NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#246749 - 30/05/2002 18:31 Big swell Sydney 29/5
Alex Zadnik Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: VIC
Yesterday Sydeny copped a bit of a pummeling. Swell was 6-8ft with some bigger sets pushing 10ft by reports. Swell period on the bouy (Sydney) was out to 16 seconds, with 4.5m swells. This swell was generated by a low that was located a long way south in the Southern Ocean. I was suprised that Sydney recieved this swell considering the south to southwest direction of the fetch. Being new to Sydney I would be interested to know if this is a common event, or if most large swells are generated by ECL's?
Anyone, anyone
Alex

#246750 - 30/05/2002 19:15 Re: Big swell Sydney 29/5
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tweed Coast
My personal opinion is that ECLs typically have a stronger presure gradient than other East Coast swell generating mechanisms (aside from TCs, obviously), and this is responsible for the added size. I've also found that the associated swell events are of shorter duration; building to a peak over a few days then dying down over a few more. Other EC swell Can linger for weeks on end if the synoptic situation is set up correctly (I think we discussed this in another thread?).

This particular event was interesting as the size of the swell was intensified by sustained galeforce SSW winds on the SW flank of the blocking LWT over NZ - not the most optimal wind direction, but the strength was up around 50kts+ for a long period of time. Have a look at the Quickscat data around 55S 160E - pretty impressive! I imagine some venues in the South Pacific would have seen some enormous waves over the last few days...good reports are hard to come by in that area though.

Did you get any waves over the last few days Alex? I think we did our dash in SA over the last few weeks of Autumn; these recent blocking patterns are providing nice weather but only small swells over here smile

#246751 - 30/05/2002 21:29 Re: Big swell Sydney 29/5
350rat Offline

Loc: maitland
Johnny being a waxhead for many years the swell gets bigger than this usually with a cyclone and from the ne . It has been known to get up to 20ft on rare days but usually 10 to 15 ft max.Thats telegraph pole waves southerly swells from deep low pressures in bass strait region are norm for the winter.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
bjfpolarbear, JuNgLeJiM, Propofol, Rock
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image