NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#246186 - 27/12/2001 14:41 winter-like progression in the southern ocean
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tweed Coast
This unseasonable weather is also showing in the southern ocean, with a nice August-style stream of low pressure cells moving under the continent.
It looks very likely that most of next week will have quite consistently large surf along the coastline from SA through to Vic and Tas aswell, with GASP showing the low to slow somewhat around the beginning of the week just S/SW of Tas.
Ahh, holidays indeed!

#246187 - 27/12/2001 17:19 Re: winter-like progression in the southern ocean
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
Ahhhhhh paradise!! laugh laugh laugh just in time for my South Coast trip! Looking for some 2-3 metre waves! Nice sets working their way up!!!! Lovely! How long will they last Br?

#246188 - 28/12/2001 10:55 Re: winter-like progression in the southern ocean
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Lennie, you won't have much trouble finding 2-3 metre waves. The quality will be the issue next week. The new swell will appear late Sat and into Sun, and should last through until Thurs atleast on the South Coast, the only problem for us is the wind direction. It looks like there'll be another resurgence Tuesday of the SW flow, so Monday is looking the pick day at this stage when we may get a brief NW ahead of the change.
Aside from that the Mid Coast will generally be the better option of the two coastlines as there isn't much protection out of strong onshore winds at Victor Harbor. Conditions look like easing towards Thursday.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some very large waves on the South Coast from Sunday onwards - this low is very intense and is nicely positioned. If I had the time I'd be legging it to Vic...

#246189 - 30/12/2001 10:36 Re: winter-like progression in the southern ocean
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

The Kangaroo Island buoy reported the new swell last night around 10pm, and it's been on the increase ever since with the swell currently around 4.5m at 14sec. Both SA coastlines have some great looking waves (the onshores have markedly dropped overnight too, in our favour), and the swell should rapidly progress along the SA/Vic coastline. Victoria has yet to see any new swell yet but I wouldn't be surprised to see a late surge this afternoon.

#246190 - 04/01/2002 19:41 Re: winter-like progression in the southern ocean
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

The swell's now backing off considerably; it managed to hold around 4m at 13sec for a few days this week which is very good for this time of year. Pity the winds were not more favourable for SA; I am sure Vic would have had plenty of good surf in the westerly airstream.

If the current models hold true (GASP at least at this stage), there is a heck of a low scheduled to form around 55S, 105E which is progged (similar to the recent NYE low) to intensify and move only slowly E. We could be in for yet another series of large swells along the southern Aust coastline next Thursday/Friday/Saturday.
I will be keeping a most careful watch over these model runs indeed smile

#246191 - 05/01/2002 11:16 Re: winter-like progression in the southern ocean
pingtang Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Nowra, NSW
These lows seem to be occuring quite often now,and this has resulted in some decent swells for South-Australia,and Victoria.These lows,have often influenced our weather in NSW,by giving us the strong westerly winds.

We have been getting some swell from these lows once they have crossed into the lower tasman sea.However,the swell hasnt been significant,and its only been 2 metres a coulple of times in the last month.

#246192 - 05/01/2002 16:21 Re: winter-like progression in the southern ocean
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Aswell as some large swell for southern Australia late next week, most of the East Coast should benefit (wave-wise) after Tuesday. The low currently moving through the Bight looks set to develop very nicely next week in the Tasman Sea, and should provide a few days of relief (hopefully to the fire situation aswell).
I still prefer SA's chances of surf though laugh

#246193 - 07/01/2002 10:05 Re: winter-like progression in the southern ocean
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

I will keep this thread going as there's still some great looking (winter-like) swell on the way...

Now we have some agreement in the models for a SE airstream over SA for the coming weekend. If you are remotely aware of what a large SW swell and light SE winds can produce over here, well you've now been given plenty of warning smile

#246194 - 07/01/2002 12:23 Re: winter-like progression in the southern ocean
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
Well im back from my South Coast trip and im not disappointed at all, despite being delayed by 3 days. I got there on the 2nd and went bodyboarding each day and the waves were by far the best on the northerly on the 5th when Adelaide hit 32. At Horseshoe Bay, a little kiddies beach there was a killer 2 metre shorebreak. which even got the better of me, smashing me a number of times against the bottom. I went to knights and that was worse but bullies was clean a a spilling breaker for once. Got well sunburnt on the face and cleaned against rocks at knights but a few bruises was allI got thank god. On the way back to Adelaide I went into Southport and tried 3-poles but it was only at 2ft....

Lennie cool

#246195 - 07/01/2002 12:41 Re: winter-like progression in the southern ocean
Adiabatic Offline

Loc: Knoxfield 96m: 120.2mm
Welcome Back Lennie :wave:

Sounds like you had fun anyway, and 2 metre shories sounded like heaps of fun. In NSW I tried to surf on 2ft Shories thats how desperate I am!!!!!LOL laugh

This winter like progression has killed the surf on the east coast with nothing happening in that week I was there. Some of the locals had said that the surf was pittiful for the past 6 weeks but the water temp above normal, 24 degrees, it was simmering for me. The surf in VIC has be caining with 8ft at Express on Phillip Island and Woolomai on Phillip Island. That was happening while I was away, but it looks like the waves are set to increase with this next low pressure system.

4 SEASONS cool

[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: 4 Seasons ]

#246196 - 10/01/2002 14:06 Re: winter-like progression in the southern ocean
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

First few signs of the new swell - the period at the KI waverider buoy has jumped up around 15sec this morning. Hopefully we'll see some lines tonight, and waves tomorrow (I'm off before the sun comes up tomorrow for a 4hr drive to find some perfection!).
Should be ace all weekend - SE-NE winds through until Tues with another round of swell late Monday bumping things up yet again.
This has been an ace summer so far!

Who's Online
1 registered (AnnerleyX1), 48 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
droughtboy, stormchaser88
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image