NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#266141 - 03/11/2005 12:52 Why does the lightning tracker take so long to update?
Christopher M.J.T Offline

Loc: Geelong
Actually question why is the time on it always out from EST?

And why does it take so long to update?

#266142 - 03/12/2005 00:09 Re: Why does the lightning tracker take so long to update?
ShaneEEEE Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mackay, QLD
The lightning tracker is out by 20 minutes due to the processes that needs to be undertaken to generate the image I believe.

#266143 - 05/12/2005 22:35 Re: Why does the lightning tracker take so long to update?
Wingnut Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: ACT, Brindabellas, Cooma, Temo...
I am most grateful for the lightning tracker facility! Last week I was gliding with friends at Temora, N of Wagga, W of Cootamundra, a great site we have flown from for years. Last Friday morning the aviation forecasts on BOM (TAF and ARFOR) gave us possible thunderstorms - isolated TS, with some sites having a 30 or 40% probability. Looking at the sky after a storm passed Temora and moved onto Wagga, conditions cleared and improved, with some folks considering flying - but my sixth sense was ringing alarm bells. Anyway I ended up going onto Weatherzone lightning tracker on dialup, and that was more than enough to convince us to rearrange aircraft stowages in hangars and fill up spare space with sailplanes. We did it with two hours to spare, and then watched the oncoming blaze of strikes come down through Hillston and Lake Cargelligo. A few powered folks lobbed in also - one just in time to be tied down just before the storm front hit with huge wind gusts. All our aircraft were safe, but if we had not monitored WZ LT it might have been too late to get all gliders safely stowed. There was much damage in the area, many trees uprooted, and a grain hopper crumpled at the local railway silos. Wind gusts were over 50kts. LT may not be real time but it suits most aviators.
laugh

#266144 - 06/12/2005 00:40 Re: Why does the lightning tracker take so long to update?
Blue Skies Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Perth (Mundaring) WA
You should be thankful that you are in the Melbourne area and can get a reasonable picture of the strikes - over here in the west is it virtually useless and we rarely see much on the detector. The only way we can tell what might be happening is to look at the radar.

#266145 - 06/12/2005 08:14 Re: Why does the lightning tracker take so long to update?
Mark Hardy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: North Sydney, NSW
The lightning tracker image updates every 15 minutes. Also the data is delayed 15 minutes due to our contractual agreement with our supplier.

#266146 - 07/12/2005 11:51 Re: Why does the lightning tracker take so long to update?
Tim S Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Skies:
You should be thankful that you are in the Melbourne area and can get a reasonable picture of the strikes - over here in the west is it virtually useless and we rarely see much on the detector. The only way we can tell what might be happening is to look at the radar.
Virtually useless is being kind Blue Skies, it is absolutley useless since no detectors cover the WA region and hence anything that shows up is purely noise. So why do they have a WA page of the lightning strikes???

So the best detector for us WAliens is a flash or a bang smile

#266147 - 07/12/2005 12:21 Re: Why does the lightning tracker take so long to update?
Ray Mullens Offline
Mod Squad, This is my second home!!

Loc: Lismore,Goonellabah. Norther R...
I use this one some times.
Itís only updated every 15min but the graph down the bottom give you an idea of what time the lightning hit.
Go to the lightning monitor on the left hand side & pick the top Aus map for the 15min updates.

http://www.gpats.com.au/

:cheers:
Ray

#266148 - 07/12/2005 12:50 Re: Why does the lightning tracker take so long to update?
Wingnut Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: ACT, Brindabellas, Cooma, Temo...
Hey that's a great resource! Good explanation of the technology too. laugh Am I right in assuming the Australian LPATS receive sensor sites are in the six state capitals? Or if elsewhere, what locations?

#266149 - 07/12/2005 14:22 Re: Why does the lightning tracker take so long to update?
Ray Mullens Offline
Mod Squad, This is my second home!!

Loc: Lismore,Goonellabah. Norther R...
As far as I know there placed all over the place to form the Aus net work.

:cheers:
Ray

Who's Online
2 registered (David Simpson., 1 invisible), 50 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Caldoche, David Obeid, desblair, Morrisjub, rmj007, rummy21, StormQueen
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image