Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#444276 - 06/12/2008 18:36 Getting rid of SNAKES?
ant Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
I had a nasty encounter with a Brown today. Right outside my house, I'd been past the spot several times taking ladybugs from the clothesline to the chilli plants on the deck. Went to water the pumpkin in the compost container and it came out AT me. I'm phobic about snakes at the best of time, and this spot had had my snake antennae twitching for a few weeks, and it was a snaky day.

But, I don't want Browns in particular in the part of the yard that I traverse the most. I have just put a box of rat pellets in the compost bin (wiht a shovel! At arm's length)... do they eat rat bait pellets?

The horrible thing after coming at me slid into the garden under my deck, for all I know it's still there, or under the house (where all my gardening and farm work stuff is). I hate browns because they don't go when they see you. They stay there, and only reveal themselves when you're too close, whereupon they bite you or make a run for it. Nasty things. What gets rid of them?

#444277 - 06/12/2008 18:46 Re: Getting rid of SNAKES?
Jeepie Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tamborine
I am about to trial those devices you stick in the ground and it vibrates causing the snakes to vacate the area. i've had a big taipan already this year (last year we only had two small ones). He seems to have disappeared and we have relocated 3 carpets away from our birds and there is a giant carpet that I did not want to take on, which is still lingering.

So if anyone knows of these devices please let me know.

#444278 - 06/12/2008 18:50 Re: Getting rid of SNAKES?
cyclonecece Offline

Loc: Brandon.. QLD..EX Karratha
A nice shot gun Ant,i cant stand snakes at all.And if he went under the house i bet he is still there.They say snakes move on but i know fron being out at my mums she has had the same snake living in her shed catching mice.One day she opened a metal cupboard up and there he was,must say the shot gun took the snake out and the cupboard.Being 200 klms from town she cant afford to be bitten.She has actually put rat sack in milk and she has found a dead snake not far from it,but of course if you have little kids /dog or cats thats no good.

#444279 - 06/12/2008 21:39 Re: Getting rid of SNAKES?
ant Offline

Do they go for milk then? The dogs visit on weekends but in the interests of getting rid of the snake, they could stay away while the milk was out.

As for moving on, ha. Over the years, I'd see a brown in the garden (the gardens all hug the house), or near the rock wall near my car. I bet it was the same one. This one was thinner than that one, so maybe the horrible thing has been breeding.

When I first saw the older (bigger)brown, I borrowed the family .22 (there's a shotty, too), but didn't see it again for quite a while.

Baiting something the thing would go for would work. So, do they go for milk?

#444280 - 06/12/2008 22:26 Re: Getting rid of SNAKES?
cyclonecece Offline

Loc: Brandon.. QLD..EX Karratha
Well my mum has used it and i rang her tonight and she said she actually seen one snake slurping it on a very hot night,she didnt wait to see if it died she blew that one too.Like i said she is very anti snakes so she would rather blast them

#444281 - 06/12/2008 22:54 Re: Getting rid of SNAKES?
ant Offline

So they like milk.... bewdy. browns are bad news. They're aggressive, and their venom is so bad that even if you get anti-venene, you can still die. I'm 30 kms out, but that's too far where browns are concerned. Next door's cow got killed by a brown. The cow didn't attack it, it just didn't see it and the snake bit it.

#444282 - 07/12/2008 06:40 Re: Getting rid of SNAKES?
Cascade Offline

Loc: Jindera, near Albury/Wodonga.
Ant,invest in the cheap black nylon fruit tree netting must be the black. lay it around where you think it might be and i Guarantee you will catch him. They cant see the netting,slither into it and strangle themselves.given up on how many i have caught this way.just throw it on the ground loosly.Good luck.

#444283 - 07/12/2008 11:11 Re: Getting rid of SNAKES?
ant Offline

Thanks Cascade, I will check that out (we might even have some, mother has almost 1000 fruit trees!). I'm turning over the milk idea too, but am a bit worried about the local lizards. The netting though would be OK as the lizards in that area are tiny (but very feirce).

#444284 - 07/12/2008 12:10 Re: Getting rid of SNAKES?
Shayne Offline

Loc: Cedar Grove SEQ
Ant..i don't know if your licenced or not for that .22...but get some "rat shot"..they are mini shot gun cartridges for rim-fires, work quite nicely with a 6-9 inch pattern at 5m and useful for removing all sorts of unwanted critters..

Pigeons at short range in the shed..rats under the chook sheds and snakes hiding in all sorts of odd places..its reasonably quiet and it wont penetrate walls or richocette like larger shot from a "real" shotgun..

that netting idea sounds like a good one..i may pass that hint to my folks, they are always finding various nasty bugger brown and red bellied snakes around their little place at munruben!

#444285 - 07/12/2008 15:58 Re: Getting rid of SNAKES?
adon Online   content

Loc: Not tellin!
Yeah mesh does work but bit cruel to 'em though. Also when they first come out for the year, we see lots getting their head's stuck in beer cans. Must be going for a party! The best thing to do though is remove the things they are after. Rodents mostly. So clean up stuff rodents eat and try to get rid of the rodents themselves and you will rarely see one. Chooks are snake magnets as they have nice eggs and mice love the grain wasted feeding them.

#444286 - 07/12/2008 20:10 Re: Getting rid of SNAKES?
Jeepie Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tamborine
My mum always used a long handled shovel. I think SE QLD will have a big year for snakes. I have seen quite a number of nasties around this year. Normally I attend quite a few snakes bites a year and I think there will be a jump in numbers. An interesting point though, out of the hundred odd snake bites I have attended in the past 13 years, only two patients were envenomated.

#444287 - 07/12/2008 21:00 Re: Getting rid of SNAKES?
ant Offline

Yep, I'm laying mouse bait around, including in the compost bin I was trying to water when the thing came out at me. I'll nail some rat bags up too, but I haven't heard or seen mouses in months. Lots of lizards though. And my snake antennae had been twiching the past few months and were going ballistic yesterday. I have very good antennae, and I constantly watch the ground, looking for snakes. So I'm amazed I didn't see that one until it moved. proves they are very well adapted to the landscape here.

Going to nuke all the weeds around that spot too. And tonight I got a 15-foot bit of bird netting, and have laid that around the compost bin. If it comes back, it's history. I hate snakes. If I catch nothing, I'll move the netting down to the fernery (where it shot into), and then under the house. It's not welcome.

I'm glad to have a solution that doesn't involve dangerous poison, there's too many other things that'd get teh poison. I have some amusing lizards and don't want to hurt them.

#444288 - 08/12/2008 06:30 Re: Getting rid of SNAKES?
Cattle-ist Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Liston , Wylie Creek
You`ve gotta look at WHY there are snakes there too . Are there lots of mice and rats ? Keeping sources of feed for chooks and small birds in drums , small bird cages clean and keeping a tidy yard so that there are no places for the snakes and rodents to hide . Haysheds are fantastic places for rats and mice , so baiting the shed would be a great idea too .

If your neighbour has an untidy yard or he/she keeps birds , then I also agree about the bird netting , put it in places where the snakes are most likely to enter , and encourage your neighbour to tidy up .

#444289 - 08/12/2008 07:52 Re: Getting rid of SNAKES?
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mundoolun, SE QLD, 129m ASL
I agree with your post Adon. I know of the mesh one as that is what a lot of farmers use around here, but it's pretty cruel. As you said, keep the vermin to a minimum and you won't have an issue. We used to have a carpet snake that would hang from the rail above the dog's food bowl, we watched him one night and he just sat there until a mouse or rat came along and then all of a sudden, BANG! It was gone laugh He was quite content to watch the dog eat, having said that our dog wasn't a little 'rat dog' either smile

Ant, if you keep the grass down in the areas that you frequent then that can give you extra warning but also tends to deter the snakes. On the farm the snakes love the long grass for the Quail. I would suggest though, if you put rat pellets in the compost bin then the rats might be attracted to the pellet and the snakes to the rats? At least though if all of your rats die out then the snakes will move on through lack of food being available.

Very good point about envenomation rates Jeepie, a lot of snake bites are 'dry bites' but it always pays to pressure bandage and get yourself seen to ASAP in case you haven't been so lucky.

#444290 - 08/12/2008 09:02 Re: Getting rid of SNAKES?
ant Offline

I have no chooks, or any other kept animals. I'm not aware of any mice or rats, I can usually hear if something's under the house. I have had browns living in my rock walls over the years and it's a major problem as they don't move when they see you, they are deadly, and I'm out of town.

So whatever means I can use to ensure that I don't have browns living right where I live are useful. I have a lot of different lizards around the house and so want to be careful about them. There's heaps of birds, too. I am on acerage, and move around on it spraying weeds. I've seen browns in teh past (again, they weren't moving) but there's not so much grass around now. The spot where this one came at me has some weeds but nothing major.

The rat bait is in case there are mice coming to eat the compost, but I haven't seen any sign of them. I have a pumpkin growing in the compost which is why I was watering it, and the pines in pots waiting to be planted out.

Nothing in the netting this morning, with any luck it's moved on.

#444291 - 08/12/2008 09:31 Re: Getting rid of SNAKES?
bigwilly Offline
Weatherzone Mod and Photog

Loc: Junee - just north of the 'Bid...
Can I just remind people that it is an offence to kill a snake - so I wouldn't be publishing it on a public forum that you have indeed killed a snake, or you are trying to.

I grew up in the bush around red-bellies, browns and tiger snakes and never did we have a serious problem. The only time we did have a problem was when we also had a problem with rodents, which Adon and Andy have alluded to.

Just keep an eye out, be sensible and if you do see one stay clear and leave it alone. If it has set up home then get a local snake removalist or WIRES volunteer to come and get it.

:cheers: Will
2010 Rainfall: 759.3mm (Annual Avg: 521.5mm)

#444292 - 08/12/2008 10:37 Re: Getting rid of SNAKES?
avalon Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Macedon Vic 870m elev
Yeh Will.I dont think this thread should continue.It is promoting illegal activity.I have Wombats Echidnas and Koalas on my property,they do damage to things.Imagine asking for advice on how to poison them or bang them on the head!!!
Live with it or leave.

#444293 - 08/12/2008 12:40 Re: Getting rid of SNAKES?
adon Online   content

Loc: Not tellin!
Yes it is illegal to kill a snake and that is why I was suggesting that the best approach was to get rid of the things that attract the snakes in the first place. Better to have no snakes in the area than having to get rid of them.

#444294 - 08/12/2008 12:52 Re: Getting rid of SNAKES?
ant Offline

Shrug. Nice in theory. The place I live is just across the valley from the area that, apparently, has the most deadly snakes per square mile in the world (Bungendore escarpment). There are a LOT of snakes on my place, i see their skins and sometimes them. this snake however is right where I live, and I'd like to continue living so it needs to be elsewhere.

my place is a place where all other animals and reptiles can come and be safe. I maintain my land for the benefit of the roos, the echidna, the lizrds, and the birds. This snake however is a dangerous and unwelcome addition.

#444295 - 08/12/2008 16:21 Re: Getting rid of SNAKES?
bigwilly Offline
Weatherzone Mod and Photog

Loc: Junee - just north of the 'Bid...
Quote:
Originally posted by ant:
Shrug. Nice in theory. The place I live is just across the valley from the area that, apparently, has the most deadly snakes per square mile in the world (Bungendore escarpment). There are a LOT of snakes on my place, i see their skins and sometimes them. this snake however is right where I live, and I'd like to continue living so it needs to be elsewhere.

my place is a place where all other animals and reptiles can come and be safe. I maintain my land for the benefit of the roos, the echidna, the lizrds, and the birds. This snake however is a dangerous and unwelcome addition.
It isn't theory, I have lived with them for 23 years (and counting) without drama and only once did we require the services of a snake catcher.

The snake is as native as a kangaroo and for an environemnt to function it must take its place within the ecosystem to perform the roll that it has carved out for itself. Sure if there are too many then one should be allowed to thin the numbers, but if you only have one or two then I'd either leave them be or if you must, get a snake catcher to get them. You don't have kids and only have dogs occasionally so really you only have yourself to look out for.

:cheers: Will
2010 Rainfall: 759.3mm (Annual Avg: 521.5mm)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
6 registered (Kino, adon, Sidney, Nature's Fury, 2 invisible), 257 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
LightningGus, Mikezoom, Ploddy
Forum Stats
29368 Members
32 Forums
23680 Topics
1461903 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image