NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 10 of 19 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#245877 - 02/04/2003 22:27 Re: fishing
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Nowra nsw
Evening to ALL.. :wave:

What a day....Had the boat in the river by 9am,yes straight after dropping kids off at school laugh ,headed out to our favourite flathead ground along with our plenty of supply of live poddy mullet for bait,the weather was slightly overcasted,with a 2 knot northerly breeze blowing and a run in tide..

Lynette & I put out our live baits,no sooner the baits hit the water,Lynette got a good size flounder,my bait went off and i missed the fish :rolleyes: ,i hate when that happens, and just as the tide was getting to the peak,and the drift had slowed down dramatically,Lynettes reel screamed,line was getting torn off it real quick,as lynette was winding this fish in,it was turning my boat slowly(no word of a lie),and after about a 12 minute fight,we then seen colour,i got the landing net,it was a Flathead,a Dusky,weighed in a womping 6.4kilo. cool ,yes now im jealous,i have never landed a flathead as big as that ever. mad

To end our day,alot of smaller flathead,6 legal size.we had flathead & flounder for tea tonight.BUT..Lynettes huge flathead is still in the freezer and wont get defrosted she tells me till EVERYONE we know gets to see it,she thinks its something special.yes im jealous smile ..

In regard to the reel your talking about there Tony,no sorry mate i have never used one,but sounds a good reel though..

Take care to all..

Craig :wave:
:cheers:

#245878 - 02/04/2003 23:05 Re: fishing
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany.W.A.
Hi Craig, i think you had better explain to Lynette that it was the way you positioned & handled the boat that let her catch that monster laugh laugh What a beauty, & i haven't seen a good flounder for years! Sounded like a great day, really good that you were both able to share it! Don't leave it too long to get out again!
:cheers: FE

#245879 - 02/04/2003 23:22 Re: fishing
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Gday Tony;

Lynette said to say thanx and also says to say Hit to Viv aswell to please ..

Yes mate,it was a good day,all going well and the southerly change due either later tonight or tomorrow doesnt come,i sure to be back out there,with out Lynette wink ..

I will get a photo of it and i will send it to you,the flounder i havent seen for a while either,it was the size of a dinner plate and very nice to eat too.

Craig :cheers:

#245880 - 02/04/2003 23:23 Re: fishing
pingtang Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Hello Craig,

Glad to hear that you had a good day.It really was a nice day today despite the cloudcover.The winds were pretty much light all day.Tomorrow will be a different story though.

#245881 - 15/04/2003 01:45 Re: fishing
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Terrified, T/T, P/T & all, following on from your question in P.T.'s surf pics thread Craig, fishing has been fantastic over here up until that strong front came thru on Friday nite, which was good for the farm as we got a fantastic 38mm of rain!! As i said before April/May is THE time for fishing over here & following on from the previous good week, last week we had a good evening of beach fishing & a great day in the boat where for the first time in years we actually filled our bag limits on 4 fish species!!
On a sad note, a young 24 yo got washed off rocks at Salmon Holes yesterday avo trying to get a salmon out he had hooked & disappeared when he fell in - no fish is worth that!!! I've been washed in & washed out & never again will i fish off rocks eek eek The swell from the front should have settled down by Wednesday & we will have one last full day out before i have to work for 2 weeks with school hols & Easter, but traditionally we close the Park on Good Friday & have a big family fishing party that afternoon which usually results in at least one salmon - heres hoping, i'd like my daughter to catch one before she goes to England next month, in case someone takes her fishing over there for those river tiddlers!! Hope you can all get some Easter fishing fun - please be careful so you live to tell those fishy tales :p :p Has Lynette let you fillet out that monster lizzard yet Craig wink ?

#245882 - 16/05/2003 23:33 Re: fishing
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

A Wet Evening to all; cool

I actually braved the wet conditions today,with the rain been alot lighter than it has been all week and as i WAS suppose to of went fishing earlier in the week but the heavy rain stopped me,i decided to go today to break the boredom..

I used a few rock crabs that i managed to keep alive using damp sea weed,i fished from 10am till about 1pm and all i got was the odd bite,nothing else..

Considering the amount of rain we had fallen in the area over the passed few days{155mm},the Shoalhaven River didnt or hasnt yet risen and not alot of rubbish in the river either,but i think there must be to much fresh water in it to make the fishing worth while,i may have to wait now a few weeks before i wet aline again in the Shoalhaven River..

To end the day was going home with every thing wet from the rain and nothing to show for my persistance.. frown

#245883 - 17/05/2003 00:33 Re: fishing
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Terrified, hard luck mate - braving those conditions deserves fish, but i've never had much luck in rough weather - i'm also told by the professional fisherman that fish take shelter in rough swell & don't bite & also that as the barometer drops and sits low they won't bite. Often our chaps leave port just as the low is reached so that they are out in place for the rising barometer as weather fines up!
Just something to think about & hopefully prove wrong one day! We've had a bit of rain today, but theres a real gail blowing now - around 28kts with a few showers with hail.
Keep well Craig i'll be in touch after the weekend got market tomorrow morning - i wont need much ice wink wink

#245884 - 18/05/2003 21:38 Re: fishing
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Gday F/E..

Yes the conditions were surely not the best,yes and it was cold too.. smile

I do agree with you regarding the barometer,i have heard that once before that when the conditions and the barameter is low,you are better off staying home,wished i did too..

Yes i seen in the weather forecast it has been windy over there,did you get the winds reaching 110km/h?,,i seen that in the warnings..

I am again hoping to go fishing through the week if the conditions get better..

Take Care mate..

#245885 - 25/05/2003 23:03 Re: fishing
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Terrified, no we did'nt get the real strong wind that Perth did, but we got enough & the sea was stirred up for about 4 to 5 days. Then we got some work we didn't expect & my days off went down the drain. I'm looking at Tuesday this week & the tides are still good & barometer is high so never know it might be OK. See you've had a lot of rain today - just hope some went right inland, on WIN tv we saw a fishing show about fishing off some good safe rock ledges at Jarvis Bay - good deep water & some good fishing provided there was no swell & off shore breeze - have you ever been there Craig? Rex Hunt was catching salmon on your sth coast, but they were only about 1kg, & wouldn't be the same fun as our 7 to 8 Kg Sthn Salmon we get here & battle to get up thru the surf - my score is 5 this year, & i think that will be about it as the back run wasn't very good & i've just been in the wrong place at the wrong time & with rough weather its been a bit frustrating. There are some good black bream about in the rivers & i might give that a go soon, but more catch & release as i don't like eating more than one meal of them - just a bite strong for me even with lemon juice!
Must go now - give our regards to the crew & looks like you'll be sharpening up hooks & getting your tackle box clean & enjoying the sound of rain on your roof for a day or two!

#245886 - 26/05/2003 22:31 Re: fishing
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Gday F/E.. :wave:

Yes we surely have had some rain here,i recorded 45mm yesterday and so far 7mm for today,im not been rude when i say this,but,its wonderful,every drop is great to see,especially for the people on the land,im only hoping it is reaching those in need for the rain..EVERYONE!!!!

I havent been fishing from the rocks which you seen on tv,but i have fished out from there in a mates boat,its a popular fishing ground,especially for those game anglers,live baits etc,i would love to try that spot but its 4X4 territory,and my poor 96 model commodore wouldnt like the roads to get in there worse luck,otherwise i will certainly be fishing from there..

I plan on doing a bit of beach fishing soon,around late June early July for the salmon,theyre great i love fishing for them especially in rough surf,makes more of a challenge.. smile

I went to Jervis Bay and caught myself 2 nice size squid on Sunday,Dale lost one,i kept them for bait as a friend of Dales is taking us fishing this comming weekend off Batemans Bay{125kms south}for snapper,as Dales friends father is a keen snapper fisherman cool cool ,im hoping to get amoung a few snapper..

Hows Viv?,we all say hi to her too mate..

Take Care Tony;

#245887 - 01/06/2003 22:22 Re: fishing
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Gday to all laugh ,wasnt long later,another rock cod caught by Dale,wasnt till about an hour later,Karls reel screamed again,this time it was a long fight,45mins later a really nice snapper ,and bingo our first reddie on the rocks,it weighed a nice 15KG,a huge bump on its head,Nathan was on,a slimmy green eel and no sooner i was on,my hook up was a green eel too mad ,all in all,plenty of green eels and 1 good snapper,2 red rock cod, 7 eels and we lost count of snags,so there is plenty of 5/0 hooks down there was goodness knows how many 1/4 oz leads are down there too frown ..

Next time we head out is all going well and we are off to Sussex Inlet,45mins south of Nowra which is hoping to be this comming Wednesday..

Take care to all

Craig :wave: :cheers:

#245888 - 13/08/2003 15:27 Re: fishing
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Craig & those interested in fishing - due to rough south coast winter conditions i haven't been out for a few weeks, but last weekend good catches of squid were repoerted, so yesterday braving forecasted showers we took the boat out into a sheltered western corner of a good squid bay & had a great avo of fishing - 7 very good KG & 6 squid, 4 of which had tubes over 15inch - i had one break my line & take one of my favourite lures! We started in deeper water, & had a squid pulling on a KG line, so put lure on & got him. But deep water was better for KG's than squid. It came up a bit rough so we went in closer to the sheltered beach & sat just on the edge of the weed line, & squid were as plentiful as i've seen for some years. They were taking both lures & baited jigs. Having got a good feed & weather looking threatening we decided to quit while still dry!!! I have heard of squid being active right along the south coast Craig, so it might be time to try the spot where you had some good luck last year!
Just one other point - it was a full moon last nite...so theres one time when it didn't really matter confused
:wave: FE

#245889 - 13/08/2003 23:17 Re: fishing
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Gday Tony & Viv; :wave:

How are you both?

Great to hear your getting a few great squid cool ,but i am sorry to of read you lost a good squid aswell as a lure,that hurts.

I am infact going to get my boat wet on this comming Saturday,after what you wrote, i WILL TAKE the squid lures with us,sounds great...infact i might just see how the weather is tomorrow now after reading your post..

I will let you know on how i go,it may not be till Saturday night incase Lynette doesnt let me go tomorrow,she may have a few chores for me to do,typical wives rules,i love her. wink

I will go now and i will post here saturday night..

Cheers to you both and please say hi to Viv..

#245890 - 14/08/2003 14:39 Re: fishing
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
G'Day fellow fishermen :wave:

Havent been out for a while, last time was down to the Murray Mouth during a fair bit of rain. My mate and I crossed the dunes, took about 15mins and we thought the mouth was about 1-2km ahead along the beach...NOT TO BE!! Turns out we walked 7km to get there and we were stonkered. WE rested for 20mins and were wondering what we'd do if we pulled in a large Mulloway, considering the trek back with 5 rods and a heavy tacklebox and buckets. Straight away after casting into the newly dredged channel of the Murray Mouth baited up with some cockles and live bloodworms we got a nice bite.....only to find it was a bloody crab, nice size one tho about 15-20cm on the body with some bloody nasty nippers on it. Then for the next 30mins we pulled in 25 crabs between us and one got my toe (it hurt). No fish we wernt pleased, so we tried our luck with a Pilchard in the surf of Goolwa beach in the gutters but nothing. Best go back there in summer i think.

TS cool

#245891 - 14/08/2003 15:11 Re: fishing
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi TS, good idea not to catch too many wink wink knowing how far back it was! A friend of mine caught a 45kg groper a few years ago at a place that was 3km walk to, he was so thrilled, that he stored all his fishing gear in the bush and set off with complete fish (less only stomach) as he was so determined to find what it weighed. Everyone back at camp was very impressed and a bikie came to his rescue and took his lovely bike along the waters edge of the beach to help him pick up his fishing gear!!!
I hope the crabs were edible - our best are what we call blue manners, i think you call them blue swimmers? As i have discussed with Terrified, for many years i used to throw sand crabs back, until one nite a chap came up to me and asked had i caught any s/crabs and took 3 large one to eat!. i thought he was pulling my leg, but tried them and they are very nice, but smell a bit when cooking. The sand crab we get here is white with a purple spot on the corner of the shell where the claws come off the body. With the full moon about ATM there would be a lot of sand crabs around during nite fishing.

#245892 - 15/08/2003 10:21 Re: fishing
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
Yer I think these may have been sand crabs... redish purple to brown at times, didnt take all of em, but we cooked up about 5 of the biggest ones and wasnt too bad to be honest smile

TS cool

#245893 - 17/08/2003 21:25 Re: fishing
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Gday Tony & Thunder & fellow fisho,s :wave:

I went fishing yesterday at Shoalhaven Heads just north of Nowra,anyway it was a great day weather wise but fishing,quite a slow day..

I put the boat in the water by 9am,2 hours before the top of the tide,i set out to my favourite fishing groud,set out a nice berley trail,the bait i was using was Pilchards..

The only fish i was hooking was the rotton old "Toad-fish" mad ,i kept getting heaps of them,i thought stuff em,im up achoring,and going to set out for a nice bit of drift fishing,nothing on bait,change to lures,nothing,changed lures from plastics to metals,again nothing,so i ended my fishing day with my head held low by thinking all the rotton toads fish had a feild day on my pilchard bait..

Though it was still a enjoyable day out weather wise,that couldnt of been better..

Take Care to ya all;

#245894 - 19/08/2003 01:13 Re: fishing
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Craig & All, don't feel to bad about it Craig, you could have spent the day doing the gardening & then you wouldn't have known if the fish were biting or not wink wink Anyway, after my great time last Tuesday i got all enthusiastic on Thursday nite becos i could see some rough weather coming for the weekend & scuttled down to a good little squid beach Thursday nite and spent 3 hours freezing (very low tide) with not one touch!! Theres all sorts of bad weather forecast for tomorrow down here, but we hope to get out early & beat the bad weather & see if we can find some sheltered water, but the tides fairly average tomorrow & barometer is dropping!

#245895 - 23/08/2003 00:18 Re: fishing
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Craig & Other fishing folk, the dropping barometer certainly made it hard this time (last Tuesday) 5hrs for 5 fish...slow going. Thankfully the 5 fish were kgs, 2 average & 3 goodies 42,43 & 45 cm. Craig the strange thing was that with the 3 big ones we had to just let them run with the bait, couldn't hook them they would not bite, just suck & drag, i recon i gave 1 about 50 m of line before i got him - very stange. Only 1 squid, again good one - 15in tube, and was going to have the bait regardless of happened. we hooked him on a fish jig first, but he didn't hold, threw out lure & he struck again, got off near the boat, threw out again & got him - he was ultra aggrssive, but the only one we saw in 5 hrs. Was roittenly cold & only the good feed of fresh fish made it a good day, otherwise quite honestly it was slow, cold & miserable! Hope you have some good luck this weekend Craig, but watch out theres some foul weather coming from over this way!!!

#245896 - 23/08/2003 23:26 Re: fishing
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Gday Tony & Fellow fisho,s; :wave:

Today we all went fishing down here on the Shoalhaven River,nice day but with no available fish to be caught. frown

I did notice a few small mullet now beginning to come down the river,well edible size,but,i had no mullet gear with us,not to worry plenty of time yet i hope..

With the front arriving early this afternoon,we got home in enough time to wash the boat and get it away before the rain,{only just},but now just reading the forecast,tomorrow is certainly out for fishing or that matter anything outdoors,yes i have a kite smile ,no i dont plan on using it either,be to cold..

Well Tony,{FE},thanx for the warning regard to the change,its certainly over us as i type,so far a nice 5mm has fallen and obviously,alot more yet to come over night..
cool

Take Care to all,and i will repost when i can get out again,yes i do plan on giving the mullet a run..

Well Tony,you certainly had a good day,either way,it was slow for you,but atleast your bringing something home to eat,im jealous, wink ,,,i may have to move to WA for the fishing season..

{its pouring down now,one great site} laugh

Page 10 of 19 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Evil Kitty, Jake, ka0tik_pengwin, Nullamanna WX, shaunandwendy, stormygirl
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image