NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#246600 - 28/01/2005 19:19 Video Surf Forecasts
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tweed Coast
I've been working on a new forecasting product over the last few months, and have uploaded a prototype video forecast for Qld today. You can check it out here . All feedback most welcome smile

#246601 - 29/01/2005 07:27 Re: Video Surf Forecasts
Craig Arthur Offline
Wind hazard researcher

Loc: 149.152009°E 35.187056°...
Not bad Ben! You came across quite comfortable in front of the camera (how many takes?) and that puts the focus much more on the info than what you're doing (unlike some presentations I've seen). It's cut together really well too. I guess you would at some stage like to upgrade the graphics wink and possibly get either into a studio or do it on location. I can see this becoming a really good product. Well done!

#246602 - 29/01/2005 08:21 Re: Video Surf Forecasts
temp trace Offline

Loc: Newcastle, NSW
TB great head for radio! laugh :p

Initial thoughts after watching it, ditch the surf footage and replace it with an animated wind direction and swell for the forecast period/area as a visual reinforcement of what your saying. Loved the MSL, maybe an animated prog. as well. Surf footage is great, maybe produce a surf report and a surf forecast? Size may turn a few people off? Good that your providing WMP and MOV (only cause I hate QuickTime). I can see you turning this into a great addition to your site. Keep it up.

#246603 - 29/01/2005 08:55 Re: Video Surf Forecasts
TOM1111 Offline

Loc: medowie near williamtown-octob...
i thought it was great smile
keep up the footage.I love seeing the qld breaks goin off

#246604 - 29/01/2005 10:06 Re: Video Surf Forecasts
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

wow.. thanks for the nice comments (except you TT wink )

Craig - it was shot on one take. As I'm shooting on a miniDV cam with an external mike (with no way of monitoring the input), it's a major pain to take the cam off the tripod, upload the footage to my PC and then review and consider mike adjustments or other camera changes before putting the cam back onthe tripod etc...

I was reasonably happy with this take so I stuck with it. I could have improved on the excitement level a little, but want to steer clear from the Bailey-esque jumpin' and jivin'. I think that this will improve with time.

Volume levels definitely need to be addressed, and I'll mix in a lapel mike in future forecasts for a better vocal sound.

TT - animated graphics are coming - but they're not my area of expertise. I whipped up the custom MSL chart 'inhouse' ( laugh ) myself, and definitely want to use this kind of thing on a regular basis. I'm looking at all kind of options here at the moment - but need something that won't tale up too much time.

As for the surf footage, I put it there so you wouldn't have to look at my dial for too long! I also think that the footage helps to 'initialise' conditions for the basis of the forecast - that way people can adjust for their own size estimations.

The footage was pieced together on a mate's Mac, hence the MP4 format. However, I'll be using Adobe Premiere in the future so MPG files will be the standard.

File size will be hard to reduce, apart from decreasing the length of the forecast (which is certainly a possibilty). I hate overly compressed footage, and prefer to run it at 512k on the web if at all possible. I'm the one that'll suffer though - 5000 7mb downloads three times a week.. that's a lot of bandwidth (which I have to pay for eek ).

Video surf reports are also on the cards, but I currently spend around 10-12 hours a day just on the national Swellnet forecasts, and would rather not commit myself to too much of a larger workload.

Anyway, I really appreciate the constructive criticism. I'll do another one on Monday.. hopefully some of these points will be addressed.

#246605 - 29/01/2005 11:10 Re: Video Surf Forecasts
temp trace Offline

Geez some blokes just have no dedication, you still got a good 12 hours everyday to fill in - what do you do with your time? go surf'n I suppose laugh (wishful thinking?)

I found myself concentrating on the surf footage and blocking out the audio on the first viewing, probably the excitement of seeing a couple of long clean waves, something sadly lacking down this way lately.

Looks like that low off the coast has cranked up a notch this morning, noticed the 12z Mlaps has it down to around 992 this arvo and the latest quickscat was worth a second glance

#246606 - 29/01/2005 16:15 Re: Video Surf Forecasts
pingtang Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Nice work Thermalben! Top stuff smile

#246607 - 02/02/2005 06:59 Re: Video Surf Forecasts
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Finished number two yesterday. Pretty happy overall (we tried a few different things including a contrasty black-and-white look for some of the footage - but we had some problems with the audio towards the end which the software decided it didn't want to let us fix. I officially hate Macs now.. we were using a G4, and it proved to be as useless as a bugged PC smile

Also got a new Manfrotto tripod with a fluid head yesterday - what a difference that makes when filming surfers! It wasn't used for this second video forecast, but it'll get a good work out for my still and video photography work from now on.

#246608 - 02/02/2005 16:37 Re: Video Surf Forecasts
temp trace Offline

Good one TB, liked the B&W look. Maybe just a bit longer on the swell height graphic.

Had the cam out in the water yet?

#246609 - 02/02/2005 16:45 Re: Video Surf Forecasts
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Thanks TT. Yeah, we've been struggling with the Mac software, but I'm using Premiere as of tomorrow and it's going to be a whole lot better, including graphics etc smile

Water photography is really hard! I took it out on Saturday, and actually got a half decent barrel of my mate which we've put into a small clip (will let you know when it comes online). However, it's such a hard thing to do - making sure there's no water on the front of the housing, and keeping it nice and steady. It's amazing how clobbered you get sitting on the inside as well! I've been out a few times and reckon I have about 10-15 seconds of useable footage from around 1 hour of raw film. Makes you appreciate the good stuff from Jack McCoy & Co!

#246610 - 04/02/2005 06:02 Re: Video Surf Forecasts
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Number three is now up (don't worry, I won't keep adding to this thread every time I do a new FC!), and I've managed to make the picture a lot clearer due to a better software package. Also, we're now doing them in WMV which deliveres a great compression ratio for the file size on offer [Windows Media, 3.7MB] .

Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
LightningGus, Mikezoom, Ploddy
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image