NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#246514 - 13/06/2002 09:05 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tweed Coast
Cheers Liz, thanks for that smile

The main swell event from this discussion has now passed (unless NZ counts...) but it's looking like the next week and a half will see continual surf along both local SA coasts with a series of lows expected to pass through the upper Bight region.

Ahh, winter! Love it smile

#246515 - 13/06/2002 10:18 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
Ben surely this cut off low will generate some pretty hefty swell along the mid and metro coastline?? like 6ft on the mid and 3ft on the metro? or is it because the low is a cut-off and the fetch distance wont be as great?

TS cool

#246516 - 13/06/2002 10:21 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
Alex Zadnik Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: VIC
It's a real shame there's such little interest in marine weather.....*sigh*...biggest swell in months and only a handful of postees - yet a tiny bit of convection and the thread gets 300 replies...
I agree Ben!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Although I have not been posting myself this week I have been keeping an eye on the swell all week. Surfshop photo's of Bells have looked epic!
I have had reports from a freind who surfed deep inside Western Port on Tuesday, and was calling the sets 5ft..........it must of been huge out to sea (sounds like you're 15ft-20ft estimation would have been reasonable!).
Where in VIC did you go Ben? Did you make the west coast or did you stay out Portland way.
I'm heading down to Victoria tonight, alas a week too late! hopefully well see some sort of a wave while I'm down there though- it's dead flat here in Sydney!
At first glance, the wind looks like it will swing northwest late Fri in VIC and tend more Northerly on Saturday. So hopefully I will get some nice clean waves (and I'll also get to wear my steamer for the first time this year!)
Alex

#246517 - 13/06/2002 11:07 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

Loc: Near Victor Harbor S.A.
Hi guys,I think the reason for my lack of reporting is that because we are living close to the sea we take it for granted when a big sea is working. It is a bit like the whale watching at the moment, with all the whales sighted I have lost interest. I dont go surfing(used to)therefore wouldn't be good at wave height reporting. I would gladly report our times out in the boat,during summer, but that is off the thread a bit. Liz.

#246518 - 13/06/2002 11:54 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Quote:
Johnny Utah:
Where in VIC did you go Ben?
G'day Alex
Generally not too keen to blow locations, but yep, in the Portland vicinity. Ventured back to Pt MacDonnell on Tuesday (SA) aswell.

Not looking as nice in the Vic area for this weekend though; there will still be swell (just not as big) but with blustery offshore winds throughout Sat and Sun with this low parking itself in the Bight.

Quote:
TS
surely this cut off low will generate some pretty hefty swell along the mid and metro coastline
I'm still watching it closely, Lennie - the low is progging to be large, but the associated fetch isn't as desirable as I would like.
The metro beaches need a combination of factors to ensure rideable surf, but even the latest AVN run is showing 20-25kt NW winds Sat veering SSW later Sun (winds from the WNW thru' SW are a much needed parameter - wind directions outside of these boundaries will limit swell development severely).

Most of the groundswell generated in the Bight will arrive throughout Saturday, but the low looks like stalling and dissapating a little just as it nears Pt Lincoln. SSW winds are most unfavourable (with regard for pushing swell into the gulf).

I'm still going for possible 4ft surf along the Mid for later Sat and thru' Sunday, however this is something not to be sneered at - 4ft surf is not a regular occurence. The 00Z update will shed a little more light on how this low develops.

#246519 - 13/06/2002 14:53 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

I might check out 3-poles on sat or sun - depends which day Im free.....more so sun cos I cant bear to miss the state footy match! Havent been to the pole for a while - 3months now. might give it a go...

TS cool

#246520 - 13/06/2002 16:02 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Looking unlikely for large storm surf along the Mid Coast this weekend now; Sat will have 15-20kt NW winds during the day, with groundswell in the 2-3' mark. AVN is now progging calm conditions over the region for Sunday morning! Could see some small glassy waves along the Mid before the winds picks up from the south later on in the day and strengthens.

#246521 - 13/06/2002 20:29 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Darn with that low ud think that there would be some sort of swell around on sunday!!!! hrmmm u reckon its worth goin out on sunday arvo?? or should I give it a miss and save me some petrol?

TS cool

#246522 - 13/06/2002 22:26 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
Rainlover Offline

Thermalben, would that secret surfing spot of yours be Cape Bridgewater just out of Portland :rolleyes: wink wink :rolleyes: :rolleyes: wink

Rainlover laugh

#246523 - 14/06/2002 08:37 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

nup.
keep guessing

#246524 - 14/06/2002 10:08 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

I reckon Ive got a good idea...hehehe but cant remember the name of the place.....its well known for monster waves anyway....

TS cool

#246525 - 14/06/2002 21:10 Re: Huge seas likely for the southeast
Rainlover Offline

Is it west or east of Portland. Is it the area around the duck's head (on Mt Gambier if you face your head to the left you can see a duck's head. Last year for camp i had to walk round this duck's head, then canoe (sp?) over the lake. anyway we went surfing in Cape Bridgewater.

Is it near Cape Nelson?

Rainlover laugh

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
1 registered (pabloako), 44 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
JEFF.H., LaLa, Matt Pearce, Squirel2000, TJK1974, Traveller Steveo, Watcher@Tmba
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529242 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image