Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#199956 - 05/06/2006 20:08 Re: Parents Retreat
RainbowsEnd Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Cornubia, Brisbane
Quote:
Originally posted by shayne b / frontera:
i found out this afternoon that "tartzilla" shares something else in common with me, frown she got her first full blown migraine, the whole sickening, tunnel vision nightmare, poor little bugger..the slightest little noise..anything brighter then an open door into an unlit hallway has her whimpering..shes had a dose of nurofen and is quiet for now...asleep, i only hope that lots of water and a quiet cool nights sleep will get rid of it..i have a feeling i may have company tomorrow for my day off.. frown
Shayne, dont you hate that!!! My little girl gets them too, and she really goes out for the count when they happen. Thankfully she hasnt had one for a while. I think they are being brought on by the dryness and dust at the moment... I feel like i have been on the verge of one for days!!

Dont know if this will help - but I find that Tanielle feels a bit better when she has a cool washer on her head and over her eyes.. might be a worth a try!

Hope she is feeling better in the morning! Good luck! smile

#199957 - 05/06/2006 20:40 Re: Parents Retreat
Shayne Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Cedar Grove SEQ
thanks for that RainbowsEnd, shes got one of those cold medi masks on at the moment...she woke up about 20 Min's ago and threw up...poor kid...oh well...lots of water and quiet for now...see how she is in the morning.. :rolleyes:

#199958 - 05/06/2006 21:05 Re: Parents Retreat
RainbowsEnd Offline
Weatherzone Addict

.... fingers crossed .....

#199959 - 06/06/2006 07:17 Re: Parents Retreat
Chewy1 Offline

Loc: Victoria Point, Brisbane.
Quote:
Originally posted by shayne b / frontera:
thanks for that RainbowsEnd, shes got one of those cold medi masks on at the moment...she woke up about 20 Min's ago and threw up...poor kid...oh well...lots of water and quiet for now...see how she is in the morning.. :rolleyes:
Bugger that shayne,that must be terrible.I have only ever had one migrane and i think that was because i made the mistake of putting a heat pack on my head.Lasted 3 days and it was living hell.Your poor daughter,shes only little isnt she? Hope shes feeling HEAPS better thismorning.Sending her my best wishes.

#199960 - 06/06/2006 07:37 Re: Parents Retreat
Sue Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Hazelbrook
My second eldest Alexandra used to get them quite often and even more so the closer she got to puberty. In the end the doctor put her on medication, a pill a day, to stop them from coming. Once she made it through those beginning puberty months they settled right down and she no longer takes the medication. She's probably down to about one a year now.

#199961 - 06/06/2006 08:28 Re: Parents Retreat
Shayne Offline

Loc: Cedar Grove SEQ
until i started on medication i use to get chronic migraine...I'm talking twice a week...and sometimes for days on end...nothing like getting a pethidine shot and having less then 10 Min's to get home from the doctors before it was time for lights out..now i use a treatment called Cafergot that is basically pure caffeen, it acts at a stimulant and opens up all the blood vestals and lets more oxygen through into the brain..that much caffeen can be too harsh on a 6 year old so we are going to have to find out what triggers it, hopefully its just an isolated one off..migraine turned my life into a misery when i was her age.

shes fine this morning..just a little hungary..and none of that weird swimmy feeling that you get if its lingering..if you know what I'm talking about..

#199962 - 06/06/2006 09:39 Re: Parents Retreat
tornadochaser_76 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Dark Side of the Moon
The post migraine surrealism - know it well....yur head feels like its detached from your body, you can till feel the pain, but its like youre in shock, and in some sort of dreamy state....

I havent had a migraine since april, but i was getting them once a week at one stage...theyre crippling....maybe its all the no-doze ive been taking since the twins came....

#199963 - 06/06/2006 17:21 Re: Parents Retreat
RainbowsEnd Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Glad to hear she is better today Shayne.. migraines are NOT good! I too have been to the docs for the pethadine shot.. not good. Thankfully my headache seems to have eased today and not gone into migraine mode. I actually havent had one for ages *crosses fingers and touches wood*

#199964 - 07/06/2006 15:16 Re: Parents Retreat
Chewy1 Offline

Ok so..the kids have all been at school all day and cooper has been at daycare,and...i ahve been bored out of my mind! I went to the shops with my sister but it just wasnt the same not having to find cooper and penny under racks of clothes and having doughnut spread all over the back of my pants.Whats going on,i must be going thru separation anxiety or something,the house is clean the washings done and i am supposed to be having my first real day off in 11 years and enjoying it? Right now im counting down the minutes till the kids get home so i can go pick up cooper and get ready for football.This HAS to be abnormal behaviour?

#199965 - 07/06/2006 15:18 Re: Parents Retreat
Chewy1 Offline

Here they arreeee!!!!
you watch...there will be a post in this same thread in an hour or so,from me stressing out about having them home?Can i win lol.

#199966 - 07/06/2006 16:37 Re: Parents Retreat
Chewy1 Offline

See!! lol here i am again...stressed already.GRRRR lol guess i cant win.

#199967 - 07/06/2006 17:36 Re: Parents Retreat
Wet Snow Offline

Loc: Mena, Polk County, Arkansas; e...
Hello: I'm not a parent, but I can offer this advice: If possible, don't just have 1 child. I think 1 of each (boy & girl) would be perfect.

I'm an only child and when I was young, my parents & grandparents SPOILED ME ROTTEN. It's something I still have to keep under control as I could be the most Selfish person in the world--if I wanted to. Thankfully I'm older & wiser and can keep those issues well under control.

As for being an only child: MANY pros and cons. I'm not saying my childhood wasn't happy--I had/have great friends, but most times I had to keep myself occupied with my own little games (playing in sandbox, playing in the pond, etc). There is loneliness to battle, which is one reason I Thank GOD for dogs. I've always had Dogs and--to me--they're part of the family. IMO if humans had some dog traits (protectiveness, unconditional love, non-judgmental, unprejudiced, etc) the world would be a much better place. If it weren't for dogs, I'm not sure how much sanity I'd have left...LOL...
I OFTEN wonder what'd it be like with brothers/sisters.
What have I missed by being an only child...having to share everything (toys, etc.) trying to sleep in bed without having the covers yanked off of you/being squished/being almost shoved off the bed; having to "fight" for things--bathroom time, toys, food; having your siblings go through your "private stuff", having siblings who are "tattletales". etc. It sounds like a drag, but all-in-all, I think it'd be a challenge and pretty fun to have brothers/sisters. Don't know which I'd want to be: I've heard the oldest has it bad as they bear more responsibility, the middle one feels ignored, and the youngest one is "babied" by the parents, incurring the ire of the middle and older child.

I know it's hard, but as much as possible, Please try to NOT show favoritism with your kids. I've seen it happen and it's only breeding problems in the future.
IMO, being a parent (a good one) has to be the toughest job in the world. You can read Parenting Manuals, but each kid is unique (so that info. may or may not work).

To me, it's SO SAD that the majority of kids/young people today feel that no one loves them, they aren't worth anything, they are ignored, they feel there is no hope, etc., It's no wonder that masses of them try to dull the pain with alcohol, drugs, sex, etc; tragic when they attempt suicide. It also saddens me to no end to hear of kids abused (physically/sexually) in any way; childhood is supposed to be a happy time of life, unfortunately that is not the case with far too many children.

IMO the Biggest Advantage a child can have is a loving (Christian) home, with a very positive atmosphere; discipline tempered with LOVE.

Oh well, I suppose the Good Lord allowed me to be an only child as that I Value/Cherish/LOVE People Very Much. And since I'm a Christian, I belong to the Biggest & Best "family" anyone could want (as everybody--whether you know it or not--is related to each other; so now I have a multitude of "brothers" and "sisters"!!!)...I'm also Blessed enough to be able to still live with my Awesome Saintly Mother!!!

Cheers~~~Wet Snow

#199968 - 08/06/2006 16:06 Re: Parents Retreat
Chewy1 Offline

I was thinking about Wet Snows last post,i dont think i show favoritism with my kids,although i seem to be able to relate better to my boys than i do my daughter.I put this down to being a tom boy growing up,i was closest to my younger brother adam and i grew up in a street full of boys,i spent arvos and weekends playing football or cricket out in the street,i played football with Nathan Long,he ended up playing 1st grade for cronulla for a while till he was injured...anyway..yeah,im not much of a girly girl where as Jessi is.Shes into nails and dresses and pretty things and i cant relate to that very well,i have more fun playing footy out the back with the boys,my nails are horrible and the last time i wore a dress i was forced to for a wedding,i love my jeans.Sooooo..i was thinking that maybe i should make more of an effort with jess,my sister is the one that does her nails and all that and jess loves going there because its all girls over there.I hope that its not favoritism im showing,i havent seen it that6 way before but maybe it is? *goes to get the nail polish from wherever nail polish is kept*...

#199969 - 08/06/2006 20:09 Re: Parents Retreat
RainbowsEnd Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I believe, although I'm sure my mother would disagree, that I was NOT the favourite between my sister and I. I felt Mum blatently favoured her, and that I often took the wrap for things my sister had done, because "that was just the way it was". Its a long story, and certainly not the story of a great childhood, but it did teach me something...

No child is more or less important than another. And no child should feel that they are more or less important than another. I have been absolutely adamant that favouritism would not happen with my children, ever since I discovered there were three of them. (Well, after the shock wore off!)

To tell the truth, it really hasn't been a problem though. I can see the absolutely fabulous gifts that each of them have, and am proud of each of them for the little person that they are, and the personality traits that make each of them unique. I honestly could not pick a favourite.... I dont have one!

That doesnt mean to say, like Chewy was saying, that I wouldnt rather do one particular activity with them more than another. Thats not favouritism Chewy, thats life!! We all like different things, we all get pleasure from different things. I'm sure if you thought about it, you would be able to come up with just as many things you do with Jess as you do with the boys.

And to be honest, like a lot of things in life, I think it is often the people who bury their heads in the sand and would never consider that they could ever do that to their children, who are the ones more likely to be doing it. Simply because they never to stop and check themselves on it.

You are a great Mum Chewy... I can tell! Don't doubt yourself!!! smile

#199970 - 10/06/2006 07:56 Re: Parents Retreat
Chewy1 Offline

THanks R.E. Funny how someone can make a comment and it makes you think about something in a totally different light though hey.I think what you said R.E is very true about parents who dont even consider that they could do that are probably the ones who are guilty of it.I reckon that each day of the week,at least 3 or 4 times,i think about how i am treating the kids..whether they will be able to look back on thier childhoods with as happy memories as i have with mine..whether or not i have been fair with the decisions i have made regarding thier punishments i have given during the week,all that kinda stuff.I suppose thats all a parent can really do hey..apart from talk to the kids about thier feelings which i do often.In thinking about that,i realised that i probably think about jess's feelings more than i do the boys lol,her being the only girland having to put up with all those boys!

#199971 - 10/06/2006 10:03 Re: Parents Retreat
RainbowsEnd Offline
Weatherzone Addict

You know, I whinge and complain about the mess and trouble my children cause when they are here. But as soon as their father turns up on Saturday morning to take them for the weekend I feel like the whole world has been ripped from under me. Takes me 2 hours to get over it!! Can't win can you?

#199972 - 10/06/2006 10:15 Re: Parents Retreat
Chewy1 Offline

Nope,i dont know how you deal with that.I would find it hard.The father to my first three kids lives over in NZ,wont go into detail but we didnt work out and i came back to Aust about 7 years ago,he stayed there.I had 50 dollars in my pocket when i hopped on the plane to finally come home(my bro paid for the tickets) and i had no-where to stay.I got it all sorted out on my own(and felt great doing it) I left him with everything and didnt ask for a cent (didnt want one either from him) he never offered either.He rings the kids on birthdays and xmas,he pays 7bucks a month per child (which he hasnt payed since last oct) he runs his own fencing business ,has re-married and bought a house with heaps of land.
Point is..he thinks he can just ring me up and order me to send passport papers so that he can have the kids for xmas!! IN NZ!! He has seen them once for a week in 5 years! That means he would break up OUR family for xmas and cooper and matt would be lost without the others.Matt will not have anything to do with him after his last visit when he treated him as an outcast for some stupid reason.I get so angry with him.I tell him no you cant have the kids in NZ for xmas but you can come and see them whenever you want,he wont do that cause apparently its not the same.His parents havent spoken to the kids since the day we left,they blame me for all his stuff ups,and now they want to have them for holidays as well...where does he get off!

#199973 - 10/06/2006 10:50 Re: Parents Retreat
RainbowsEnd Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Wish mine would MOVE to New Zealand! (or any destination other than here actually)

It has been a year now but I still feel crap when he takes the kids. And I worry that something will happen to them while they are gone. Guess I should focus on the positive and think about all the things I can get done while they are gone. Still hard but!

I just dont think its fair that he gets to take the kids away when he was the one who made the choice to "befriend" his little hussie and then leave his family to be with her. (BEWARE CHEWY - there are husband stealers living in Victoria Point - small world!!)(Hope she doesnt live next door to ya! LOL) He gives me $35 a week (total) for the kids, contributes nothing else - rings them spasmodically - and yet gets to have them for weekends at his pleasure. How does that work???

For the last few months he has not turned up here without having a new (label) outfit on, he has bought himself all this new home theatre stuff, brand new Prado, the list goes on.... and I am busting my butt just to feed and clothe his children. I can't remember the last time I got new clothes!)

Sometimes feels like I am being punished... and I wasnt the one who did anything wrong....

frown

#199974 - 10/06/2006 11:46 Re: Parents Retreat
Chewy1 Offline

Its a small place R.E,i have probably run into her before.Not much i can say but i does seem that women get a raw deal at times...i know there are lots of guys out there who do the right thing and im not taking anything away from them.I even felt guilty when i left my ex in NZ on his own,i was so happy to find that he met someone else who his parents adored,a good little maori girl,and got married.I felt better then.I only felt a sense of a weight lifted off my shoulders when i left and that made me feel guilty.Still..he has his own life now and i wish he would just stick to it and leave us alone,he doesnt contribute enough to ask for what hes been asking for.The kids have a wonderful dad and his last name,they are happy and well adjusted,he will only bring confusion as far as im concerned,but even though i say all this i have never denied him seeing them as long as he makes the journey here,that,i have to admitt,is for my own benefit,i dont want the kids getting older and hormonal and blaming me for keeping him from them,he will never be able to tell them thats why he couldnt see them because it wont be true.

#199975 - 10/06/2006 12:19 Re: Parents Retreat
RainbowsEnd Offline
Weatherzone Addict

OHHH.. I wasn't meaning to suggest that the person who leaves a relationship is in the wrong.. every situation is different and I understand that sometimes this is for the best.

Guess I shouldnt complain, I have the children, and life will go on. Just feeling sorry for myself - gets lonely here without the kids and I would like my life back to how it was, but that's not going to happen I know. At least noone is around to rip the doona off me in the middle of the night when its freezing!

I'll live!! smile

P.s. Gawd - I hope you dont know her... now I'm worried I've been having a whinge to her best friend or something!!!!

eek

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 11 >

Who's Online
4 registered (dormant, Mad Elf #1.5, 2 invisible), 245 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Andrew_C, Bindon, Leasy, Nikko, rainthisway, sutek, Tropicana
Forum Stats
29368 Members
32 Forums
23683 Topics
1462002 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image