NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#246282 - 28/12/2004 15:05 Re: Sydney Hobart race
Adiabatic Offline

Loc: Knoxfield 96m: 120.2mm
Least there have been no loss of life yet, the crew from Konica Minolta had to be picked up by a police boat from St Helens which was on standby.

Enter at own risk indeed eek

Karl smile

#246283 - 28/12/2004 22:32 Re: Sydney Hobart race
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
Very rough seas, u just DONT MESS WITH BASS STRAIT!! eek frown

Sad but reality, tackle it at ur own peril, 98 footer or not. IMO smarter tactics would have been to hug the coast, like Nicorette has done and didnt succumb to the seas....tho Skandia wasn't helped by the 300kg sunfish!

Konica was called Zana last year as well I think. It has been retrieved, but Skandia has been lost to the great ocean wilderness...tho I think a tug may be sent to retrieve it....

TS cool

#246284 - 29/12/2004 06:41 Re: Sydney Hobart race
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Nowra nsw
Morning to all;

The only Super Maxi left in the race "Niccorette" has taken line honours this morning..

Niccorette has only won due to the unfortunate mishaps from the other 2 Super maxi,s even though i was hoping Nicorrettte was going to win..

I certainly hope they find "Skandia" before she sinks..

Take Care to all

Craig

#246285 - 29/12/2004 08:42 Re: Sydney Hobart race
Craig Arthur Offline
Wind hazard researcher

Loc: 149.152009°E 35.187056°...
I don't think it's so much 'Don't mess with Bass Strait', moreso the advance of the technology used aboard the boats. A great quote I remember from the designer of several of the world speed sailing yachts was 'If it doesn't break, it's too heavy'. The boundaries are always being pushed, and when the yachts get to one of the toughest testing grounds, that is when things will break.

#246286 - 29/12/2004 08:50 Re: Sydney Hobart race
terrified Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Nowra nsw
I totally agree Craig on what you wrote.

Craig

#246287 - 29/12/2004 14:11 Re: Sydney Hobart race
Sonde Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Clemton Park 2206
Craig, I am getting jack of these yachties. This year has not been bad weather or bad seas at all, not by any standard of the sea, yet again, half the fleet have "retired hurt". The problem I have with the design of these boats, and the foolhardy, indeed arrogant attitude of those who build, buy and sail them, is that they are not "seaworthy" to begin with, they are really racing skiffs that have just grown and grown, and been sent / taken where they do not belong. Think driving a toyota corolla across the simpson desert instead of a landcruiser and you might get the drift.

#246288 - 29/12/2004 15:07 Re: Sydney Hobart race
Craig Arthur Offline
Wind hazard researcher

Loc: 149.152009°E 35.187056°...
I can see your point of view, but don't entirely agree with it.

One of the modifications to the rules following '98 was that all crew had to radio the race committee when they reached Green Cape, indicating their intention to cross Bass Strait. At the time many of the boats reached this point, the leading boats were reporting 60 knots plus in their skeds. A significant number of the retirements decided against crossing Bass Strait based on these reports, as opposed to equipment failures. In previous years, the leaders were often less likely to correctly report the winds they experienced, which meant the slower boats would be more likely to cross. Also keep in mind this is the first decent blow since the '98 race, so there were certainly a few nervous crew on the boats.

There are a small number of yachts in which the design is 'as fast and as light as possible' - these are the guys with more dollars than sense. No doubt about it, the Sydney to Hobart is one of the toughest ocean races in the world. The newer technology such as canting keels has only recently been permitted in the race, and the past few years of relatively 'calm' conditions lulled people into a false sense of security, so they were possibly thinking they could get away without rigorously testing the equipment. Grant Wharington (skipper/owner of Skandia Wild Thing) is quoted as saying he didn't know what went wrong with the boat's keel - IMO a sign the technology wasn't thoroughly tested. There were in the past couple of months other cases of canting keels running into problems.

Your thoughts are backed up by some others, too. Why not insure the boat? A premium of $700,000 was apparently quoted for Skandia Wild Thing, compared to the estimated cost of salvage of $600,000. Obviously the insurance industry don't want to get too close to the action either.

#246289 - 30/12/2004 10:37 Re: Sydney Hobart race
Sonde Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Clemton Park 2206
Even parachutists get better insurance deals than that, and for good reasons.

I have to disagree with your line of argument Craig.

I am in fact glad to see that the insurance people are telling these wankers to take their plastic fantastics and shove them. They know what is important. They have been insuring vessels from tankers down to fishing boats etc for years and years. They know that the sea is dangerous. They have their own engineers and naval architects to "inspect and survey" a vessel before they categorise it, determine the risks, and set a premium. They can very definitely see the inherrent dangers, the inherrent weakness, ie, the gross design compromises, indeed, the straight out ignorance of these yachties, very few of whom are engineers, or naval architects themselves, and are simply deciding that it is not in their interests to deal with idiots, and are declining to do so.

The trouble with yachties is that they are after ONE thing, speed. They forget that all designs of all machines are balancing acts, and in the evangelistic pursuit of ONE GOAL, are REPEATEDLY compromising other well know and vital considerations, to the extent that, the overall package now becomes fragile and dangerous. They are not falling for the bull**** arguments about developing new materials and new technologies etc. The insurance companies can see the bull**** argument for what it is, ie, simply conjoured as a feeble attempt to justify and or legitimise the stupidity of these wankers, and are simply walking away from them. I am no fan of insurance companies generally, but in this case, "good on them".

Put bluntly, these boats should not be allowed off-shore. Why should my tax dollars be burned up in buying and operating a special police launch, simply to provide a SAR service for these wankers, once a year ? I object most strongly.

And I nearly forgot, since when did a race rule concerning a radio schedule or a reporting procedure become a mittigating DESIGN issue ?

#246290 - 31/12/2004 13:20 Re: Sydney Hobart race
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Agree Craig but I do feel that some underestimated what could have happened in Bass Stait thats all. I know every precaution is taken to ensure a safe crossing to Hobart, but the Devil's Meridian will remain I guess.

Dangerous stretch of water thats what Im getting at (when condits are fav for very rough seas of course)

TS cool

#246291 - 18/12/2005 20:29 Re: Sydney Hobart race
addicted to sails Offline

Loc: belmont
Anyone got a prediction on this years Sydney to Hobart race yet?

#246292 - 18/12/2005 23:14 Re: Sydney Hobart race
FarrSports Offline

Loc: Magill
I am with you ATS.

We have several mates doing the race this year on 3 boats from SA. I have done two Lincolns on Pale Ale Rager. They are doing their 8th S2H and we follow every piece of news and weather via net and TV.

A short crew of 6 took Rager to Sydney last week - and they did the journey just under 5 days! Top speed seen was 27kts - that's when the spray covered the speed log! Some slick trip and no damage.

If the weather-heads in this WZ group come up with some news, I will listen with great interest.

Mike, Adelaide
Yachtie

#246293 - 24/12/2005 16:44 Re: Sydney Hobart race
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Im tipping Skandia from Wild Oats for this one.

TS cool

#246294 - 25/12/2005 18:49 Re: Sydney Hobart race
addicted to sails Offline

Loc: belmont
I got my money on ALFA for line honours but watch for the famous Tow Truck to steal the handicap result. Go LUCI !!

#246295 - 25/12/2005 22:11 Re: Sydney Hobart race
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Ok my top 5 in order, tho all 5 maxi's will have a chance of winning it, lead may change a fair few times.

1) Skandia
2) Wild Oats
3) Alfa Romeo
4) Konica Minolta
5) AAPT

TS cool

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Aussie twister lover, nthqlndr, remead, Sitilliqaq, Western Blew
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image