NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#246659 - 31/12/2003 20:18 Large Coral Sea swell
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tweed Coast
Large event on the cards for the next few days, but interestingly, the two RFO have different viewpoints on the swell direction:

Qld:
Quote:
Southeast Coast Waters
2.5 metres increasing SE/E swell
NSW:
Quote:
Far North Coastal Waters:
E/NE increasing to 2 to 3 metres.
Qld going for ESE, NSW going for ENE. Interesting.. I wonder where the axis of refraction is? laugh (obviously right off Point Danger..)

Either way, there's some hefty surf on the cards.. how convenient that I fly home to the Gold Coast tomorrow!!

#246660 - 31/12/2003 22:28 Re: Large Coral Sea swell
pingtang Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Very convenient laugh laugh

Yes,its shaping up to be a great event for northern NSW,and southern QLD.Lennox,Burleigh,Kirra etc could get very interesting over the next week.The winds will take the edge off quality,but im sure somewhere will be good.

#246661 - 31/12/2003 23:22 Re: Large Coral Sea swell
Adiabatic Offline

Loc: Knoxfield 96m: 120.2mm
Lets hope it heads north to Noosa, I will be there Friday!

Better put on a show!!!

Karl smile

#246662 - 02/01/2004 13:16 Re: Large Coral Sea swell
pingtang Offline

Hello Ben and Karl.I hope you both had a good surf this morning. wink

I myself,had a fairly good surf today.I surfed "Redsands" very early this morning.Size generally ranged from head to double head high-ie 3-5ft+.Some bomb sets were a fair bit bigger than double head.Thats fairly impressive size,however I must note that Redsands is a big swell magnet in NE swells.Some days it can be head high,while everywhere else is tiny.Today,most other beaches were quite small at 2-3ft.The swell seemed quite peaky at first,however much more promising lines moved through later on-possibly the first signs of groundswell.The swell direction as I said was N/NE.Wave quality was quite good
this morning thanks to an unexpected S/SW change last night.A NEer in the 20-25kt range has now kicked in,chopping the surf up at every break but the northern corners.

Ben,what are your thoughts on this swell event now.I read your prediction for Friday,and it mentioned 6-8ft+ and poss much bigger sets at exposed venues.This was for NE NSW/SE QLD.Would exposed venues,be recieving that much swell at the moment? Most of the info im getting,suggests that this swell is a shade smaller and more managable than expected.If this is the case,maybe the winds associated with low,wernt as strong as expected.Anyway im only getting my info from the computer-I could be completely wrong.
Also what are you're thoughts for the NSW south coast tomorrow and Sunday.Surely we'll get some groundswell,but it could get disguised thanks to the fresh onshore airstream.Hopefully something will refract into the northern corners!.

Have a fun time surfing. :cheers:

#246663 - 02/01/2004 15:02 Re: Large Coral Sea swell
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by pingtang:
Ben,what are your thoughts on this swell event now.I read your prediction for Friday,and it mentioned 6-8ft+ and poss much bigger sets at exposed venues.This was for NE NSW/SE QLD.Would exposed venues,be recieving that much swell at the moment? Most of the info im getting,suggests that this swell is a shade smaller and more managable than expected.If this is the case,maybe the winds associated with low,wernt as strong as expected.Anyway im only getting my info from the computer-I could be completely wrong.
Hi Pingtang

Yep, it was BIG this morning! I surfed Currumbin this morning, and it was very large on the (rare) big sets. I'd call it solid 6' with a few rogue bigger sets a foot or more above this, but other 'more exposed' locations just south of the border would be picking up heaps more energy. Already had one report from Coffs of 6-8' surf, and another from Lennox Head which was 6-8' with a few bomb bigger sets.

However, all of the surf reports are saying different things (I have my own opinions on that;)): 4-6' (Coastalwatch), 2-3' (SurfIT), 5-7' (Mike Perry), 8' (Burleighcam). Additionally, I reckon we're still yet to see the peak of the swell; Snapper has been breaking strongly all day, and I reckon the arvo will really kick in the size department yet again. All week has pretty much followed expectations in this part of the world.

You're right though about the winds.. they were a shade under model expectations. Also, there's been less ENE component to the fecth that was expected, so southern NSW's prospects will (probably) be scaled back a touch. Still, I'm expecting an impressive increase today (considering the last few weeks of surf, anyway) south of Coffs, and we should see some good NE swell over the weekend in Sydney. But keep in mind that you're quite far away from the swell source, so you'll see slightly smaller than the CBD.

New forecast will be online in a few hours.. just currently doing SA and Vicco - Sydney and Qld will be up by 7pm.

Cheers, Ben

#246664 - 03/01/2004 11:14 Re: Large Coral Sea swell
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Similar surf size again this morning, possibly a shade smaller, around 5-6'+.

Once again, what an array in surf reports: 4-6' (Coastalwatch), 1-3' (SurfIT), 4-7' (Mike Perry), 8-9' (Burleighcam).

Swell looks like it's finally penetrating south.. came up later yesterday arvo (on the Narabeen cam, also confirmed by the guys at the Billabong World Juniors), but is really taking its time to make its presence felt. Can't see a huge amount of size from this event for you Pingtang.

#246665 - 03/01/2004 13:02 Re: Large Coral Sea swell
pingtang Offline

Hello Ben.

Unfortunatly I have to agree.The surf prospects for the south coast look rather poor.This morning was certainly dissapointing.I got up at 4am,but came away with nothing.Redsands had the biggest waves at 3-4ft,but it was fully exposed to the northerly wind.Everywhere else was 1-2ft.There was no groundswell whatsoever-just short period stuff from the NE.We may get some groundswell tomorrow,but I wouldent expect anything over 4ft.My next hope is Monday-A southerly change,should clean up southern corners dramatically Monday afternoon.Hopefully,we'll have some NE swell left.

The north coast/sth qld is the place to be today.In fact,the North Coast should be good tomorrow/Monday and OK through next week.When this current swell winds down,there could be another long range one for the north coast mid week thanks to a nice low near Fiji.It wont be big,but the period will good.What are you're thoughts on this?.

Have a good day. smile

#246666 - 05/01/2004 13:38 Re: Large Coral Sea swell
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by pingtang:
.When this current swell winds down,there could be another long range one for the north coast mid week thanks to a nice low near Fiji.It wont be big,but the period will good.What are you're thoughts on this?.
Unfortunately, we'll see nothing at all from this low (actually Cyclone Heta). Bar the southerly swell for the weekend, things are looking pretty small for NSW for the near future.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
benny200, ChaseNZ, ptera, stormymick1, ThunderstormZ, typhoonbeach
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image