Page 1 of 59 1 2 3 ... 58 59 >
Topic Options
#224218 - 17/07/2008 20:53 Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
tornadochaser_76 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Dark Side of the Moon
I guess one of my many fascinations throuought life has always been flying....I do have a fear of it, but then again, I have had to travel by air many a time. I vaguely remember being on a flight from Perth to Melbourne on TAA in 1978? we were diverted via Alice Springs. Another flight, I was taken from Perth to Canberra via Sydney on a RAAF C130 - 9 hours of fun, according to my dad (including touch and go-arounds in Canberra).....I've flown on C130's quite a few times, Chanced it with Ansett more often than not, (including an A320 flight to Cairns where we were in the cockpit and hydraulics decided to pack it in - Flt AN4 BNE/CNS - 4 Oct 1997), and many other fun filled adventures.

Post your cool aviation pics, talk about your great airline & flying adventures, give the airlines that require a pat on the back one, and discuss the airlines and travel incidences and horrors that need to be offloaded......Jetstar are waaaay down on my airline list, and Virgin Blue ROCK.....

Funnily enough - Perth Airport Skywest / VB Terminal - as small and disorganised as it is...has ALCOHOL WIPES for the dunny seats - HOW COOL!!!

Some Links to my last flights as filmed on quality samsung digital can be found here:

http://tornadochaser76.blogspot.com/

or on the TUBE:

B747-300 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jNn3TRMuEI

Fokker F100 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdABvxCzauc

Have Fun - look forward to the images

Andre

#224219 - 17/07/2008 21:26 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
SBT Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
First flight. TAA 727 Perth Sydney, 2nd flight same day Sydney - Port Morseby DC3 (14 hours and 5 landings later we got there)1964
1964 Port Moresby to Lae Beachcraft Baron and return a week later.

Numerous trips around PNG and to to Perth until 1971.

1972 Port Moresby Cairns Townsville Focker Friendship hit by lightning 40 seconds after take off. Dead stick landing on emergency airstrip. 28 school kids onboard and 4 crew.

Military service flew all over Australia in a variety of aircraft, C130, Caribou, Squirrels, Sea Kings, Chinhooks, Blackhawks - Iroquoi crash landing Shoalwater Bay Training Area more of a semi controlled skid than a crash.

Worst flight - C130 tactical flying Pearce to Exmouth with female learner pilot. Less than 60ft most of 6 hours attempting escape and evasion tactics, NAPE of the earth etc. 90 of us threw up for around 5 hours.

Worst aircraft experience was at night tactically loading a land rover onto strops on a Chinhook and got squashed into the bonnet by the front left wheel of the Chinhook.

Best Airline - Qantas
Worst - Jetstar

#224220 - 17/07/2008 21:33 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
SBT Offline

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
I forgot a couple. Pilatus Porter was interesting to say the least only aircraft I have been in that can hover and fly backwards, at least it feels that way.
Dual seat Mirage in Maylaya was an asbsolute hoot.
Kiowa was loads of fun. Sort of like a motorbike on drugs, the fast kind. I loved flying with single pilots (unmarried) no fear.

#224221 - 17/07/2008 21:37 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
tornadochaser_76 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The kind of flying i wish I had a chance to experience........although I remember as a young lad being invited up to the cockpit of a C130 on my way to Fairbairn RAAF in Canberra (from Adelaide via Laverton)- witnessed flying over the Snowy mountains on sunset midwinter - magic stuff.....

#224222 - 17/07/2008 21:56 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
TrenthamStormchasers Offline

Loc: Trentham 705m
Best flight: landing in Darwin in the jump seat on a stormy night one Christmas in the mid 90's :bounce:

Worst flight: attempting a mid afternoon flight Perth - Melbourne in the 90's, flying a dog back too...3 attempts to take off, 3 returns to the terminal, computer shut down, dogs had to have water thrown over them in the hold - 42C on the tarmac, finally off the ground and 200kms out, we still hadn't got over 10,000' and the plane was turned around and shuddered all the way back to Perth landing in 42C - I'm not religious...but I prayed that day for the first and last time.

#224223 - 17/07/2008 22:26 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
Best flight: The ones with turbulence

Worst flight: When you can't sleep

TS cool

#224224 - 17/07/2008 22:28 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
rain gauge Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gorokan NSW 4klm West of the ...
First flight for me was an Ansett Airlines of Australia DC-9...Flown on most domestic airlines.IE Ansett australia, TAA, then became australian} Qantas, jetstar{same thing} East west airlines, Eastern Australia, Airlines of NSW,Qantaslink and virgin blue.......................Probably the most hairy ride for me was landing in Adelaide, coming in over the water, and the plane nearly dropped into the water, on a very windy day on approach, eek that was a 727.....And have also flown on a JAT }Yugoslavia air transport}737 From Adelaide to Sydney during the 1989 pilots strike...Biggest plane ive flown in is a 747sp, smallest was a F-27...Best airline in the world Qantas, also the safest :cheers: .

#224225 - 17/07/2008 22:28 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Andrew Miskelly Offline
Weatherzone Webmaster

Loc: Mittagong, NSW
A friend I've taken flying a few times YouTubed some of his P&S video snips. They may be of interest if you're into lighties or aerial views.

Low-level Sydney coastal to Wollongong

Expensive pie run to Cootamundra

#224226 - 17/07/2008 22:43 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
Quote:
Originally posted by rain gauge:
First flight for me was an Ansett Airlines of Australia DC-9...Flown on most domestic airlines.IE Ansett australia, TAA, then became australian} Qantas, jetstar{same thing} East west airlines, Eastern Australia, Airlines of NSW,Qantaslink and virgin blue.......................Probably the most hairy ride for me was landing in Adelaide, coming in over the water, and the plane nearly dropped into the water, on a very windy day on approach, eek that was a 727.....And have also flown on a JAT }Yugoslavia air transport}737 From Adelaide to Sydney during the 1989 pilots strike...Biggest plane ive flown in is a 747sp, smallest was a F-27...Best airline in the world Qantas, also the safest :cheers: .
Singapore Airlines want a word.

TS cool

#224227 - 18/07/2008 00:41 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
tornadochaser_76 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Never flown overseas, but I swear - the BEST airline has ALWAYS been VB - esp. with kids - the hosties clamour to help (plus they aint too hard on the ol' eyes, and they make flying enjoyable - paint the kiddies faces etc....)

Have flown Crapstar a few times, and frankly, dont ever want to again (even though the A320 is a great piece of equipment)....

Last Flight into Perth on Qantas: was on a 747-376: COMFY aircraft - actually - it was an exceptionally spacious and surprisingly quiet aircraft to fly on (Rolls Royce Engines?)but you had to trip up the QF Staff for help - conceited, lazy, and generally unhelpful. Qantas & Jetstar can learn a lesson or 3 from Virgin Blue about customer service!!!

#224228 - 18/07/2008 00:56 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
tornadochaser_76 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Had a look at those vids AM - VERY scenic! the coast S of SYD is certainly one to get stuck in a holding pattern over.......

#224229 - 18/07/2008 06:45 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Dawgggg Offline

Loc: Townsville
My first ever flight

Was from brisvegas to cairns in 1997 in january on a 737-400, on Ansett. The flight was good, nothing to bumpy or anything. When we arrived at cairns international, we had to go on our next flight which was from Cairns to Normanton. Let me just say that this plane was not big at all. From memory it was a banderanti........( spelling? ) Flying in a 18 seater or something in the middle of summer over the atherton tablelands was interesting let me just say. Also we flew through 3 thunderstorms landing into normanton which was quite scary!

We landed good though, and to our suprise our very first day was 40C and like 70% humidity, quite a change from toowoomba which was 16C.

Have been on 16 flights since, which have ranged from the 737-400 and 737-300 and the airbus A321. Which have ranged from Ansett, Translink, Virgin Blue, Qantas and Jetstar.

I will try post some pictures later. Those were the days when the pilots invited you up into the cockpit !

#224230 - 18/07/2008 22:20 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
tornadochaser_76 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Have put the latest up on o'l YouTube....Fokker F100 out of Perth - sitting RIGHT up the back (where families belong - according to Skywest), but the engine noises are awesome, as well as the vapour vortices just after the throttle is opened on the runway....pretty good stuff (IMHO).....

http://www.youtube.com/user/tornadochaser76

#224231 - 19/07/2008 07:31 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Greymouth - West Coast, NZ..
Hmm.. aircraft flown.

Qantas 747's (series unknown, one of the first)
Air NZ DC-10
United Airlines MD-11
Pan-Am 747 (series unknown)
TAA 727's 737's DC-9's pre Australian Airlines.
Ansett 727's 737's Airbus A320's.
Qantas 767's

Newmann Air (now Air NZ) Dash-8's

Last flown, December 22nd back here to Auckland on an Air NZ 747-400.
It had been over 15 years since stepping on an aircraft, most of my flying was done as a kid but when those 4 turbofans spooled up for takeoff and lumbering SLOWWWWWWLY down YBBN 01 I felt like a little kid all over again laugh

Worst flight.. years ago on Australian Airlines 737 from Melbourne to Adelaide when I was stuck next to a heavily pregnant asian lady who was throwing her guts out non stop for the duration of the flight. Even after asking for a seat change for either one of us, the cabin crew had their hands tied so I ended up having to toerate the distressed cries of this woman and the smell of her you know what.

Most memorable.. going from Sydney to Christtchurch on the Qantas 747 mentioned above, I was classified as an "unattended minor" so got special treatment from the cabin staff and got to sit up in the cockpit with the pilots of the Jumbo for a half hour or so. Imagine my shock when I was shown inside the door and the captain was sitting back drinking coffee and reading the newspaper.

"Who The F Is Fly This Plane?!?!?"
Didnt realise there was a thing called autopilot.. hell i was barely 8 years old shocked

Worst landing.. Melbourne with an Ansett 737.
Mustve been the trainee landing it cause I doubt i could skip a stone off a calm pond any better than the way this guy put the jet down. Im sure he smashed the undercarrige somehow.
In the end when they see you off at the door I asked the chief pursar if we had been shot down.

Most memorable aircraft.
The Air NZ 767 (200 series?) I flew from Auckland to Adelaide on back in 91.
The aircarft was named the "Awatere" which is my maori family name. It is held in high regard and respect up and down NZ so for me to fly on the boeing named after my whanau (family) was and still is a very big thing. It was an awesome flight, great staff and although a delayed departure, we managed to make time somehow.

Only thing was, the engine on it laugh
Pratt & Whitney turbofans, so tinny I was waiting for the port side one to spit a blade and the only time in my life I had prayed to my family to get me back in 1 piece was on that bloody plane itself, named after my family!!

I love flying.. in every form and term. If I cant be up in the air i molest the LiveATC streams on the net.. with the atlantic crossings being high up on the list.

#224232 - 19/07/2008 08:15 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mundoolun, SE QLD, 129m ASL
Interesting comments about Jetstar Tornado. Mine would have to be the opposite.

Every time I've flown on Virgin Blue I've always had a bouncy landing including one with a decent cross wind and the starboard wing nearly chewed some tarmac, put that down as an eeeeek moment! Every Jetstar flight I've been on the landings have been smooth as silk and that is with non cooperative weather conditions. Only thing I don't like about the Jetstar A320s is the wind noise, I really don't like being reminded of the fact I am flying in an aluminium cigar tube with a couple of flight surfaces riveted onto it at 800 clicks (I assume the cruising speed is around this much).

My most memorable flight ever was on Qantas Brisbane to Sydney leaving at about 4:30ish in the afternoon and the first good storm of the season was rolling through and we were the last flight to leave. You could tell the Pilot was up for fun because he radios over the intercom that we will experience 'some' turbulence but will be climbing as quickly as possible to get clear of it. So we took off north then turned to starboard to go back south and I look out the window and all you could see was this filthy black mean wall cloud rolling in. We punched it about a 1/3 of the way up and it was on for young and old, got pitched and rolled countless number of times but the best bit was watching the wingtip disappear out of view ABOVE the window as we pulled a G or two for about 3 or 4 seconds before going completely weightless! AWESOME!!!! Lightning was strobing the cabin and at one stage we must have flown into a strong crosswind coming from the right as my head clouted the cabin pretty hard. Passengers were white, some were screaming, some were praying and the collective holding of breath when we went weightless was classic. I'd happily line up for another flight like that, certainly makes it more exciting than just going up and coming down...

#224233 - 19/07/2008 08:28 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Greymouth - West Coast, NZ..
Bring THAT on!

#224234 - 19/07/2008 09:43 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Dawgggg Offline

whats it like to be weightless?

#224235 - 19/07/2008 11:57 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
rain gauge Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gorokan NSW 4klm West of the ...
Well i found jetstar service better than virgin blue, as the crew on virgin were a pack of old boilers, must of been leftovers from Ansett, and they would only serve me 1 beer from launceston to sydney Grrrrr, trouble is with jetstars A320s is its only comfortable if you are 3 feet tall eek

#224236 - 19/07/2008 11:59 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Dawgggg Offline

yep, the A320 is way to small, my legs were so cramped !

#224237 - 19/07/2008 12:04 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Dawgggg Offline

Heres some pictures i snapped at Brisvegas Domestic Terminal. Through the glass though, so excuse the faded colour.

Ill pop some more up soon.

Page 1 of 59 1 2 3 ... 58 59 >

Who's Online
13 registered (Delta-T, mysteriousbrad, slipperyfish, GringosRain, Moz, logansi, Ricky, Jimi, balmz, Mad Elf #1.5, StormQueen, ashestoashes, 1 invisible), 103 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Chris #3, Cloudwatcher, dave-tsv, GuyH, Joshg, Prettybub, s016230, Sprouts
Forum Stats
29700 Members
32 Forums
24005 Topics
1502918 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image