NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#264726 - 09/01/2005 20:34 Re: Weatherzone Service Issues
David Simpson. Offline
Weatherzone Administrator/Moderator

Loc: Tasmania
Thanks Craig, I couldn't log on either so that explains it. The site has been very slow all weekend but back to normal now, these things happen from time to time, nothing odd about it really, just the joys of technology! wink

#264727 - 09/01/2005 20:48 Re: Weatherzone Service Issues
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Greymouth - West Coast, NZ..
lunix, thanks for the heads up.. we are "piggybacking" on comindico at present and the quality of service with them is abyssmal to say the least.. lets hope it can only get better.

Thanks for rebooting the server also Craig wink
Alls good so far.

#264728 - 09/01/2005 21:52 Re: Weatherzone Service Issues
Andrew Miskelly Offline
Weatherzone Webmaster

Loc: Mittagong, NSW
LOL. I can assure you, the server's fine.

As stated before, the evidence suggests that the problems occur on the connectivity side of things. We are changing providers for the website bandwidth in the very near future so stand by...

In the meantime we can only apologise for the slow patches and say thanks for bearing with us.

#264729 - 10/01/2005 03:25 Re: Weatherzone Service Issues
anewts Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Forestville, NSW
Everything seemed ok today during the time i was on, though it has tended to become slow every so often...the small price you pay for such a great site.

Andrew

#264730 - 10/01/2005 09:15 Re: Weatherzone Service Issues
Blizzard Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Blue Mountains
Yeah, I agree with anewts, its the price you pay for a popular spot. I don't mind if folk disagree but I sometimes think modern life has removed us from the 'patience' gene. I include myself in this.

It'll work out in the end, usually does.

#264731 - 10/01/2005 09:35 Re: Weatherzone Service Issues
temp trace Offline

Loc: Newcastle, NSW
Have to agree Bliz. Thinking back to the early dialup days and the waiting... frown now if something doesn't load instantly we start pulling our hair out. laugh

With all this increase in speed you'd reckon we'd have a ton more time on our hands, don't know about everyone else but to me I seem to have less time every day to fit things into.

#264732 - 10/01/2005 12:34 Re: Weatherzone Service Issues
Laurier Williams Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Millthorpe, 970m, Central W NS...
There are two other aspects to this that it may help to consider, though I hope WZ's change in ISP may help. It's pretty obvious from this and former threads that, while many people experience difficulties at the same times, there are others blissfully unaware of the problem at those same times. I think both may be related to the fact that WZ is pretty java intensive. I'm a neanderthal when it comes to Java programming, but I understand that it does require additional resources from your own computer, and the nature of its implementation on your computer is critical.

1. The computer I usually access WZ on is pretty busy, with a task bar like a Christmas tree and usually a few DOS programs chewing up resources as well. Plus firewall, virus scanner, etc. If I click on a radar animation with all this going on, it *always* takes a minute or two to appear. If I kill a few programs (especially the DOS ones), hey presto I get instant responses.

2. If I use Opera instead of IE, I get far faster response. Maybe its implementation of Java is better, maybe it just isn't as cluttered as IE which I've used on this machine for several years.

In situations where I know my computer is straining under the load, WZ takes time to load when Java comes into play but at the same time I can load Bureau pages at lightning speed, because, I figure, it takes processing resources to cope with the Java, but rendering an html page takes minimal processing power. The most common problem I get is a whole page loading except for the main image (e.g. I call up a satpic and the surrounds load but the satpic times out). The page surrounds appear to be pure html, but how is the image called up?

If we're to eliminate the user's computer as a source of the problem, background tasks and the actual browser in use need to be considered before blaming either the WZ service or the intervening network.

#264733 - 10/01/2005 13:06 Re: Weatherzone Service Issues
Andrew Miskelly Offline
Weatherzone Webmaster

Loc: Mittagong, NSW
Quote:
Originally posted by Laurier Williams:
WZ is pretty java intensive.
The only place on Weatherzone where client-side Java runs is in the radar animator. We'll probably do away with the applet-based animator within the next few months and replace it with Javascript/DHTML now that support for those technologies is more standard.

Quote:
The most common problem I get is a whole page loading except for the main image (e.g. I call up a satpic and the surrounds load but the satpic times out). The page surrounds appear to be pure html, but how is the image called up?
This would be due to the fact that our image server is located at another URL, thus you don't get the benefit of HTTP keepalives etc. It's been on my list for a while now to mirror the image server under Weatherzone so I might do that in the next few days.

#264734 - 16/01/2005 07:16 Re: Weatherzone Service Issues
Didjman Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Broadford Victoria - The storm...
Hi all,
I am not sure if this is the right place, but is there a genral bank account for direct deposit of WS Silver subscriptions??
Regards Peter

#264735 - 16/01/2005 07:23 Re: Weatherzone Service Issues
Mark Hardy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: North Sydney, NSW
Peter, please call Carmen Wong on 02 9965 9200 on Monday and she will help you with this.

#264736 - 16/01/2005 13:06 Re: Weatherzone Service Issues
Didjman Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Broadford Victoria - The storm...
Thx Mark, wilco.Is there an 1800 number at all??
Cheers Peter

#264737 - 16/01/2005 13:53 Re: Weatherzone Service Issues
Mark Hardy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: North Sydney, NSW
Sorry, we don't have a 1800 or 1300 number.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Who's Online
0 registered (), 50 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Evil Kitty, Jake, ka0tik_pengwin, Nullamanna WX, shaunandwendy, stormygirl
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image