Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#444253 - 13/01/2003 12:09 Re: Farming - tell me all
Rainlover Offline

Thanks MCG for your help :wave:

I have sandy soil so will make sure I water lightly but frequently.

:wave:

Rainlover laugh

#444254 - 16/01/2003 23:04 Re: Farming - tell me all
Rainlover Offline

Hi all

Well today even with the net on the birds ripped up half the snow peas that had germinated. mad

What do Faba beans actually look like? Are they pink and white?

Where could I purchase the seed for them?

Rainlover laugh

#444255 - 17/01/2003 00:15 Re: Farming - tell me all
W W Offline

Loc: Cobar 31.50S, 145.83E, 243m ...
Sorry to hear about the snow peas RL
We are having problems with the birds & our grapes
But I guess the birds are hungry & feeling the drought as well ,poor things frown

Heather

#444256 - 17/01/2003 10:24 Re: Farming - tell me all
mcg Offline

Loc: Hunter Valley
Yes i'm sorry to hear about the snow peas too.
I also think that the wildlife would have to be doing it tough. We have some very pooor looking roos around here and the birds will devour anything they can. The way it is looking they might be all we have left to eat soon. If we don't get decent rain we won't have any cattle or sheep to sell or eat. frown

#444257 - 17/01/2003 17:03 Re: Farming - tell me all
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany.W.A.
Hi Mcg & Heather, sorry to hear that conditions are just not changing....price of feed is climbing over here too, i expect pellets to be higher cost next month. I have lot of dry pasture still shut up, & have decided not to start grain suppliment feeding after seeing animals still in prime condition. Thankfully we have'nt had any heavy rain to spoit dry feed yet, & from the charts i think the next 7 days wont be much different over here. i notice theres a bit of moist air moving accross Oz next week, u never know u might just get a shower or rainy thunderstorm!
Our thoughts r with u all, hang in...
:wave: FE

#444258 - 20/02/2003 18:50 Re: Farming - tell me all
Rainlover Offline

Hi all

I was just wondering, for all the grain farmers, what do you do during Harvest and planting for next years crop? Do you just have to kill the weeds? What jobs do you have to do in summer? How long before you plant do you fertilise?

Rainlover laugh

#444259 - 06/03/2003 20:06 Re: Farming - tell me all
Rainlover Offline

Hi all

Seeing that all you farmers are the Kings and Queens of Fodder, I was wondering, when during the next 3 months should I plant my green manure crop. It will contain wheat, barley, oats, rye corn, lupins, lucerne, dun peas. (Should provide a good mix of pulses and cereals. smile )

I limed the soil a few weeks ago, and, I was wondering should I add some blood & bone to the soil, seeing this is an organic product, plus it is full of P and N. smile

:cheers:

Rainlover laugh

#444260 - 15/03/2003 08:46 Re: Farming - tell me all
W W Offline

Loc: Cobar 31.50S, 145.83E, 243m ...
Hello all
Just a quick hello & hope you are all still hanging in there while waiting for some rain,or have you all had good rain

We are still waiting,nothing since the 21st Feb,what little bit of green pick that came up has now well & truly gone.After being so dry for so long the 27mm we got didn't do much at all

All the best to everyone
Heather :cheers:

#444261 - 17/03/2003 09:43 Re: Farming - tell me all
mcg Offline

Great to hear from you Heather, but sad that you are still so desperate for rain.
we have had some rain but not enough to replace any storage water.
Our land subdivision is finally approved and are proving to be very popular. we are hoping that this will enable us to feed our cattle for a little longer.
Take care and hope to hear from you again soon

#444262 - 23/03/2003 10:09 Re: Farming - tell me all
DNO Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Ellesmere, Qld
Having just found this thread, I would like to congratulate you all.Firstly Temptrace & Rainlover for their questions and their wish to learn more about rural life and practices. I noticed that sometimes they were a bit embarassed to ask the questions, but there were not many asked that I didn't learn anything from too.
Secondly, congratulation to all the farmers/graziers who are so willing to supply the answers and information. It has certainly broadened my knowledge of the the rural sector in other parts of Australia. We have been having a tough trot up here for the last couple of years, and looks like this year will be hard too, but I wouldn't swap with some of you for quids.
I noticed a few pages back there was a bit of debate about the difference between a tank and a dam. Out here, we call a dam a wall across a gulley. It has an open face and the wall backs up the gulley and the water bywashes around the end of the wall when the dam is full.
A tank is an earth tank behind this wall. The gully is excavated out to make the walls of the tank, so you have a big hole, with high walls, after the actual 'dam' wall. Concrete or poly fluming goes through the dam wall and this is how the tank fills. At the end of the fluming inside the tank is a trap door that lets water in, but stops it running back out when the gulley recedes. If the gulley runs high enough for long enough, the tank fills to the flood level and the water is trapped in there,so you end up with several feet more water than an open faced dam.Of course, if the gulley doesn't run high enough to reach the fluming, you get nothing in the tank.
Anyway, just briefly I manage 43000 acres of mitchell/flinders grass downs country for a medium sized family operation.Cattle only. carrying capability- 0 to 3000 steers.

I also lease 12000 acres downs myself for my own cattle. Little bit of grass now, but will probably run out by June despite being 1/3 stocked for last 24 months.
If anyone wants to know more about things up this way, I'll be happy to respond.

Keep up the good work.
Ed

#444263 - 27/03/2003 09:56 Re: Farming - tell me all
mountain man Offline

Loc: kunama southern N.S.W 975mtrs
i was hoping that someone would be able to tell me what the best of sheep is to grow for household kilers thanks

#444264 - 27/03/2003 15:04 Re: Farming - tell me all
mcg Offline

I think Dorper Sheep are great but they are very hard to find (I don't mean they get lost i mean there aren't many breeders around)
You don't have to shear them and they mature early and grow quite large.

#444265 - 27/03/2003 15:12 Re: Farming - tell me all
mountain man Offline

Loc: kunama southern N.S.W 975mtrs
are they a similar variety to the wiltshire that sheds its fleece every year i looked at those but as you say not to many around and quite expensive im after good fatners they i wont be keeping long enough to shear .last time i bought some killers i got merinos cause they were cheap and it really turned me off

#444266 - 27/03/2003 19:06 Re: Farming - tell me all
mcg Offline

Yes they are similar to the Wiltshire.
Crossbred Suffolks or Poll Dorsets are very good. Merino sheep have a certain 'taste' to them. Hard to describe but they taste like 'wool'. We have Poll Dorsets and they are lovely to eat we fed them on (someone else's ) lucerne paddock.
They did trials quite a few years ago on feeding fat lams on pasture that had a portion of herbs such as rosmary in with the pasture. They said the meat tasted as if it had herbs in it. A novel idea...pre herbed Lamb. laugh

#444267 - 19/12/2003 12:57 Re: Farming - tell me all
Dazza_XL Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bushland Beach
Generally as a rule, you get a dirt doctor (agronomist) out and do random soil tests to find out what the soil is lacking nutrient wise.

#444268 - 13/06/2005 08:37 Re: Farming - tell me all
Dilbert Offline

Loc: Arnold NthCentralVic
It's a geologist that I need Darran.....dirt got blown away before I landed......but we are working on it......a previous owner had 3000 free range chooks here...good bushfire protection but an environmental disaster.

#444269 - 13/06/2005 09:23 Re: Farming - tell me all
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Wagga District ...Where Crows ...
Dilbert having been to a free range poultry farm several times to deliver grain I noticed at this property at least that wire weed was a big problem ...I know it is a great nitrogen robber. This plant is a summer active grower, so wherever you might be if you have this plant try to get rid of it...not a problem if you are not adverse to chemicals. If the poultry eat out most of the grasses the summer weeds will take off !
There are lots of soil testing companies around these days so I would begin here. Some have hydraulic equipment fitted to the vehicle that will core down to deeper parent soil.
It seems you will have to establish pasture to outcompete the weeds.
Happy trails ! laugh

#444270 - 15/06/2005 07:19 Re: Farming - tell me all
Dilbert Offline

Goody we are on a clay hill above the Bulabul Creek http://www.napswq.gov.au/publications/annual-reports/02-03/nc.html ....my place is a feeder to this aquifier so my responsibility is planting trees, ironbark and yellowgum. The community here is well aware of keeping the salt down and are so aware that they have even offered to agist my killers if I'll tree the high ground as I'm backing onto the junction of the bulabul and kangadaar creeks.
And weeds...tell me about it...hogweed/poormans lucerne....it's a bastard....one round and clear the points....too old for that sh#t wink

#444271 - 15/06/2005 09:20 Re: Farming - tell me all
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Wagga District ...Where Crows ...
Oh God ! I've been there done that with this hogweed or (wireweed) as we call it ...wet summers look out Yikes !
I think if I were ever caught again I would disc several times just going down a bit deeper each time to cut it up....but I don't intend to ever get caught again now do I ? :rolleyes: good stuff that Glyphosate !

My, that is some action plan Dilbert ...I don't know... the sacrifices we make to recover our world !

I have set about re-vegetating an 8ha site here to native species, 2yrs down the track & looking good. Must confess have watered an awful lot to keep them alive...17,000 lts to go around once. My creek seldom has water so hope yours do & they allow you to draw from there for the trees.

Good Luck with it & :cheers:

#444272 - 16/06/2005 05:53 Re: Farming - tell me all
Dilbert Offline

Goody, I had a go a few years back at tube stocks from locally collected seed and killed the lot using local river water, just too salty. This time it's rip and broadcast, and thin 'em later. I am getting lazy.
8 trees / hectare is the target for the whole area of restoration, and the more trees I put on my hard hills the less trees will need planting on what little arable land this area has.
Good dam water supply which luckily I have never seen dry (but nearly) while the creeks only run every two years on average.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Who's Online
4 registered (Jimi, Dr Philosophy, pagey, 1 invisible), 264 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Ganesh, Lizardman
Forum Stats
29444 Members
32 Forums
23761 Topics
1472340 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image