Page 23 of 64 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 63 64 >
Topic Options
#1239682 - 05/02/2014 19:51 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Adele Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Somerset TAS
What a terrifying ordeal these three men would of had. I am glad they are all safe. Imagine what they must have been thinking all night long.

There has been a lot of back lash from Barnett's CULLING policy. It has put WA in the negative lime light. Has this had a negative impact to tourism yet?

#1239686 - 05/02/2014 20:19 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Jax Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: WA
Ahh, old time newspapers are fascinating things aren't they? Here's a snippet from January 1952 full page article headed SHARK MESHING PROTECTS SURFERS in a Sydney rag called The World's News. http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/139912344?searchTerm=shark%20nets&searchLimits=

Meshing entails the lowering of a
net off a beach, just beyond the
breakers. The nets are 500ft long,
20ft wide and of 22in to 24in mesh,
made of strong rope.
Usually two nets are laid together
to give an actual length meshed of
1000ft. Mostly the nets are put
down at night and picked up next
day. They are not trawled behind
the boats.
Placing the nets is simple. An
anchor, with drum attached, is
dropped and the net is then played
out as the trawler moves along. But
the picking up is arduous and fraught
with danger.
The net is located by the glass
bubble attached. The trawler heaves
to and the crew hauls in the 1000ft
of net hand over hand. There is
an atmosphere of tension at this
time.
A surge of a wave and the net
can be around the propeller, with
the boat only a few yards from the
breaking surf.
A swell and the net whips over
the side, taking with it any man
not quick enough to jump clear.
Sharks in the net provide a prob-
lem. They are lifted, threshing and
biting, over the side to the rolling,
slippery deck.
The trawlers have to be sturdy
craft for the work, the men adven-
turous.
Each trawler carries a fisheries'
inspector to record the catch and
each must carry out a certain num
ber of meshings a month, with a
specified number to a beach.
Sharks are scavengers, and move
along the bottom seeking food. The
swirling folds of net set on the bot
tom probably have the appearance
of seaweed to their short-sighted
eyes.
Once they touch the net they are
lost. Their stubbornness sends them
forward. The net swirls behind their
heads, catches on the dorsal and side
fins.
Maddened, the shark begins to
whirl about, slashing with his teeth,
but the more he moves the more the
net enmeshes him, just as a sticky
spider web traps a fly.
Finally, the shark becomes ex-
hausted in this man-made web.
Meshing is carried out by con
tractors. Captain P. R. Stuart Ptv.
Ltd. do the work Sydney and
Wollongong.
Mr. N. Gorshenin carries out
meshing at Newcastle.
Each year somewhere between 500
and 1000 sharks are caught, each
of which is capable of killing a man.
Meshing has never been claimed
as an absolute safeguard from at
tack. It is a precaution only.

#1239688 - 05/02/2014 20:19 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Popeye Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Cable Beach - Broome WA
While the culling policy has not been taken well no doubt people holidaying here will feel a little more at ease with entering the water. That is... until the next person gets eaten. Lets hope its a few years between attacks from here on in so people can get there confidence back. Land based activities and cafes, Wineries etc will no doubt be doing well. Water based stuff might have had a bit of a drop off in numbers over recent years. Understandably. Its a pity because the ocean environment here in WA is awesome.

#1239736 - 05/02/2014 22:29 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Adele Offline
Weather Freak

Awesome is an under statement. One of the best beaches in the world (but then I am biased). Unfortunately the next time we come home is in early May for my Grandmother inlaws 100th birthday, and its ways to cold then regardless of sharks.

#1239752 - 05/02/2014 23:37 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Jax Offline
Weather Freak

Come north Adele, May is still beach weather. Winter doesn't really start until July and it's all over by September. I don't think there's been a shark fatality in May.

#1239762 - 05/02/2014 23:57 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Jax Offline
Weather Freak

Just came across Deeper Blue, a diving forum, world wide participation, and as far as I can tell, after a quick look, no mention of WA's shark cu... Oh hang, no, there's one thread, 100 views, not a single comment. In the spear fishing section.

Wow, and some people would have me believe that this CULL was attracting huge amounts of world attention from shark loving water users.

#1239763 - 06/02/2014 00:01 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
At least you finally recognise it for what it is. That's a start.

I took a look at your forum. By the time I got back to 2007 in the Australia/New Zealand section I found a report on great whites with not a single reply requesting a CULL

http://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/3rd-white-pointer-sighting-at-warnbro-sound.74362/

Seems divers have more sense than surfers .

#1239768 - 06/02/2014 00:52 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Jax Offline
Weather Freak

Hey, this shark topic is throwing up some beauties. Check out the Shark Arm Case: http://www.abc.net.au/dimensions/dimensions_in_time/Transcripts/s546563.htm

Quote:
Sydney in 1935 was under attack from the sea. The shark was public enemy number one and bounty hunters were employed to help rid beaches of the menace. But there is one shark story from that year that still reverberates through popular memory and has become notorious in the criminal history of Australia...

... This amazing story would never have been told if, all those years ago, that shark had not been caught off Coogee Beach, proof, perhaps, that truth really is stranger than fiction.

#1239786 - 06/02/2014 09:12 Re: sharks [Re: Popeye]
EddyG Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: NSW Port Stephens
Originally Posted By: Popeye
Water based stuff might have had a bit of a drop off in numbers over recent years. Understandably. Its a pity because the ocean environment here in WA is awesome.

I bet it is awesome, one day i will visit your area Popeye, sharks or no sharks!!

No drop off in tourist in this neck of the woods, infact every sighting of a shark close to the waters edge, through social media, people would visit the beach in droves just to get a glimpse of the shark!!
Any publicity is good publicity!!

I pinched this from Jax interesting article

MANDY PEARSON: In April 1935, a 3.5 metre tiger shark was caught off the coast of Coogee. It was brought back alive and put on public display at the Coogee Aquarium Baths. Crowds flocked to see the monster with the man-eating capabilities. On Anzac Day, it didn't disappoint.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eddygroot/
YNWA

#1239790 - 06/02/2014 09:23 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
ColdFront Offline

Yeah people find them fascinating Eddy that's for sure. Just some can't get past their fear and no amount of education will change it. Crocs suffer from the same human ignorance.

#1239796 - 06/02/2014 09:56 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
EddyG Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Its not every day the general public get to see such amazing creatures in their own habitat, especially the ones that visit a seaside place once or twice a year, your chances of seeing such wildlife is very slim.
Another place high on my bucket list is to visit the northern tropics to see a Croc in its natural enviroment!!
YNWA

#1239832 - 06/02/2014 14:42 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
EddyG Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Came across this on facebook, not sure when the footage was taken. Would have been a big adrenaline rush!!
http://www.shockmansion.com/2014/02/03/v...n-in-australia/
YNWA

#1239858 - 06/02/2014 17:14 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
ColdFront Offline

Awesome footage Eddy. It's a rare day when the water is glassed off Lorne let me assure you. How come it didn't put its nose over the back of the boat and cause one of them to slide into its mouth like in the movie? wink

What a privilege to witness. Notice the blood on the corner of the boat. No doubt the lure to that magnificent specimen.

It was that same stretch of coast where I had my dive encounter around 50 k's closer to Port Philip Bay. If you go to google maps and type in Anglesea you can see the reef I was diving exposed about a kilometre off the coast .

Thanks for sharing.

#1239867 - 06/02/2014 18:19 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
SBT Offline

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
Protesting about culling sharks while they catch hundreds every day commercially is a bit silly. Walk into any fish and chip shop in WA (and most other Australian states) and there will be flake on the menu about the middle of the price range.

I am against culling. It is totally ineffective and could make the situation worse by uing baits. I swam with sharks many times in PNG and was never scared of them as I have previously stated. Aware of them, yes, especially the cranky black tip reef sharks and tigers but most of the others where just nosing around looking for a free feed. No sea snakes, they give me the irrits big time.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1239868 - 06/02/2014 18:22 Re: sharks [Re: SBT]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: SBT
Protesting about culling sharks while they catch hundreds every day commercially is a bit silly.

I am against culling.

crazy

The fish and chip thing has been done to death wink

Of course of you'd read up on this issue you'd know these are being towed out to sea and dumped and the Great White unlike the flake you referred to is actually a protected species in WA and has a "vulnerable" listing and cannot be used on fish shop menus.

sleep

#1239878 - 06/02/2014 19:05 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Adele Offline
Weather Freak

Most of the flake (shark) caught is mainly gummy sharks, which are not a protected species. The larger sharks have too strong ammonium taste for commercial use, and the flesh is darker in colour (beige). I know this as my family used to commercially long line shark fish off King Island and Stanley Tasmania. It was only a small operation. I don't think it is wrong to fish for food, as long as you are being responsible, and not over fishing in one particular area.

#1239893 - 06/02/2014 20:40 Re: sharks [Re: Adele]
EddyG Offline
Weatherzone Addict

CF its been a while since i seen the ocean that glassy, it certainly looks like a great spot for fishing.

Originally Posted By: Adele
I don't think it is wrong to fish for food, as long as you are being responsible, and not over fishing in one particular area.

I reckon you nailed it right on the head there. I have seen far to many anglers catch more than they need and thats not just the professionals im talking about either!!
YNWA

#1239907 - 06/02/2014 21:28 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
ColdFront Offline

Yeah it's stunning coastline down there. Lorne is in the middle of the Great Ocean Road. They'd have had a northerly blowing I'd be guessing. There's a shipwreck on that reef I mentioned. That's why we were there.

http://vhd.heritage.vic.gov.au/shipwrecks/heritage/338

#1239951 - 07/02/2014 01:33 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Jax Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: Adele
Most of the flake (shark) caught is mainly gummy sharks, which are not a protected species. The larger sharks have too strong ammonium taste for commercial use, and the flesh is darker in colour (beige). I know this as my family used to commercially long line shark fish off King Island and Stanley Tasmania. It was only a small operation. I don't think it is wrong to fish for food, as long as you are being responsible, and not over fishing in one particular area.

Golly gosh, imagine the response in here if it had been me who said my family fished for shark...? Too funny, and no offence intended toward you or your family Adele.

So it's obvious from the response to that, or lack of it, that some sharks are more special than other sharks. See, that's where this culling debate falls on it's arse for me. Sorry fellas, either they're all special, or they're all not. I love a bit of flake, juicy and sweet, yum; and I'm not opposed in the slightest to knocking off a few big ones found hanging out in areas close to areas humans keep getting eaten at. At least I'm consistent hey? But clearly for some people, the ones we eat are not special at all, but the "magnificent" ones (I think that means really huge gnarly ones??) that eat us most certainly are.

Big sigh.

#1239975 - 07/02/2014 09:31 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
ColdFront Offline

See this is where the CULL falls on its backside for me. I love a good "shark takes surfer" story, juicy and sweet news reading ,yum. I believe they call it natural selection. We eat millions of sharks every year but the bleeding hearts cry in their cornflakes when the sharks take one or two of us. Boohoo.

It's never the victims I feel sorry for. EVER. They made a choice and knew the risk. But then I haven't been sucked into the emotional bulldust that we are the only important species on earth. Their decision to do something reckless that cost their lives has affected the lives of those left behind .Not to mention the absolute tangle of hypocrisy it causes our government ."Japan you can't take whales it is wrong" but we can kill great whites that are actually listed as a protected species ourselves just in case. The ultimate hypocrisy . Nice work Barnett. You are a gronk.

Even bigger sigh.

P.S I eat Mackerel wink

Page 23 of 64 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 63 64 >

Who's Online
5 registered (DaveM, JimmyGray, Wave Rider, ozthunder, 1 invisible), 269 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
ScotlandSESA, StormCapture, thomo
Forum Stats
29297 Members
32 Forums
23626 Topics
1454247 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image