NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#246740 - 09/12/2002 01:57 Fishing - Seafood Recipes & Cooking Ideas
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany.W.A.
Terrified's great Fishing thread is groooowing, so thought i might start a separate thread for what comes after catching the fish - the cooking !!! This is so those who don't want to have to put up with our fishy tales can enjoy cooking some great seafood even if u don't catch it yourself. Heres my first contribution: -
Beer batter - I've treid & had so many beer batters & been unhappy, but last week i got a couple of KG Whiting that i would normally fillet & pan fry, but being quite thick thru decided batter was best. As luck had it, the nite before Jammie Oliver did a simple beer batter that looked real good. I've had a lot of success with his recipeds before & it worked very well. Quite simple.... 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of beer. Next is the important bit SEPARATE 1 egg (white from yoke). Put yoke into beer & flour & mix. Put egg white in another bowl and wisk until egg white is stiff & sticks to the bowl (really stiff - so u can turn it upsidedown without it falling out of bowl!!!) Then CAREFULLY fold egg white into the flour/beer/yoke mixture. Dip fish in the batter & fry in HOT oil (Canola oil if possible to help Goody's farming). It really made the lightest batter i've ever used! smile
:wave: FE

#246741 - 09/12/2002 18:42 Re: Fishing - Seafood Recipes & Cooking Ideas
KES Offline

Loc: MARSFIELD
To make the best deep fried calamari rings you've ever tasted.....soak the calamari rings for about 1 to 3 hours in white wine, then dry off and coat in seasoned flour then beaten eggs then the bread crumbs.

Have your oil super hot....say 190c and gently drop each ring in the deep frier, one at a time. Don't over crowd, do small batches at a time, as the oil will drop in temp and they will end up steaming instead of frying. When deep brown in colour, remove, then drain on paper towels. Serve with lemon wedges and tartare sauce!

Yum.................Kes :wave:

Ps...always buy the freshest and best quality seafood you can find!!!

#246742 - 13/12/2002 21:43 Re: Fishing - Seafood Recipes & Cooking Ideas
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Kes Kat, we had squid for lunch done as per u're recipe - it was beautiful. As u might have seen in Fishing Thread, i always feeze even fresh quid overnight. If u cant catch a fresh squid, but can buy one from fisherman that is only 2 or 3 hrs caught, i'd still frezze it - it certainly tenderises. Made 2 little variations to your recipe : Firstly crushed up a teaspoon of Fennel seed & added to seasoned flour ( quite often do this for seasoned flour for a lot of fish fillets) Secondly i put the rings in the fridge for 1/2 hrs after coating - i find this makes the coating stick on better. I also do this if i put seasoned flour on fish fillets. Wine gave a nice suble tang. we r so lucky to have such wonder food here in Oz - i will write up another squid recipe which my figure freak daughter likes - Squid Salid, but not tonite (too busy ATM had this sitting here for last 2 hrs)

#246743 - 13/12/2002 22:14 Re: Fishing - Seafood Recipes & Cooking Ideas
astrogen Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Brisbane
Quote:
Originally posted by KES KAT:
To make the best deep fried calamari rings you've ever tasted.....soak the calamari rings for about 1 to 3 hours in white wine, then dry off and coat in seasoned flour then beaten eggs then the bread crumbs.

Have your oil super hot....say 190c and gently drop each ring in the deep frier, one at a time. Don't over crowd, do small batches at a time, as the oil will drop in temp and they will end up steaming instead of frying. When deep brown in colour, remove, then drain on paper towels. Serve with lemon wedges and tartare sauce!

Yum.................Kes :wave:

Ps...always buy the freshest and best quality seafood you can find!!!
i'm actually a dolphin free person.....

#246744 - 20/12/2002 18:55 Re: Fishing - Seafood Recipes & Cooking Ideas
KES Offline

Loc: MARSFIELD
Hey...Great to here that FF!!! I think I'll put your variations to the test over the weekend! laugh

I'm gonna do a thread in the "Lounge" to alet other WZ chefs to post some recipes!!

I'm glad you liked my little dolphin pics Astro!!

I'll post up "garlic prawns" tomorrow!

Kes

#246745 - 21/12/2002 19:53 Re: Fishing - Seafood Recipes & Cooking Ideas
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi K.K. & anyone interested in lovely seafood!!!!
Quick Squid salid: For those who like squid, but are concerned about diet you might like to try a squid salid. Get a fresh locally caught squid (not imported rubber gloves) freeze overnite. Take from fridge, cut while frozen into rings. Boil a saucepan of water (with 1-2 tablespoons of sea salt) with 3 - 4 cloves of garlic being in the water right from start of heating water. When the water is boiling (bubbling) drop in squid rings (still frozen). The water will go off the boil, cook the rings for 1min 30 sec ONLY once water has reached the boil. Remove the rings & put in icecold water for 5 mins. Drain, make a seafood sauce and serve thru a light salid. Healthy, tasty & easy to do!!

#246746 - 21/12/2002 19:57 Re: Fishing - Seafood Recipes & Cooking Ideas
temp trace Offline

Loc: Newcastle, NSW
G'day FE, kat woman and all

We had squid for lunch today, caught fresh this morning. I always cut it into squares than tenderize* before dipping into a egg/breadcrumb mix. Deep fry till just brown - overcooking is a no no. Squeeze of fresh lemon over the top than served with a bowl of sweet chili sauce for dipping and green salad.

*Don't mess around with those small tenderizers go
and get yourself the 50mm x 50mm mother of all
tenderizers from a kitchen supply shop. (Take it from me it can be most therapeutic at times.)

#246747 - 21/12/2002 20:02 Re: Fishing - Seafood Recipes & Cooking Ideas
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Great simple & tasty recipe TT, did u catch the squid? Thanks TT found your reply in Fishing!!!

#246748 - 10/12/2004 05:15 Re: Fishing - Seafood Recipes & Cooking Ideas
James Offline

Loc: Newcastle
when i was young i would catch a fish and jam a stick straight up his date...then onto the hot coles for about six minutes. turning often.
when crispy...peel back the skin for a tasty meal....helps to be starving hungry.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
stormryder, Taylsy, Willoughby
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image