Page 1 of 154 1 2 3 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#246802 - 02/01/2002 23:32 NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Adiabatic Offline

Loc: Knoxfield 96m: 120.2mm
I am extremley dissapointed with the amount of swell around NSW. I was in Ulladulla on 4 Days and Mollymook only offered some real nice 2 foot at the most shories, which were fun if you like damaging your boards.

I was in Sydney on New Years and was expecting to see some wonderful surf off Shark Island, well the best that I saw was 3 foot, but hey I saw Shark Island!!!!!!!!

The best surf that I had was at Malua Bay on the south coast with the fresh seabreezes. Fun to bodysurf.

On the last day it was the first time the wind had really turned offshore but as it did the swell became non existant and there was more windchop than anything.

How are all the NSW surfies feeling at the moment with the swell? Down here in Victoria Woolamai Beach and Express on Phillip Island are experiencing 8' waves ATM, apparantly they had 8' foot waves on a NW wind eek

With the weather pattern as it stands, there looks like another quiet week on the way for all the beaches around NSW!!

4 SEASONS laugh

[ 28-01-2002: Message edited by: 4 Seasons ]

#246803 - 03/01/2002 00:37 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Simmah Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wollongong - NSW
hey 4S
Did you go to the badly named "Surf beach", if i recall correctly its about 15-20 minutes South from "the BAY", along the great ocean road, been ther a few time and the Surf has been barley enough for body boarding, Im pretty sure iv been to Malua Bay also and Body borded a few time, but its been a few years since ive been.

SA

#246804 - 03/01/2002 11:59 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Adiabatic Offline

Surf beach...LOL, we went past it so many times and scratched our heads at the name, it was more like a lake, the only waves that were visible were from the gale force NW and they were pretty flat aswell. Ahwell, I am back in VIC now where the surf is huge and looking very good for this weekend smile

4 SEASONS laugh

#246805 - 03/01/2002 14:55 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
pingtang Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Hello 4 seasons

I went surfing last Saturday and Sunday down at Ulladulla and Bawley point,which is about 20kms north of Batemans Bay.

On saturday afternoon,I left my place to head down to Bawley point and hoped for a last afternoon glass-off.At 7:00PM the surf got really good,and I was pulling into 1 metre shore-breaks.I slept in the car on Saturday Night.
On Sunday morning,the surf was excellent,and at Dolphin point(Ulladulla),the surf was easily overhead,and going off.The tide was too high for the Golf Course reef,but on a low tide it too would have been really good.I went up to Pipe later that day,and was confronted by some nice 2 metre set waves.

So there was swell down here on the week-end.Every other day was pretty much flat.

#246806 - 03/01/2002 22:30 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Pingtang,

All I can do is just grind my teeth, we went to golf course aswell on Saturday and the 1.9m high tide did seem to hamper any real surfing conditions. It looked as if the tide was at 1.4m as normal it would have been ideal everywhere, but again I enjoyed my holiday.

I love the south coast, if it were a little less shouded in soke it would have been great!!!!!

I should have met up with you while I was in the area for a week!!!

4 SEASONS laugh

#246807 - 08/01/2002 22:45 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
pingtang Offline

hoping for some decent surf tomorrow,with that big fat low sitting in the Tasman sea.

The surf report said 1FT in the morning,and at 4PM in the afternoon it had picked up to a solid metre plus from the SE.There could be some solid waves tomorrow,maybe even over 2 metres. smile

#246808 - 09/01/2002 12:09 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Adiabatic Offline

I hope so for all you surfies up there that it does get to a nice even 4ft tomorrow. With the SE swell it does seem the swell will definantly pick up.

I found that when I surfed in the morning that the swell in the morning is cruddy, where in the afternoon it seems the swell is much better? Can anyone comment on that?

4 SEASONS laugh

#246809 - 09/01/2002 22:39 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
pingtang Offline

I cant trust the ocean during summer and spring any more.I went for a surf check at 5AM this morning,and I was confronted with half metre shore-break mushburgers.Maybe,the high tide affected it a bit,but I was expecting more.Theres a good low in the Tasman with a pressure of about 984hp,and theres heaps of iso-bars around it meaning that there must be heaps of winds out there.Unfortunatly little swell has reached the coast,even though the horizon looked bumpy.

Ahhh,I cant wait for winter.I just keep on getting memorys of that 5 metre(with the odd 6 metre beast set)swell which we got in July,with associated offshore winds and sunny weather for the whole time.I went out to Redsands,during that swell,and we got 4 metre waves breaking onto reef,with only 1FT of water covering it.The barrels were so wide that day you could fit a car into some of them.Guys like Ryan Hardy and the Player brothers were out there.Injurys recieved out there included,blown eardrums,broken collerbones,and face lacerations.I just cannot wait for winter,as you are almost guarenteed of a good surf.Water temps are still OK in early winter too,being over 20 for much of June.

#246810 - 10/01/2002 09:08 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Adiabatic Offline

Hey PT,

Tough break, pardon the pun, but seriously you think there was something with that low pressure system.

When will the swell pick up!!!!!

4 SEASONS laugh

#246811 - 10/01/2002 14:00 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tweed Coast
Pintang

Although 'heaps of isobars' usually implies strong winds, they can be of little use as they need to be aimed pretty well straight at your beach for optimum wave potential.

Quote:
Originally posted by pingtang:
Theres a good low in the Tasman with a pressure of about 984hp,and theres heaps of iso-bars around it meaning that there must be heaps of winds out there.

Take a look at this MesoLaps chart:
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/charts/lapsMesoMSLPressure.jsp
The Southern Ocean has a large WSW fetch at the moment organising the groundswell very nicely at the moment (outcome? great surf in SA from Fri thru' to next Wed). This is because the wind is blowing consistently from one direction over a large area. (ok, this chart is slightly exaggerated as MesoLaps has 2hpa spacing and GASP and LAPS have 4hpa spacing, but you get the idea).

I didn't really track the low in the Tasman, but there could be some swell from it...just not where you are! Interpreting ocean wind directions can be really hard work (AWSs are hard to come by below 40S wink ), but they are the most important aspect of knowing what the surf will be like.

Cheers, Ben

#246812 - 11/01/2002 12:28 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Alex Zadnik Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: VIC
I am missing waves over 4ft, please no more talk of swell in SA, BR, it's getting depressing! Did have a fun day at Tamarama on monday night, offshore and 4ft but nothing special. Down south mission to Gibsons Steps is on the cards in Autumn to get some southern ocean juice! (even the one day it did get over 6ft(2 months ago now) in Sydney the power is comparable to a wind swell on Port Phillip Bay!)

#246813 - 11/01/2002 13:51 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
pingtang Offline

Actually the swell did come up to about 2.5 metres yesterday from the SSE.Today its dropped back a little,to about 2 metres around here.So we did get swell-it just came a little later than anticipated.

#246814 - 11/01/2002 18:57 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Adiabatic Offline

Thats good news there Pingtang, looks like maybe a good weekend of surfing in months

4 SEASONS laugh

[ 12-01-2002: Message edited by: 4 Seasons ]

#246815 - 11/01/2002 19:18 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
pingtang Offline

Swells up to 3 metres on the sets.Its looking OK for the weekend like you said.

#246816 - 12/01/2002 11:45 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Adiabatic Offline

Hows the Ulladulla region looking, Golfcourse? the break of South Pacific Drive and Hollywood drive?

Is it extending further north to Sydney, strong southerlies are affecting the whole coast so hopefully the waves are not windchopped.

4 SEASONS laugh

#246817 - 12/01/2002 12:31 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
pingtang Offline

The Golf Course reef might have been OK this morning.However,the swell has tapered off quite a bit this morning to about the Head High range.I am also worried about the 1.8metre high tide.The Golf Course reef is more of a low tide spot.I have arrived there many times before,seeing perfect lines on the reef,but not breaking because of the high-tide.The wind was perfect for Golf course earlier today,with a light SWer.Unfortunatly,the winds have swung onshore now to the SE.

Dolphin Point may of been OK,and it is usually double the size of what Golf Course is.The SWer would have been excellent there too.

Its great to have a surf,where it isnt sunny for once.Temps still 17C at 12:00,and it doesent look like rising much either.

#246818 - 13/01/2002 00:34 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Adiabatic Offline

Hey Pingtang,

I have a tide chart that I picked up at one of the surf shops in Ulladulla, and it reads that the high tide is 2.1m during next week eek , So you have swell and good height but an annoying KING TIDE.

Where do you usually surf?

4 SEASONS laugh

#246819 - 13/01/2002 14:32 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
pingtang Offline

Yeah,those early morning king tides are a pain.Atleast the high tides occur later on in the day,as the week progresses.Yesterday the high-tide was at 8AM,and today its closer to 9AM.This means that,a really low tide will occur early in the day next week.

I surf everywhere from Wollongong,to Bawley Point.(30km north of Batemans Bay).I make alot of trips down to Ulladulla,to surf at the Golf Course reef,Dolphin point,and other less known spots.I surf at green island,which is twice as long as the Golf Course Reef in terms of wave length.Green Island is situated at Bendelong.I go surfing at Sussex inlet alot,and I occasionally surf at Aussie Pipe.I do alot of surfing at Culburra,which is located about 15kms east of Nowra.And I go surfing alot,up near Wollongong and Kiama,where breaks such as Redsands and Boneyard are located.There is no one spot,that I surf at all the time.I like to surf,any hollow wave on the South Coast.I usually get out well before dawn,to beat the crowds.However,crowds are rarely a problem.My favourite wave would have to be Lobster bay,which breaks less than 10 metres from dry rock,and is a really hollow powerful wave.It can nearly suck dry on you on smaller days.

Where do you usually surf.Do you surf at places like Express Point etc.

#246820 - 14/01/2002 00:25 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Adiabatic Offline

Hey PT,

Bendalong I heard is one of those spots that absorb all available swell on a good day, never saw that, maybe next time. smile

I usually surf at Express Point (EP) on Phillip Island, Smithies or Smiths Beach on a really big day, like it is ATM. We have had 7ft waves for the past 4 Days, once those winds turn NE its looking good.

Have you ever surfed at Shark Island?
Has anyone?

4 SEASONS laugh

#246821 - 14/01/2002 12:42 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
pingtang Offline

Bendelong,picks up all of the available swell,if its coming from the S/SE or E.For us,that is the usual swell direction that we will get.NE swells,will miss most of Bendelong,but these swells are rare and are mostly generated by cyclones,or short period windswells.

I have never surfed at Shark Island before.Actually I have never seen the place break before in real life!!!!

Page 1 of 154 1 2 3 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
9 registered (Trumper, EddyG, Steve777, Mathew, Ollieo, Hagrid, Kino, 2 invisible), 272 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
batty
Forum Stats
29370 Members
32 Forums
23686 Topics
1462556 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image