Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#186736 - 14/07/2002 11:24 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tweed Coast
Thanks for the updates Liz smile

The area immediately to the E of Newland Head is also an amazing vantage point to look at the whales as well when they are moving towards Waitpinga; the cliffs are really abrupt and the view is incredible. I'd most definitely be heading that way if I was down there! Access is via the Waitpinga camping ground where it's a 30 minute walk from there. Definitely worth the effort.

#186737 - 14/07/2002 14:03 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

Loc: Near Victor Harbor S.A.
Hi Thermalben, Kings Beach is my favourite viewing spot, as you look down/across to the Whales. This morning while they were moving along, you could see them under the water as it was calm. One whale turned fully around, which I had never seen before, wondered if something was bothering it. I suppose you are wondering what the surf was like at Kings, well,it was o.k. if you were a learner, and prepared to wait for a neat wave. I have heard the whale spotting plane fly over,don't know if they can see the whales. Continues to be a nice sunny day here. Liz.

#186738 - 14/07/2002 20:23 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
Its great to see a good whale season this year after average years b4....The whales sure like Middleton!!! petrol Cove and Kings beaches are great for a surf...ill be going ona south coast trip this weekend and will try to bodyboard every beach apart from Waits....thats well beyond my level...hope to see some whales rounnd laugh

TS cool

#186739 - 15/07/2002 16:29 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

Six Southern Right Whales now 200 metres off shore at Basham's Beach, near Middleton. (? do I keep posting info about whale sightings) Liz.

#186740 - 15/07/2002 21:17 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Whoa did u say 6!!!!! eek man thats a fair flock....is that what u call em..lol???

Yeah its great to have a local posting info about the whales and where they are being sighted...keeps me informed an many others who read ur posts. Keep up the great work :cheers:

TS cool

#186741 - 16/07/2002 16:35 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

Hi thunderstruck, thanks for the above, I will keep posting. If the local paper on Thursday gives any info about whale sightings on the South Coast, especially the numbers sighted for the season I will post these newsy bits. Might even go into the Whale centre and check this out. A guy surfing at Middleton the other day was stoked to see whales close by. Sitting on the rocks off Surf street is a good spot to watch the whales when they come in close there, then you have an idea how big they are!and easily see their barnacles. A heap of whales sighted together is called a pod( I think!) Hope you are enjoying your break,Liz.

#186742 - 17/07/2002 12:07 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

Two whales, two calves now at vicinity of Basham's Beach. P.s. before you shout out there they are! make sure they are moving etc, as Frenchmans Rocks are nearby, mistaken many a time for a whale! Liz.

#186743 - 17/07/2002 15:15 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

We sat in the car on the roadside by the Port Elliot Tourist Park to watch these whales, but they were a bit sluggish as far as activity goes. We saw a pectoral fin, not sure if adult or baby's due to distance. ATM there are a few showers occuring. The whales are by the chicken run, (neat surf today). I called in to the S.A. Whale centre at Victor Harbor (located by the Crown Hotel) and found out that they have a interesting website www.sawhalecentre.com There have been 40 days of whale sightings so far this season. At the Centre you can obtain free, the S.A. whale watching information booklet which is very informative. Not far from this Centre is a whales tail fountain. Liz.

#186744 - 17/07/2002 19:01 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by liz:
The whales are by the chicken run, (neat surf today)
I imagine they were finding some shelter from the large swell running - the Bashams Reef area has had quite a bit of surf over the last few days which no doubt would scare the smaller calves.
Thanks for the updates Liz smile

#186745 - 18/07/2002 16:40 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

Whales close to shore, vicinity of Middleton Point. Liz

#186746 - 20/07/2002 10:31 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

A Humpback Whale was sighted down here yesterday. ATM a beautiful day, to sit in the sun watching the whales. Liz

#186747 - 23/07/2002 14:12 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

whales off Basham's Beach today. As the sea is calm, you can see the whales resting at the surface and blowing, with the occasional flukes display. Liz.

#186748 - 30/07/2002 15:32 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

The whales are still here. I have been sitting in the sun watching four Southern Right Whales and calves putting on a great display 150 metres off shore at Basham's Beach and Middleton Point area. Apparently there are a total of eight whales from Freeman's knob to Middleton Beach. The conditions are ideal to whale watch, making the callosities easily seen, even without binoculars. One whale looked as if it was purposely coming in on the big surf that is running, then it would go out to sea a small way, then come in again. They come in so close to the rocks. One whale was pec slapping and I could hear the smack on the water. Another was just resting at surface and blowing, and its neighbour did a body roll,its pec glistening in the sun. Saw the calves pec fin too, and their blow. Guys are surfing close by. Apparently the other day there were dolphins and seals around too. Liz.

#186749 - 30/07/2002 15:59 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

I forgot to mention in the above post, that the S.A. whale centre at Victor reported last week that the calves may begin to interact with each other soon. Today there was considerable distance between the whales. Obviously the whales will continue to be here for a while. One year people were flying in from overseas just to come down to watch the whales who were close in at Victor. Liz.

#186750 - 31/07/2002 20:42 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

Only sighted four whales today and two calves by Basham's Beach. There was an offshore wind blowing and the whales seemed to be moving around more, even cruising closer together. You could certainly see how big these whales are, especially their width. The calves were pec slapping and very active. I noticed a calve in front of its mother and was interested to note in the whale info booklet that this is called Bow riding. The newborn calves often swim just in front of their mother, riding the bow waves in front of her head. Young calves turn towards their mother and nuzzle her mouth to keep in close contact. Liz.

#186751 - 31/07/2002 20:52 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Interesting stuff on the calves, Liz.

I still haven't managed to find time to get around that area - the surf has been so good up the gulf! However this weekend looks like it might stir up some a bit of weather that will send them looking for some slight shelter - nothing spectacular wind and wave wise, but considering the great spell they've had over the last few weeks we might see them inside Granite Island...that'd be nice!

Thanks again for all the updates - they are appreciated smile

#186752 - 31/07/2002 21:17 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

Hello Thermalben, thank you for the reply. I am feeling like a one man band, plodding along writing about the whales and unsure if I should continue. Yes, it would be great to have them here in the bay again, then I would only have to walk five minutes to watch them. One year they were in so close to the shore they must have been scraping on the seabed. These supposed 80 tonne giants were also alongside the Screwpile jetty and the breakwater by Granite Island. People were everywhere in such a easy viewing area. When the whales were down by the Hindmarsh River, I suppose you read in the paper how their mating noises during the night kept the locals awake. Liz.

#186753 - 01/08/2002 16:13 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

It was learn to swim day in the whale nursery. Mothers and calves were cruising from Middleton to Bashams, then turning around. One calve was very playful, swimming away from its mother and showing off all he could by spy hopping and pec fin waving. Mother whale did a body roll then later a flukes display. Calves are 4m-5m in length when born, and put on weight quickly drinking their mother's milk. Growing 90kg. everyday they rapidly increase their size, strength and confidence. Liz.

#186754 - 05/08/2002 14:59 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

Despite a estimated 30 knot offshore wind blowing at Basham's beach and churning up the sea today, the whales are continuing to exercise and be more active. (Victor is not as windy as Middleton today, even the seagulls are having trouble standing still!) One calve was frequently spy hopping around its mother, exercising its pec and doing the occasional body roll. The whale watching info booklet states that by the end of the winter young Southern Right whale calves have grown to 8 metres in length and weigh several thousand kilograms. They have built up enough strength to migrate back to the Southern Ocean with their mother for summer and now have enough blubber to survive in the cold water there. Liz.

#186755 - 05/08/2002 15:10 Re: Whales near Victor Harbor
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Good to see that the whales are still enjoying the south coast environment....I persoanlly havent been down there to see them even though I wanted to take a surf trip down there I couldnt make it dammitt.....now im back at uni but if the surf is nice one weekend and im free in terms of work then ill be down there like a shot.

Enjoy smile

TS cool

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >

Who's Online
2 registered (Wild Wassa, Skysthelimit), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
batty
Forum Stats
29370 Members
32 Forums
23688 Topics
1462495 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image