NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#246494 - 05/06/2002 23:27 Huge seas likely for the southeast
gustfront Offline
Thundergod

Loc: North Balgowlah, Sydney, 33.79...
The wave models are pumping out some impressive wave heights across the southeast over the next few days. 72 hour NOGAPS has 24 foot waves affecting the SA coast. Be interested to hear reports from anyone down that way over the next few days.

#246495 - 06/06/2002 14:15 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tweed Coast
Hi GF,
I have been watching this developing system very closely since last Wednesday - it's a very complex arrangement, with a large SW component advancing towards the coastline during Friday. The arrival of the SW groundswell front isn't due into the SA coast until Friday night, however there's some pretty large windswell ahead of that. AVN is also progging a small area around 55S 125E that should assist in the development of a more SSW swell, which will help the southerly facing beaches (including Victoria) pick up some big surf.

Adelaide forecasts (covering this event in detail) are at Swellnet .

Cheers, Ben

#246496 - 06/06/2002 20:50 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
350rat Offline

Loc: maitland
Bells beach willhandle the size of the swell if they get a northerly wind the surf will be epic.

#246497 - 07/06/2002 10:22 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
Yeah looking great...seeing that its the long weekend I might head down to Bullies - one of my fav bodyboarding spots. But i guess ill have to be careful...last time I went there I got smashed to bits and peices just about....hope they are clean lines will have the time of my life!!!!

TS cool

#246498 - 07/06/2002 11:21 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

Loc: Near Victor Harbor S.A.
Hi thunderstruck, where is the spot Bullies that you refer to. It is a bit draughty around the drawers down this way at the moment so be careful if you venture out, I dont want to have to carve Lennie was here on the rocks. Anyway, enjoy your long weekend, if the surf is not good the Port Elliot Bakery is always a good place to visit. Liz.

#246499 - 07/06/2002 11:29 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

LOL Liz no need for that im a careful fella smile

Pt. Elliott fish and chips shop sells the best whiting since the earth was born. Ill be having that for sure but better not go in water to soon after because the sharks will be after me...terrific sense of smell they have.

Bullies is just along to the east of Chiton rocks near Boomer but not quite that far...I go in that spot between Chiton and Boomer all the time.....it can get very rough and dangerous due to steep beach and killer shories....

TS cool

#246500 - 07/06/2002 11:48 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

Gustfront,to get back on to your topic,the Transport S.A. website www.transport.sa.gov.au/webcams.asp has a webcam on Granite Island(which is off Victor Harbor). The camera shows the sea, but it is not a picture to rave about. I can see this area from home, ATM with a strong NW blowing,the sea is full of white caps,an ugly day to be in a boat. Liz.

#246501 - 07/06/2002 11:55 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

There is another site that has got cams for middleton, Bullies, dump, mid coast etc etc.... I thinks its something like southcam...great site with a load of cams smile

TS cool

#246502 - 07/06/2002 12:41 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Gulf St Vincent is starting to feel the effects of the increasing groundswell and windswell. Surf size is currently a foot or so overhead, which is quite respectable for this stretch of coastline. The tide is coming in until 2:30pm, but the surf should rise all day as the winds veer WNW. Metro beaches already have small surf, which should increase later aswell. (non-SA people should be made aware at the irregularity of this kind of swell event! head high waves along the Mid Coast are quite infrequent)

The Victor Harbour stretch is, by comparison, flat. The current approaching swell is too W in direction to wrap into Encounter bay, however a more SSW swell will arrive during Saturday which looks like being on the large size smile .

Model data is still going for a decaying westerly stream late Sunday and through Monday; in these circumstances the South Coast's terrestrial influences tends to affect the wind flow, and I'm hoping for light NW winds along the coast.

waiting...waiting... smile

#246503 - 07/06/2002 12:49 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Quote:

There is another site that has got cams...something like southcam
'Southcam' is now 'Wavewatch', Lennie, and unfortunately you are required to be a member to access the cam images - at $55.

Alternately, try the Adelaide Sailing Club at West Beach, Glenelg Jetty cam (with links at the bottom to other SA beaches - although they only update once or twice a day max), and the Granite Island and North Haven cams as mentioned by Liz.

#246504 - 07/06/2002 13:41 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Neptune Island is currently recording W winds at 49kts, gusting to 60 (!)

BoM have issued a SWA for almost all SA waters smile

#246505 - 07/06/2002 13:48 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Surf is increasing quickly on metro beaches; around shoulder to head high now but very northerly and wind-affected at Glenelg.

#246506 - 07/06/2002 15:44 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Ben u had a chance to stroll down along the foreshore down at Glenelg? U live close to there ive heard...from up here at Uni Brighton looks like a froth and a grey couldron. Must be some huge waves crashing against the rock wall and jetty's....bye bye embryo dunes....

TS cool

#246507 - 07/06/2002 18:09 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Just got in from a great surf out the front of my house (I live on the foreshore at Glenelg, Lennie :p ). The surf picked up quickly behind the change - sets weeellll overhead at the Jetty towards dark, with plenty of stinging rain when the wind gusted up around 30kts+ (ouch!). Pity about the crowd though - I was on my own for 45 mins, then around 20 people decided it looked alright aswell.

#246508 - 08/06/2002 13:49 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Victor Harbour has seen the swell increase steadily all morning, with wave heights at some of the exposed beaches now around double overhead (some of the biggest surf we have had here in about 4 months). Winds were NW earlier this morning, but gusts appear to be tending W with passing showers. Ecellent waves to be had!

The Mid Coast still has plenty of swell overhead high, but is affected by onshore winds.

Vic has seen a steadily increasing swell all morning, and it won't stop here either - I am expecting another swell surge later Sunday/Monday which should see some really large waves on the Surf Coast. With predominantly NW winds, there will be some epic sessions going down over the next few days.

#246509 - 09/06/2002 22:05 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

I didnt go to Bullies today or Victor...I thought the better of it lol but went to Southport just near north of Rivermouth. I didnt have a lot of time on my hands but still enjoyed my 1 hour bodyboard and the waves were pretty big but messy. Lotta wind coming in onshore the waves were head high. Got a sweet rip each time that helped my journey back out to the back against a barrage of waves smile so i had some fun.

TS cool

#246510 - 12/06/2002 10:47 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

It's a real shame there's such little interest in marine weather.....*sigh*...biggest swell in months and only a handful of postees - yet a tiny bit of convection and the thread gets 300 replies...

Headed to western Victoria Mon/Tues to chase the swell, and witnessed some of the largest waves I've seen in years - a few 'unnamed' protected reefs were around the double overhead mark, and a visit to a few of the exposed areas had mammoth amounts of water moving through - perhaps 15'-20'? Who knows. I usually just classify anything above 10' into the 'too big' category smile

And as seen via the Bells pics on surfshop.com.au, the 'surf coast' saw some hefty waves - even some tow-ins throughout Tuesday when the swell was at it's peak.

Plenty more on the way for SA this week too.

#246511 - 12/06/2002 10:57 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Cool....yeah I reckon later todday the swell should start to arrive and then by sat with that intense low some serious waves will be around with cleaner ones for sun and mon. 5ft for Mid today and sat and also for sotuh coast....BRING IT ON I SAY!!!

TS cool

#246512 - 12/06/2002 12:15 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

Hi Thermalben,just to try to cheer you up, the chicken run looked to be magic yesterday early morning, but I couldn't tell you the wave height. I haven't seen it like that for a while. Looked a good spot to put the board in. Liz.

#246513 - 12/06/2002 14:24 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

WHOA!!!! CG sorry bit excited!!!

anyway, I go to Chicken Run sometimes....I like Horseshoe bay....it can turn on some heavy shories....did u check it out? Also how was Freeman Knob looking? Nice spot that is!!

TS cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
colorado, Effrem, whitsunday
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image