Page 4 of 68 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 67 68 >
Topic Options
#444441 - 29/01/2003 11:35 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mcg Offline

Loc: Hunter Valley
Don't know FE. I think we are almost at the end of our tether. Can't continue like this and don't have any alternatives.
We applied to subdivide our unproductive portion of land, close to town, three years ago and the dep Planning is still procrastinating. Meanwhile we have our back to the walland our cattle on a lease with no feed. We have asked local members and even the minister to inervene, still we wait. So very frustrating, bet if it was their application it would have been looked at immediately. mad mad mad

#444442 - 29/01/2003 12:40 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

Loc: Cobar 31.50S, 145.83E, 243m ...
Still waiting for the rain like the rest of Australia
Certainly not enjoying this heat one little bit.
Someone told me the other day it wasn't going to rain until Next Year eek eek eek
We will be in the deepest of deep by that stage,probably have to visit all family & friends in town so we can get a feed laugh laugh that will sort out the frienships then laugh

Hang in there everyone

Heather :cheers:

#444443 - 29/01/2003 13:43 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany.W.A.
Hi Mcg, i get real mad when i hear about govt agencies & people who sit on bottoms in comfy chairs & take 3 years to decide something...i take it that if u could subdivide off some land, u would then have either another title to allow finance or sale thereof, thus providing avenue to finance some feed & carry on finance? U can't do this cos nobody will make a decision? If thats the case, (& i'm not a rebelious person) i would strongly suggest u think about getting a TV crew out there for a news story on how beauracts are starving u & the animals.... sadly, if theres one thing that motivates our political & govt sector its bad publicity. But be fair, ring whomever u have been dealing with (govt agency & polly) & give them a time frame ie 7 days - to get something done or the media will be invited to look at your desparate situation - might sound drastic, but it sounds to me like things are drastic for u!!!!
If i'm out of order sticking my head in here -i appologise (i've been thru the same loop with a property subdivision) & it wasn't until i got media involved in claims of "poor govt practice" that things actually moved! In meantime we truely feel for you & hope & pray something good will happen soon - very best wishes FE

#444444 - 30/01/2003 20:26 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mcg Offline

Thank you FE
Strange you should mention that.....i took it upon myself to contact the ministers office and the Dep Planning NSW. I told them axactly that....we were suffering terribly with the drought and if a positive disecion wasn't forthcoming then a media crew would be visiting them with me on Friday.
I had contact within two hours to say that the minister was looking at it immediately and would sign off on it this week...funny that.
Yes the subdivision is to allow us to repurchase a more productive holding somewhere...are there any left in the country?, and assist us in surviving this drought.
Thank you so much for your advise and taking the time to give it...it is appreciated. wink

#444445 - 30/01/2003 22:26 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Mcg, so pleased something looks favourable for you, i tried to send you a PM on the matter, but something did'nt work there - dont let up on them now, if they dont deliver on times they have stated, keep on that phone " squeaky wheel gets the oil" so you keep squeaking! What would happen if farmers took 3 years to decide what crop to plant & when!! just makes me mad... Have a few little dramas here ATM that i'm on the edge of so must finish up quickly - take care Mcg & Others & think positive thoughts even if you get a bit mad (ie angry) at the same time!!
:wave: FE

#444446 - 31/01/2003 07:02 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

Good for you mcg
Pleased things are looking a bit brighter for you

All the best to everyone

#444447 - 31/01/2003 11:12 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mcg Offline

How are you going Heather?
I think of you all so often, it helps us to get through the day i think. Some of you don't see many other people as you are just trying to survive i know. It is so desperate here near Singleton, i can only imagine what you are going through. Such a helpless feeling. frown
Just had a call from a friend near Merriwa. He has fought to survive, like all of us, but he has been struggling harder than us and now he is out of water for the stock. We went out and helped him equip a well the other day, now he has found out that even the well has failed. No onther options as yet...what do you do!!! Have to go out and give it one more try.....drill for some water nearby...doesn't look good though mad mad

#444448 - 31/01/2003 14:02 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

mcg

Please tell you friend we are thinking of him & we hope he finds the water

It's kind of comforting to know we are all thinking of each other as we try to get through this "bloody" drought frown frown

Best wishes

#444449 - 05/02/2003 04:15 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi All - 5th Feb already, thank goodness as its our first day off since Christmas Day and first 2 day break since 1st fortnight of Dec! We are getting too old for this yearly madness. Its been & interesting 6 weeks with 2 fires & my good wife had a rushed air trip to Perth for health treatment & few days in the local hospital. I had to become Mum & do office work for last 2 weeks (bonus computer time & WZ as reward wink ) then i got septic finger by being bitten by a rabbit showing kids how to handle the critters. laugh ..my good neighbour said i should have known better as it was a Russian Blue & should have known not to trust foreigners especially rabbits! (but he's never got over buying a Belarus tractor). We had a big sand pad put down last week for a new shed -this is meant to be the start of the big "retirement" move onto another block closer to town, & my wife doesn't want one of my "b****y big" great ever growing sheds there (a good shed with a leanto onto a leanto..) This is the first shed i've ever had built, having previously built all my own so they could keep growing wink We got a bobcat with laser level in to compact & level a pad - beautiful job, so put star pickets in with electric fence to keep cows away. Yes it had to happen, last night one of "my roos" (seeing i'm the one who lets them stay here) got hooked up & pulled fence over and 70 cows had a dance party on the inviting sand pad - result was like a rodeo ring after a 2 week competition !!! (if i'd built the shed i'd put the floor in after wink ) So tomorrows planned first fish day off will instead be spent trying to re-level the dance floor for cows again! Still my neighbour will have fun reminding me of this for next couple of years no doubt - such is life & i really appreciate having such a good neighbour that we can pull each other leg about these sort of things & see the funny side makes life worthwhile!
Now the maps are showing some lows extending down from the north & expected to cover a lot of inland area in Qld & down into NSW towards the end of this week & the black cockies have a few excited over there.... what do you all think, possibility of a drop or not? I really hope we see some posts soon in Heather's rain thread!
Will finish off with a funny story we heard this week - an overseas tourist travelled from Perth to Albany with video camera ready hoping to see a kangaroo along the way. Frustratingly the only ones he found were dead roos the roadtrains had hit. In desparation to find a good photo he selected a freshly "dead" roo with no marks and lifted it up against a road sign warning of roos on road. Then he decided it would look better with his coat over its arms & shoulders. Imagine his surprise when looking thru the view finder he saw the the "dazed" roo regained consciousness & hopped off with jacket containing wallet & passport!!! laugh laugh I've got a sneaking feeling i've heard this before - but maybe theres two easily fooled tourist in the world confused
Sincerely hope you get some rain this week - our very best wishes to you all from the West..
:cheers: FE

#444450 - 05/02/2003 10:45 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mcg Offline

I am so pleased FE to hear that we are not the only ones that things like that happen to. (the shed not the Roo)
I have a list a mile long of tales, but it would sound like an 'I told you so' segment. If we had a thread of "I told you so's" i could fill it i think. But would i own up to my mistakes or only my Hubbys?????
Maybe if you have some sheep you could let them onto the Dance Floor (as it will now affectionately be known) and really compact it for you.
Much cloud here in the Singleton area but NO RAIN.
I didn't think it could get worse than it was at Christmas, but it has.
:wave:

#444451 - 07/02/2003 21:46 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mcg Offline

How are you all? Have you had a good week?
We love having the kids home but it was inevitable that they would have to go back and this was the week. Our son started at a new school this year so this has been a very stressful week getting him settled and comfortable enough that he actually want to get out of the car in the morning. Peer pressure, i would hate to have to go through that again.
Has anyone had any moisture? We've had lote of cloud but no rain. Poor people in Qld from drought to floods in a few hours. What do they say 'if it doesn't rain it pours' or something to that effect. I feel for them.
We have spent a few days trying to source some feed for the cattle...never ending...it is getting so hard to find anything and when you do you have to wonder if you can afford it!!!
They say the weather patterns are changing so let's hope that by this time next week we are all comparing rainfall. :wave:

#444452 - 08/02/2003 02:18 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Mcg, just sat down with a cuppa (meat packing tonite for tomorrow mornings markets)& as i sit over here looking at that big expanse of green (on WZ Oz map) across the east coast from top Cape York to almost Melbourne, i wondered if any of you had got anything out of it? We haven't heard from Goody for weeks or from Boy F Bush for a while with his irrigation, or from Inclement, Tahnee, & Peto, while obviously D & D (Heather) & yourself are wondering what nature can deal out next! Worrying times all round. Had a smile about your son & school - i know someone once said "school days are the best days of your life!" but i often wondered whether that person went to a country school! When i was a kid & first started school, we had really long school bus lead times 7-15am for 8-30 arrival at school & home at 4-30pm - a long for a small kid. Then going away for Senior High School - trying to look like it was great fun when Dad & Mum left you for another lonely term. I really found the time between my first job at 18 & getting married at 25 were the really great "carefree" years lot better than school for me!
Must go Mcg, at least clouds can sometimes have rain in them - better than clear sky! BTW poured that cement slab today & yes - i both moved the cows & repaired e/fence (as she's told me to originally!!) didn't want to get home from markets tomorrow & find 70 "cerimonial hoof" prints in the cement! wink
Hope to hear some rain reports soon!
:cheers: FE

#444453 - 08/02/2003 11:14 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

Hi FE
Still nothing out this way,but storms predicted today who knows confused confused Just the luck of the draw,but at least it is raining in some parts of the country so that is a start. laugh

Pleased you have your slab poured, progress at last laugh laugh

Any way hope we all get some decent falls pretty soon
All the best

#444454 - 09/02/2003 07:53 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mcg Offline

Hi all
No rain as yet, each day we are closer (as they say). 'probably caused by terrorism' others would say. Very frustrationg, i would say.
Still drilling for water at our friends, although we could only help for a short time as we had to feed. he still is hoping to find water and hasn't given up at the 100' mark. I suppose if you,ve come this far then it is hard to even imagine givig up. You become so determined to 'beat this thing' or at least last the distance, i can only imagine how devestating it must be to reach the stage where you have to say, enough i can't do any more. frown

#444455 - 09/02/2003 11:19 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
DNO Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Ellesmere, Qld
Being housebound for the best of reasons (rain), I found this forum site. We recieved 40mm rain last night and it appear that most places in this district have had anything from 25 to 75 mm over the last few days. Although it wont do much as it is our first rain since a very lean 'wet' which ended last Feb, it gives us a bit of heart, with rainfall prospects for the next week looking promising. Hopefully the rain will spread to all areas very soon.

#444456 - 09/02/2003 22:22 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Peto Offline

Loc: Killarney SE QLD, 757 mts ASL
Hello All;

Sorry for my lack of posts, but I have been pretty busy lately with school, homework, stuff around the farm etc. I certainly can relate to the your son's predicament MCG, I have just started at a new school in Warwick and the last fortnight getting settled in has been pretty stressful, but it is not too bad now. Living in the country equals long bus trips as FE mentioned; I catch the bus at 7:30am and get home at around 4:30pm, although some kids have to catch it as early as 7:00 and don't get home till 5:00, a long day indeed.

On the rain side of things we have done pretty well really although more is needed. 30mm at Killarney and 83mm at The Head; greened everything up and put a flow (albeit a small one) back in the creek at The Head. Apparently we are going to get a few showers/storms around for the next few days, hopefully we might get something out of that.

I think the effects of TC Beni have been a bit sensationalised in the media of late; the so called "drought breaking rain" never got much further than the ranges in most cases. Some people at Clermont (Central QLD) we know only got a disappointing 4mm out of the whole system! Although I noticed Tambo (down the road from Longreach) got about 104mm last night, I'm sure that would be very welcome.

Good luck with your friends water drilling MCG, hope he manages to find a decent water supply down there soon.
:cheers:
-Tony

#444457 - 09/02/2003 22:48 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Boy from the Bush Offline

Loc: Mungindi, 180km west Goondiwin...
Hi FE and all, been pretty flat out the last few weeks. We ran out of water for the cotton 3 weeks ago. The crops really starting to stress now. Busy now trying to get machinery ready for picking. Finished working up 1 paddock for wheat and the inside of a dam as well. Worker managed to get a tractor bogged down to just over the axles in the dam. At the moment I'm trying to get my office organised a little bit better as I was accepted into a cotton production course by correspondence starting end of Feb.

How much rain has everyone had out of this system, we managed to get 3mm. Hey Peto have you heard any reports from over near Glenlyon Dam, justI'm hoping for some good flows into the dam.

Cheers, BFTB

:wave: :cheers:

#444458 - 10/02/2003 12:37 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mcg Offline

HI all
Good to hear from you Tony and BFTB. We are on our way to Warwick for the Polocrosse Worl Cup in April. We are playing in Killarney first and then on to Warwick. I don't think we will be getting much Polocrosse in this year though due to the weather. We have more calves needing to come in and go on the bottle so that will tie us down again.
Great to hear someone is getting some rain we are almost desert here.
How is the Cotton crop BFTB. Has the quality suffered because it has been stressed? I don't know a great deal about Cotton only that it needs lots of water to grow.
Hope you are all surviving. I suppose we should all try and look on the bright side, whatever that is. Does anyone have a 'joke' or a 'yarn' to share?Take care all. No still no water where they are drilling... frown

#444459 - 10/02/2003 17:36 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

#444460 - 10/02/2003 17:42 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

Joe grew up in a small town, then moved away to attend college and law school. He decided to come back to the small town because he could be a big man in this small town. He really wanted to impress everyone. He opened his new law office, but business was very slow at first. One day, he saw a man coming up the sidewalk. He decided to make a big impression on this new client when he arrived.

As the man came to the door, Joe picked up the phone. He motioned the man in, all the while talking...

"No. Absolutely not. You tell those clowns in New York that I won't settle this case for less than one million..." "Yes. The Appeals Court has agreed to hear that case next week. I'll be handling the primary argument and the other members of my team will provide support..."

"Okay. Tell the DA that I'll meet with him next week to discuss the details..."

This sort of thing went on for almost 5 minutes. All the while the man sat patiently as Joe rattled instructions. Finally, Joe put down the phone and turned to the man. "I'm sorry for the delay, but as you can see, I'm very busy. What can I do for you?"

The man replied, "I'm from the phone company...I came to hook up your phone."

Page 4 of 68 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 67 68 >

Who's Online
3 registered (Jimi, mysteriousbrad, Homer), 51 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
anvildome, Davenn
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24185 Topics
1528866 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image