Page 3 of 154 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#246842 - 20/01/2002 16:42 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
pingtang Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Kirra was probrably only Head-High,but it looked so perfect.

Its a pity,that the conditions wernt great down your way.If the waters are sharky,then I guess it aint worth the risk of paddling in if the quality is bad.I have been chased out of the surf by a shark before.The shark was pretty small though,probrably 2 metres.I saw the fin about 50metres away,so I immediatly paddled in calmly but quickly to shore.When i got out,the shark was only 20 metres out to sea.

At the moment here,our surf is influenced by high-pressure systems.These highs have generated fresh winds from the NE,but little if any swell.If we do get swell it will be generated by the Ne'ers,but the wave period will be very short(6 seconds),and the conditions will be junky and weak.I cant see any decent swell for the next 7 days,but they are forcasting storms for all of next week,so that is good. smile

#246843 - 20/01/2002 17:33 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Adiabatic Offline

Loc: Knoxfield 96m: 120.2mm
Hey PT,

I hate it when you mistake dolphin fins for shark fins, I cannot make the difference between the two.

This week is again looking OK for us folk own here, with easterly winds tending NE by the weekend with a stubborn trough in control its not looking that bad, though swell direction and height is the issue.

Enjoy your storms you lucky *$!& laugh
4 SEASONS laugh

#246844 - 20/01/2002 23:48 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
pingtang Offline

On to the second page here. laugh

The North Easter was really strong up here today,so there might be a little windswell running at the moment.It will be junky though,and weak.It wouldent be worth going out,unless you were desperate,or your a beginner.And theres the blue-bottles as well. eek

It seems that the weather patterns have returned to a normal summer patern.There arnt as many big lows south of Australia.That means less swell,for NSW.Are you still getting decent swells in Victoria?

#246845 - 21/01/2002 01:59 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Adiabatic Offline

Yay!!!!!!!!!! 2 PAGES LOL laugh

Yeah we are still getting the follow through from 3 weeks of rough unseasonal low pressure and gale force Southerlies, which have resulted in massive surf. The best of it was on the first week of Jan, 7ft clean and offshore NW winds, this was while I was in NSW, swimming and body surfing 1ft shories... laugh NOW THATS DESPERATE PT!!!!!!!!

The swell is beginning to receed dramatically although it is a new moon, I will check in the morning to see what its like, give Phillip Island a call and then post again.

Well I think the bed is beckoning, later.......

4 SEASONS laugh

#246846 - 21/01/2002 15:15 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
pingtang Offline

Staying up a bit late are we.I stayed up to 2PM the other night because of the tennis.It was the Sampras,Enquist game.That match seemed to go on for ever.

Today the swell is over a metre,but it is windswell.Could be something worth riding,early tomorrow morning.I can hear some thunder now,so hopefully there might be a storm,to produce a late arvo glass-off.

#246847 - 21/01/2002 15:28 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Adiabatic Offline

2pm........thats when I get up laugh

Anyway windswell, anything worth surfing this arvo do you think? I see some nice storms on the radar affrecting the Shoalhaven and South Coast, you could surf and watch storms, I love that.

And by the way that ain't late, I have been posting some times 4am in the morning.

4 SEASONS laugh

#246848 - 21/01/2002 15:37 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
pingtang Offline

The Ne'er is pretty strong today on the coast,but it is calm at Nowra.I dont know about this afternoon,but maybe tomorrow.Usually when a storm comes across,the wind swings to the west temporarily.When it passes,the wind shifts around immediatly.I like tomorrow mornings chances better.

There is some rain coming across now,and you can see this on the radar.If i cant get a surf,I will be happy with a storm.

So youve posted at 4AM before.I get up at 4AM to surf,but I never stay up to that time.

#246849 - 21/01/2002 15:41 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Adiabatic Offline

LOL, I got up at 3am on Saturday morning to surf and it felt wrong, I said to my cousins who I surf with, I go to bed in an hour.

Do you go and surf most mornings? It has been OK of late up your way.

4 SEASONS laugh

#246850 - 21/01/2002 15:52 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
pingtang Offline

No,I dont surf much at all during the summer.I do most of my surfing in winter,and even then I only go out every week-end.However,when i go surfing,I stay in the water for 5 hours or more.Some-times I go on the train to go surfing,and it is not un-usual for me to walk 10kilometres to go surfing.

#246851 - 21/01/2002 16:18 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Adiabatic Offline

Wow talk about dedication, I sometimes go to a beach with a massive sandune and get on my old board and slide down it, beats walking. But I don't mind walking means oyu don't have to stretch that long before hand.

Do you wear as Spring suit or the full length wetty?

4 SEASONS laugh

#246852 - 21/01/2002 17:56 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
The other weekend i manged to come out unscathed from a 8ft Petrol cove Barrel, which looked bloody big as it reared up. The beach is steep and rocky with a dumping tube. Misstime it and it hurts especially on the rocks. Knights near Victor got up to 5ft and was nice not as steep take off as petrol and Horseshow Bay a family beach would u believe turned it on with a killer 6ft shorie. Man i was caned.

#246853 - 21/01/2002 22:27 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
pingtang Offline

Hi lennie.I got a flogging a few weeks ago as well.I was surfing at a spot in Gerringong NSW.The sets were well over-head,and the barrels were pretty big.You can only surf the spot on high tide,as at low-tide the rock ledge is practically dry.Anyway,I took off on this big wave,and when I took the drop,I knew I wasnt going to make it.So I straightened out instead of pulling in.The barrel broke right in front of me,and I was sent on a fun trip over the falls.Thankfully I didnt hit the bottom.I was lucky,as it is usually a foot deep where the wave breaks.

Hi 4S.The water temperatures are usually 23 degrees in summer,but it can get down to 15 degrees in winter.So I wear a spring-suit in Summer,and a steamer in winter.I guess I am a little dedicated.I have been out in 50knot winds,and torrential rain.I have been out when the air temp is about 4degrees or less.I have walked 10kms to go surfing at an isolated spot,and then have to walk the 10kms back.All of this done with no drinking water.I guess I am a little silly actually,but it keeps me fit. laugh

So what are the water temps like down in Victoria.

#246854 - 23/01/2002 13:12 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Adiabatic Offline

Hey Pingtang,

It appears that the temp is around 17-19 around parts of the coast ATM, not really getting warmer or cooler. Not too bad, but boy NSW was warm for me, I only needed a rashy and bordies when there.

I ave never been to Noosa but I heard it makes NSW seem freezing...I can't imagine water that warm.

And by the way, you went surfing in 50 knot winds and torrential rain, was that the classic east coast low surf?

Lennie,
You have had a good surf by the sounds of it, its good to hear your getting flogged as PT said, means your actually getting out there.

4 SEASONS laugh

#246855 - 23/01/2002 16:14 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
pingtang Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 4 Seasons:

And by the way, you went surfing in 50 knot winds and torrential rain, was that the classic east coast low surf?

I dont think so.What happened was,a reasonable low deepened off the far south coast of NSW,and this directed really strong winds and heavy rain over us.This also brought the swell up to 4-5 metres,but it was very messy.I just went surfing at a protected reef-break,where it was only 2-3 metres.It wasnt anything special-definatly not classic,but the forcasts were interesting.The coastal waters forcast said 14-16 metre seas,and 6-8 metre swell.They were predicting 40 knot winds from the south,with 60knot gusts.
We did get a classic easterly swell last year,where it was 5-6 metres for 3 days.However the low was above New-Zeland,and didnt effect our weather at all.We got all day offshores for the whole 3 days,and sunny weather as well.I have got some great photosof this swell,taken with the disposable underwater camera.I hope we get another swell this year.

Today,was a pretty good day surfwise,on the South Coast.I went out for about 3 hours dis-morning,and I got some really nice barrels.It was about Head-high,and off-shore where I was.A NE windswell had built over the past few days.Last night a southerly change came through.This meant that there were plently of good waves in sheltered corners,protected from the Southerly.The water temp was a little cooler today-probrably only 19degrees.

Oh well thats enough typing for me.Whats the surf like down at Victoria at the moment?

#246856 - 23/01/2002 16:24 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Adiabatic Offline

Hey Pingtang,

Yeah how dare you steal the limelight...... :p let me type!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway surf down at Phillip Island is a little smaller today, around 3ft-5ft, but compared to what it was last week it is small, the west coast is not too bad, Gunamatta which is on the Penisula is averaging 2m or around 6ft in the ol scale and the west coast is up around 5ft ATM, best only in early conditions at this stage.

Looking like a good weekend with plenty of swell reamining and a light offshore E/NE, basically the same as last weekend.

So how was the storm last night?

4 SEASONS laugh

#246857 - 23/01/2002 16:39 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
pingtang Offline

What storm,we didnt get a storm last night.I think you mean the night before. laugh
The storm we got 2 nights ago was pretty good.It had some really nice CG's.The storm lasted over 2 hours,and we got some good rain as well-probrably 15millimetres.I cant see many more in the near future.At the moment,it is quite cool,and overcast with a temp of 22degrees.There will be no storms tonight thats for sure.Did you check the Sydney radar,at about this time 2 nights ago?

This weekend looks OK for NSW.We may get some Easterly swell.Im worryed about the wind though.Could be onshore. eek

#246858 - 23/01/2002 17:48 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Adiabatic Offline

Unfortunatley if we are in a E/NE pattern then it must mean you are getting an onshore wind, however I don't think it will be to strong, we are in a light wind period then so the pressure gradient won't be that tight I assume.

4 SEASONS laugh

#246859 - 24/01/2002 13:50 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
pingtang Offline

The surf has backed off to about 1FT today.

However,it is still looking OK for the weekend,with a E/NE swell predicted.SE/NE winds are predicted,and the BOM are going for rain-periods for saturday.Thanks for giving us your Victorian weather. laugh

#246860 - 24/01/2002 14:16 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
Adiabatic Offline

No worries there PT wink smile

So the swell is not high today, but it should definantly pick up on the weekend, could be some pretty heavy messy waves over the north oast with that low in the Coral Sea.

Do you ever surf North/Central Coast?

4 SEASONS laugh

#246861 - 24/01/2002 14:25 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
pingtang Offline

Hi 4S

I have never surfed north of Sydney.I should go up there some-day,as there are some good breaks up there.I havent surfed south of Batmans Bay either.The most south surf ive had,was at the Tomakin Rivermouth just South of Batemans Bay.

I am hoping for the swell to pick up.The surf will be worth checking on Saturday morning anyway.

Have you ever surfed in South Australia?

Page 3 of 154 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
12 registered (Kino, Wave Rider, grayarea, scott12, Mathew, GringosRain, Mamma Tus, Blowin', Mike Hauber, RC, justme, 1 invisible), 308 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
batty
Forum Stats
29370 Members
32 Forums
23686 Topics
1462533 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image