Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#264887 - 18/07/2005 18:33 Re: Downloading weather radar while chasing
Chaser80 Offline

Loc: Floreat, Perth, W.A.
Hey I've got solution to your chasing dramas!

Buy a LD-250 lightning detector from www.boltek.com. or the weather shop at weatherzone.(cheaper from Boltek) AU$1100
Displays realtime lightning strikes on your Laptop/computer. hook it up to a cheap GPS($200) and your laptop, and turn on the LD-250's heading indicator when running mobile. The blue triangle in the center of the screen rotates as your vehicle turns to show the LD-250 is using your GPS or marine compass to correct for changes in your vehicle's direction. No on going phone expenses. Tho the outlay is a bit. IF YOU WORK OUTSIDE, CLAIM IT AS A TAX DEDUCTION! wink

Go to the above website for details.
also use the AVN plotter at www.inflowimages.com/WeatherData/avn2.asp
Great website so you can pinpoint the exect location where storms will occur up to 7 days in advance, their strength, which direction they will move, and how fast.
But to be able to understand it and what to look for go to www.downunderchase.com/storminfo/stormguide/

read this carefully! it takes a while to understand it, but its great when you can!!!

any problems or more info, feel free to email me
Tom

#264888 - 18/07/2005 18:44 Re: Downloading weather radar while chasing
Andy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mid-North Coast, NSW
While the Boltek is a great unit, it does suffer from the disadvantage of being a single antenna unit. This means that the accuracy can leave a lot to be desired. I have a Boltek PCI unit here and it took a lot of time and fiddling to get decent results. The portable unit (LD-250) is a lot less configurable.

While your suggested setup will certainly give you a reasonable idea of where significant storm activity is heading, you stand the chance of ending up a long way from where you should be. Of course, the upside is that the data from the Boltek is virtually real time.

Personally I use a HP tablet PC with a Maxon 1X card. I get the best of both worlds as I can watch the radars as well as my own Boltek lightning tracker from my own server.

#264889 - 18/07/2005 23:18 Re: Downloading weather radar while chasing
Chaser80 Offline

But Andy, from what I can see on the Boltek site, the storm tracker and the LD-250 are identical. just that the LD-250 is portable.

#264890 - 19/07/2005 08:16 Re: Downloading weather radar while chasing
Jello Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Wollongong
Apparently accuracy is the difference. The Yahoo news group on Boltek is a good source of info which someone will explain the difference but you have sign up.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lightning-detectors/

#264891 - 19/07/2005 10:02 Re: Downloading weather radar while chasing
Andy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mid-North Coast, NSW
Basically, the StormTracker PCI provides data in a very raw format which is then be processed by the software in the PC. This permits adjustment of all sorts of things ... the intelligence of the system is in the software and is readily accessible and changeable.

The LD-250 provides data via a serial port. This data is not the raw data ... it has already been interpreted by the firmware in the unit. Because the intelligence is in firmware it is not readily accessible and it is therefore not possible to adjust things or to "tweak" the accuracy.

Essentially the LD-250 performs its own internal fixed analysis on the raw lightning data whereas the StormTracker PCI uses external software to perform the analysis ... and the most popular external programs do a vastly better job than the internal analysis of the LD-250..

#264892 - 19/07/2005 13:43 Re: Downloading weather radar while chasing
Chaser80 Offline

Cool thanx very much Andy! smile

#264893 - 15/10/2005 18:28 Re: Downloading weather radar while chasing
Julian Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Brisbane
I recently purchased bigpond evdo/cdma wireless modem, and I have tested connectivity on the move, and out in fringe reception areas from brisbane to stanthorpe. I have to say I was a bit dissapointed at the lack of cdma reception I got. But since installing new software upgrade for the modem & purchasing a new 5db magnetic mount antenna, in fringe areas around where I live Ive had drastic improvements in reception, and ultimately connect speeds.

If anybody is interested in purchasing an antenna for cdma wireless cards, id highly recommend going to this site .. reasonably priced and they ship in 24hours.

Maxon Technology

#264894 - 16/10/2005 09:17 Re: Downloading weather radar while chasing
Scud Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mcleans Ridges
What brand and where did you get your mobile antenna from? I looked on that website however couldnt find any antenna's only wireless cards etc.

Im looking at going on to evdo in the future as have been using cdma 1x for the last 3 years and wouldnt mind something even faster. I have a current set up of cdma 1x mobile phone plugged into a 5db Mobileone external antenna with the phone connected to my laptop. 1x coverage has been brilliant so far in both Southern QLD and throughout NSW whilst on the move.

Recently I managed to bend my antenna so I am starting to look around for a new one. My previous one was connected to a Z bracket on the bonnet of the car. Zeus, have you found any problems with your antenna being magnet mounted ? Does it fall off at high speeds ?

#264895 - 16/10/2005 09:42 Re: Downloading weather radar while chasing
Julian Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Brisbane
James H: You have to do a product search on that site for CDMA antennas, and it will lead you to a .pdf file "antennas" .. If you cant find it still pm me and i'll email you the antenna catalogue.

The brand of antenna is a COMTELCO (US).

I have driven up @ down the gateway arterial with the antenna mounted on the roof @ 100km/hr, and it doesnt budge.

#1403535 - 21/01/2017 17:39 Re: Downloading weather radar while chasing [Re: David Smith]
StormCapture Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Uleybury
Gee how much technology has changed in 12 years, nowadays you can get pocket wifi's with good data use and connect that to your laptop which is what I do, as well as be investing in a power inverter or a battery powered generator for my laptop and other devices as you never know when you might go into town without power and can help out especially if peoples phones are flat and need to contact loved ones and all of that,

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
147 registered (RichieM, Chris Stumer, CraigA74, PVW, eauetsoleil, explorer, one drop, Squid, Chookie, TSVWeatherNerd, Snapper22lb, Raindammit, SinVokA, Dribbles, Brett T, Cyclone_Tim_, Red Watch, R.Dangerfield, Willraja, Unmanned, mad mick, Teunvm, rainthisway, Squeako_88, Foehn Correspondent, show_me_weather, Taylsy, Weary, jessie, bundybear, TrentG, Jettnewfoundland, Rhys., stormwary, sangas, Buzz Buzz, Davey440, gwilli, pkgjmg, seaweed, mick87, Hagrid, Perfect Storm, Crystal Valley, Miss T, Moldy, Tropical Desert, sunworshipper, Lowndsey, BeenAround, JoanTheSpark, justme, Neata, Ticktock, Ningergirl, stormy_bec, Anon5, StevefromSurfers, Petros, Manly, ayrfam, logansi, StormCapture, bradcq, Thunderstruck, breezy04, Rain Whisperer, Mike Hauber, S.Novaehollandia, The_Spook, MangroveJack70, Memories of Ice, KBO, adxdopefish, Purnong, Rainrunner, bbowen, Keethy, nocturnal1, Sidney, Rainheart, Drought declared, Weather Nerd, rainbeam, Macktown, Lunar, StormQueen, Kezza34, Rhino, slipperyfish, Rainbow Spirit, Tailwind, Kat_, ol mate, mysteriousbrad, Sharniinayr, Les Norton, synopig, Warmfront, jarad.higgins, exodus, Ahab, boganation, Swigman, Cycles, camtsv, LeanneB, Mad Elf #1.5, coralview, Nick Sykes, gwebb, Sandstorm, marakai, No-Logic, Pama, Popeye, Notmumoftheyear, Happyrocker, Smallfry, chamellieon, WANDJINA G'vale, Tan, Aussea, dormant, KarrathaGirl, Snowy Hibbo, Fairdinkum, Grazina Ajana, BrightonBreeze, RC, woodhouse, NQ_Dee, rstewart84, SnowedIn, Blinky_Bill, terawatt, FoggyNights, redbucket, Cargill, mcjody, Procella, 6 invisible), 1121 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Jamar, jimi747, Zephyr
Forum Stats
29193 Members
32 Forums
23562 Topics
1445149 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image