Page 141 of 154 < 1 2 ... 139 140 141 142 143 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#249602 - 22/01/2009 20:48 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
stokie Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Adelaide
Yeah I've found that its usually the summer SE windswells which wash away the sand at knights, then the more westerly swells build it up. It has it's moments thats for sure. I'll be on it tomorrow for sure.

Sounds like you've been getting mid coast like conditions SA, much the same as what I've been getting of late - with a 40min drive though.

#249603 - 22/01/2009 21:10 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
SAsurfa Offline
Weather Freak

Yeah, I would say it was like Southport except the beachies are better here ay. There were lots of banks and the swell was offering both lefts and rights. Just had another surf then, 2nd for the day laugh and it was great fun, swell is picking up a little with 2ft clean lefts with the ocasional 3ft set coming through. Can't wait till we see some real swells!

And yeah the westerlies would pile up the sand and the SE'ers take it away as well. If only Waits Point could build up a bit of sand and break like a real point break :rolleyes:

#249604 - 22/01/2009 22:08 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
percy_04 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Unley, SA, Fine weather bubble...
good to hear your over there safe and well... Parsons was littered with baby blueys the other week..

I have to work tomorrow but am planning on being at boomer very early on sat if it is good and hangover dependant.

kind really looking forward to it.. if it isnt working ill be down at knights as well

#249605 - 22/01/2009 22:40 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
aztech. Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Port Lincoln, Eyre Peninsula
Knights has changed, you know that rock that pops up just in front of the photo rocks?, that little rock that sits there, it hardly ever used to be above the sand, the gradient of the sand bank has become flatter over the years in general and more of the beach been eaten away, of course you would get storms that would wash the sand totally away, but it never seems to come back just as much as it used to, the bank building westerlies come and go, where as they used to stay for a week or weeks, if you look down to Chiton/Dump have a look at how much sand is down there, the beach is massive, the modern drunken weather patterns have changed the average day at knights.

and surfSA yes there is usually mates to surf with, only a handfull of times have I surfed on my own over here, sometimes it just has to be done, just has to be -that much better though wink

for those in the know, not hard to tell how flat that right is wink

#249606 - 23/01/2009 17:45 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
stokie Offline
Weather Freak

Well it was certainly on over here today, I got down to victor mid morning and went straight to shark alley and was teased by a 3-4ft set draining on the reef. I then sat and watched a 10 minute flatspell go by before another similar set went through. There was no one out and it was very inconsistent so I gave it a miss, it could really have used an extra foot or so and it would've been worthwhile. There was a reefie between granite island and Wright island (I think thats what its called) which was a long way out but was looking good, a few guys had a boat and were scoring it to themselves.

I then checked waits point and was surprised by the quality, it was in the 6-8ft range and was peeling for a long way. There were three guys coming in when I got there and the wind just picked up and it became a bit blowy and sketchy, so I just missed it. But yeah Waits point can turn on in the bigger swells.

Eventually I decided to take the lid out at Knights and got a good fill of kegs.

#249607 - 23/01/2009 20:19 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
aztech. Offline
Weatherzone Addict

stinkin NW here today, although there was some clean large ones out at a certain island today, might post a pic later if I got any good ones on me cam.
was thinkin of victa today Stokie, loves a NW I think a couple of my mates went down to the NP in cape jervis today, haven't spoken to them yet but I couldn't think that there would have been that much swell there, being a pretty west/SW swell, good to see there are crew still hittin solid knights..

#249608 - 24/01/2009 09:59 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
SAsurfa Offline
Weather Freak

Good to hear that there was plenty of swell around, as I was a bit suprised on the Victor reporters call on 3ft at Middleton when I forecast 4-6ft. Sounds I was around the mark. Get any shots at all, and i've heard a few stories about Waits Point on big swells, but you wouldn't wanna cop one on the head at that size! Please show Aztech wink Love seeing pics from the EP.

The swell had a mixed WSW and SW component so I reckon there still would of been some waves in the NP with one location probably a perfect size.

#249609 - 25/01/2009 11:35 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
aztech. Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I did manage to get 1 shot of the right, only spot on the whole coast that would have been clean that day.
after a 1 km paddle and swarms of seals good luck having a few quiet ones!

#249610 - 25/01/2009 13:03 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
SAsurfa Offline
Weather Freak

Wow, looks remote and heavy and with the seals and paddle i'm sure it stays uncrowded all year round! So many great waves over your way with little or no crowds to surf them. Your a lucky man aztech!

Just on a side note, the wave of the day today on Swellnet was taken by me a few weeks ago, recognise the spot? It was inconsistent that day but with only 1-3ppl in the water i'm not going to complain laugh

#249611 - 25/01/2009 17:54 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
stokie Offline
Weather Freak

Yeah easy one to recognise sa haha, looks like a good day.

There's nothing about that wave which looks quiet aztech!

I went to southport yesterday with the tide, which was pretty solid at around 3ft. Had a nasty encounter with my board though, hit me in the mouth during a wipe out on a bigger one which sent me in bleeding and leaving a soild gash on the inside of my top lip. Blooy sticks :p !

Anyway heres some phone camera pics of friday, apologise for the quality as usual.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x256/st0kiee/23012009604.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x256/st0kiee/23012009606.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x256/st0kiee/23012009603.jpg

#249612 - 27/01/2009 16:41 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
aztech. Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by SAsurfa:
side note, the wave of the day today on Swellnet was taken by me a few weeks ago, recognise the spot?
yep I did see that, I really liked that shot mate, I'm a real fan of lineup shots! this shot I posted in Surf photography Thread is just out the back of it hey.

#249613 - 27/01/2009 18:55 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
SAsurfa Offline
Weather Freak

Aztech, sure is! I've never seen people out there but have heard of guys hitting it up. One very very heavy wave! It looks amazing when it's working, like a mini cyclops! I'm sure it will become more and more surfed as crowds reach saturation, but hopefullt that day never comes.

And Stokie, nice pics, that first one looks decent! A fair flogging but! And I have yet to see the alley work properly but have heard it was cranking one day last year.

I've still been gettin my daily surf's in at North Styne (Manly) and there are defenitely some fun banks around.

#249614 - 27/01/2009 20:27 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
stokie Offline
Weather Freak

I scored a sweet session at Knights today with some solo time in the water before only a few more crew came out. Was super clean 3-4ft with a couple of bigger bombs. The sea breeze stayed off all day, was a good way to beat the heat.

Yeah it was times like friday that i wish i had a proper cam, waits point was looking really good and on the sets the alley was definitely working.

I bet your enjoying the ability to surf everyday SA over in Sydney, must be a bit of a change from the usual big commuting to surf down back here in Adelaide. How far do you live from manly?

#249615 - 27/01/2009 21:42 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
SAsurfa Offline
Weather Freak

Sounds sick stokie, with that hot weather I wouldn't wanna be anywhere else. And the report today for Victor again called it under saying there was a small swell in the water. I forecast 3-4ft along the Middleton stretch early with similar wave heights at knights, easing during the day and that seems about spot on. I dunno where the victor reporter is checking the surf from :p

And yeah it's great getting a surf in every day! Instead of a 1.5hr trip to the coast it's a 5-10min cruise! I do miss the lack of crowds and extra punch that waits and parsons pack, as I haven't experienced a solid swell over here yet, but it's been great fun with Sunday the best at a clean inconsistent 3ft with the odd bomb set!

#249616 - 01/02/2009 22:27 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
aztech. Offline
Weatherzone Addict

ok boys and girls keep an eye on the end of this week as this deep bombing low of 957hPa is forecast to reek havoc with the southern ocean, take a look at the synoptic for Saturday, the Buoyweather forecast for the SW of KI is saying 25ft(max), the big question is, will there be any decent winds with this system? I know its a long way off but don't you just love it when these wintry lows come past in summer, great stuff :cheers:

#249617 - 02/02/2009 08:15 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
stokie Offline
Weather Freak

great stuff indeed, just a couple of hours of light winds is all I need to enjoy it. Let's hope it plays out.

#249618 - 02/02/2009 08:59 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
aztech. Offline
Weatherzone Addict

ok just to take a look at what i said of this Bombing low, this is a drop in pressure of 24hPa over 24hrs but as I mentioned above, as a bombing low coming in on Saturday, IT will only be a drop of 10hPa over 24hrs so technically not a bombing low, just wanted to re-iterate that, for some reason I thought it was a 10hPa drop :doh: :doh:

will be plenty of swell around nonetheless

#249619 - 02/02/2009 20:26 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
SAsurfa Offline
Weather Freak

Yes Aztech, not quite a bombing low but an intense system none the less. Unfortunately winds look pretty dicey with this one with moderate onshore winds from the SW to SSW accompanying the swell. But winds will quickly shift around to the SE west of Adelaide on Monday, therefore there could be some fun waves as the swell eases during the day.

I surfed Whaley Sunday morning and it was a fun 2-3ft with the odd bigger set rolling through during the morning but by about midday the swell had dropped to an inco 1-2ft. Bit crowded though but on the upside there were a few white pointers out and about if ya get my drift wink

#249620 - 02/02/2009 21:47 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
SAsurfa Offline
Weather Freak

OK here's some shots of Whaley taken after I got when it was down to 1-2ft..

My Fav..

#249621 - 02/02/2009 22:03 Re: NSW&VIC&SA Surf Conditions and surf spots
stokie Offline
Weather Freak

Sweet looks fun, I surfed whaley when I was a kid seemed pretty big back then (probably 3ft :p ).

I've just started the 9-5 after 4 years of being able to ditch uni to surf whenever I want, so I won't be able to go anywhere special on Monday. If there's enough westerly in the swell I'll go for a dawn session on the mid though!

Page 141 of 154 < 1 2 ... 139 140 141 142 143 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
11 registered (red earth, princessweather, rainthisway, Pacman, dan, gleno71, Kino, Ronfishes, bd bucketingdown, Sepo, 1 invisible), 321 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
cyclops, dylan_dawg, dylzi, Farmer, GrizzlyBear, Sailfish, tonzo
Forum Stats
29495 Members
32 Forums
23816 Topics
1480367 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image