NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#246617 - 28/08/2003 06:53 Swellnet expanded to the East Coast
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tweed Coast
Hi all

Just a quickie - I have now expanded Swellnet to the East Coast, to include NSW (Sydney and North Coasts), and Qld (covering both the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast).

I'll eventually put the South Coast into this format, but at the moment it seems to tie in reasonably well with whatever Sydney's receiving. But I know there are small variations across the coastline, and if they arise I'll certainly note them as best as I can.

Swellnet will also have a site upgrade over the next week or so; nothing major (a few little things here and there, but basically an overall facelift).

All feedback most welcome!

#246618 - 28/08/2003 14:01 Re: Swellnet expanded to the East Coast
pingtang Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Hello Thermalben.

Great stuff.I'll bookmark your site right now.

#246619 - 28/08/2003 15:52 Re: Swellnet expanded to the East Coast
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
Bens site is a champion site. Very informative and he is pretty much never wrong. Great to see you're expanding Ben, be the premiere surf forecaster in the country smile

TS cool

#246620 - 28/08/2003 16:27 Re: Swellnet expanded to the East Coast
pingtang Offline

Its great that you're covering NSW.I used to visit your site,every now and then.Now I'll check it everyday. smile I usually post a surf report/extended outlook onto my website,and occasionally on realsurf.I'll be interested how my forcast compares to yours.

Keep up the great work.

:cheers:

#246621 - 28/08/2003 21:32 Re: Swellnet expanded to the East Coast
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Hi guys

Thanks for the nice words - glad you both like the forecasts. However Pingtang, I did notice today that you posted an almost complete transcription of my forecast on Realsurf today, and while I am flattered that you are in agreement with my surf outlook, there was no reference to your source (ie swellnet.com.au), so it assumes that you wrote the forecast yourself.

I don't mean to appear narky about it, as I know that you had the best of intentions. However if you use someone else's info on the web (this applies right across the board), it is highly recommended that you mention where the info came from.

Cheers, Ben

#246622 - 29/08/2003 13:59 Re: Swellnet expanded to the East Coast
pingtang Offline

Hello Ben.

Not a problem smile .You have every reason to mention that.After studying yesterday charts,models,WAM's etc,I came to the conclusion that your forcast looked just about right.The forcast I put on realsurf,was much shorter than yours but pretty much identical.If I do that next time,I'll mention that the source came from 'swellnet'.

#246623 - 29/08/2003 19:10 Re: Swellnet expanded to the East Coast
toc Offline

Loc: Cape Paterson
Ben,
have just checked your site out and think you are spot on the money for East Coast Victoria.
The breaks around Cape Paterson were clean and a good 5' tonight just on dark.
Keep up the work
TOC cool

#246624 - 29/08/2003 23:10 Re: Swellnet expanded to the East Coast
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Hi TOC

It seems the swell picked up nicely today in Victoria - Woolamai was reported to be in the 5-6' range this morning, but a solid 8' tonight. Unfortunately the wind is going to be a bit of a hassle this weekend, but if you can find a small window of opportunity there certainly won't be a lack of swell.

Great to hear from someone in your area! It's hard to get reliable reports from that part of the world. Victoria's definitely a weird kettle of fish to forecast for - it certainly keeps me on my toes smile

Cheers, Ben

#246625 - 17/09/2003 16:46 Re: Swellnet expanded to the East Coast
pingtang Offline

Hello Thermalben.

I noticed that your site has been upgraded.It looks good.Keep up the good work.

:cheers:

#246626 - 17/09/2003 17:38 Re: Swellnet expanded to the East Coast
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Hi Pingtang

Thanks - just uploaded it a few hours ago - you must have been quick! I got sick of the old site.. always happens when you have to look at it every day.

I'll be interested to see how the graphs turn out - they're manually done, but should give a reasonable overview as to what's happening. There's lots more on the cards too.. just a time factor at the moment.

Cheers, Ben

#246627 - 17/09/2003 17:42 Re: Swellnet expanded to the East Coast
temp trace Offline

Loc: Newcastle, NSW
G'day TB,
Love the look of the new site! Graphs are an excellent addition.

How weird have the conditions been, got up early this morning and grabbed a couple of 3ft’ers and then just nothing. Looking at the reports the north coast would have been worth a trip if you had the time frown

catch ya.

ps good news about CW

#246628 - 18/09/2003 00:13 Re: Swellnet expanded to the East Coast
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Hi Temp Trace

Thanks for the nice words smile I'm looking forward to see the general reaction around the place - but judging by the emails I have received in the few hours since it's been up, it's all good smile

Today was certainly a weird one though - how can you forecast something like that? Checking through the various reports, most of them were calling 'flat', and then every third one was '2-3ft' - with great photos to boot! There's been quite a bit of discussion on Ballina of late too; amazing what a local report with pics will do. I wonder if the economy will pick up there as a result? wink

Cheers re: CW too - I have been up here working for them for the last 2 months. The new stuff on the horizon is awesome.. it's going to be a big summer laugh

Ben

Who's Online
2 registered (mysteriousbrad, 1 invisible), 42 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
droughtboy, stormchaser88
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image