NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#246541 - 07/12/2001 08:24 Swell in Sydney this weekend
gustfront Offline
Thundergod

Loc: North Balgowlah, Sydney, 33.79...
Now the water has warmed up it's time to get back into surfing again. The swell is pretty small at the moment but a low looks like forming off the coast and this should bring a reasonable swell to Sydney beaches this weekend.

Any surf 'gurus' that might have some insight on the potential quality of this next swell? temp trace or johnny utah?

#246542 - 07/12/2001 10:16 Re: Swell in Sydney this weekend
Alex Zadnik Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: VIC
The low in the Tasman isn't looking like it will develop much. May produce 4ft swell if we're lucky. Although the easterly wind directions on the weekend don't hold much hope for a decent wave. WA seems like the only place with an offshore, there might be something down there in the southern ocean producing some swell for Margrets?
Crashed is more intersted in the infeed of moisture provided by the low. I am thinking Sydney swells are few and far between. Might be time to take up more land based activities!

#246543 - 07/12/2001 13:02 Re: Swell in Sydney this weekend
Adiabatic Offline

Loc: Knoxfield 96m: 120.2mm
Hello TWC Meteorologists and Sydney siders,

Is Ulladulla a great spot for surfing? Where are the best spots to go?? I will be in NSW in 3 weeks especially round the south coast.

4 SEASONS laugh

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: 4 Seasons ]

#246544 - 07/12/2001 13:53 Re: Swell in Sydney this weekend
Alex Zadnik Offline
Weather Freak

4 Seasons, I am new to the Sydney region (relocated from Melbourne), but all reports are that Ulladulla is an excellent surfing area, with many good reefbreaks. I don't know the location of any surf spots there, but I'm sure if you hunt around you'll have no trouble finding good waves. If you would like extended surf reports while there, I can help you out!
See ya.

#246545 - 07/12/2001 14:04 Re: Swell in Sydney this weekend
Adiabatic Offline

Hey Johnny,

No Probs, thanks for the info, really appreciate it smile

Cheers :cheers:
4 SEASONS laugh

#246546 - 07/12/2001 14:38 Re: Swell in Sydney this weekend
temp trace Offline

Loc: Newcastle, NSW
Could be a good weekend for the Point Breaks ay johnny smile

Was going for a reasonable sized swell earlier in the week but as you said don't think we'll see to much from the change - to much S in it.

But more interesting is the ENE swell we've had for the past day or two. Been keeping an eye on its progress using quickscat and ship obs and its come from a loooong way out, some solid 1.5/1.8m seta around yesterday arvo, a little smaller today, but still some of the best surf I've had/seen in the past 6 months. So if you've not been in the water today ya missed it laugh

G'day 4S Ulladulla = God's country smile

#246547 - 07/12/2001 14:50 Re: Swell in Sydney this weekend
Adiabatic Offline

Can't it do that in 3 weeks time mad

Growing up in a big family I have been restricted in going on holidays and I am looking forward to going to NSW for the first time, hopefully get time to stop off in Sydney aswell.

But it sounds like the swell is very good around the coastal regions. Hopefully it can keep that up!!!

4 SEASONS laugh

#246548 - 07/12/2001 23:55 Re: Swell in Sydney this weekend
pingtang Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Hello 4 seasons.

Yes,Ulladulla is a good spot for surfing.I usually go down to Ulladulla every weekend to go surfing(only when its head high or over).Usually I leave Nowra at about 4AM in Winter,and 3AM in summer to go surfing.

There is a variety of quality reef-breaks to choose from.The Golf Course reef is the most popular spot.It's a left-hander which breaks for about 100 metres.It can hold up to 4 metres.It has an excellent steep wall,with the odd barrel.Another spot worth cheking is dolphin point.This is a shorter but more heavy wave,which can turn on some nice barrels.If you want more info on how to get to these spots,then just let me know.

#246549 - 08/12/2001 00:30 Re: Swell in Sydney this weekend
Mark Hardy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: North Sydney, NSW
I had a nice surf at Bendalong last weekend. Beautiful spot.

#246550 - 08/12/2001 09:19 Re: Swell in Sydney this weekend
Alex Zadnik Offline
Weather Freak

Hey Temp Trace, made it down to Mauroubra just in time for the southerly change to come through, it was about 4ft on the sets, so I wasn't too worried I missed it... Looked like it would have been fun though.....A mate surfed just south of Port Mac and reported some really fun waves.
I'm waiting for another big swell like we had three weeks ago with that east coast low. Just need an offshore next time!
I see your from Newcastle, I went up there last July and surfed 1st Pipe on the bodyboard..... very good wave. I was impressed with all the waves there really! Missed the Harbour by a day though!

#246551 - 09/12/2001 10:54 Re: Swell in Sydney this weekend
temp trace Offline

Johnny - wouldn't you love a dollar for everytime you pull up in the carpark just as the change hits or the sea breeze kicks in.

Newcastle has some really good spots if you know where to look, but what is it lately that we can never seem to string more than 1 maybe 2 days of good surf together?

If you get a chance take a trip to Seal Rocks and the surrounding area it really is worth it - No1 at seals,on its day, is one of the best mal waves on the east coast.

Anyone know where I can get hold of some SST figures, got some figures off one the local life guards (they measure them daily) but they only go back 5 years - just having a look at offshore wind frequence in El Nino/La Nina years - and before you ask.... yes I have got a life (just not a very good one smile )

Forgot to mention Point Break/Johnny Utah
laugh classic movie

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: temp trace ]

#246552 - 09/12/2001 23:58 Re: Swell in Sydney this weekend
Adiabatic Offline

Hey thanks very much ping-tang, you have saved me hours of trying to find what are the best spots around there, even though we are staying in Batemans Bay, Me and my cousins will be surfing through Ulladulla.

I am really looking forward to the trip!!!!

4 SEASONS laugh

#246553 - 11/12/2001 23:49 Re: Swell in Sydney this weekend
Macca-wx Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wavell Heights, QLD
Fellow surfers,

Well - actually - probably not. That's what this post is about from me. I read an article in a surfing magazine about 3 years ago about a businessman who had been stuck in an office for 15 years and hadn't been surfing for that long but one day went and had an awesome (but rusty) session at his local like he used to when he was young. He realised then that he'd missed 15 years of one of the pleasures of life - surfing.

Unfortunately, I seem to have fallen into this corporate trap as well. I haven't touched the surf for nearly 2 years. My wetsuit has a busted zip and I have been meaning to get it fixed ever since it happened 2 years ago but alas haven't had the time, etc.

Tomorrow I'm taking my wetsuit to the surfshop to get it fixed and I endeavor to surf before Christmas! I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment due to no work committments whatsoever so I think I should make the most of this time. Who knows - I might even see some of you guys out in the water.

Mark - I've heard Bendalong is a great place - hope you enjoyed it.

Regards,

Macca-wx

#246554 - 15/12/2001 11:35 Re: Swell in Sydney this weekend
Blizzard Offline

Loc: Blue Mountains
Hi 4S and others.

I can say that Golf Course reef is a really nice place to surf. We had a van down there for many years. I've surfed it many times (body boarded) from 1.5 to 3 metres and it can go off! I have some great pics of it in the 2 metre range - just beautiful waves that day, sunny, offshore - just about perfect really. It's usually not a really hollow wave although when its real big it can be and you can also get nice barrels on the inside but stay clear of death rock. Once it gets to two metres plus the wall is soooo long, its amazing. Nice easy paddle out too, on bigger days. smile

Another reef just to the south of there (Burrill Pines area) is very good in the 1 to 2.5 metre range but it doesn't like much wind at all. I can give that one to you privately as its off the track a ways and semi-private. It can get nicely hollow on the inside with sand over the smooth reef - wipeouts don't hurt that much - and big left hand walls further out. Can be sharky though, I've seen one there on a grey winter's day myself frown

Sheez, I'm missing the coast already frown

Lindsay

#246555 - 15/12/2001 15:49 Re: Swell in Sydney this weekend
Macca-wx Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wavell Heights, QLD
I'd love to see your pics of GOlf Course Reef Lindsay if you have them scanned.

I have a few pics of some of the spots on the surf coast here in Vic which I'll scan and put up this week sometime.

Macca-wx

#246556 - 15/12/2001 17:57 Re: Swell in Sydney this weekend
pingtang Offline

Loc: Nowra, NSW
I got some great pics with a disposable underwater camera the other day.

Ive got pics,at the Golf Course Reef,Dolphin point,Aussie pipe,Redsands.I also went out during that 5Metre July swell,and surfed the Boneyard and Redsands.There were some triple over-head clean up sets at the Boneyard,but that wasnt a worry.

I have to say,that the Golf Course reef is a really good wave.The biggest ive probrably surfed it is about 3-4 metres.Really long walls,but not hollow enough.Redsands,around Wollongong is where you get the hollow stuff,and it is very photogenic there.Ive been there where the wave was 3 metres high by 3 metres wide,and breaking in about a foot or less of water.One guy broke his coller-bone while I was out there that day.

#246557 - 15/12/2001 19:16 Re: Swell in Sydney this weekend
temp trace Offline

Macca - been in the water yet?

I was only down the beach this morning, the surf was cross shore and slop but it was so nice to have a hour or two away from all the other distractions.
Let us know how you get on.

Fellows can't wait to see all the picks! I've got some of Dixon park in the july swell I'll have to dig them out.

#246558 - 15/12/2001 19:38 Re: Swell in Sydney this weekend
TrenthamStormchasers Offline

Loc: Trentham 705m
Karl,

if you are spending time down the south coast, have a look at
http://www.mum.com.au/ for all the local stuff.

If you are into fishing as well, the jetty in Ulladulla used to throw a mean bream, north Rosedale on the rocks near the cave was good & the island at Guerilla Bay (you need to get across on a lowering tide & fish for a few hours or you'll sit there for 12 hours depending on high tide times). The jetty at Bateman's Bay has lurking sharks of reasonable size, so don't set your rod up in a hole on the wharf & wander off or you may watch your kit sailing out to sea.....

I envy you - spent a few days down there in November (before TDU) ...... Pambula is also stunning where the river meets the ocean.

Jane

#246559 - 16/12/2001 09:55 Re: Swell in Sydney this weekend
Blizzard Offline

Loc: Blue Mountains
Hi Macca,

I've made a note in the diary to go and find those Golf Course reef pics.

I haven't got a scanner but could possibly photocopy them in our office to send on to you. Only B&W copier though so not sure about quality. Got some goodies of Aussie Pipe too, mean barrels there. One pic I was standing right on the reef and have the camera pointing into the barrel as the guy got creamed.

Lindsay
Just found them. Face size of the golf course wave is around 8 feet plus on this day as there is a guy being dwarfed by it in the trough. Photocopied them but very average quality - good enough to see the wave size though.

[ 16-12-2001: Message edited by: Lindsay ]

#246560 - 16/12/2001 15:18 Re: Swell in Sydney this weekend
Adiabatic Offline

Jane,

Thankyou very much for that, sensational stuff! Looking forward to the thunderstorms tht hopefully develop and just looking forward to surfing and relaxing, forgetting about all the years work I have had to contend with.

Everyone your all a bunch of legends for giving me info and links, appreciate it very much.

Cheers :cheers:
4 SEASONS laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 48 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
rodgerwareing
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image