NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#246120 - 17/10/2002 21:52 Dolphins in Port Phillip
Beachy Offline

Loc: Peninsula
Amazing....for the first time in 6 months I've seen a pod of dolphins hearding a rather large school of fish and diving through them to score a feed. It was so close to Edithvale beach and was fantastic to watch. You could see the stressed fish bundled together and forced toward the beach.

My question is this...how many dolphins do live in the bay? I've heard people talk about them but never had the luck of seeing them.

#246121 - 17/10/2002 23:21 Re: Dolphins in Port Phillip
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany.W.A.
Hi Beachy, Dont know if there is a definitive answer to your question, because i think that there are a number of different species of dolphins, some that will become adapted to a locality (ie we have a couple of places over here where the dolphins come each day to feed from people - Bunbury & Monkey Mia) and then there are dolphins that are only found here at odd times. I will ask a Fisheries Officer i know about what species live where & post a further reply in a week or so, cos he is away for a while. In the maentime someone else may have more knowledge & could help u.
:wave: :cheers: FE

#246122 - 18/10/2002 19:23 Re: Dolphins in Port Phillip
Alex Zadnik Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: VIC
Hey Beachy,
Dolphin research is done down at the old Quarantine station on the Peninsula (just past Portsea front beach). I am not sure what the organisation is called, but you could try and find their website on the net. They could probably be contacted through Pt Nepean National Park. I am sure they would have accurate Dolphin numbers. Another contact would be the Moonraker Dolphin tours company that operates in Sorrento.
I guess it would be difficult to estimate Dolphin numbers, but I would assume there is somewhere between 30-50 that frequent the Bay (They do swim in out of the heads, so I guess acurate figures would be hard to obtain).
I would also make the assumption that Dolphins are more prevelant in the southern reaches of the Bay. If I was a Dolphin I would avoid the relatively dirty Melbourne beaches!

#246123 - 18/10/2002 21:07 Re: Dolphins in Port Phillip
Beachy Offline

Loc: Peninsula
Thanks for the info Alex
Much appreciated

Who's Online
1 registered (mysteriousbrad), 49 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
stormryder, Taylsy, Willoughby
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image