Topic Options
#245684 - 13/07/2003 17:40 barometer and fishing
gussy Offline

G'day people
does anyone out there study the barometer in relation to how the fish are biting.
what are your views on this ?
i am targeting bass, bream, blackfish and er.......mud puppies ( carp ). it seems to have a different affect on each spieces, ie.... bass seem to like a dropping barometer, like an approching storm.
is this the case????

thanks GUS smile

#245685 - 13/07/2003 22:26 Re: barometer and fishing
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany.W.A.
Hi Gussy, good to have another fisherman (sorry but all people who fish, be they man or woman are fisherman or fishermen in my book - just won't swallow this "fishers" garbage - "fishers" are a type of bird in my old fashioned book), there are a few of us die hards who ramble on about our fishing in the thread "fishing" and on 17/5/03 i posted in part the following:-
"i've never had much luck in rough weather - i'm also told by the professional fisherman that fish take shelter in rough swell & don't bite & also that as the barometer drops and sits low they (fish) won't bite. Often our chaps Pro fishermen) leave port just as the low is reached so that they are out in place for the rising barometer as weather fines up!
Just something to think about & hopefully prove wrong one day!"
So in answer to your posting - yes IMO the barometer definitely does signal variations in fish habits. Now that said, i have had my best squid catch on the roughest day i ever fished - i was tucked in behind some big rocks on the lee side of a breakwater and for fun just flicked a lure out from me & bang squid were there & angry - chased the lure many times - i just wonder if they were sheltering in the calmer water on that lee side also???
Anyway its schools hols ATM which means i have to work & can't get time for fishing & the last 3 weeks over here have been too rough to get out on my days off - keep & eye on the fishing thread & post up your results, Terrified & I will be quick to congratulate you on any good catches or commiserate on bad trips!
:wave: FE

#245686 - 18/08/2003 10:41 Re: barometer and fishing
bigwilly Offline
Weatherzone Mod and Photog

Loc: Junee - just north of the 'Bid...
G'day Gussy,
It has always been our experience with freshwater fish at least, the they don't bite during a dropping pressure, or generally low pressure.
One thought I had after observing some trout in an extremely deep hole, was that perhaps they go deeper, or move to deeper water, to make up for some of that drop? I know in erality the effects of an extra two meters would be pretty negligible, but it is a thought.
And another thing, if it is about to rain, they will generally go off the bite, but then once the rain starts to fall, they will start biting.

:cheers: BW

Katoomba Weather Photography
2010 Rainfall: 759.3mm (Annual Avg: 521.5mm)

#245687 - 12/02/2004 10:41 Re: barometer and fishing
JEFF.H. Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Oxenford
Hello , IMO fish bite better in rising or higher pressure.The reason behind this is simple >>> All fish have airsacks in there stomaches, when the air pressure is low there air sacks expand making the fish feel full or bloated. To counteract this they generally swim to deeper water to increase the pressure, and if the low pressure persists fish will come back on the bite in deeper water a few days after settling. :cheers: Jeff

#245688 - 12/02/2004 19:05 Re: barometer and fishing
Nullamanna WX Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Nullamanna, Nth-West Slopes, N...
I have found that the fish around here bite well if the barometer is around 1013hPa to 1020hPa, as that is supposed to be the normal barometric pressure at sea level, I have a mountaineering altimeter/barometer, that I take out fishing with me, and it most of the times confirms this theory, in my opinion.
I live in an area that has some great inland fishing spots (Copeton dam, Pindari Dam, MacIntyre, Severn and Gwydir Rivers all in the Inverell area, that are stocked with Murray Cod, Yellowbelly, Redfin and Brown and Rainbow trout when they are in season) that are mainly at an elevation of approx. 600 metres above sea level, that equates to a "normal" barometric pressure of 995hPa, because of the alititude, so when a high pressure system comes along bumping the pressure to between 1015hPa to 1020hPa the dams and rivers are usually good to fish, with large numbers and sizes of fish caught.

Mick.

#245689 - 15/08/2004 20:01 Re: barometer and fishing
thunder Offline

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW
There is an old bush saying " bar at 1020 there will be cod a plenty"

Michael

#245690 - 15/08/2004 21:47 Re: barometer and fishing
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yes Thunder, as long as the bars at 1020 and rising - at 1020 and falling don't like your luck with the cod!!!! The last 2 weeks i have dashed out between fronts and on both days the bar was dropping like a rock and we didn't get any real fish ie no KG's, skippy, flathead ect but had 2 nice feeds of firstly gardies (surface schooling and as hungry as one thing) and next day rotten little leatherjackets moved in to eat everything including biting hooks thru!! We only keep the bigger leatheries now and again when theres no other fish we poach these in milk - delicious even tho they are smelly things to clean.
:cheers: FE

#245691 - 25/08/2004 17:06 Re: barometer and fishing
percy_04 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Unley, SA, Fine weather bubble...
lol...crap saying but anyway- when the wind is easterly the fishing is leasterly.. :p

#245692 - 30/08/2004 07:43 Re: barometer and fishing
mountain man Offline

Loc: kunama southern N.S.W 975mtrs
for fresh water fishing mainly talking trout here as i have a couple of good dams full of them i can always tell when their feeding and the most agressive trout is always early morning or late afternoon with the pressure at its highest just about to drop.even knowing this i still fail to catch the elusive brown in my dam that can always be seen but cant be caught.
He has to be at least 4kgs and 70/80 cms long a trophy fish that i dont will ever be dumb enough to get caught again hes been caught twice and now very shy

#245693 - 31/08/2004 20:45 Re: barometer and fishing
Alex Zadnik Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: VIC
For the east coast. When the wind blows east, the fish bite least, when the wind blows west the fish bite best!
An oshore easterly will stir up sediment(sand) near shore, so surf fishing becomes pretty useless I'm guessing. Conversly, a westerly blows offshore and is usually indicative of small surf conditions along the east coast. This leaves crystal clear waters after a couple of days, allowing the fishies to spot the lure or bait. That's my theory anyway. I don't fish though and I wish you guys would stop throwing burley in the water when I'm surfing, it attracts the sharks;)!
Alex
PS on the barometer, I think the weather indicated by the barometer change is more important than the barometer readings(if you catch my drift). You would probably be better discussing prevailling wind conditions and strength, along with cloud cover, temperature, time of year(and its influence on insect larve on the surface), etc rather than making blanket assumptions based on barometer pressure.

#245694 - 03/09/2004 09:13 Re: barometer and fishing
thunder Offline

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW
Hi Alex,

I like you reasoning, but many hundreds of days in my youth fishing around the Illawarra and the reverse is true.

Fish love a bit of stir, many a large snapper has been caught following a huge swell.

Beach fish in particular require wave action to uncover prey such as pippies and worms, so the best places are where gutters give access to shallow turbulent bars. Rock fish also like a good sea that dislodges shellfish and cungie.

Don't worry about sharks Alex, wory more about the car trip to and from the surf, that is the more dangerous part of the surfing day.

#245695 - 03/09/2004 10:22 Re: barometer and fishing
Alex Zadnik Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: VIC
Thanks for that Thunder. Maybe an offshore wind is still required in combination with a large swell though? That wasy the gutters/rips would be more well defined?
You're rightabout it probably being more dangerous on the road(than being taken by a shark), but at least you can see a semi trailer coming, rather than being hit by a monster white pointer from below;)

#245696 - 03/09/2004 23:40 Re: barometer and fishing
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi All, Percy & Alex dont worry about easterly being bad over your way, its exactly the same here too!!! - if its an easterly stay home or go up the river...
Beach fishing needs good water movement (into & off beach - hate along beach drift) boat fishing i love ebb tide & that "oily water" time - actually doesn't really matter what conditions are as long as you can get a line in as far as i'm concerned - i still recon solunar times are the best overall guide...
Had my first days fishing for 4 weeks after being too busy working & bad bout of the flu - got 6 nice KGs, had one whopper bite & run that lasted 20 seconds & took about 50 meters of 10lb line and bang all gone - haven't a clue what it was but it got my mate 5 mins later & he had put on 40kg line and din't look like stoping it ... we think becos of the area we were in, it may have been a big hungry tuna - anyones guess. Previous time out we had a day of fishing between whales - they were everywhere, around the boat, under the boat, sneaking up & blowing water, tail thrashing, marvellous breaches - a great experience - we've never seen so many whales in one day & glad to say never hooked one!!
Cheers FE

Who's Online
3 registered (seaworthy, Eigerwand, 1 invisible), 48 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Cloudmaster_dup1, Floodhunta, floody, Xavo
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24189 Topics
1528927 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image