Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#235091 - 17/11/2005 16:30 Re: Day of Action : 15th November
Gulf Lines Offline
Banned member

One article, from a Labor MP says "They may freeze" - hardly rebutting what the current situation is. All that article demonstrates is ignorant opinion. It is simply a media-grabbing opportunity to spin negativity.

Second article, dated in 1999, says that the costs of living have been rising? Well, I'm glad that they told us that. Because it's been happening ever since money was brought into this world. No news there. And, shock horror, the cost of living rose during Labor govts as well. In fact, during the 80's recession-we-had-to-have, cost of living rose exponentially. No one could afford anything because of their incompetance.

So now, can we please have an article that actually deals with what we are talking about? That is, rebutting that real wage growth doesn't exist OR that wages haven't risen in the last year.

#235092 - 17/11/2005 16:38 Re: Day of Action : 15th November
Jacob Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Sydney, NSW
The only article you want to see is one that agrees with your point! laugh

Id be totally taken aback if you actually said something like "gee, thats a valid point" or "I agree to an extent"

Hardly likely, so why bother posting such a link!!!!!!! It would be much more expedient to post a letter to santa clause and offer him some advice on putting his elves on contract, to double the toy output so he can compete with the Buddha's festivals.

#235093 - 17/11/2005 16:42 Re: Day of Action : 15th November
Gulf Lines Offline
Banned member

Well, show me something that is actually what we are talking about! It isn't that difficult, surely? I mean, even you have to adit that those articles were clutching at straws! I mean, a 1999 article on rising costs of goods? Cmon. lol!

#235094 - 18/11/2005 07:52 Re: Day of Action : 15th November
Anthony Cornelius Offline
Meteorologist

Loc: Brisbane
Using Queensland as an example of low wages does not make much sense given that Queensland is also one of the cheapest states to live in. Even though prices have gone up rapidly due to growth, talk to any NSWelshman or Victorian and they'll tell you how cheap it is here compared to their respective states! Fuel, food, land, housing, materials etc - even dining out is much more affordable!

AC

#235095 - 18/11/2005 08:45 Re: Day of Action : 15th November
Craig Arthur Offline
Wind hazard researcher

Loc: 149.152009°E 35.187056°...
There is (what I think) an obvious flaw in the article Paul orignially posted. It only discusses average ordinary time weekly earnings. There is no mention of penalty rates and how they have changed or may change under the new IR legislation. Certainly in my experience, penalty rates are an important component of the income for a lot of casual and part time workers. Comments?

I'll also put together a poll later today sometime regarding this, as it's been asked about a couple of times.

#235096 - 18/11/2005 09:47 Re: Day of Action : 15th November
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Kirwan, Townsville - NQld.
thanks craig, thats what i posted on the last page, i am full time 24/7 shift worker, can anyone prove to me that under these new laws my work will not take away my midnight penalties, weekend rates, public holiday rates (i am not working xmas day for peanuts), currently we get an extra weeks annnual leave if we work more than 20 sundays in a financial year, is that under threat.
you can argue left or right wing views till the cows come home but we are talking about the future of this countries workforce here.
2017 Yearly total to date - 807.8mm (1122mm)

#235097 - 18/11/2005 10:13 Re: Day of Action : 15th November
astrogen Offline
Weatherzone Addict

and long service leave, carers leave, maternity leave...

#235098 - 18/11/2005 13:50 Re: Day of Action : 15th November
Jacob Offline

Mick.

With the 'old' system, your working 'rights' ARE and WERE guaranteed.

Now they are not. You have lost a heap of working rights, and they have been replaced by 5 minimum standards. Thusly, you have now lost that guarantee of financial security for you and your family

Any person here saying that is a 'gain' for the working Australian is an absolute fool. What workplace will pay you more than they legally have to? What workplace currently does?

Its about the vast majority of Australia being fooled by a government protecting the interests of those who funded its election campaign. Simple.

#235099 - 18/11/2005 13:53 Re: Day of Action : 15th November
Gulf Lines Offline
Banned member

Suggest you try reading some of the information ....

www.workchoices.gov.au

Try it.

#235100 - 18/11/2005 13:57 Re: Day of Action : 15th November
Jacob Offline

I suggest you try reading some of the information.

http://www.yourrightsatwork.com.au/

Try it.. You might gain a 'new perspective'

I see you agree with pay cuts.. Hopefully to GOVERNMENT departments wink

>

#235101 - 18/11/2005 14:06 Re: Day of Action : 15th November
Tim S Offline

Quote:
Its about the vast majority of Australia being fooled by a government protecting the interests of those who funded its election campaign. Simple.
Thats exactly it Jacob, its mainly the rich that vote Liberal so why would they want to upset their voter pool by bringing in laws that will make them worse off. The working class tend to vote labour so it doesnt matter if they bring in laws that make them worse off. Its as has been said before in this thread, under these laws the rich will get richer and continue voting liberal and the poor will get poorer and vote labor, or the other political parties.

#235102 - 18/11/2005 14:07 Re: Day of Action : 15th November
Jacob Offline

Should I be looking forward to pay cuts to Government departments?, many of our departments and local councils are full of lazy people taking our tax dollars. Quite often too many people doing too little. Here is an example of WASTED tax dollars.

We should be more competitive and make sure we apply the new changes to all government departments too. Taking away any overtime rates, and guaranteeing just those 5 basic standards.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander wink

#235103 - 18/11/2005 14:30 Re: Day of Action : 15th November
astrogen Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Going back to when I did work at AP we would have the good old EBA's every 2 years. Lot's of ppl were against these as it gave away more of our rights, but the good old dangling carrot worked everytime, the $300 cash bonus and a 5% payrise over 2 years-one of the last eba's I went through, it was voted in, if you don't vote (most ppl didn't bother to vote)it's classed as a yes vote, go figure-go the carrot, sold off the Transport guys-ppl were made redundant and replaced with ppl willing to sign contracts. I also recall having a massive union meeting at the pub next door before work started because the union guys were not allowed onto AP property, and this was back around late 90's. Was a massive turnout especially since everyone did it in their own time, not company time. Remember in 12 years there not once did we strike, though there were a few close walkouts..

#235104 - 18/11/2005 18:50 Re: Day of Action : 15th November
Me Offline

Loc: Glenbrook NSW
Media release received via email today from the RFSA

www.rfsa.org.au

The RFSA (NSW Rural Fire Service Association), the officially recognised member Association that is able to represent the State’s 70 000 rural fire fighters, said today it will strongly lobby to retain the existing award protection for volunteer rural fire fighters that may be under threat in the federal government’s new industrial relations laws. RFSA executive officer Ken Harris said volunteer rural fire fighters play a vital role in protecting the lives and property of the people of NSW, and any erosion of awards will seriously put these volunteer services at risk. Mr Harris said the RFSA’s concern is that the proposed industrial relations laws will mean that volunteer rural fire fighters will no longer have award protection to participate in fire fighting activities, which could be negotiated away. “This is particularly galling in the lead up to our bushfire season. Our volunteer rural fire fighters need to be protected in their industrial awards to allow them time off work, and to take part in vital fire fighting activities and emergency responses, such as motor vehicle accidents particularly in the country areas.” Mr Harris said the key role of the RFSA is to look after the well being of RFSA members, who give up countless hours protecting their community, and to ensure they are fit, prepared and able to serve the needs of the people of NSW. He said the RFSA will continue to strongly lobby the federal government to ensure its new industrial relations laws do not take away award protection, and, therefore, do not stop rural volunteer rural fire fighters from providing an essential service in protecting the lives and property of the people of NSW.END

#235105 - 18/11/2005 21:58 Re: Day of Action : 15th November
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Kirwan, Townsville - NQld.
its these 5 award classifications that is really worrying me. how can the workplace be classified into 5 groups?
i still say, if it aint broke, dont fix it. the economy is no stallin, we are more heavily taxed than ever before which is keeping a smile on the treasurer and the federal reserve is busting at the seams with $$, employement cant get any lower and intrest rates seem to just right about now.
the more i read about these changes the more i think are doing this because they have a once in a lifetime chance to stick a dagger into labor and the unions while they can and take a greater control of wages and employment rights.
2017 Yearly total to date - 807.8mm (1122mm)

#235106 - 19/11/2005 12:00 Re: Day of Action : 15th November
wiz Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Perth, WA
Jacob, you are totally right. www.workchoices.gov.au is the biggest propaganda this country has EVER seen.

Paul, like Jacob said, have a good read of www.yourrightsatwork.com.au The majority of Australians dont want change, just like the vast majority of people voted LABOR in your NT electorate smile

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Who's Online
4 registered (Hurricane force, kizz, Un_stable, 1 invisible), 295 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Adele, David Simpson., HannahJayne, krambo, krambo22, Pancake, weather noob
Forum Stats
29421 Members
32 Forums
23730 Topics
1469277 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image