Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#266095 - 03/08/2004 22:03 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Blizzard Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Blue Mountains
I just clicked on 'AUS GFS MSLP SUMMARY' and instead got the 'GFS +00 MSLP ANAL' single image instead, with the 24 hour progressive links above it. I am using my old 'puter with Win Me and IE 6. Next click on the GFS summary, took me to the right spot.

#266096 - 05/08/2004 12:09 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Laurier Williams Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Millthorpe, 970m, Central W NS...
Andrew, thanks for the reference to the MS KB article. The relevant bit, for me, was:

CAUSE
Internet Explorer triggers this behavior when you start your browser session from a file protocol URL. For example, this problem may occur if your home page is set to an HTML page on your hard disk (such as C:\Myhome.htm) or if you double-click an HTML page that is located on your local network drive to start a browser session.
STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a bug in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. (These include all IE products from 5.5 with SP1 onwards)
RESOLUTION
Set your home page to an HTTP protocol URL, or be sure that you do not start your browser session with a file protocol URL.

I did have my homepage set to an html file on my hard disk, so I uploaded it to my website and set the IE homepage to it there. Voila! Problem appears to have been resolved, though it'll probably take a little longer and a greater variety of circumstances to be absolutely sure.

Many thanks for the link, and I'd be interested to know if anyone else reporting this problem also fixes it this way.

#266097 - 16/08/2004 09:36 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Daryl Offline

Loc: Mt Nelson , Hobart, Tasmania
I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with this problem. These days I have to click on the link I want a few times to get the model I requested. So the problem seems to be getting worse. Refresh sometimes brings up the correct page and at other times it makes no difference.
My home page has always been set to http://www.weatherzone.com.au/

Laurier, are you still getting this problem?

#266098 - 16/08/2004 11:22 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Laurier Williams Offline
Weatherzone Addict

No Daryl, I haven't had a single problem since I set my homepage to an external source. To be a bit more precise, I use my old Netscape bookmarks file as homepage. This is simply a list of page titles with html links. It previously resided on my C drive and I linked to it there. I've uploaded it to my site and set its http address there as homepage in IE6, Netscape 4.76 and Opera 7.54 (the three browsers I use -- each has its strengths) and all of them bring up the correct link each click. I didn't make any other changes that I'm aware of, so your problem with having http://www.weatherzone.com.au is a bit strange. I'll try setting that as my homepage and let you know what happens.

#266099 - 16/08/2004 11:28 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Laurier Williams Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just set IE's homepage to http://www.weatherzone.com.au/ and then tried all the clicks that used to produce the problem, including diverting to animations, without a hitch.

#266100 - 16/08/2004 13:05 Re: The Weatherzone Click and Russian roulette
Daryl Offline

Loc: Mt Nelson , Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks Laurier smile
I think I'll transfer my usage of Weatherzone to the XP machine and see if that helps. I have had problems with the 98 machine and IE6 ever since I installed one of their security updates. Perhaps the problem on this machine is linked to that.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
4 registered (Lee@Hazo, logansi, 2 invisible), 54 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Aza1987, Dominic, NoRelationToNed, potato, Radar05
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24191 Topics
1528973 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image