NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#250005 - 06/02/2002 10:52 Re: No bluebottles for the next few days
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ozthunder.....I've been reading your site for years! Legend. Alot of surfers use it. Top stuff.

#250006 - 14/11/2002 23:12 Re: No bluebottles for the next few days
pingtang Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Well its nearly summer,so I'll bring up the subject of blue-bottles again.

Lately we have had pretty strong N/NE winds.I have noticed that some blue bottles have started to come in.Usually they hit our beaches earlier than this,but the sea surface temperatures have been un-usually cold lately.Things are just starting to warm up in the water,and its probrably 18C now.They probrably drift around out to sea where the sea-surface temperature is warmer.Then a NE wind just blows them in.Hopefully we dont get tons of the things this year.

#250007 - 13/12/2002 23:30 Re: No bluebottles for the next few days
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

Loc: Reynella, S.A.
is the bluebottle the same as the man-o-war?

TH laugh

#250008 - 14/12/2002 14:41 Re: No bluebottles for the next few days
pingtang Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunda Hunta:
is the bluebottle the same as the man-o-war?

TH laugh
Yeah I think so.

I had to dodge a few blue-bottles in the surf the other day.I came with half a metre of getting stung.The NE winds are sending the blue-bottles in now.You can see heaps of the on the high tide mark of the beach.

#250009 - 15/12/2002 17:26 Re: No bluebottles for the next few days
Stephen-wx Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Oak Flats, Illawarra, NSW
Hi Pingtang and Ozthunder, What is your opinion on the the farm also known by the tourists as Killalea beach,

My dad used to take us to there before there was even a proper road and you could park right down next to the spot known as the alley. It used to be my fave break with sometimes nice hollow barrels and some nice rides, most memorable was body boarding the alley in about 8 foot plus waves with 14 - 16 foot faces on the waves, was hollow as and very fast,

Beauty part is cos its a beach break you don't get hammered into any reef and also with the way the waves were they were clearing the rocks by a mile.

my home AWS site: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=INSWOAKF3

#250010 - 15/12/2002 18:39 Re: No bluebottles for the next few days
pingtang Offline

Hello Lightning chaser,

I have been to the farm about 3 times.I usually stick to the reefs though,as they're heavier.

I have found that The Farm is one of the better beaches around.Quite often there are some great banks.Most beaches tend to close-out once it gets to 1-2 metres,but the Farm often seems to hold larger waves to 2metres or more.
You can also find a clean wave there in N/NE winds.I personally quite like this spot.Usually I just forget about beaches,and stick to reefs/bommies,but I will go to The Farm again sometime soon.

Maybe Ozthunder will visit this thread sometime in the near future,and give you his opinion of The Farm.From what I can remember,I think he liked Windang Island the best.

:cheers:

#250011 - 15/12/2002 18:52 Re: No bluebottles for the next few days
Stephen-wx Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yeah I noticed he mentioned windang island. I have been there a few times its not bad but what deterred me was i almost got bitten by a wobbegong and then a shark of some sort charged at me out there. I would never go back there after that. I love my beach breaks and have surfed reefs on occasion, Shallows and the Boneyard are my two favourite reefies.

The farm will always be my fave break and yes it holds very well in large swell specially on a nor'easterly.

I have been out redsands a couple of times it was fun but not my cup of tea and as for cowries forget that its way too touristy.

my home AWS site: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=INSWOAKF3

#250012 - 15/12/2002 19:06 Re: No bluebottles for the next few days
pingtang Offline

Yeah ive surfed at the Boneyard on numerous occasions,and ive surfed the Shallows once.

The surf I had at the Shallows wasnt that good though.It was only 1-1.5metres out there.I read on Ozthunders site,that the Shallows gets better as it gets bigger.
Ive had a few great surfs at the Boneyard.I went there during last years 5metre July Swell.It was triple overhead +,offshore,and there was no-one out.I have had other great surfs there during large NE swells.I have learnt that the Boneyard prefers E or NE swells.You can surf there on large S swells,but most of the waves break to the side of the reef into deeper water.

Redsands is a great wave,but some people just dont like it.I dont blame them too.
It can get super dodgy especially on NE swells.
It breaks into the very shallow reef.Mistakes can cost you.
I was out there in July 01',when it was 4metres.You could have driven a truck into the barrels I swear.

Other waves I like include,Boat Harbour(gerringong),Aussie Pipe,Taboo(sussex inlet),Guillotines and no toes(bawley Point),Golf Corse Reef(Ulladulla),Callala(Jervis Bay,when its big),and Lobster Rock(Currarong).

Sorry I can stop talking about the surf. laugh

#250013 - 15/12/2002 19:30 Re: No bluebottles for the next few days
Stephen-wx Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Aussie pipe and callala bring back memories lol some fun was had down there.

yeah shallows is great in large swells except when waves break out further and you have to go through white water. I have been out there in 8 to 10 foot and you could have driven buses through the barrels as it was blowing offshore after a huge low pressure system and it was so hollow and awesome, big faces like 20 feet high on some of the waves, a few rogue waves broke further out the back and i almost drowned when i screwed up a duck dive on one of them but luckily i had a bikini clad chicky (one of my ex girlfriends) help me out.

shallows is fun though if you get wiped out the reef has plenty of huge urchins in it and i can tell you this cos i have snorkelled around it on a flat day with some friends and its not as deep as you think.

#250014 - 15/12/2002 22:27 Re: No bluebottles for the next few days
pingtang Offline

I havent seen the Shallows over 2 metres.
It always appears to be pretty full out there with little or no barrels.Like I said,ive only seen it small here.I know it would be a different story,when its huge.

I dont really head up to Shellharbour that often.I will have to check it on a large NE swell with S/SW winds.Then I may see the Shallows in action.

I normually go down south to Bawley Point.
Its such a good wave,that I dont mind travelling 100kms at 3am to surf it.It can hold huge waves to 6 metres.

#250015 - 16/12/2002 19:38 Re: No bluebottles for the next few days
Overshoot Offline

Loc: Wahroonga, North Shore, Sydney
Avoca was perfect today. I was in just boardies and it was very pleasant!!! laugh I could've stayed in all day easily! laugh

#250016 - 16/12/2002 22:28 Re: No bluebottles for the next few days
pingtang Offline

Hello Overshoot,

It was certaintly a nice day to be at the beach.There was a little bit of swell about too.
The water temp is warming up nicely now,so now I think boardies are the way to go.Not at 4:30AM in the morning though.

#250017 - 17/12/2002 19:08 Re: No bluebottles for the next few days
Overshoot Offline

Well it was flat as a tac on the central coast yesterday! I'll be down at Mollymook in the new year, down your way! smile Even then, down there, I still use a springer. You really notice that 2-3 degrees!

#250018 - 17/12/2002 22:36 Re: No bluebottles for the next few days
pingtang Offline

Mollymook is a very nice area.I hope you enjoy it when you come down this way.The water is about 18C,but it has been warming up.A springy would be a good idea though. smile

#250019 - 18/12/2002 01:08 Re: No bluebottles for the next few days
Overshoot Offline

Thanks PT, Mollymook has been an annual migration for my family for the last 5 years or so. We like it because it's quite underdeveloped. smile Actually, the whole extended family comes down pretty much and we occupy an entire stairwell in a block of units. It is always eagerly anticipated by the kids (like myself), as it's often the only times we see our cousins from Melbourne, Parkes and Sydney (of course, I'm the Sydney contingent). smile

#250020 - 24/12/2002 10:44 Re: No bluebottles for the next few days
pingtang Offline

Hello overshoot,

I went surfing yesterday up in Gerringong,and the water was freezing.I had a 3mm thick steamer on,and I was still getting cold.I am estimating that the water was 14-15C.I went for another surf near Nowra,and the water was abit warmer at 17C.(still cold though for this time of year).
It could be a different story at Mollymook though.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 45 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Billies ride, Jayson Black, NeedMoreLightning, slipperyfish, supercellwish1
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image