NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#246137 - 27/06/2003 10:59 East coast swell 27/6-28/6
Alex Zadnik Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: VIC
Currently the low of the Tasman is whipping up pretty large swell and seas along the east coast, especially northern NSW and southern QLD. It is evident on the Coffs Harbour and Sydney wave bouys that both the swell and wave period are on the increase. This increase in period means we are starting to seeing more of a pure swell, rather than short period chop. As the low moves further away from the coast, only the longer period swells will be reaching the coast, making for improved surfing conditions. With offshore winds on Saturday morning the entire coast should crank. The bad news is I'm off to Melbourne tonight (where it is flat as a tack). This is Murphy's law at its best!

#246138 - 27/06/2003 11:56 Re: East coast swell 27/6-28/6
temp trace Offline

Loc: Newcastle, NSW
Just got back from a look, nothing much happening up this way swell's just to straight and to big (a closeout set smashed a couple of guys out a Merewether laugh )

Still can't believe what people will try and do??

Saw, what I reckon was a 5m centre console tinnie, trying to get out through Swansea bar

(image from Stickybeek.com.au

they got halfway and managed to turn around and come back in.......

#246139 - 27/06/2003 16:17 Re: East coast swell 27/6-28/6
pingtang Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Its going nuts today!.Absolutely awsome swell,and tomorrow should be even better as the low further into the Tasman sea.Westerly winds should also pick up tomorrow,making the swell look even more cordoroy.This swell would have to rival the July 01' swell.

I have been out 3 times today.I got up at 5:10am,drove to Redsands(Shellharbour)with a friend,and got there at about 6:20am.It was still dark when I arrived,however it was quite evident a big swell was running.FYI,Redsands is a reefbreak,situated 50 or so metres off the end of a small point.It has deep water in front of,and at the back of the wave.Its a very heavy wave,and is pretty simular to Shark Island.Today,it looked very dodgey with heaps of sections coming up down the line.There was no wind meaning that it was sort of lumpy.At this stage in the morning it was probrably 3-4metre plus.Some lefts looked good,and I was thinking of heading out,but I decided against it.Even a boat-ramp close to Redsands had head high sets(its usually dead-flat).

I headed back down to Gerringong,and surfed at the boar-harbour.This wave is another heavy reefbreak,situated in a small bay.I got some good waves there,but the current was extreme.I decided to go in after 40minutes as a large set closed out the entire bay.

I had two other surfs,however they wernt that good.Too big and too out of control.I got sick of getting chased out of the empty line-up by double to triple overhead sets.Still I managed to get some great barrels,and some wipe-outs.We travelled 230kms today,and came back a little dissapointed.

I sense tomorrow will be much better.Im going to Bawley tomorrow hoping for some 5metre waves.I have no worrys about that size,as Bawley can definatly hold.I think it could hold 10metres.

Hopefully I have something good to report tomorrow.

For more info on the swell check out- www.realsurf.com/index.php3

#246140 - 27/06/2003 17:05 Re: East coast swell 27/6-28/6
Ben Offline

Loc: Tweed Coast
Yeah, I'm going to attempt to bug my dad to drive me down to the beach, as mum can't, I have seen 10m waves a long time ago, so I'd like to see some more large waves.

#246141 - 28/06/2003 22:13 Re: East coast swell 27/6-28/6
pingtang Offline

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Swell peaked at about 9metres last night.Remarkebly it was very managable in the morning,and the afternoon saw quite small waves in the 1-2metre range.Unfortunatly,I didnt get any moster waves at Bawley.The swell dropped too much for Bawley to work properly.Instead areas around the Golf-course reef in Ulladulla were firing.I surfed a right near the Golf-course with 5-10 other surfers.Sets were 2X to 2.5X overhead.Some awsome stand up barrels were coming through.I saw one surfer dissapear in the barrel for 60-70metres and then pop out in the channel.The caught insides were horrendous.The take off zone is 100 or so metres off the rocks however when I bailed a 3.5metre wave it dragged me 50metres inside.Another wave came through,and I was dragged very close to the rocks.Another wave came,and it sucked the water off the inside reef,so I had no option but to bail my board and dive under the wave.It was a good surf.

By this afternoon,the swell was quite small.Friday afternoon saw 5 to 5.5metre waves,saturday afternoon saw 1 to 1.5metre.Thats a pretty significant decrease in size!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Andrew_C, Bindon, jackwilliam, Leasy, Nikko, rainthisway, sutek, Tropicana
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image