NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#245717 - 01/05/2002 15:38 Re: fishing
LONGBEACH Offline

Loc: wauchope ,mid north coast , ns...
G'day Craig :wave:
I've just heard a report that a pro fisherman netted approx 90 tonne mad of mullet at north beach (Port Macquarie) a couple of days ago.Apparently they get $4.00 a kilo for the Bullheads and $6.00 a kilo for the Pinkeyes, and they all go to Queensland for processing!!!!.
I suppose one good result of this week is the ban of pro's to net the river (Hasting's) anymore.A bloke might be able to catch something for a change!!
Oh well, best go and get ready to go Bass spinning.
Till next time, take care :cheers:

#245718 - 01/05/2002 21:43 Re: fishing
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Nowra nsw
Hey Kevin;

How are you?..

I took my wife fishing yesterday for NIL,as in,no bites,no nothing,only lost baits due to been on the drift for Flathead..

Please let me know on how you went with the bass,and what spinner did you use..

Have you ever looked at this site;
www.fishnet.com.au
really great for reports,everything you want to know etc,well worth looking at..

Take care..

Craig :wave:

#245719 - 01/05/2002 22:33 Re: fishing
LONGBEACH Offline

Yes,well...... the bass fishing went very well,except i,um, couldn't hook them mad .
Out of 14 hits, and i mean BIG hits, i managed one!!!!!.Pretty pathetic hey?
I think my trouble may have been lure size.
The majority of the time i use the tiny crazy crawler in the fluro green, yellow ,and orange colours.I'm going again tomorrow arvo so i might try the bigger fella and see what happens.
Another good lure for bass up here is the "moss" coloured crawdad.
What is the river down there like for bass?
Do you go after them?
I think the biggest thrill of bass fishing would have to be , spinning out of a canoe , and one hits just as your about to lift the lure out of the water right beside the canoe . It scares the livin bejesus out of me, AND I LOVE IT!!!!!!! laugh
Oh well time to go and dream about today i guess.It's going to be a long night!!!!!
Till next time tight lines!!
Kevin :cheers:

#245720 - 01/05/2002 22:44 Re: fishing
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hey Kevin;

Great result,im pleased to hear you hooked one,well done.. smile

I have NEVER been Bass fishing before ever,i wouldnt know anything about catching them,here in Nowra,they have their own Bass Fishing Club,no-one there likes to share any info,where to fish,lures etc..

As i said earlier(i think) i own a quintrex Dart, a 3.7m tinnie fitted with a 2002 15 hp Mercury,2 stroke,yes its a deep hull,is than anything i ought o know before heading off to catch the bass,like best locations in the river,as in what type of area i may find Bass..

I know here in the Shoalhaven River here in Nowra,they surely catch some real good bass,ive been down to the boat ramp and seen them,andlove to hook a smallish one for our fish tank..

Thanx again Kevin..
(keep the drag on your reel SCREAMING!!) smile

Craig

#245721 - 01/05/2002 23:29 Re: fishing
LONGBEACH Offline

G'day again Craig :wave:
As you can plainly see, i havn't entered the land of nod yet.( not game..... i'll get bad nightmares!!!)
Anyway, the places that i like to fish for bass are at the boundry of fresh and salt water( you usually catch some huge bass there),i mean where the supposed upper reach of salt water gets, then i go to areas where your boat wouldn't be able to get into ( long holes, usually with fairly savage rapids ).These holes are fairly deep and the water runs fairly quickly , but not really fast.
At this time of year the big females head downstream to spawn,usually to "brackish" water, and they don't normally take a surface lure!!!.So i don't know what happened today! confused
What you have to look for in a bass location is overhanging foliage. Willows are very good, so are any trees or junk that is in the water that they can hide under through the day.
Around bull rushes is another excellent haunt for them.
Very soon they will go off the lures and will only take bait( crawl-back grubs are excellent fished on bottom with a 4/0 hook,especially in a flood).
The best times are morning from dark to about 9.00am and evening from about 3.00pm until dark,although they will bite all night.
It really p@#$%& me off that some people (fisho's) are like that(won't tell nobody nothing) because it is very hard to fish for bass if you can't get anyone to help you.It wasn't very hard for me because my old man went all the time ,and i started at three y/o.
Anyway, i hope that helps you a bit, and if you want to know something else, just fire one at me(question that is!!!).
Till next time, tight lines.

#245722 - 01/05/2002 23:53 Re: fishing
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Kevin;

I will give it a go,i will take the boat out of the garage again tomorrow and do some exploring..

I will head straight for the tackle shop first,as i dont think i have those lures, i mainly have prawn type lures for flathead and bream..

I will let you know tomorrow night on how i went,hopefully with some pleasing results,as i know a spot,now you said willow trees,kids go swimming there all the time,using the branches to swing them selves out etc..

Im off to ZZZ land myself(bed),early rise,i cant wait to get my line wet..

Thanx ever so much for the info ,its greatly appreciated smile

Tight lines..

Craig

#245723 - 02/05/2002 20:44 Re: fishing
LONGBEACH Offline

So, tell me the good news.You caught 12 bass, all over 50 cm,and released...11 ?????.
Well if it's any consolation, i wen't again this arvo and had 4 hits, but only managed one keeper. confused I know bass are finicky,but to go from 14 (???) yesterday to 4 today must tell you something, hey??.
till next time, tight lines

#245724 - 04/05/2002 22:22 Re: fishing
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Kevin;

sorry to of took so long to reply..

We went,trolled for about 3 hours with no hits,but, when i drifted passed this old tree 1/2 hanging into the water,apart from getting snagged 5 times and had to get my lure from the tree, we managed to hook 2,a good sport on light gear,i used a bait-caster reel(little over-head)spooled with 2 kg line,wow, what a fight,it was great,only the 2 all day,but well worth it.. smile smile

Thanx for your advice too re the Bass.. smile

Tight Lines..

Craig cool

#245725 - 05/05/2002 17:10 Re: fishing
LONGBEACH Offline

I'm pleased to hear you managed to snare a couple laugh . They certainly play up on light line,but i think you may have to go a little heavier than 2 kilo,because if you hook one of say 4 or 5 pound, i don't like your chances of getting your lure or the fish. I mainly use 12 pound line, and there have even been times where i've still lost them.
By the way, how big were the ones that you caught?
Anyway, till next time ,good luck and tight lines.
P.S. What lure were you using?
See ya

#245726 - 05/05/2002 18:14 Re: fishing
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Kevin;

Well i payed the price TODAY,i lost a great Bass all due to my light lines..

The lure i used today aswell as the other day,is a greenish Rubber prawn with a 2/0 hook through its body,got a few hits,only the one hook up,and lost both,lure and fish..Dammit..

The fish i got the other day,were both around 3/4 pound,good size,but i dont think were keepable size,(what is the legal size for Bass )..

Have you ever tried the rubber prawn?..

Thanx Kevin..

Wet Lines..

Craig.
:cheers:

#245727 - 05/05/2002 22:24 Re: fishing
LONGBEACH Offline

I had a look on my "fish stick" for the sizes for you. Bass has a bag limit of two per person per day, with a size limit of thirty cm.
I'm sorry to hear of you loss (lure), but it"s a path we all take.......trust me!!
I've never used a prawn type of lure,only surface lures.
If you want some real action,try a "crazy crawler" or a "jitterbug". These are both excellent surface lures,and are garenteed to make your heart miss a few beats. It's totally awsome,and there is nothing else anything like it.The surface hits are truely incredible.
The jitterbug usually works out of the box, but with the crazy crawler, you have to stuff around with the wings to make them "plop" really loud i.e. bend the wigs with a pair of pliers.
You should try one,you wont be disapointed!!! smile
Have fun and tight lines

#245728 - 05/05/2002 22:36 Re: fishing
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Kevin; :wave:

Thanx for the bag limits and sizes,i wrote them down and will keep in my boat. smile

Those lures you mentioned,i will certainly be buying BOTH tomorrow,if the weather is great,i will go and use them and let you know on how i went.. smile

Hey..,this BASS fishing certainly beats the MULLET fishing,better fun,by a long shot,i loovvee it.. cool cool

Tight Lines..

Craig. smile

#245729 - 06/05/2002 21:16 Re: fishing
LONGBEACH Offline

So....... how did you go? snared a couple i hope laugh
Just as a matter of interest to you,bream also take the crazy crawler,but you have to stop winding when you see him (or her...don't want to be sexist here hey?) up behind the lure.You can tell it's there because there will be a "bow-wave"come up behind the lure.Just let it sit there and it will start to swim under it and "suck"it in.There is no big splash like the bass, but they go like a shower of s#!*,straight towards any cover they can find.
I just thought i'd share that with you to see how you'd go with them.
Till next time,best of luck.

#245730 - 06/05/2002 21:35 Re: fishing
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Kevin; :wave:

Thanx for the tip on the Bream.. smile

No i never went fishing today,we had un-expected visitors turn up.. mad

Beautiful day,light winds,just perfect for fishing,but bad luck happens all the time when the weather is so perfect.. frown

I cant go now till Thursday,hopefully the weather is great as it was today..

Thanx Kevin..

Craig smile

#245731 - 14/05/2002 18:50 Re: fishing
LONGBEACH Offline

I just thought i would send in a little note to tell you that the Bass would most probably be taking shallow to mid-depth divers about now frown
Also this time of year that they start to move downstream to brackish water to spawn.
The majority of these are really BIG females and do they play-up when hooked!!!??.
The only trouble is ,the majority of them can only be caught on bait.What a pisser hey?
Till next time,tight lines and happy fishing!

#245732 - 14/05/2002 22:37 Re: fishing
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Kevin;

How are you?,im well.. smile

I havent been fishing due to the wet weather,i beleive they(bass) take a live bait,prawns..I hope so,as the prawns are available,alot of hard work,but i can get them.. :rolleyes:

Till next time,stay well,tight lines.. :wave:

Craig

#245733 - 31/08/2002 21:47 Re: fishing
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Gday All;

Anyone been fishing lately?

Craig :rolleyes:

#245734 - 31/08/2002 22:01 Re: fishing
pingtang Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Hi Craig

No,I havent gone fishing lately.Ive been doing heaps of surfing but no fishing. smile

What are your favourite fishing spots around here.I dont go fishing much,so i wouldent know the best places.

#245735 - 31/08/2002 23:14 Re: fishing
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Gday Pingtang; :wave:

My real favourite spots are;

Below the golf club(sandy beach below 4th hole Nowra golf club). :cheers:

Shoalhaven Heads,anywhere.. wink

Huskisson(Currabene Ck)in the boat. laugh

Tell ya where ive seen alot surfing(no im no surfer)Bombo..

Cya..

Craig

#245736 - 19/09/2002 01:39 Re: fishing
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany.W.A.
Hi Craig, Kevin & Pingtang, great to find there are a few active fisho's in this forum & being good weather forecasters u've got it made!

I have enjoyed amateur fishing for 50 some odd years. Getting near semi-retirement now, so i can fish about twice a week, both shore & boat. Have good days and shockers! ATM King George whiting have just kicked off over here plus squid. Have read through your posts, and did'nt notice any reference to "solunar fishing guide" don't know if u've used it or not, but I find this about 80% accurate. 20% failure due to eastern wind or dropping barometer. If i'm not intruding i'll post a few results?

Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 ... 18 19 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Aussie twister lover, nthqlndr, remead, Sitilliqaq, Western Blew
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image