Page 3 of 67 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#444421 - 12/01/2003 23:02 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Anonymous
Unregistered

This LINK for fact sheet on Leucaena trees. We did a test plant but our soil is low in phosphorus.

#444422 - 12/01/2003 23:09 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Qld DPI also have a Feedlink site for sellers & buyers for stock feed, the link can be found at the bottom right corner of the page Here . We receive emails when fodder is available, has been very helpful.

#444423 - 13/01/2003 14:23 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

Loc: Cobar 31.50S, 145.83E, 243m ...
I pay my GST by BPay & send the form 2 weeks before it is due not super efficient,just don't want to have to pay any more than needs be

Heather

#444424 - 14/01/2003 03:09 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany.W.A.
Hi Heather, i think u are very efficient to do it that way! May i just suggest that u make a record of the date u post off the paperwork (ie perhaps the date u sign the form is the date u always post) Being close to town we dont use BPay, but i'm not going to leave it to the deathknock to lodge like i've done in the past - can think of 1,000's better uses for money than paying penalities on penalties, as i still think we r penalised for being non paid tax collectors! mad GOB (= Grumpy Old "Person of doubtful breeding")
:wave: FE

#444425 - 14/01/2003 11:24 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

Hi FE
Yes I make a note of the time ,date, reciept no wink so there is no way I am getting caught laugh

I have asked our accountant for a discount as I do all the book keeping for him :rolleyes:
He just laughed & said it doesn't work that way frown
Silly me laugh

Heather

#444426 - 14/01/2003 12:21 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Heather & Others, yes i've learnt u can NEVER have too many records. 18 months ago, we got a notice of Penalty plus threat of Legal Action from ASIC (Oz prize corp regulator)for not having lodged an Annual Company Return for previous year. We had, it had been lodged electronically by our accountant, with cheque attached to hard copy mailed to them the same day. I had their cheque presented on our bank statement at a date well before due date. But NO they would'nt have it. We uplifted the cheque, photocopied it, bank statement, & copy of return - still they proceeded. I was furious so decided to let go the whole hog & take me to court. Accountant got all worried & offered to pay the penalty just to shut them up - NO way i said, & wrote a sting letter - they took absolutely no notice, we wasted hours on this. In the finish after 15 months of arguing they admitted their computer had been down for 2 days at the time our lodgement had been made! In the meantime i got so cross, i transfer all finances out of that company & delisted it. Then had 12 months problems with ATO trying to get off their GST list! All ended up by me just lodging nil return month after month - they eventually contacted me and sent pages of forms for deregistration of ABN! I had lost all patience & sent nothing back other than a photocopy of company deregistration document. Did that 2 times & touch wood havent heard from them since - Luckily we are told we live in the smart country - poor people living in dumb countries must have a terrible time! Hence my warning - keep copies of everything to do with Govt Agencies - IMO they r a law unto themselves & u will get nothing back for the wasted time u spend when something goes wrong!!!!

#444427 - 14/01/2003 12:42 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

WOW eek FE,sounds like you have been a round or two,after all we are just the common people who pay these morons their wages!!!!
My father inlaw passed away 3yrs ago for 2 1/2 years I tried to have his name taken off the BAS statements laugh silly me,I even had to send a copy of the death certificate to prove he had passed away,this is the last thing you need to deal with .
Then I had to resubmit all of our BAS records once again
We all had to be given new tax file No,s & then change all the No's at the Banks etc :rolleyes:

Pain in the proverbial BUTT

We don't have anything better to do with our time I guess mad mad mad

Heather

#444428 - 14/01/2003 13:38 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Heather : Nothing more certain than death & taxes - looks like from yr experience that this lot even want BAS returns after we leave....? I recon the Govt had absolutely no idea what they were implementing with BAS. i've spocken to a lot of o/seas people who have small business, & some of their systems r so simple - IMO our lot were rushed into it, they still cant give u a straight answer - ATO will give advice over the phone to a enquiry after u wait up to 1/2 hrs, but try to get any confirmation....Haha. Ring back next day, get a different officer - get a different answer!!!! IMO they r either totally incompetant, or flying by seat of pants, or just dont care.... It looks to me that we've got "the best of the worst systems from around the world." As u might have guessed i'm in the middle of the rotten thing right now - so not best time for me to speak rationally wink wink
Have u had any rain since the road got washed ??? & what will u do for feed from now on r u cutting scrub?? Feel really deeply for u & others - things r getting bad nth east of us where some didnt harvest crop, the sheep have now used a lot crop & stubble up & now thru April will be hard, & here 75 kms away from them we have had best ever season! Its not really fair!
:cheers: FE

#444429 - 15/01/2003 14:03 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

Still letting the sheep & cattle fend for themselves as far as food goes,poor things
We are still giving them salt blocks ,& pumping water for them.
David hasn't decided about the scrub cutting as yet.Trying to hang on to see what March will bring,keeping a close eye on the bank account laugh or lack of
We are hand feeding our Rams & that is all atm,they are the most important
Heather

#444430 - 16/01/2003 11:10 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mcg Offline

Loc: Hunter Valley
So sorry to hear that Heather, just when i thought things were looking better too.
We had to but more grain for the young cattle this week. It has gone up to $395 per ton + GST + delivery. It was $320 + +. It usede to have cotton seed and sorgum added,now it is just Barley and Oats. Wonder what it will be like next year even if it does rain. Such cheery people aren't we? frown

#444431 - 16/01/2003 11:33 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

MCG
How are you going to afford to feed everthing with prices like that eek eek & probably not much income for this year.

Yes we are all getting a bit sad on it but what is there to look forward to atm frown frown
Be a good 2yrs before we all get back to "normal" & then there will probably be another drought.

But I am sure we will all be able to hang in there with support from each other laugh I think it just helps to know you aren't the only one who has problems,even if it is chatting on a computer it just seems to help a bit laugh
Heather :cheers:

Heather smile

#444432 - 18/01/2003 21:50 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi All, Time for some laughs...as some of u know part of our farming is deer, so at Christmas time we get lots of Deer jokes, this was this seasons best by far:-
Santa arrives in Oz with sled & r/deer. CASA says "u can't fly that sled around Oz without proper Airworthy certificate Flight docs" Ok says Santa & fills in Flightplan, fires up sled & r/deer for inspection. Lights flashing on sled, Rudolphs nose is all lit up - all ready to go. "Can't go yet " says CASA man "How do i know u can fly, we have to have a quick test flight to see how u handle it". OK says Santa starts to get in sled, but is very surprised to see CASA man carrying a shotgun! "Whats that for?" asks Santa.
The CASA man replies "Well its like this, i'm not supposed to tell you, but part of this flying test involves how you handle an ENGINE failure!!'
frown :cheers: FE

#444433 - 19/01/2003 18:23 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mcg Offline

Thanks FE
That was refreshing. More jokes.....that's what we need. Fires, Drought lack of income....no we need more jokes to make us laugh and release all those 'endorphens' to make us more positive.
Maybe we should start a joke strand.
sad thing is i am one of those people that say "i really enjoyed that, it was a really good joke" and then can't recall it when i need to repeat it....must ba a girl thing.
I think we should just sell (or give away) all the cows and horses and follow the surf, become beach bums. cool Trouble is the land gets into your blood. Probably pass a stock crate one day and end up following it longingly. Chin up all laugh

#444434 - 21/01/2003 15:43 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mcg Offline

How are you all? Era you experiencing any extreme temps?
We have it at 45 C today. Just what we need isn't it?
Have been inside watching the Tennis today. Agassi...love him. Don't watch a lot of tennis but love to watch him play. Grosjean is no slouch though. Can't imagine playing in this heat though...not as fit as them either. wink

#444435 - 22/01/2003 16:33 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
RiverMurray Offline

Loc: carool
I agree a bit of humour in these times will go a long way. heres one for FE.

The Deer Theory

A herd of deer can only move as fast as the slowest deer. and when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.

The natural selection is good for the herd as a whole because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. (No ebv's here)

In such the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells, excessive intake of alcohol, as we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

In this way, the regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

Thats why we always feel smarter after a few beers. :cheers:

#444436 - 22/01/2003 17:27 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Carool & welcome to WZ, yep i think your theory is excellent idea, i use it for best venison theory. The meanest & roughest make best smallgoods - herd becomes quiet & well behaved very quickly wink wink Can u believe it we just had 41 degrees here (shocking for sth coast weaklings) - thats just a bit above yesterdays forecast for 35 today! We had a fire Monday about 2 kms west of us, in a Govt Reserve with lot of bush. Lucky for us we have had easterlies since, but r waiting to see how strong the westerly will come thru when the cool change comes thru!
Anyone getting any rain anywhere where its needed ? - we r still happy with dry conditions for a while yet.

#444437 - 22/01/2003 20:26 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Peto Offline

Loc: Killarney SE QLD, 757 mts ASL
Just checked out the Brisbane radar and couldn't believe the amount of rain falling to the west of us, a huge area stretching from about Tenterfield to Toowoomba. The rumbles seem to be getting closer-hopefully we might score some decent rain this evening!

There was quite a significant cloudburst at Murray's Bridge (halfway between Warwick and Killarney) yesterday leaving huge amounts of water lying in the cultivation, although large amounts of rain like that in such a short space of time can often do more damage than good. We were lucky enough to get under a storm at The Head the other day: 21mm registered in the gauge at the house there, but at the eastern end of the valley there was next to nothing!

The heat here has been a killer-literally unfortunately; the local poultry farm where I work a few mornings a week recorded 300 dead out of flock of around 20 000. The temperature in the sheds was around 40 degrees and the humidity being around 80% really knocked them around. Usually you can expect maybe 20 to 50 dead in this kind of weather, but this particular batch of birds were deprived of water for some time while being raised, the ill effects of which showing up at the moment.

Those rumbles are getting closer-better sign off before my modem gets zapped!
:cheers:
-Tony

#444438 - 23/01/2003 14:28 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
inclement Offline

Loc: Mildura Vic
carool - (only because you sound like you know what you're talking about) :cheers: I'm trying to discover just where all my dead brain cells are now located. Is my "stuffed head" feeling caused by some sort of overload? :p

#444439 - 24/01/2003 13:54 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
RiverMurray Offline

Loc: carool
Dear inclement, sorry to hear about your "stuffed head". to determine where your dead brain cells have gone, you will have to first determine whether they were the red or white ones. this is a fairly simple procedure.

for the next seven nights record whether you wake up on your left side or on your right side. a little tip, start your sleep on your back.

Remember right is white , red is well u know.

let me know the results and we will see if we can find them.

in the mean time i hope your "stuffed head" improves.

cheers :cheers:

#444440 - 28/01/2003 14:59 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi All, whats happening ?? - bucket loads of rain in the Nth West & Top End, but a whole lot of Oz still very dry! S/Hols just about over, with a big drop in rural families about this year which is very sad for so many, as i remember how much i used to look forward to our annual hols when i was a kid & we lived inland! Few business in town now starting to hurt also - takes a while for "townies" to understand that what effects farmer will sooner or later effect them. I was told last week that a farmer in the eastern wheat belt had harvested 6,000 acres for 40tons of wheat...had no sheep left & could'nt buy any - so sad! We have a huge influx of rats ATM - driving me mad, eating rat baits with little effect, clothing in sheds, ute seat & nesting everywhere in machinery ...wonder if this is a new break of season sign or more a sign of things drying up in the bush & rats moving into civilization (our buildings!). BTW i hear that the dry is now official & has finally reached Sydney itself... so dry that Bottom of Harbour Schemes have resurfaced & HIH is out of liquidation...luckily i don't believe all i hear!
Hope u can hang in there & what happened up north could drift sth next time!!
:cheers: FE

Page 3 of 67 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 66 67 >

Who's Online
47 registered (ozone doug, hanksy, CuNimJim, Ahab, mysteriousbrad, retired weather man, Kangaroo, WeatherNut96, Aussiestormguy, Dipole, Squeako_88, petethemoskeet, Nature's Fury, OverDrive, Phantom, Steve777, slider, Summ3r, BlairRoberts, redbucket, Rainbow Spirit, whatscracken, Clearskies, Colin Maitland, DaveMuzza, Mad Elf #1.5, schmacko67, F5, justme, gberg, DarrylS, Jimi, GringosRain, TWEEDSTORM, snoopydoo, wxra, WANDJINA G'vale, Cycles, Locke, Hurricane force, synopig, paj, Rainrunner, 4 invisible), 512 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Big_Pete, CoastalStorm22, Heatwave21
Forum Stats
29193 Members
32 Forums
23566 Topics
1447041 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image