NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#246197 - 03/09/2003 06:57 massive swell in the Southern Ocean
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tweed Coast
Huge conditions at the moment in the Southern Ocean - the Cape Sorell Buoy has been reading maximum wave heights above 14m for the last 5 hours, with a peak wave height of 16m (53')at 11:30pm last night eek . The Pt Lonsdale buoy is peaking strongly too - the 6am reading had Hsig of 4m and Hmax of 7m (23') - will be interesting to see the surf reports filter in today. Pity the KI buoy is offline - it'd be interesting to extrapolate arrival times due to the refraction effects of the swell (it's a low lattitude SW swell, aimed straight at southern Tasmania, but generated far enough west to be favourable for SA's South and SE coasts too).

#246198 - 03/09/2003 21:42 Re: massive swell in the Southern Ocean
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany.W.A.
Hi Thermalben, Yes, unfortunately i can confirm that even as far as over here on the southern coast we had very rough sea conditions over last 48hrs. This really surprised me, as when i awoke Tues morning we had fog all over the place so, thought it would be a great days fishing & packed up boat & gear & off we went full of enthusiasm, only to get to launching ramp & find swells pushing right up the beach. We tried to find a sheltered spot behind a rocky point, but had a shocking time getting bumped about & with only a few fish biting carefully headed for home - there must have been some big action way down south in the last few days as we haven't had any weather near us to cause those conditions!!
:wave: FE

#246199 - 03/09/2003 22:07 Re: massive swell in the Southern Ocean
pingtang Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Hello Thermalben.

Yeah,it sounds like the southern ocean recieved a macking swell.A 16metre peak at Cape Sorell is quite incredible.How much swell did the Victorian coastline get?.

The next 12-24hrs should be fairly interesting here.The coastal waters forcast is predicting a 3-5metre swell,so im happy with that.

#246200 - 05/09/2003 11:19 Re: massive swell in the Southern Ocean
David Simpson. Offline
Weatherzone Administrator/Moderator

Loc: Tasmania
Which source/site do you guys find the best to monitor the swell readings, particularly through Bass Straight & south of Tas?

#246201 - 05/09/2003 18:11 Re: massive swell in the Southern Ocean
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Hi David

Monitoring Southern Ocean swells is a difficult task, as there are only 2 waverider buoys at our disposal. The Cape Sorell buoy is off the west coast of Tsmania, and is an excellent tool for monitoring swell phases and arrival times. Vic Channels operate a buoy off Pt Nepean (just recently moved from Pt Lonsdale), and this is a good indicator as to how much swell is penetrating into Bass Strait.

Aside from that, options are limited - there are manual observations from the Tasmanian BOM every three to six hours here , and other swell observations can be found in the current Tasmanian obs here , but these are a little hard to quantify in terms of actual swell trends. I'm pretty sure that the Kingfisher B Oil Rig collects wave data - perhaps by a wave pole as oppossed to a waverider buoy - but this data is not made available to the public (if it exists at all).

Pingtang - surf size reached an amazing 12'+ at Bells late Wednesday, and was in the 6-8' range and perfect Thursday morning with offshore winds. Portsea was reported to peak around 15' late Wednesday, but it was onshore and messy.

#246202 - 05/09/2003 20:28 Re: massive swell in the Southern Ocean
David Simpson. Offline

Thanks Thermal, really appreciate the heads-up, I asked mainly because of the intense low that is sitting way down south below WA at the moment, looks to be a ripper and I'm very interested in discussing the potential seas around it, it looks wide reaching and the isobars indicate quite an intensity.

#246203 - 06/09/2003 13:23 Re: massive swell in the Southern Ocean
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

David - also forgot to mention the Kangaroo Island waverider buoy in SA and the WA buoys (I thought you were only interested in Victorian and Tasmanian swell details). The SA buoy can be found here (although it's been strangely offline for a few days.. hopefully it'll be back soon), and the WA buoys can be found here . However, all buoys - with exception of the Pt Nepean buoy - are non-directional, which is a real shame.

Also, if you're interested in long-range forecasting for this part of the world, I update surf forecasts for every state thee times a week at www.swellnet.com.au (WA is coming soon)

Cheers, Ben

#246204 - 07/09/2003 06:43 Re: massive swell in the Southern Ocean
David Simpson. Offline

Thanks Ben, I'll add your site to the Stormplanet links too. Yes I love all types of severe conditions, the oceans included, so long as I'm not on them!

#246205 - 07/09/2003 07:12 Re: massive swell in the Southern Ocean
David Simpson. Offline

By the way, take a look at this first-hand account (http://www.antdiv.gov.au/default.asp?casid=4357) from the skipper of Aurora Australis, describing seas up to 14 metres when at the helm last year whilst in the Southern Ocean.

Who's Online
1 registered (pabloako), 53 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
bobcox, glen2005
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image