Page 65 of 67 < 1 2 ... 63 64 65 66 67 >
Topic Options
#1193916 - 14/05/2013 21:10 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: Fine Elsewhere]
SBT Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
My niece and her partner bought a property 2 years ago. But will have to start shooting cattle in the next month to 6 weeks if they don't get some decent rain shortly. Been a bad 12 months for them, multiple bush fires, loss of pasture, land clearing expenses, restocking with overweight cattle from NT from the failed live export fiasco to try and rebuild a herd, wild cattle that have never been mustered, poddy dodgers, rebuilding all the properties fences after 25 years of neglect and now drought conditions on their property outside of Tambo. They just can't catch a break it seems. Cattle in reasonable condition but to sell them at current market prices would only result in a loss that wouldn't even cover transportation costs.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1194892 - 21/05/2013 12:57 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: Fine Elsewhere]
ant Offline

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
It's interesting, isn't it. Down here in our end of NSW, the beef we're getting is expensive, and of variable quality... varying from poor to mediocre. The stuff Costco sells is better, but not much. A local place that sells local grass-fed beef (in Bungendore) isn't any better, clearly older beasts.

The price of beef went up a few years back, and it's never come back down again, but quality went down.

Dry-as here too, has been for months now, since before summer started I think. Big falls have come from storms. We're at almost half the normal rainfall at this time for the year.

#1196062 - 28/05/2013 16:21 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: Fine Elsewhere]
SBT Offline

Ant they got 16mm last week which is just enough to put green tinges on what's left fodder wise but bugger all by way of run off to refill dams etc. More follow up rain needed urgently.

Never fails to surprise me that growers get such a raw deal yet the prices paid by us in supermarkets or butchers only ever goes up.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1196134 - 28/05/2013 23:09 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: Fine Elsewhere]
ant Offline

It's just scary when we enter these long dries, and no one notices. 16mm is nice, but you need more if it's dry. You get the green tinge, they call it a green drought, but dam levels tell the real story. Can't eat that green tinge.

#1207416 - 16/08/2013 18:05 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: Fine Elsewhere]
SBT Offline

Almost 3 months later and 0mm has fallen at my nieces property west of Tambo. They are rapidly destocking, shooting what they can't sell, retaining a very small breeder herd which they can feed for about 12 months with what is left but they are not sitting back and moaning about it. They are pouring money into rebuilding dams and troughs, fencing and upgrading the properties roads while they still can. Cutting swales and putting in a number of other permaculture features, closing down bores and drilling new ones etc to try and help with future droughts as well as improving pasture. Big job but they are cashed up, have drive and the know how to get stuck in and make a go of it. Having a highly paid job as a mine ventilation engineer helps a lot but sooner or later the property will have to start paying it's own way.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1207439 - 16/08/2013 21:25 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: Fine Elsewhere]
Petros Offline

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
Where is Tambo SBT? - we have one down this way..

#1207495 - 17/08/2013 14:33 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: Fine Elsewhere]
SBT Offline

Central Queensland Petros. They live 80 klms west of Tambo and the station name is Flavina.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1231204 - 12/01/2014 18:54 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: Fine Elsewhere]
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany.W.A.
Hi All, its a while since I posted here, getting older and even less adept and useless with PC keyboards etc. but it is with great joy to report a wonderful harvest thru much of West Oz wheat belt.

Some of the farms further inland that i know well, have had the best ever recorded harvests - as a cousin of mine said it was like getting 2 harvests off the one crop! It is so heartening to hear so many good news stories from such a significant ag sector.....

There were still a few areas that missed out which is always disheartening when others do so well, but in a lot of areas the situation looked critical in late June & early July, but good rains followed and almost dead crops became the Wests best ever harvest.

I sincerely hope this event can rejuvenate a lot of tired farms and farmers, but hope everyone remembers this was the exception and makes best and prudent use of the windfall....
cheers FE

#1231511 - 14/01/2014 07:30 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: Fine Elsewhere]
Gabby Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Yarrawonga/Mulwala on the Murr...
Great to hear that this years harvest has made up some for less bountiful years. Good to hear from you FE! Just thank your lucky stars you live where you do and not in this neck of the woods - for this week of horror heat anyway.
Gabby

#1231515 - 14/01/2014 07:54 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: Fine Elsewhere]
Gabby Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Yarrawonga/Mulwala on the Murr...
Edit timed out so have to post separately
The land here is very dry with not much rain in the past weeks, so this should just tip the scales and finish the drying process.
We here have nothing to complain about though. We tour the WA NT and Queensland outback most years in our caravan for four months and were really distressed last year by the dryness of the vegetation or lack of, the empty dams and condition of the animals. It has been good to hear that some of these areas have received welcome rain, but at the same time our thoughts are with those who have missed out. Lets hope this season's wet brings rain to fill all dams and brings growth back to pastures long returned to just soil. I take my hat off to those working and living in the Australian outback.
Gabby

Edited by Gabby (14/01/2014 07:55)

#1231716 - 14/01/2014 17:33 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: Fine Elsewhere]
ant Offline

Horribly dry around the ACT region, I'm to the east, and visited a friend in the west, near Wee Jasper, a few weeks back, was sad to see the dry there too. AND their grasshoppers were even more numerous than out my way. I'm dreading another plague, we had one in 2003 and lost trees, and the garden.

I'm down the coast now (mid between Illawarra and South Coast) and it's surprising dry. A dirt road that brings you down to the Princes Hwy is usually the best dirt road ever, but now it's deep dust, ruts and marbles.

#1231915 - 15/01/2014 11:03 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: Fine Elsewhere]
SBT Offline

Nieces station is now completely destocked. About 150 head still not able to be mustered as they are scattered over 48,000 hectares. Even the roos are starting to look skinny apparently. Pigs and dingos having a field day. All work has now ceased apart from maintenace. No major infastructure going on as they have decided to cut their losses and halt any and all production until they get some rain. Their remaining herd has been spread over 3 properties (family owned) across Qld to try and at least keep some stock.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1231981 - 15/01/2014 15:16 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: Fine Elsewhere]
roves Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Paringa-Riverland
That's not good to hear SBT I really hope they can get some rain very soon.
Dry here also but I only grow wheat in the winter so its not so bad but like everywhere else I would love to see a big rain soon and it was 46 yesterday 46 today and 48 tomorrow. yuck!!

#1250524 - 23/03/2014 11:54 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: Fine Elsewhere]
SBT Offline

Still no decent falls out near Tambo so the property is in state of suspension. Some small falls to the north of their station but no runoff so no flushes entered the creeks.

At least the resident Koalas are providing some entertainment in the early afternoon when they gather under the homestead because it is too hot in the trees. Niece has started leaving a water bowl under the veranda and they head for that for a quick drink.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1252602 - 01/04/2014 09:49 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: SBT]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: El Arish
Timberland Pesticide Spray Investigation Records

(Beyond Pesticides, March 31, 2014) On March 24 the Oregon Department of Justice (ODJ) ordered the Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) to turn over records that are part of an investigation of an aerial herbicide spraying over timberland in southwestern Oregon. This public disclosure of records may allow residents to have a better understanding of the chemicals associated with ongoing exposure incidents. This recent spray event is just one in line of many that have led environmental groups and federal agencies to call into question the effectiveness of Oregonís regulation of pesticide use on timberland.

ODA began its investigation in November of 2013 after complaints that herbicides sprayed from a helicopter on commercial timberlands near Gold Beach drifted on to residential areas. ODA is investigating five herbicide active ingredients: 2,4-D, triclopyr, glyphosate, imazapyr, and metsulfuron methyl. However, ODA has not released information about the specific products it believes were used or their potential toxicity. Fifteen residents filed complaints with the department after they experienced rashes, headaches, asthma, and stomach cramps directly after the application.

Recently, the Oregon Department of Justice ordered ODA to turn over records that are part of an investigation after the agency denied a request made in January by Beyond Toxics to make these records public. ODA may be able to redact some personal and confidential information from its investigation records before making them public. This disclosure is viewed as a victory by environmental groups who are concerned about the health effects of spray incidents.

Spray incidents such as these are not surprising as Oregon has more relaxed regulations on timber production than its neighboring states. In Oregon, there are no required buffer zones around residential land, similar to those along fish-bearing streams, and the state does not require notification of residents near timberland. Timberland owners do have to notify the Oregon Department of Forestry, and people can pay a fee to receive those notifications, but they do not specifically disclose that chemicals that will be used, or the day and time of the spraying. Aerial herbicide application is also only used on private land as public forest land is managed without these practices.

These lax state regulations have also resulted in problems for the state of Oregon with federal authorities. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) recently found that the Oregonís program to reduce nonpoint coastal pollution is inadequate. Both federal agencies state that Oregonís program does not adequately protect streams that are habitat for Coho Salmon, an endangered species, and drinking water from herbicides that are aerially sprayed by lumber companies. This proposed disapproval action is part of a settlement of a lawsuit brought by the Northwest Environmental Advocates in 2009, which charged Oregon has failed to meet the conditions of the Oregon Nonpoint Programís approval.

Triangle Lake, another Oregon Community, has experienced similar pesticide exposures from the aerial application of herbicides to timberland. In 2011, atrazine and 2,4-D were found in the urine of residents around Triangle Lake. After these incidents, state and federal agencies launched the Highway 36 Corridor Public Health Exposure Investigation. The investigation resulted in the Oregon State Forester requiring pesticide applicators to turn over three years of forestry pesticide spray records from private and state timber operations. This incident was highlighted in a recent report by Beyond Toxics, ďOregonís Industrial Forests and Herbicide Use: A Case Study of Risk to People, Drinking Water and Salmon.Ē

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/dailynewsblog/?p=13003

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

#1274289 - 25/08/2014 02:16 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: Fine Elsewhere]
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany.W.A.
Hi All, I was just reading back about SBT comments on the dry season in Central west Qld earlier this year - about the the furthermost diagonally distant place across Oz from us down here on south coast of WA - and here we are 2/3 of way thru 2014 now having one of our driest ever winters in "modern times" ie last 30 or so years. As at tonite we have had a very low 370mm of rain for the year out of our normal average to this date of 680mm - ie just fractionally over half. Having dry conditions isn't much news in the west usually, but our little neck of the woods is meant to be "always wet in Albany" - well it aint this year!

I planted some new winter pasture late, thinking it must rain by law of average - it simply hasn't - time and again we have 5-10mm forecast and don't get 1mm.... I have a creek that floods usually 7 to 8 times each winter, it did it once this year.

At this stage there is good green feed, but no bulk, looks like it could be a very lean hay season this spring. Hay is our main farm income these days and you wouldn't believe it, but this year, after 5 years procrastination I built a new hay shed ...... bit of a laugh, but I still recon it will return me better than bank interest when I get some hay again.

How did that weather pan out in Tambo?

cheers FE

#1281413 - 22/10/2014 23:04 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: Fine Elsewhere]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
A fascinating read here from a Riverland farmer on weather forecasting and managing a business....
http://www.nuffieldinternational.org/rep_pdf/1413326428RSSchaeferfinalreport.pdf

#1282113 - 27/10/2014 18:46 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: Fine Elsewhere]
Petros Offline

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
Adon made an interesting premise in the ENSO thread yesterday....

"it [context: pasture health - Petros] has nothing to do with the type of animal or even the numbers of animals on the land, it is the time they are allowed to graze one area. The method I am trying to get off the ground takes all of the animals and bunches them tightly for a very short period of time followed by a long period of recovery. In my area the old European method of set stocking said that we could run about 1 sheep to the acre. I reckon it is a bit less than that now but you get my drift. So say you have 1000ac to work with, that would mean that 1 sheep would be allowed to constantly graze the acre "plot" it has year round. This is VERY bad for grass. Especially perennial grass which needs recovy time. The best method is to bunch those 1000 sheep into 1acre but only let them stay there for maybe 6 hours. Then they do not return for at least 6months. It lets the grass recover and regrow. It also lets the soil microbes go to work on a large amount of dung, urine and left over plant material(you should never graze all of the plant). This in turn makes sure the soil health is there and in turn lets the soil retain much more moisture. Perennial grasses have much deeper roots than annual grasses that most people rely on. Hence drought problems.

Studies have shown that a 1%increase in soil organic verb on can help hold for than 160,000litres of water per hectare. That's a huge amount!"

"Music to my ears Adon" smile

I cant comment on the profitability logistics, but imo the ecological potential is huge in terms of Australian open area pasture health. After all (thinking of the African mixed species migratory herds) - surely we have the closest ecology to the African plains on earth (I presume we do?).

#1282437 - 30/10/2014 09:05 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: Fine Elsewhere]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Reminds me of the theory that Allan Savoy has:

http://fletcher.tufts.edu/CIERP/News/more/Allan-Savory-Fletcher-Jan2013

There is a TED talk floating around somewhere as well...

And this of course applies to scientific principles. Never compromise these. Never! [Follow the science and you will be shown correct in the end...]

#1286834 - 30/11/2014 13:51 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence. [Re: Fine Elsewhere]
SBT Offline

Hi FE, they got some decent falls (10mm with another 25 mm a couple of days later) which had a small run in the creeks and filled a couple of dams. Niece reckons they have a green glaze but with no follow up rain it will die off pretty quick. Falls of 45 to 70mm reported around the district. Our nephew, the eternal optimist has started a small restocking program. 300 head in the last month. Possibly another 300 after Xmas if they get anymore rain but holding off until it falls. (In a good year he reckons he could run 1500 head and still have plenty of spare capacity) Restricted to the best couple of paddocks with full dams with a couple left in reserve but the country is still pretty poorly covered with grass to my eye but I'm not farmer. Only a couple of real old cranky clean skin bulls still left on the property which they haven't been able to round up or shoot yet. Not worth my while driving a 1000klms to go shoot them so he will knock them off as and when he comes across them.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

Page 65 of 67 < 1 2 ... 63 64 65 66 67 >

Who's Online
8 registered (DaveM, rainiac, Knot, EddyG, Wave Rider, Matt Pearce, 2 invisible), 272 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Greg Spencer, K-Town King, sammyb79
Forum Stats
29315 Members
32 Forums
23642 Topics
1456422 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image