NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#266075 - 02/08/2004 00:03 The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Laurier Williams Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Millthorpe, 970m, Central W NS...
Is it just me, or do other users have this happen?

I click AUS infrared satellite in My Links, then click animated infrared, then enlarge. After closing the large animation window, I click animated water vapour and get...AUS infrared satellite. Clicking it a second time, or clicking refresh brings up the correct page.

I click any model and up comes the 0 hours MSLP. At some stage during the next few clicks to different hours or charts, I will get a "simple" menu (i.e. without the amination option, and with only +24, +48 etc). If I am in GASP, LAPS or MESOLAPS, I will often find I get the right chart, but of the GFS variety. Every time this happens, the address window in IE, Netscape 4.76 or Opera (it happens in all three) gives the address I clicked for, but the page on the screen is not what I wanted. Clicking refresh brings up the correct screen with the same address.

With the exception of the AUS IR animation to AUS WV animation transition, I haven't been able to establish any routine pattern to this, which is why I haven't posted before as Andrew or Craig can't do much with a generalised moan. But I would dearly love to track it down and get it fixed. At times like this when the models are interesting, and I am examining just about every available frame, it becomes a tad tiresome.

#266076 - 02/08/2004 00:13 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Weathernut Offline

Loc: Darwin, Northern Territory
Have you tryed firefox(FREE) . wink

I haven`t had that problem yet. Tho my internet drops out at times(IE: 404 Page cannot be displayed) but thats my internet connection and not the sites i go to. wink

Im trying to understand what your saying(im reading in a hurry as i have to get up early!)

If your saying that your getting old images and images that should no be on that page it could be yur internet temp files...

In IE go to Tools then Internet Options then you should see Temorary Internet Files with the Delete Cookies.. Delete Files.. Settings.. buttons. Click on Settings make sure Check newer versions of stored pages is on Every visit to the page...

Im most likely to be wrong but give it ago! smile

#266077 - 02/08/2004 08:56 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Michael Bath Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: McLeans Ridges, Northern River...
I've also noticed the 'simple' menu coming up for the models (IE6 and Netscape4.7), but also haven't found a pattern in when it appears. Loading up another chart seems to bring back the full menu.

MB

#266078 - 02/08/2004 09:08 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Laurier Williams Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Weathernut

They're not old images. As Michael said, they're the "simple" version of model presentations, with only +24, +48... instead of +06, +12 etc, and often I get GFS when I'm clicking from, say, a +00 LAPS chart to a +24 LAPS chart. The next time it happens, I'll post the trail of URLs here.

#266079 - 02/08/2004 09:17 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Weathernut Offline

Loc: Darwin, Northern Territory
hhhmm I have done what you have done and no problem.. confused

If it happen again could you get a screen shot?

:cheers:

#266080 - 02/08/2004 09:32 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Tez Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: West Kempsey
No problems here. Works as it should. I am using Mozilla 1.6 so it might be a IE prob. Something to do with all the security patches. I find Mozilla much quicker and smoother, especially the animations.

#266081 - 02/08/2004 09:41 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Andrew Miskelly Offline
Weatherzone Webmaster

Loc: Mittagong, NSW
Laurier,

What browser do you use?

What's happening is that the webserver at our end is losing track of your session. Usually this will happen if you leave the browser idle for ~20 mins before making another request (time out), but I'm not sure what's going on here.

So, when you make the first request our webserver can't find your session and doesn't know what level of access you are entitled to so it assumes you are a non-registered user. Your session is reinitialised during the creation of the page and on the next request things happen as normal until the session is lost again.

A session ID is [supposed to be] maintained at your end by a non-persistent session cookie with an ID in it that the webserver stores against your session so that on every request it knows who you are.

I may have to look at changing the way the session is initialised/retrieved but in the meantime (I'm on leave... :rolleyes: ) it would be worth seeing what the scenario is at your end.

#266082 - 02/08/2004 09:55 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tweed Coast
Quote:
Originally posted by Laurier Williams:
If I am in GASP, LAPS or MESOLAPS, I will often find I get the right chart, but of the GFS variety
This happens almost every day to me Laurier (have been meaning to make a mention of it too shocked ). I'm running the latest version of Firefox. It's no big drama to me as a simple refresh will clear it, but it is unusual. It's quite random, but it's mainly when I select a LAPS or GASP chart - a GFS chart will load up instead, and with only 24 hours 'options' available in the header (as opposed to 12 hourly increments).

#266083 - 02/08/2004 10:09 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
I run IE6 here and go through all charts every day basically and have never noticed this problem. Sounds more like something in Lauriers settings or the server losing track of the session as Andrew says.

#266084 - 02/08/2004 10:20 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
aussielunix Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Windellama, NSW @ 630m asl
Maybee something on the clients end is deleting/refusing the session cookie. Spyware cleaners are bad for this. Or a windoze firewall.(norton security or such)
I agree with weathernut. FIREFOX rawks. There is virtually no browser hijacks out there that work ( this means much less popups and spyware )

#266085 - 02/08/2004 11:12 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Laurier Williams Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Andrew, I use IE6 with SP1, Netscape 4.76 and Opera 7.23. All are set to accept cookies. I haven't watched closely enough to see whether the problem occurs on all three. Everything goes through a ZoneAlarm firewall.

I don't know a great deal about session tracking, but I do know that when the wrong screen comes up, the URL in the address window is carrying the right URL; for example when I ask for a GASP panel and get a GFS panel instead, the URL has 'gasp' somewhere in its tracking string. Consequently, when I refresh I get the correct screen.

I shouldn't really have raised this before getting something more definite to go on. I'll watch and keep records to track sequences that go wrong, and report back to this thread.

#266086 - 02/08/2004 11:40 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Laurier Williams Offline
Weatherzone Addict

OK, something a bit more definite to go on.

I started IE, opened WZ main page, then clicked My Link for Australian IR:
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/currentweather/satellites.jsp?state=AUS
then the small animation:
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/currentweather/satellites.jsp?state=AUS&number=0&img=anim
then the large animation. I closed the large animation window and clicked
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/currentweather/satellites.jsp?state=AUS&number=0&img=wvanim

This is what I got:

Notice that the address is correct, but the image is the first IR screen.

I then went to GASP:
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/charts/twcGrads.jsp?model=gasp&chart=mslp
then selected the MSLP animation, then closed that. I then clicked on the +60 hour link:
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/charts/twcGrads.jsp?model=gasp&chart=mslp&hour=60
and got this:

(Apologies for the large images, but it seems the quickest way to get this sorted.)
Notice that, again, the address is right, but I have got GFS instead, and only the simple menu.

I then followed the same sequence in Netscape 4.76 and Opera 7.23; in both cases everything worked as it should.

The elements in common are IE and the diversion to an animation. What I find curious is that the address is right but the screen is wrong! I know that the keen IT people don't like IE (I find it tiresome at times, too), but according to my site stats, 60.5% of my visitors are running IE6 and 32.5% IE5, so if over 90% of the punters are using IE, anything you do has to work in IE laugh

Any thoughts, Andrew?

#266087 - 02/08/2004 12:12 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Tez Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: West Kempsey
Laurier, just run down your link in order but still worked as normal on my system. You might have to experiment by opening up a couple of links at a time each two or three in their own pages (shift click in IE Ctrl click in Mozilla) and see what happens.

#266088 - 02/08/2004 16:08 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Ben Quinn (BSCH) Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Caboolture, ~45km north of Bri...
I get the 'simple menu' every now and then too, but more often than that IE doesn't load the style sheets for some pages on this site - the model forecast pages most of the time. I think it's just another IE oddity you have to put up with (or if you search hard enough you might find a bug fix for it somewhere on the net) ... there's a long list of them!

#266089 - 02/08/2004 20:11 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Andrew Miskelly Offline
Weatherzone Webmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurier Williams:
The elements in common are IE and the diversion to an animation.
I would have said that the elements in common are IE and that a new window is opened.

Quote:
I know that the keen IT people don't like IE...but anything you do has to work in IE.
Indeed. I'm more of a programmer than an IT person wink - I use IE for the reason that it's most common and only test on other browsers but I don't experience the problem, obviously.

Have you had a quick look through IE's help to see how its suggestions compare with your settings? The only thing I found that specifically related to session cookies was the following.

Quote:
To customize your privacy settings for all Web sites:

In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

Click the Privacy tab, and then click Advanced.

If you want Internet Explorer to always allow session cookies (cookies that will be deleted from your computer when you close Internet Explorer) to be saved on your computer, click Always allow session cookies.
I'm not sure how useful that is as if you had session cookies disabled then you wouldn't get anywhere at all.

#266090 - 02/08/2004 20:17 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Andrew Miskelly Offline
Weatherzone Webmaster

It may be an IE bug. Googling it revealed this...

BUG: Session ID Lost When New Window Opened

I'm not positive that it pertains to this problem but it certainly appears that way. Perhaps try getting the latest possible version of the browser.

#266091 - 02/08/2004 21:26 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Blizzard Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Blue Mountains
Yes, I get this problem sometimes when opening say, GFS MSLP summary. I end up getting another model etc. I experience it using IE6 (latest updates and service packs etc) with Win XP (latest service pack/updates etc) but don't seem to experience it in IE6 on my old Win Me machine that I am on now...

Can't say I'm really bothered by it though but will try and be more conscious of it.

#266092 - 02/08/2004 22:34 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
thermalben Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tweed Coast
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Miskelly:
It may be an IE bug. Googling it revealed this...
I can confirm that it's also happening in Firefox aswell. Not sure whether it only happens when I open a link in another tab (similar to opening another window), but it's not exclusively an IE issue.

#266093 - 02/08/2004 22:43 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Rainlover Offline

Laurier,

I also experience the same problem

When I go to click on M-Laps or Gasp, it comes up with GFS........when I click it the second time it comes up with the intended link

Rainlover

#266094 - 03/08/2004 10:35 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Michael Bath Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: McLeans Ridges, Northern River...
It does appear to be a session time out thing from what I can tell. I didn't open any new windows. I was on the LAPS +24 hour MSL/thickness chart and left the browser like that for a while, when I clicked on 36 hours I got this in the location bar, but GFS +0 came up, and the 'simple' menu.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/charts/twcGrads.jsp?model=laps&chart=mslp&hour=36

regards, Michael

#266095 - 03/08/2004 22:03 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Blizzard Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Blue Mountains
I just clicked on 'AUS GFS MSLP SUMMARY' and instead got the 'GFS +00 MSLP ANAL' single image instead, with the 24 hour progressive links above it. I am using my old 'puter with Win Me and IE 6. Next click on the GFS summary, took me to the right spot.

#266096 - 05/08/2004 12:09 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Laurier Williams Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Andrew, thanks for the reference to the MS KB article. The relevant bit, for me, was:

CAUSE
Internet Explorer triggers this behavior when you start your browser session from a file protocol URL. For example, this problem may occur if your home page is set to an HTML page on your hard disk (such as C:\Myhome.htm) or if you double-click an HTML page that is located on your local network drive to start a browser session.
STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a bug in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. (These include all IE products from 5.5 with SP1 onwards)
RESOLUTION
Set your home page to an HTTP protocol URL, or be sure that you do not start your browser session with a file protocol URL.

I did have my homepage set to an html file on my hard disk, so I uploaded it to my website and set the IE homepage to it there. Voila! Problem appears to have been resolved, though it'll probably take a little longer and a greater variety of circumstances to be absolutely sure.

Many thanks for the link, and I'd be interested to know if anyone else reporting this problem also fixes it this way.

#266097 - 16/08/2004 09:36 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Daryl Offline

Loc: Mt Nelson , Hobart, Tasmania
I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with this problem. These days I have to click on the link I want a few times to get the model I requested. So the problem seems to be getting worse. Refresh sometimes brings up the correct page and at other times it makes no difference.
My home page has always been set to http://www.weatherzone.com.au/

Laurier, are you still getting this problem?

#266098 - 16/08/2004 11:22 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Laurier Williams Offline
Weatherzone Addict

No Daryl, I haven't had a single problem since I set my homepage to an external source. To be a bit more precise, I use my old Netscape bookmarks file as homepage. This is simply a list of page titles with html links. It previously resided on my C drive and I linked to it there. I've uploaded it to my site and set its http address there as homepage in IE6, Netscape 4.76 and Opera 7.54 (the three browsers I use -- each has its strengths) and all of them bring up the correct link each click. I didn't make any other changes that I'm aware of, so your problem with having http://www.weatherzone.com.au is a bit strange. I'll try setting that as my homepage and let you know what happens.

#266099 - 16/08/2004 11:28 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Laurier Williams Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just set IE's homepage to http://www.weatherzone.com.au/ and then tried all the clicks that used to produce the problem, including diverting to animations, without a hitch.

#266100 - 16/08/2004 13:05 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Daryl Offline

Loc: Mt Nelson , Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks Laurier smile
I think I'll transfer my usage of Weatherzone to the XP machine and see if that helps. I have had problems with the 98 machine and IE6 ever since I installed one of their security updates. Perhaps the problem on this machine is linked to that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
sharjay
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image