Page 35 of 68 < 1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 67 68 >
Topic Options
#445061 - 11/10/2006 15:59 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Helen Offline

Loc: Mid North, SA
Lovely pics Mike and certainly nothing wrong with them. smile Reckon you could get a good feed off of those emus... only in Australia, hey? laugh

Good to see some of the bush with a bit of green grass, but shame about the dryland crops. I'm confused too about irrigated crops, I thought they'd all but pulled the plug on water allocations this year.

Hopefully next year will see a turn around, but I can sure see why folk are leaving the land and heading in to town. frown

Thanks for sharing some pics and info on what others don't get to see too often.

Cheers, Helen :cheers:
Sept - - (48mm) / Oct - - (38mm) / Nov - - (23mm) / Dec - - (18mm)

#445062 - 12/10/2006 08:33 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Wagga District ...Where Crows ...
It appears the lull in this El Nino as mentioned by holts seems to on the S.O.I. of late to be coming to an end with figures once again heading downhill & fast.
I agree with you guys Adon & holts that estimates on the 06 crop for this year are fanciful to say the least.
The way it is going around this part of N.S.W. now it could mean nothing is harvested at all !...The forecast of high temperatures could well spell the end sooner than later.
Hi Dilbert & Helen

I think you need a "much much" bigger tank Helen

Happy trails

#445063 - 12/10/2006 11:37 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Helen Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Goody:
I think you need a "much much" bigger tank Helen

Happy trails
Hi there Goody. :wave:

Yep, a much, much bigger tank wouldn't go astray, but then you gotta get rainfall to fill it. :p With less than half our average rainfall to date, even the tanks we have never got close to filling. frown

I reckon this has to be the driest its been in my lifetime and even the long-time farmers around here reckon the valley has never ever been this dry... of course they're the same one's that cry drought when we haven't had rain by May, so are a little prone to exageration. :rolleyes: Still, at least for this year, they did call it right. wink

#445064 - 12/10/2006 18:31 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

Loc: Cobar 31.50S, 145.83E, 243m ...
Kodacrap Special indeed Dilbert. :p
Gotta love that red dirt don't you laugh laugh

Great company .Great pics :cheers:

#445065 - 12/10/2006 19:45 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
BD (Bucketing Down) Offline

Loc: Eastern Adelaide Hills, SA
Great pics Dilbert...I just love the Aussie bush wet or dry...but its better wet, of course!

Some of the irrigators have water left from last years allocation and they can still use some of it until about February I think, then the irrigation channels will be closed. And some have bore licences and can pump from the underground aquifer. That is why they are still irrigating some paddocks, etc. Tha's what they tell me anyway.

#445066 - 12/10/2006 19:56 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.

Hey Adon cloud is forming up NW of SA and GASP still has NW cloud-band over most of SA and VIC sat slowly drifting northwards with say 5 to 20mm over most of us north of say 50km south of Adelaide to about Ararat to Melbourne, and the band up to Riverina NSW. Even if we cut the rain in half, like we used to do at the Bureau ...then it is still say 3 to 10mm...better than nothing...here's hoping anyway!
The GASP has had a rainfall NW Cloud-band on it for days actually. It would be nice to smell rain and hear it on the roof, almost forgotten what it is like! Don't know if it would actually help many though...maybe a few in the North Mallee SA and Lower North SA & Hills SA, and maybe a few in VIC & NSW also, I guess.

#445067 - 12/10/2006 22:20 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
adon Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Not tellin!
Oh yeah Good stuff crops are dead now so not gunna do that any good but might settle some dust I suppose!

On a different note, just came back from Melb tonight and saw HEAPs of grass hoppers around Bendigo. Must have hatched in the last couple of days Maybe even today. Real thick little bands of hoppers across the roads evey now and then.

#445068 - 13/10/2006 01:21 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany.W.A.
Hi All, Hey dilbert i loved the pics - the one about the Campsite had some pines in the background, are those native pines or imported radiata or pinasta ? we don't have any native pines on the western side of the continent as far as i'm aware, but i understand u have a few over there.
Hate to say it, but we had a lovely showery day today to boost our hay crop, nearly lost it last week with a 28 degreee day jumped up unexpectedly. Grain from WA will be well down this year due to lack of rain, last forcast i heard was 60 % of avarage, but i'm not sure. i'm off to a big family do this weekend, so i will catch up with those from further up country who can tell me first hand whats happening.
i recon u should get a bit of moisture over there in the next few days, but if its like over here, the systems look promiosing, but moisture doesn't convert to rainfall!?!
good luck to u all,
:wave: FE

#445069 - 13/10/2006 09:51 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
adon Offline

Yer Holts you are right about the GASP runs having that rain on them for a while. I mentioned it about 5 days ago. While the rain amounts have come back it has stuck with it. Time will tell if it comes off. Never know GASP moy be the one we go to for a while!

#445070 - 13/10/2006 10:27 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Dilbert Offline

Loc: Arnold NthCentralVic
These are from similiar country Here & here in '05...someone else will have to help you with variety of pine/cedars but they are prevalent across the dunes from Nyngan west to the Darling....with stands of eucy on the lower areas and pines on the high.(not that the area isn't as flat a shitcarters hat other than nasty rocky ridges and endless dunes toward the river)
Timber mills sorted most of the big stuff early last century and after talking to a learned gentleman in Cobar who's grandfather had a saw mill near the Darling he suggested that all the timber trim, lining boards and ornate ceilings of blackwood in my place in Vic came from this Darling river area 110 years ago.
Must have been heaps of timber cut out of these areas...lots went into wood fired boilers for mining and agriculture I'd say......but the regrowth has created a very nice forest that you can move through easily.
Lovely district and those that live there are addicted to it ....but with the beauty of the area I can appreciate why......just tooo bloody hot for me laugh

#445071 - 15/10/2006 12:10 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Jules J Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: West of Biggenden Qld
Crops here have failed miserably around the district here but fortunately for us we did have a nice downpour of 50mm(31/08) & 12.5mm(01/09), that seemed to save our paddock of triticale enough to feed it off anyway. Sadly that downpour was only over us & a couple of the neighbours but not a drop out at the 3,000 acre block.
Down to our last 100 bales of hay & haven't had any water in our dams since November last year (besides the few inches from the 50mm end of August at the house block) so now looking at a major destocking in the next 2 weeks.
It doesn't matter which direction you look out here, all looks the same. So much of this beautiful country suffering, no matter which state you live in.
Rainfall YTD - 182.5mm (Avg = 600mm) lagging behind a bit.

#445072 - 15/10/2006 20:03 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Helen Offline

Damn it's dry up there Jules, not unlike our neighbourhood. frown

The whole country's getting rather thirsty... only saving grace for us so far is that the aquifer is still holding out okay. smile

#445073 - 15/10/2006 23:39 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
bigwilly Offline
Weatherzone Mod and Photog

Loc: Junee - just north of the 'Bid...
I've heard that the crops down in the Riverina are starting to fail spectacularly, with most farmers either letting stock in to feed on the canola or cutting it early for feed. frown

Seems no matter where you go in the SE (incl SA wink ) things are looking rather dire!

:cheers: Will
2010 Rainfall: 759.3mm (Annual Avg: 521.5mm)

#445074 - 16/10/2006 00:06 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
adon Offline

Yeah happening everywhere Willy. Very few spots have escaped this one and even some irrigation crops have been frosted and will be well down on yield. We have been cutting crops that looked very nice indeed(even on dryland)but the frost has knocked out 90% of the yield. They are baling it for stockfeed and are getting good money for it so at least they will get somthing. We on the other hand(unless we get a good 10mm+ this week) will not start a header and the crops are so bad they are not good enough to cut for hay. We were too cautious at the start of the season and delayed planting in hope of a better break later on. We didn't have another chance for 4-5weeks and that made a huge diff. A crop across the road from our house(not our land) has a crop that will get seed and a little better and also would have been good enough to cut hay to recover all costs and make a little money. Well win some loose heaps more I suppose but still looking for work away from the farm and looking for mining work in Qld now if I get some I will not be coming back frown

#445075 - 16/10/2006 08:41 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Jules J Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: West of Biggenden Qld
Helen, glad to hear your bore is holding up ok, all ours are now kapoot. This drought is so widespread, if a map of Australia were a dartboard it'd be hard to hit a spot that wasn't in drought frown

Adon, most of the young ones in the district here have left to work in the mines. It's been a major re-adjustment for many of them due to their work ethics, lots have found the bureaucratic bulldust the hardest to cope with. Good luck with your search for work.

#445076 - 17/10/2006 06:16 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Alexia Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Corryong
Can anyone tell me if there are any problems feeding canola hay to cattle. We are going to buy some but haven't had any experence with it. Would appreciete any information about same.We are having trouble getting hay without huge transport cost.

#445077 - 17/10/2006 07:04 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Farmer Offline
Weather Freak

Hi Alexia,
Had a bit of a look around about canola hay and all seem to come up with the following : "Canola is not designed for animal consumption as hay; there are also serious herbicide and pesticide concerns. Canola hay is potentially toxic and is not recommended under any circumstances", so I guess it would not be a good idea.

#445078 - 17/10/2006 10:26 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Wagga District ...Where Crows ...
Hi Alexia & Farmer
I am only going to confuse you both here because it is my understanding that canola hay is every bit as good as lucerne. I have not had any personal experience with it but Locals here have turned sheep into failed canola crop while others are making it everywhere of late into Silage bales (sealed in plastic) to Large Square & Round Rolls. I think if you decide to go with it surely you could buy some not to far away there Alexia & cut that freight cost down.
If you are in a drought declared area you will be entitled to recieve a freight subsidy to get hay of any sort in. Talk to your local PP Board
Happy trails !

#445079 - 17/10/2006 13:46 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Alexia Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Corryong
Thanks Farmer & Goody. We are in victoria no freight subsidy for us.We are drought declared.

#445080 - 18/10/2006 08:20 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Farmer:
"Canola is not designed for animal consumption as hay; there are also serious herbicide and pesticide concerns. Canola hay is potentially toxic and is not recommended under any circumstances",

Remind me not to but canola oil after that quote! eek

Page 35 of 68 < 1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 67 68 >

Who's Online
1 registered (RC), 42 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
letecia, mal dinham, Philby, SBT
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24192 Topics
1529024 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image