Page 16 of 18 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 >
Topic Options
#242607 - 15/05/2009 00:41 Re: Are you old enough to remember
tornadochaser_76 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Dark Side of the Moon
Quote:
Originally posted by Wobbly Wombat (Buzz):
Tanya, yeah I saw that after I posted last night. I got arrested in Brisbane briefly when an immigrant bus driver refused to allow an old digger onto the bus because he couldn't pay full fare and had forgotten his bus pass. Nearly snotted the ahole for his attitude but ended up just paying the fare for the old bloke and giving the bus driver a mouth full about looking after our old diggers. The bus driver hit the panic button, cops arrived and after a brief explanation on my behalf and a standing ovation from the rest of the passangers they let me off with a warning about threatening behaviour.
Yeah I suppose a 137kg cripple with a beard and a crew cut waving a walking stick and telling him what I thought of his parents I probably was a bit threatening. laugh
Pleased to see it WW! I woulda risked arrest for the same thing. Its like when you stand up for old ladies (or women in general) on the bus - its an each-way bet. Some ol' cobber s have chipped me on the shoulder and said "nice to see they'res still gentlemen on the planet", Old ladies get a bit chuffed about it - but some of the Gen X or Y birds take the evil feminist eunuch 'Germaine Greer'stance. My wife just told me how an old woman with a walking stick refused to take her seat on a bus in Brissy (pregnant with my twin sons), and demanded that "the young man on THAT seat will stand up!"

Of which he WILLINGLY obliged ha ha ha ha!!!

#242608 - 15/05/2009 02:19 Re: Are you old enough to remember
Tanya Peabody Offline

Loc: Noosa. QLD.
When we got our pocket money every Saturday (2/6d), we'd charge across the road to buy sweets and comics. My big brother used to love the Beano and the girls used to buy "Bunty" and another comic called "Princess". We loved the annual comic book that came out at Christmas and also the Cadbury selection box. P.S. The villain eating the pie is called "Desperate Dan".

#242609 - 20/05/2009 00:51 Re: Are you old enough to remember
Skysthelimit Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gladstone Sth Aust
Well I must say this thread has produced a very enjoyable read. I'm 46 years young and I do recall a lot of the things mentioned. I have fond memories of watching DR WHO every school holidays and also THE CATANOOGA CAT SHOW or THE BANANA SPLIT SHOW on Sat. afternoon/evenings. They sure were innocent days compared with now and I miss them. Our children dont have wonderful family value viewing such as The Waltons or Little House on the Prairie or even Grizzly Adams and sadly I think society is paying the price. frown

Anyways I'm surprised no one has mentioned BOBO cordial. As a kid I still remember Mum boiling the big saucepan of water, stirring in the sugar and then tipping in the bottle of BOBOs. Raspberry was my favourite and what I wouldn't give for another taste today. I was out recently looking for old buildings to photograph and having a peep inside I was thrilled to find amidst the piles of pigeon droppings an old BOBO bottle with the lable still readable. Boy I felt like I'd won the lottery! laugh

#242610 - 24/05/2009 20:24 Re: Are you old enough to remember
SBT Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
Tornado,
Yeah I am in the pooh at work, again. 5 students, all smart buggers where giving a female teacher a hard time about being in a lunch time detention for acting like clowns in class.

Myself and two others where in the room working on reinstalling some computers and I put up with their crap for about 15 minutes before I let rip with a verbal barrage that had the teacher cringing and 3 of the 5 in tears with the other 2 not far off. Mind you I have no doubt the whole school heard it as I was using my best parade ground mid range rumble.
laugh
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#242611 - 24/05/2009 21:09 Re: Are you old enough to remember
Shayne Offline

Loc: Cedar Grove SEQ
ah...now thats how i remember my school years...lmao..with the ranting, raving, meter stick waving and caining....just for good measure...

ahh...what id do to be able to sign a declaration to let my kid get a wallop when she steps outta line in class...the "blue tickets", detentions and calls to mum or dad are not enough of a consequence for unruly behavior.. mad

Corporal Punishment...he woulda saved a whole generation from Major Disappointment.. :doh:

#242612 - 28/05/2009 12:35 Re: Are you old enough to remember
rain gauge Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gorokan NSW 4klm West of the ...
Original from "1966"..
This well known version from "1980"
And this remix from "2008" here

2016 Rainfall-1241.9mm
2015 Rainfall-1568.2mm
2014 Rainfall-1109.1mm

#242613 - 08/09/2009 12:42 Re: Are you old enough to remember
rain gauge Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gorokan NSW 4klm West of the ...
Cant believe how well these two songs mix together
"1964" Vs "2003" Here

2016 Rainfall-1241.9mm
2015 Rainfall-1568.2mm
2014 Rainfall-1109.1mm

#242614 - 08/09/2009 21:30 Re: Are you old enough to remember
Shayne Offline

in a few years time we will be asking if the newbies were old enough to remember River Fire dump and burns..and the F-111's that use to do them...

#242615 - 10/09/2009 16:48 Re: Are you old enough to remember
GDL Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Bowen Mountain NSW
Most people would not remember the flying bar-b-que plate today

#242616 - 10/09/2009 16:49 Re: Are you old enough to remember
GDL Offline
Weather Freak

Most people would not remember the flying bar-b-que plate today

#242617 - 10/09/2009 19:46 Re: Are you old enough to remember
Arnoldnut Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Arnold, NthWest Vic
Nuh, I've heard of the flying mower ...but not the flying barbecue?? frown

(you have to love that sound track wink )

#242618 - 10/09/2009 21:39 Re: Are you old enough to remember
shampagne07 Offline

Loc: Tuggeranong, Canberra ACT
Quote:
Originally posted by TranslucidusW:
Valiants - I remember Valiants

Yang Tang Tang Tang Tang Tang Phtthhhhhhhhhhhhhwwwwwthhhhhhhhh
hubby has a 74 charger, midnight blue. and yes it still makes that sound!! laugh

#242619 - 11/09/2009 05:23 Re: Are you old enough to remember
GDL Offline
Weather Freak

It was the nick name given to the Mirage fighter by some people in the RAAF.

#242620 - 11/09/2009 08:22 Re: Are you old enough to remember
Arnoldnut Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Arnold, NthWest Vic
sh'07, that's living the memories cool

GDL, I thought they loved their mirages. I recall a few jokes about the F1-11s after a few incidence.
What's the quickest way to get yourself an F1-11?
Buy a block of land and wait!

Sad joke ...but that's what was going around at the time.

#242621 - 11/09/2009 09:14 Re: Are you old enough to remember
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Greymouth - West Coast, NZ..
Mmm speaking of the mirages, vividly remember the stuff up @ AFB Edinburgh in my South Aussie days.. 1 was lagging behind and hit the juice, went supersonic & all the glasshouses around the place became instant white with the sonic boom shattering them all.. what a day that was laugh

#242622 - 11/09/2009 18:22 Re: Are you old enough to remember
GDL Offline
Weather Freak

The way i heard it was was at the bi-centenial air show at RAAF. The guy doing the commentry said that if the fire went out the Mirage flew (glided) like a bar b que plate.

I remember well the reports of your small oversight in SA.
The Mirage always looked the business,I was at the last air show at Schofields in the eighties and the finale was a mock attack on the airfield it was gut busting bone shaking few minutes.

#242623 - 11/09/2009 20:31 Re: Are you old enough to remember
Shayne Offline

aussie mirages still fly..in the Pakistani Air Force!

i vividly remember seeing a few "playing tag" when i was on a camp at Mt Flinders as a scout..amongst other sightings..

another thing you don't see anymore is a Chinook with a land rover complete with 105 towed gun slung under it flying between Greenbank range and Canungra..i remember seeing this more then a few times from the front yard of my parents place in what now is Munruben..

anyhow...i still think about the first time i saw the big swing wing fighterbomber up close at the bicentennial airshow at Amberly..geeze..i should have applied myself at school!

#242624 - 17/09/2009 22:56 Re: Are you old enough to remember
TranslucidusW Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Southern Adelaide
Thunderbirds

where it says: ". . . the opening "5 4 3 2 1 Thunderbirds Are Go!" voiceover was provided by Brian Cobby who went on for many years to be the voice of the British speaking clock"

Thunderbirds is a British mid-1960s television show devised by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson and made by AP Films using a form of marionette puppetry dubbed "Supermarionation". The series followed the adventures of International Rescue, an organisation created to help those in grave danger using technically advanced equipment and machinery. The series focused on the head of the organisation, ex-astronaut Jeff Tracy, and his five sons who piloted the "Thunderbird" machines. A popular show, the series is still shown today and has inspired a number of subsequent television programmes and films.

Origins
Thunderbirds was the fourth Supermarionation children's series made by Gerry Anderson's AP Films (later Century 21 Productions). The logo of Supermarionation had previously been seen in the shows Supercar, Fireball XL5, and Stingray. Gerry Anderson came up with the concept for the series after hearing about a German mine disaster in 1963. The heavy equipment needed to rescue the miners was located far away — transportation time was a major hindrance in ensuring the survival of the miners. The "race against time" element is one of the recurring themes in Thunderbirds. The show's title derived from a letter written to his family by Anderson's older brother, while he was serving in the United States during World War II. In the letter, he referred to an American Air Force base called "Thunderbird Field". The working title, according to the trivia tracks used in Tech TV airings of the episodes, was simply "International Rescue."

Many of the crew came directly from APF's previous production Stingray, but for Thunderbirds the crew was expanded, and was shot at A.P. Films' ever growing studio at Stirling Road, Slough, Buckinghamshire (now Berkshire). It was APF's first one-hour series. Thunderbirds had been in production for several months when ITC Entertainment boss Lew Grade was shown the completed pilot episode, "Trapped in the Sky", and he was reportedly so excited with the result that he immediately instructed Anderson and his team to expand all the episodes from 25 minutes to 50 minutes. This initially proved to be a headache as nine episodes had already been filmed and scripts for half-a-dozen others had been written.

Production commenced in 1964 and the show premiered on British television on 30 September 1965 in the ATV Midlands region. Other ITV regions followed, including London on 25 December 1965. Two series were produced, comprising 32 50-minute episodes in total. Each episode was also split into two parts for a half-hour slot, creating 64 25-minute episodes.

Plot
The Thunderbirds TV series is set in the 21st century. The actual year remains a hot topic amongst fans due to contradictory dates seen on newspapers and calendars in different episodes ranging from 1964 to 2026 to 2065. As he has stated in a number of interviews (most recently for Fanderson's "FAB" magazine), Gerry Anderson's brief to the writers and designers was that the series was set "one hundred years in the future" (i.e. 2065). This intent was carried forward in all of the series' contemporary tie-in merchandise such as the weekly comic strip in TV Century 21 and the Century 21 Mini-Album "Thunderbird 3", wherein Alan Tracy tells listeners that the year is 2065. The close-up appearance of a 2026 calendar in the episode "Give or Take a Million" was later admitted by production designer Bob Bell to have been an error on the part of the prop-maker. 1993 vintage champagne is discussed in "Alias Mr. Hackenbacker" although this only suggests that events in that episode took place after 1993. The date issue is strongly in favour of the mid 2060s as in the feature film Thunderbirds Are Go the date is shown to be June 2066 and in Thunderbird 6 it is June 2068. In addition, the Zero X spacecraft from Thunderbirds Are Go subsequently appeared in the opening episode of Anderson's next TV series, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, which was set in 2068.

The show depicts the adventures of the Tracy family, which consists of millionaire former astronaut Jeff Tracy (who was one of the first men to land on the Moon - which some fans feel adds weight to the 2026 argument although it is never stated when man first landed on the Moon in the Thunderbirds 'universe', that event having still been in the future at the time of production) and his five sons: Scott (pilot of Thunderbird 1 and principal rescue co-ordinator), Virgil (pilot of Thunderbird 2), Alan (astronaut in Thunderbird 3), Gordon (aquanaut in Thunderbird 4) and John (principal duty astronaut on the space station Thunderbird 5) - each named after a Mercury astronaut - Scott Carpenter,[1] Virgil Grissom,[2] Alan Shepard,[3] Gordon Cooper[4] and John Glenn,[5] respectively. (Two of the Mercury Seven, Wally Schirra and Deke Slayton, do not have characters named for them. Slayton did not fly as part of the Mercury program due to being grounded from flight status by a heart condition, although he later flew as docking module pilot on ASTP.) Together with Jeff's elderly mother called Grandma Tracy, the scientific genius and engineer "Brains", the family's manservant Kyrano and his daughter Tin-Tin, the Tracy family live on a remote, uncharted island.

#242625 - 17/09/2009 23:05 Re: Are you old enough to remember
ant Offline

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
The bit of Thunderbirds I remember clearly is when they'd all freeze, and those stupid lights would go around saying "this is the voice of the mysterons...we know you can hear us, earth men".

The mysterons were plainly UU@nkers.

#242626 - 17/09/2009 23:21 Re: Are you old enough to remember
Rain Shadow (Fossy) Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Tamworth
Awww, but you forgot about Lady Penelope and her pink car... laugh

I can remember us all walking around with our arms up as if suspended by the very noticable strings, and bobbing our head as we walked along.

I think all my brothers had a metal thunderbird vehicle at some stage in their boyhood, and I also played with them (my favourite was the green beetle shaped one) Why didn't my Mum buy me one? I hated playing with dolls. wink

YTD. 828.0mm

Page 16 of 18 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 >

Who's Online
3 registered (WANDJINA G'vale, Mad Elf #1.5, 1 invisible), 248 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Andrew Miskelly, deanoau, ShaneEEEE, SteveB93, x-1=Darumbul
Forum Stats
29277 Members
32 Forums
23613 Topics
1452011 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image