NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#246172 - 27/04/2007 13:14 Re: The Mystery of the Missing Yachties
sugar mill tour guide Offline

Loc: Proserpine North qld
well from what ive heard they have left Abel Point marina "Airlie Beach" and know basing themselves in Bowen and search from Bowen to BOwling Green Bay just south of Townsville. This is what i heard on the local news update Mackay and Whitsundays edition

#246173 - 27/04/2007 19:47 Re: The Mystery of the Missing Yachties
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Kirwan, Townsville - NQld.
no, they are now searching out of townsville, seven local news interview this evening from the strand.
2019 Yearly total to date - 2049.9mm (1129mm)

#246174 - 27/04/2007 23:48 Re: The Mystery of the Missing Yachties
Tan Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Barringha/Woodstock, Qld
I have to say that I agree with Craig on this - no matter the experience, some people tend to react spontaniously and without a great deal of common sense in an emergency - with a surge of adrenalin rational behaviour can go out the window and depending on tidal movements at the time and locality the yacht, the chances that the vessel had become unreachable for the crew very quickly is a great possiblility. Given the ages of the crew, despite their reported fitness, also narrows their chances of reaching a fast drifting yacht in my opinion. Unfortunately I don't think the missing men will be found which will be undoubtedly very difficult for the families involved and my heart goes out to them - their only comfort is in the knowing that the men they loved left this world with adventure in their hearts. All this said, wouldn't it be great if family members found them stranded on some island in the Witsundays!

#246175 - 28/04/2007 15:47 Re: The Mystery of the Missing Yachties
sugar mill tour guide Offline

Loc: Proserpine North qld
Quote:
Originally posted by Tan:
I have to say that I agree with Craig on this - no matter the experience, some people tend to react spontaniously and without a great deal of common sense in an emergency - with a surge of adrenalin rational behaviour can go out the window and depending on tidal movements at the time and locality the yacht, the chances that the vessel had become unreachable for the crew very quickly is a great possiblility. Given the ages of the crew, despite their reported fitness, also narrows their chances of reaching a fast drifting yacht in my opinion. Unfortunately I don't think the missing men will be found which will be undoubtedly very difficult for the families involved and my heart goes out to them - their only comfort is in the knowing that the men they loved left this world with adventure in their hearts. All this said, wouldn't it be great if family members found them stranded on some island in the Witsundays!
The tides here are very naturious and ur point is right tam. In the whitsundays we have tidal ranges from 6m in the south to about 4.5m in the north its quite possible for tide to be blamed. However my thoery was if they caught in a se airstream on a incoming tide condtions expecially in the passage becomes a giant washing mashine. Well it a mystery and probably remain that way for along time to come :p

#246176 - 29/04/2007 20:48 Re: The Mystery of the Missing Yachties
comet Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Blackmans Bay, Tasmania
The fendors down and the water all missing strongly suggests the men willingly or unwillingly boarded another boat and took their water with them.

Torn sail - and yet everything else in perfect place?? This bit just doesn't add up.

What would pirates want with 3 elderly men?? if they were kidnapped for ransom - why hasn't there been a demand for money?

I can't imagine 3 experienced sailors being washed overboard in rough weather. One maybe, but not three.

I can't imagine 2 jumping in to save one overboard unless they took precautions like lifejackets and life rings etc.

Guess the only thing left is to follow the money trail. Who would benefit from their real or staged deaths? However, they appear to be from a close knit family who are very worried and heartbroken so that kinda rules out the money trail thingo.

Zilch, zip, zero ??????????????????????????

Maybe the Bermuda triangle has moved south :-)

#246177 - 29/04/2007 21:06 Re: The Mystery of the Missing Yachties
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

there are about 6people now missing from the area between townsville and the whitsundays in recent times, a worrying trend or alians taking our yachties?
i am sure the police would be following the money trail and looking into that area.
nothing else ads up at all. its all just very weird.

#246178 - 30/04/2007 01:33 Re: The Mystery of the Missing Yachties
Tan Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Barringha/Woodstock, Qld
With the fendors down, this may also indicate a failed retrieval of a man over board - they may have been lowered as an aid to pick up person/s in the water whilst returning and cruising past in a neutral gear using tidal drift.

All the same - I have to admit all these missing sailors that are now popping up is a worry!! There used to be a guy that lived on a property down the road from me that swore that aliens had landed in his paddock.....*cue Twilight Zone theme* eek eek

#246179 - 30/04/2007 09:20 Re: The Mystery of the Missing Yachties
Craig Arthur Offline
Wind hazard researcher

Loc: 149.152009°E 35.187056°...
What is it with conspiracy theories? Trying to come up with the best story for an 'X-Files' ep? Like I said initially, people do some really silly things in unusual situations. Example: a mate of mine (an excellent sailor, has won several national titles, would surely be classed as an 'experienced sailor', probably moreso than the fellows we're discussing here) was in a race, fairly blowy, and his rudders broke off. What did he do? He jumped off the back of his boat in Batemans Bay and swam after the rudders, leaving the boat to take off on it's own. He had to be picked up by a fellow competitor who was following. An example of an experienced yachtsman doing something stupid when thinking irrationally. It happens all the time. Problem is here, no one wants to admit that the blokes may have made an irrational decision when put in an emergency situation. One bloke in the water having cramps may have been all it needed to send the others into a mild panic.

#246180 - 30/04/2007 10:47 Re: The Mystery of the Missing Yachties
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

conspiracy theories are always more exciting to think about than a boring ole fell off the side story i think.

one just struggles to think that 3people can think irrationally in an emergency and all end up overboard without one single lifejacket or emergency floation device being used.
1 or 2 overboard - yes, but 3?

#246181 - 30/04/2007 11:28 Re: The Mystery of the Missing Yachties
Tempest Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Game of cards on another boat gone wrong.

#246182 - 09/08/2007 13:50 Re: The Mystery of the Missing Yachties
seaeagle2323 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Melbourne
so what has happened??? havent seen on the news or heard anything else!

#246183 - 09/08/2007 14:03 Re: The Mystery of the Missing Yachties
cyclonecece Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Brandon.. QLD..EX Karratha
One of the mens daughters lives here in karratha.she was in the local paper about two weeks ago saying her dad had been a volunteer for the local sea n rescue in perth.would be very hard not knowing what had happened .id rather find a body than nothing at all.least then you know

#246184 - 01/03/2008 15:44 Re: The Mystery of the Missing Yachties
craig308 Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Echuca
there was a story about this on Chopper Rescue
last tuesday on the abc. they have a follow up report this tuesday the 4th of march at 8.00 pm
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/netw/200803/programs/ZY8969A004D4032008T200000.htm
cheers craig

#246185 - 23/04/2008 12:31 Re: The Mystery of the Missing Yachties
PeterR Offline

Loc: Wollongong
I tend to think the probable cause is something more mundane than conspiracy and piracy.

I have always thought it likely that one or more of the men went topsides to relieve themselves. Picture one of the men toppling overboard off the stern, [ don't laugh it happens, especially if you've had a few ]. None of the men were in what you would call top physical shape.
One or both other men went over the side to grab their friend. In the scramble to get him back on board all lost touch with the yacht.
If anyone has had experience of 'man overboard drills' or has tried to rescue a fully clothed heavy man will know how difficult that can be.
Even in light airs a catamaran would quickly pull out of reach even if they tried to swim for it.
The truth is, no-one will ever know, except that it is usually the mundane that is closest to the event.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
LightningGus, Mikezoom, Ploddy
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image