NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 18 of 68 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 67 68 >
Topic Options
#444721 - 15/03/2005 12:29 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Joe Marshall Offline

Loc: Fernvale
Hi All well I am out of Hospital, been out for over a week now the hip is going well, walking good with crutches, after 2 weeks. I haven't ventured outside yet. It is a pity to look out from the verandah to see the place drying up, had very little rain in Feb and none in Mar so far. looks like another drought coming up. We had friends down last week to do a few things here, it was a good help. better go can't sit too long in one place,good te here you have a little work W.W. a bit of extra money always helps.
C.U Joe :wave: :cheers:

#444722 - 15/03/2005 15:56 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Wagga District ...Where Crows ...
G'day there Joe the Marshall

Well that's a great start Joe so it will only get better.
Yes things are drying up badly here to.

Let me tell you a funny story if you can sit still for long enough to read it :

A year or so ago I took a semi-trailer load of grain to a dairy up Tumut way, was the property of the Kelly girls on the Batlow Rd. Being rather hilly I had been using the brakes a lot more than is normal & at some stage late in the journey an s cam on the brakes went over centre on the tri axle of the trailer ... this locked the brakes on with that set of wheels.

I arrived & backed up to the grain silo out in front of the house some 50 meters away. When I got out of the truck & went back the inside tyre on the centre axle burst into flames from the heat generated from the now collapsed wheel bearings. I crawled under with a fire extinguisher to put it out but of course it did not work. Wriggling back out I decided to run down to the nearby dairy & get a bucket of water, just entering a doorway I was rocked from behind be a very loud explosion which was the tyre exploding in all directions.
Not long after I had managed to douse the flames & two of the Kelly girls quickly appeared to help, another sister came hobbling up on a pair of crutches all wide eyed asking "My God what was the explosion?" ... She said there were bits of rubber up on the lawn !
The poor soul had only been home 2 weeks from having a hip joint replacement & had not been out of the house up till then. Tell you what Joe it sure got her going !! laugh

I don't know whether the cows gave much milk that day but sure as hell gave the girls something to talk about for the next week ... laugh

Good health there Joe

#444723 - 16/03/2005 10:16 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Jules J Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: West of Biggenden Qld
Joe, good to hear the op went well & you're on the road again, albeit under a caution flag wink
You'll be better than your old self in no time.
Yep getting damn dry here again, over 200mm under our average rainfall so far this year. Everyone's de-stocking & cattle prices have dropped between 15 & 20cents/kg at the last sale & not looking any better for this Thursdays sale.
Cattle conditions are dropping fast, fats having to be sold as stores, just no feed to finish them off with. Not looking good coming into winter which is our lowest rainfall period.

Jules

#444724 - 16/03/2005 10:37 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Jules J Offline
Weatherzone Addict

LOL@ Goody laugh I can relate to that story. They go off like a bomb.
Just replaced the bearings, seals & s cams in our trailer & boy were they overdue! Never seen s cams so flatsided :rolleyes: As you know with machinery, one problem leads to another & another & another. The unit is for sale web page

Well must fly, need to haul my wide load into the saddle & get these cattle into the yards for tomorrows sale. Only 6 head on the house block but another 64 out on agistment block down the road. New horse arrived here this morning, so this will test her & I, she looks good & has a lovely temperment so hopefully our friendship will be a long one laugh . I haven't been in the saddle for awhile so Joe, I may need to borrow your crutches wink

Jules

#444725 - 17/03/2005 17:08 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

Loc: Cobar 31.50S, 145.83E, 243m ...
PLeased all went well for you Joe
Heather

#444726 - 18/03/2005 09:21 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

Morning all
Still no rain out this way.
3mm for the past 3months
Has to come soon doesn't it???????????????

Heather :cheers:

#444727 - 18/03/2005 19:09 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
DNO Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Ellesmere, Qld
Hi All, Well I reloated from Richmond Qld in late Dec, and settled into my job here near Quambone in Mid Jan. Learning a lot about farming, and spending lots of hours on tractors. The GPS guidance and self steering tractors really amazed me, and makes it a lot easier for a novice like me.
We had only guaged 4mm of rain since I got here, but we fluked a storm of 28mm last night. Hopefully there is more to come before too long.

#444728 - 18/03/2005 22:30 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Joe Marshall Offline

Hi Guys and Gals Thanks for your thanks on my opp every thing is going well now got as far as the front gate the other day but couldn't carry the mail back. Hey goody luckey you wern't still under that truck when the tyer blew can doo some nasty damage. I was changing the back wheels of a truck once when the inside tyre blew, I got a badly broker hand out of it and many injuries on my legs and face. Good to here from you again DNO.I wondered when you would pop up some where a gain. The rain band that has gone through was very patchy most areas on the downs had about25 mm we never got a drop our country drying up very badly now. I hope the horse went well Jules

#444729 - 19/03/2005 12:56 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Jules J Offline
Weatherzone Addict

laugh We got 11mm last night from a couple of little cells, settled the dust a bit anyway.

Joe, the horse went very well, she has such a lovely temperment. Floating her out to the daughters place today, doing a days contract mustering out that way tomorrow.

I'm open to suggestions for names for a colt, at the moment the daughter calls him Toolbox :rolleyes: apparently he can be a bit of a tool laugh we really do need to find him another name.

Jules

#444730 - 19/03/2005 17:29 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Joe Marshall Offline

Jules after hearing the name toolbox the first thing I can think of is Spanner or mabey Screwdriver, how about Grease Gun. ????
Joe.

#444731 - 21/03/2005 11:27 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
dylan Offline

Loc: warwick QLD
how about "Shifter"?
I used to ride a horse called "Tuckerbox"...$50 special at saleyards, if it wasnt bought then it would have been Tuckerbox dogfood for sure. Died quietly of natural causes yrs later.

#444732 - 21/03/2005 11:29 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
dylan Offline

Loc: warwick QLD
On a weather note....what chance of an Autumn break from the frontal system in the west?

#444733 - 22/03/2005 00:32 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Hi to Everyone

Home & Away seems to be the modus operandi for me atm... have been to Newcastle then out the Golden Hwy to Dubbo to Peak Hill then Molong via Yeoval hope that is the correct spelling, on to home through Canowindra , Young , Coota etc. I am pretty sure I took all the rain with me on that trip the other day. I think someone got 54 mm at Dunnedoo as I past by laugh
Today has been Camden to Port Kembla & home with rain down the Hume ....I think I did it again !

Main reason for me telling you this is that I have been worried sick by the dive in the S.O.I. but low & behold the long awaited correction which took a whole month happened so all is not lost just yet but a real concern lingers for the Spring.

Joe yes I was "very" lucky that day as I was right in there beside that tyre only a minute or so before it went....the Kelly girls keep reminding me !

Jules checked out your truck ......mmmm nice so you should have plenty of interested buyers Good Luck with it !
As for a horse name how about Ratchet for obvious reasons ! laugh then depending on the day you can choose which ever version you like.

DNO I have just gone hi-tec with my Internet service now coming via satellite ...have not been on a GPS tractor yet but appreciate the wonder of it all !

dylan have been to your nice town ! I think we might have to wait a bit longer for something to happen.
Land of nod beckons With Cheers from me :cheers:

#444734 - 22/03/2005 01:02 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Weathernut Offline

Loc: Darwin, Northern Territory
Hi all...

Been a hoilday Goody?

About 2weeks ago i was at Wide Bay Burnett area were there was two days of very isolated afternoon showers(Got to see lightning tho it was a few 100kms from were i was) then went to the Sunshine Coast(eeerrr Rainfall Coast laugh about 10min when we got there the rain was very heavy.. but was mostly cloudy when i was there.. Seemed i took Wagga`s weather with me... laugh

I better get to bed...

#444735 - 22/03/2005 08:41 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Hi there Weathernut

No.... I do a bit of casual truck driving so that is what is going on there. Well, sort of casual ha ! I think I am going to Melbourne tonight.
The holiday will come in July with a fortnight to the Darwin central Aus areas.

Jules "do not" call your horse Ratchet ... having slept on it, I don't think that is very nice !
I can't really think of a nice name for a horse, so the best I can say is don't rush into it, the right one will come along laugh

Ciao for now !

#444736 - 22/03/2005 09:27 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Joe Marshall Offline

Hi all yes Dylan I have been watching that system in W.A. not holding my breath though, every one has the saying it must rain one day.I've have given up hope on the S.O.I doesn't matter where it is, it's still drought in my books, if it is not an elnino what is it.
You've got plenty of names for that horse Jules.but I don't know about Ratchet, change two of the letters and thats it laugh .Happy driving Goody. cool

#444737 - 28/03/2005 20:42 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Hi to Everyone !

Hope we all had an enjoyable Easter weekend ...pretty quiet here but a nice luncheon was had today with friends.

One topic that came up while chatting about the weather... now what else would a bunch of farmers be talk'in about I ask you ? was that there seems to be a sudden increase in frogs.

Well, in particular the ones that have taken up residence in house roofs in recent years.

These are the Broad Palmed Frog (Litoria latopalmata)...mostly heard up in the gum trees but not all that often seen.
We have them come onto the outside of the windows at night over the summer months to catch moths attracted by the night lights. Of late there has been a marked increase in numbers with young ones appearing.

Some time back now in the Ag Forum all sorts of happenings from ants building up nests, to springs running water again, birds arriving etc were put forward as signs from nature that rain was on the way.
Not wanting to raise all of these issue again, I thought to make mention of this just in case a break comes soon & "does" continue on.

If so I for one will kiss a frog

All fringed & webbed toes crossed !

#444738 - 29/03/2005 09:43 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

Hi Goody
We had a great weekend as well & went to Menindee for a wedding on the river banks of the Darling River.And funny thing we also talked about the weather wink
On the way home my husband & I notice a lot of young Joey's not long out of the pouch & commented that, that was something different as it is so dry..........so if you kiss the frog,I'll see
if I can catch up with a Joey laugh
Still not a lot of emu's about frown Have the fingers & toes crossed though for RAIN

Heather :cheers:

#444739 - 29/03/2005 10:11 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Jules J Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Goody & Joe...... named the colt Coringa, it's the name of their place & he's the first colt on there ...... I won laugh

We've had several severe storms go around us this week-end, not a drop of rain here frown frown I could smell it & see it.

Jules

#444740 - 01/04/2005 11:15 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Hi WW & Nacreous !

Great to read your comments WW....laughed at how "country" we are. I am a bit worried though if it rains & I have to kiss this bloody frog laugh more to follow !

Jules well done I think that is very appropriate, I must say I am pleased.

Now, I have a confession

I told you all a lie !

The frog I spoke of is in fact :

Peron's Tree Frog
Litoria peronii & this of course explains why I have heard them up in the trees....duhhh ! :nerd:

This frog can change colour rapidly.

Tell you how I found out : The other day I took a load of re-cyclables to town & when there unpacking a black plastic tub of glass bottles (beer : my wife is an alcoholic you know...very sad) I discovered 2 dark coloured frogs. The first one jumped out & despite all attempts I could not catch it again to bring home. The 2nd I did & placed it in a bottle for the journey back to the salvation of family & friends.... on the way home the frog changed colour to match my vehicle interior trim of grey ....this was from almost black of the plastic tub.
So, you know what when I got home I sat the bottle near the brick wall at the fernery & this clever little so & so changed colour again to match the brickwork of biege.

I don't know if this was a thank you but when I walked out that door the next night a frog jumped "smack" right onto my forehead & stuck like you know what ! ha laugh

I will try to add some photos in future for the forum & like the frog colour life.

C U
Goody

Page 18 of 68 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 67 68 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
bradmac, Eager2beastormchaser, Go The Cows, Roland
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image