NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#249935 - 16/10/2006 10:20 A petition on Ocean swell reporting
Tryhardsurfinpete Offline

Loc: Fremantle Western Australia
Hello everyone, Most people in this forum are beachgoers and boatowners, and responsible and safe people at that!!!

Now I have a thing about the weather forecasting of ocean swell and would like people's feedback on this topic as I reckon there have been too many lives lost and people injured.

In relation to ocean swell and the news broadcast on television. I feel there is not enough information for the general public to know what a heavy swell is. We may help save a few lives, for when there is a swell over 3 mtrs there should be a general warning for beachgoeres and boatowners, because lets face it when we want to use our boats we always watch the tv news for the weather. Too often now there has been heavy swell on the WA coast and people getting taken by king waves or just simply underestimate the power of a wave. Lately I can't help but notice that when I come home from a surfin day to watch the news I hear of someone's boat capsizing or being taken by rips or king waves off rocks and then these people are declared missing, on top of that search parties have a terrible time searching in tough ocean conditions.

A swell size of over three metres is quite a powerful chunk of water and I beleive the local water forecasting could do with a shake up. Especially when there is a potentially lethal day when its hot and there are big waves.

Please give your thoughts on this.

Thanks
Peter D.

#249936 - 16/10/2006 10:51 Re: A petition on Ocean swell reporting
TOM1111 Offline

Loc: medowie near williamtown-octob...
they accutually do have a warnings but i dont think they they put them out unless there xpecting 5mtr waves in the surf zone.

if joe bloe dosent know the weather conditions his boat can handle and what are safe/non safe surf conditions then mayby he shouldnt be out there in the first place.

i think education would be the best bet when it comes to ocean safety

#249937 - 17/10/2006 10:18 Re: A petition on Ocean swell reporting

Thanks for your thoughts on this. It is not only boat owners its also the fisho's on rocks. Because wave heights can be twice the reported size.

And I spose people should be aware of what their boats can and can't handle

#249938 - 17/10/2006 12:16 Re: A petition on Ocean swell reporting
TOM1111 Offline

yes mayby the reporters should say wave hights could be 2 times the forcast size as they do on the BOM.

#249939 - 17/10/2006 15:07 Re: A petition on Ocean swell reporting

hey cheers for ya thoughts, it is just that i have seen a trend lately of big swells and people go missin every time i come home from a surf of 3m plus swells.

and unfortunately a freind of mine lost a friend over the weekend just gone off wa coast and we had fairly sizeable swell. I sent a similar message to channel ten perth and the BOM( had no response) in a hope to have a change in the reporting of swell. I was hoping for more of a response from this forum to sort of have a petition to put forth to the relevant parties of weather reporting, but still early days.

#249940 - 17/10/2006 19:00 Re: A petition on Ocean swell reporting
percy_04 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Unley, SA, Fine weather bubble...
i personally think its all to do with education. people need to be educated on swells. i believe that maybe WA needs to take the next step of introducing a boat licence. atm any old guy can hop in a boat and drive it. i reckon these people need to be educated. maybe putting in ocean saftey into it. (eg swell size). Most people i know that do water activities just know their limits. there are also alot of peopel that dont. i mean a 3m swell is a 3m swell! haha! thats huge!

#249941 - 18/10/2006 04:41 Re: A petition on Ocean swell reporting
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany.W.A.
No Percy u got that wrong, any motorised boat of any size is required to be licensed in WA, and in last 12 months anyone in control of a motorised boat requires a tested license.

i don't think licensing makes a lot of difference as nothing about "study/learning/testing" for any license is as important as boating experience. if u really wanted licensing to work, IMO the person getting the license should have to do a year as a "p" plater like cars. its out on the water that u really learn about the sea.
i've been fishing rocks & boats for almost 60 years, been washed off rocks when i was 21yo - really silly "bullet proof" attitude that changed in 3 minutes! been in boats 30 years, 1 lucky escape - again wrong place, wrong time too smaller boat ....in all situations it was my own stupidity!!!
forcast of 3 m swell is fine - (i wouldn't go out then these days)its the unexpected set of 3 X 5 m waves in that 3 m swell that get people in trouble!
young chap i know went missing at sea at Esperance last year, too shorter anchor rope in a big sea, a couple of extra biggies came thru and under the bow went! all the testing in the world won't stop that situation, cos that was a bad day & they should'nt have been out there!
Not the forcasters fault, forcast r what they are named a "forcast" of probabilities not a weather blue print for the day from the Man upstairs....
good fishing is comoing home to enjoy what u caught or the day u had, not bragging about a near miss - if i had one now i'd never mention it or Mrs FE would ground me for a year or so wink wink keep to the footy tipping mate - lot safer, boy i've got tipping withdrawal problems ATM.
:wave: FE

#249942 - 18/10/2006 09:06 Re: A petition on Ocean swell reporting
TOM1111 Offline

but a 3m swell isnt that big when your out in the open ocean in deap water.
now trying to cross a bar in a 3mtr swell can be dangerous

#249943 - 18/10/2006 10:47 Re: A petition on Ocean swell reporting

Hmmmm, well I guess people should have a greater respect for the big blue and awareness of whats happening around them.

Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions I will now accept the forecasters responsibility of probability not a "weather blue print of the Man upstairs" ((as quoted by Mr FE)).

And the news do a good job reporting on these people who find themselves in situatiuons, that should be enough to make people aware of what the ocean is capable of.

Cheers
Peter :cheers:

#249944 - 18/10/2006 13:56 Re: A petition on Ocean swell reporting
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi All - hey THsurfinpete come down & get some big south coast waves - & don't worry about the "big blue", its the "big whites" that are more frightening!!!
true enough 3m in deep water is not as dangerous as 3m in shallows, but 3 m can be "sea sick" territory for many, and we use a 4.5m boat and 3 m is not good! i love to have one of those 10m specials, but then i'd probably go out further, i think there is always a little voice in your head telling u that u are about over the limit, its a matter of hearing that voice & playing smart not stupid!
good surfing - i used to waveski and put the nose of that into the sand a couple of times when i got swell & water depth a bit wrong...just would love to be able to do it now, so enjoy while your young & fit!

#249945 - 18/10/2006 14:33 Re: A petition on Ocean swell reporting

HA HA cheers FE I have spent the last three years in Ongerup for a while and surfed some bombs down bremer bay way beautiful coastline there. There are some locations down there we should keep a secret to respect the locals...young and fit... just quit smokin thanks for the encouragement!!!

:wave: laugh

#249946 - 18/10/2006 17:16 Re: A petition on Ocean swell reporting
percy_04 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Unley, SA, Fine weather bubble...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fine Elsewhere:
No Percy u got that wrong, any motorised boat of any size is required to be licensed in WA, and in last 12 months anyone in control of a motorised boat requires a tested license.

i don't think licensing makes a lot of difference as nothing about "study/learning/testing" for any license is as important as boating experience. if u really wanted licensing to work, IMO the person getting the license should have to do a year as a "p" plater like cars. its out on the water that u really learn about the sea.
i've been fishing rocks & boats for almost 60 years, been washed off rocks when i was 21yo - really silly "bullet proof" attitude that changed in 3 minutes! been in boats 30 years, 1 lucky escape - again wrong place, wrong time too smaller boat ....in all situations it was my own stupidity!!!
forcast of 3 m swell is fine - (i wouldn't go out then these days)its the unexpected set of 3 X 5 m waves in that 3 m swell that get people in trouble!
young chap i know went missing at sea at Esperance last year, too shorter anchor rope in a big sea, a couple of extra biggies came thru and under the bow went! all the testing in the world won't stop that situation, cos that was a bad day & they should'nt have been out there!
Not the forcasters fault, forcast r what they are named a "forcast" of probabilities not a weather blue print for the day from the Man upstairs....
good fishing is comoing home to enjoy what u caught or the day u had, not bragging about a near miss - if i had one now i'd never mention it or Mrs FE would ground me for a year or so wink wink keep to the footy tipping mate - lot safer, boy i've got tipping withdrawal problems ATM.
ah really? wow, i wasnt aware of that actually. I was always under the impression that you didnt need to have a licence to drive a boat in WA. ah well, lol.. now i know. I actually really need to learn and want to learn about this stuff as i want my coxwain licence later on.

haha i was wrong to the max! u think id know more, seeing as i live by the beach. but boats arent really my forte. i know my limits when it comes to waves and swimming - even though i do like to push them. haha! i can point out a 6' swell and current direction and winds and my catch.

:cheers:

#249947 - 18/10/2006 20:14 Re: A petition on Ocean swell reporting
Dead Parrots Society Offline

Loc: Bassendean W.A.
So .. a little test .. if there is a 1.5m sea .. and a 2m swell .. whats the biggest wave you could expect to see every 6 hours ?

ITN

(answer tomorrow)

#249948 - 19/10/2006 14:12 Re: A petition on Ocean swell reporting
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

3.25m wink FE

#249949 - 20/10/2006 23:57 Re: A petition on Ocean swell reporting
Dead Parrots Society Offline

Loc: Bassendean W.A.
1.5m seas + 2.0m swell => a 5.0m wave every six hours.

ITN

#249950 - 22/10/2006 09:24 Re: A petition on Ocean swell reporting
TOM1111 Offline

it would also depend on the swell period to size the waves would be and how powerfull they are smile
2m 6 second swell=wind slop and little to to no swell refraction

2m 14+seconds now where talking surf

#249951 - 25/10/2006 05:51 Re: A petition on Ocean swell reporting
Ripley2006 Offline

Loc: adelaide
I've surfed most breaks around this fair continent & can't complain...mind you I'd love a wave when I can get my board,wetsuit back again.

Who's Online
1 registered (Foehn Correspondent), 53 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
droughtboy, stormchaser88
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image