brisbane, QLD
I was planning on writing a paragraph or two but now I have a short essay - my apologies :p

I think the aim of the World Cup was (aside from finding a winner of course) to provide as many competitive and entertaining matches as possible - which they were very successful at providing. With 3 of the best teams in 1 group, and everyone else in the 2 other groups the end result was quite a success.

Who would've thought that Fiji would smash France (who are supposed to be the 4th best team in the world) 42-6! The pacific islands and PNG showed some serious improvement, and displayed more heart than some of the top teams *cough* England *cough*. The amount of NRL-class talent in these teams is getting higher by the year. Also well done to Scotland for winning their first ever match in a World Cup...against Fiji!

I expect a fair few more test matches between the pacific islands plus NZ and PNG in the next few years before the next World Cup. I also reckon one of Samoa/Fiji/Tonga/PNG will knock off NZ or England at the next World Cup. I believe there will be a South Pacific Cup in 2009, and a European Cup in 2010 in the leadup to the next World Cup in 2013.

The World Cup made a $5 million surplus, which is the first time at least in recent memory this has happened.

Crowds were pretty much on par with your average league crowds in Australia at their respective venues, though hats off to Brisbanites for turning up after the paranoia about storms yesterday from the media and that fool Anna Bligh! 50,599 at Suncorp...fantastic crowd! Also nice to see 36,000 turn up at the Dome to watch Australia vs England in AFL heartland! :p Which I also hear was up against the international rules game and the Melbourne Cup weekend!

A number of the games were moved outside of the capital cities to places like Browne Park in Rockhampton - sure they 'only' got 6,000 to the game there, but it was a SELLOUT! Of course it does nothing for the overall crowd average but fantastic to see the game taken to regional areas. Lots of games were scheduled on Sundays (probably Ch 9's preference) as well as Mondays and Wednesdays which is not as good for crowds as Friday nights or Saturdays.

Poor TV ratings can be laid at the foot of Ch 9 and the RLWC organisers. Horrible promotion from the organisers and poor treatment of the games by Ch 9 - almost all games delayed by things like 60 Minutes, when they stated before the World Cup began that most matches would show live (especially the big ones and the matches involving Australia). Instead, if you're living in QLD, most of the games in NSW had finished by the time it started on TV!

Finally, I've got to mention certain sections of the media taking pot shots at the World Cup before it had even started - the amount of "waste of time" and "joke tournament" articles doing the rounds was pathetic. I can't really remember any major sports tournament treated like this in Australia before. Last nights result really showed them up as a bunch of ignorant fools!

#172653 - 14/12/2008 09:38 Re: NRL Season 2008 ..................Who Will Win
nitso Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Kirwan
Guys,

I don't often give stores a plug but the NRL store is having a massive sale on. I just bought 100 bux worth of stuff that would normally retail for close to a grand.

check it out. Not much stuff left, but if you love the lesser supported teams you can still buy polo shirts for 5 bux and tees for 3 bux. Really low postage too. An ideal gift for someone maybe. Note that I'm in no way affiliated with this shop, I just thought it would be a great bargain for some people and felt like I had to share smile
https://www.nrlshop.com/

Page 68 of 68 < 1 2 ... 66 67 68

Who's Online
4 registered (RC, DarrylS, Hagrid, 1 invisible), 245 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Canoncloud, Deanmc, skylark, tornado freak, vic
Forum Stats
29370 Members
32 Forums
23686 Topics
1462562 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image