Topic Options
#246526 - 29/05/2002 19:32 new waverider buoy for SA
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tweed Coast
I didn't really think to post this earlier (ie when I was notified some weeks ago), but for those interested, the BoM has acquired another waverider buoy which it plans to deploy on the SA coast sometime in the coming months. This is significant for many reasons: the BoM only has 2 buoys under it's direction - Cape Sorell (West Coast, Tas) and Cape du Couedic (Kangaroo Island, SA, of which this buoy has been offline for several months due to tech problems). There are also a number of other buoys scattered around the country but these are owned by other companies.

So where will it be placed? I was quite chuffed to be asked by the SA BoM office to provide some input on this matter, as my Swell Forecasting business (Swellnet) is a regular user of this data.

Simply, there are two possible locations, each of which has merit. Either the SE region of SA, or the West Coast are the likely locations. I have written a detailed description on the pros and cons of each area, and I believe the West Coast to benefit more so than the SE.
I thought I'd open up this thread for those interested in this kind of stuff, as there is a general lack of marine recording devices at our disposal in Australia. Especially in SA!

Anyway it's great to see some more services being offered by the BoM (ie the 'new radar' thread in Gen Weather); they do a great job for which they often receive little appreciation.

#246527 - 04/06/2002 19:23 Re: new waverider buoy for SA
temp trace Offline

Loc: Newcastle, NSW
G'day Ben,

Good to see that the bureau has the sense to approach the end users. Wouldn't you love to see more money pumped into marine weather in at least one of the budgets.
Its going to be interesting to see how the change over to HF radio goes on the first on next month.

Just on another note (completely off topic) have you heard any more on the S.A. shark repellent thingy after the diver was taken? Media reported that he was wearing one at the time of the attack - not that I don't trust the media or anything smile - just wondering if anything local has been said?

I was all set to purchase one till I heard about the attack than had second thoughts.

#246528 - 04/06/2002 22:16 Re: new waverider buoy for SA
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Hi TT

Yep, actually found out some rather gory stuff which I didn't particularly want to know about...either way, the shark won't be bothering us again...

He was in fact wearing a pod, and it was switched on aswell - this actually hampered rescue efforts to get the victim back on board the boat, as the guys pulling him in kept getting zapped from the electrical current. Reports are that the model was an actually an 'older' version manufactured in South Africa, however it's basically proved that it's not a foolproof method to deter sharks. Even the manufacturers website explicitly states that.

The other rumours going round here are that due to the fact the pod 'pulses', it attracts sharks from a long distance to person with the device on (sharks are known to pick up electrical energy from a long way off, and their curiosity leads them to the area). Once they get within range of the electrical field, they are then 'repelled' by the pod - as is the desired effect.

This is all great news for the pod owner, but what about the other 25 surfers you are in the water with?

Anyway I can't imagine the attack did the SCT any good promo wise - they have been exceptionally quiet throughout this event. Probably hoping it blows over....however, I won't be spending $600 on a unit.

#246529 - 17/06/2002 10:04 Re: new waverider buoy for SA
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Word on the street (so to speak!) is that due to budget limitations, it is unsure when the new buoy will be deployed. The relocation of the BoM's Melbourne HQ is a large drain on funds, so it seems that a few of these smaller, more 'insignificant' projects (ie new AWS, buoy, radar etc) will have to stand in line a little longer.

I wonder if they'd let me borrow it and paddle it out of the metro coast for a few weeks for some data measurements? laugh

Who's Online
1 registered (logansi), 48 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Ree, tiz
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24189 Topics
1528938 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image