NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#246612 - 21/03/2002 13:40 Easter surf conditions at Bells Beach
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tweed Coast
The first heats are still a week or so off, but it's looking quite possible for some pretty large surf for the duration of the Bells Beach Easter Classic. We have a strong LWT traversing the southern parts of the continent earlier in the week, and MRF in particular is progging a very strong SW flow behind it.

It will be very interesting to watch upcoming model runs on the intensity of the winds, as at this stage I'd be expecting some pretty hefty surf from Wednesday through 'till Saturday - possibly up around the 10ft mark for Thursday and Friday.

#246613 - 21/03/2002 13:41 Re: Easter surf conditions at Bells Beach
Adiabatic Offline

Loc: Knoxfield 96m: 120.2mm
Bloody Awesome, might just go down and have a peak I think if its getting that size eek

4 SEASONS laugh

#246614 - 23/03/2002 16:07 Re: Easter surf conditions at Bells Beach
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

It seems the models were going a little overboard at a week out shocked and the strong SW fetch is now going to favour very large surf in NZ instead of Vic. However, the swell will by no means be on the small side with fresh to strong SSW winds for the early rounds (uurrgghh!) producing some sizeable bumpy surf to keep competitors on their toes. A refracted groundswell should arrive towards the end of the week, and the finals (on Sunday & Monday?) look like scoring light variable winds with medium sized surf.

#246615 - 26/03/2002 12:59 Re: Easter surf conditions at Bells Beach
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Gee, this upper cold pool has really thrown a spanner into the works smile

We should see small (but increasing) junky surf for tomorrow as locally-generated windswell moves across from SA, with moderate cross-onshore S winds. Thursday should see slightly cleaner surf around 2 or 3ft, and we have a new groundswell arriving Thursday afternoon which will bring some medium sized surf to the Bells area for the following few days. Unfortunately it will be accompanied by SW winds which will moderate slowly over the Easter period; the surf size could get up around the 6ft mark on Friday, although it won't have the photographers racing around for more film. Windstrength will diminish over Sunday night and Monday with the swell dropping. Small to medium sized clean waves are most likely.

Unfortunately not a memorable Bells event this year frown

#246616 - 26/03/2002 16:59 Re: Easter surf conditions at Bells Beach
Alex Zadnik Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: VIC
Hey BR,
Swell is definitely looking up for bells, pity about the galeforce southerlies!(check out GASP on Saturday). I don't think you'll get too many spectators on the Beach. It might be worth holding a windsurfing comp instead!
On the upside, as you said, the winds are becoming light on Monday and Tuesday, so Johanna might have some sick waves if they move it 'round there(hopefully not, because I wouldn't mind heading down that way for some uncrowded waves).
Anyway I'll give you a report from Victoria when I get down there on Saturday.
Happy Easter Surfing,
Alex

Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
bradmac, Eager2beastormchaser, Go The Cows, Roland
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image