NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 37 of 68 < 1 2 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 67 68 >
Topic Options
#445101 - 31/10/2006 22:18 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Hi folks, thought you may like to hear from the only real truly drought-proof country in SA. Even a bad year is still productive here and this year was no real different. More in a minute on that...

October was the driest yet recorded for us though with just 4mm for the month beating all previous recordings. It is amazing just how dry the ground is for this time of year. But you all know the reality of this!!

Back to productivity. The nature of the Southern ranges with much cooler temps and the ability to catch most moisture that will be around has given us anything but a disaster. Hay cuts were about 50% down on hillsface pastures but the gullies and flats (the huge Kuitpo valley for example) were pretty close to 80%. Even now the rich flats are still waist deep in grass with hay cut paddocks regreening as the grass goes to head. This is our worse season ever yet still we are highly productive.

Which leads me to my gripe (what dribble would be complete without a gripe?) The governments go on about water shortages and the rising cost of living due to production shortfalls associated with the drought. This makes sense of sorts. Supply and demand and all that. In the very next breath they say that the economy needs to grow our population needs to increase and proceed to pop up intensive housing developments in the middle of SA's only productive country in ANY year. Er, maybe I am simple, but at last check you cannot grow produce on concrete and tiles? AAARGGGHHH this blatant hypocrisy really $hits me not to mention the veiled insult that we are all fools and cannot see what is going on.
I know there are bigger issues but this one is my pet hate and it frustrates me to the very core to see my much loved hills subdivided and the living standard of all concerned slowly erode not to mention the sustainability issues.

There rant over smile Thanks for the space and time smile smile

#445102 - 01/11/2006 10:49 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Wagga District ...Where Crows ...
Good gripe hillsrain !

Hope this coming rain event fires up that grass...not literally of course
The production there is just unbelievable so that says a lot for your fresh air with so little rain. I can see why then you are faced with such a dilema in that the farmers would not want to be selling out.
I don't know what you are going to do about the overriding problem (as I see it) of you being so close to Adelaide & the life style sprawl ?
We have signs along the roadsides here saying Area of High Conservation meaning roadside vegetation....Perhaps you should start a similar campaign for your farmland ?
As climate change bites & our farmers begin to disapear State Gov's might out of necessity put an end to this in areas of such high productivity ?.
Here in NSW now in zoned 1A Rural Farmland one cannot sub divide under 100ha which goes some way to protecting farmlands.
I am in a similar situation to you in that urban lifestyle from Wagga Wagga reaches further every year.
With our fresh air containing no moisture at all & with the way things are going some farmers here in these areas will see this as a Godsend to at least have willing & paying buyers to get out.
This will continue no doubt to be a very vexing problem
Happy trails !

#445103 - 01/11/2006 22:10 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

I can feel that Monkey suit coming on....I don't like this one little bit going on the radar atm

#445104 - 01/11/2006 23:36 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.

Hey Goody, a vexing problem indeed and I really cannot see an answer either. I guess the money talks louder than sense and for that reason alone history will continue to write the same old stories across the planet.
We can only hope that the sense is seen and written to legislation in protecting those rare location jewels that have the capacity to feed us all very capably and without environmental stress. It should also be made law that the corporate interests must be kept out!! Adon writes well why on previous pages.
To todays weather, well not enough moisture to settle the dust on the road for me. These events far better serve the northern ranges and southern Fleurieu. Usually get caught up in the clockwork regular moisture streams ( see here ) that see's me in the dry middle. Can be frustrating at times.
Cheers,
Tim smile

#445105 - 02/11/2006 09:25 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

We don't seem to have a breaking weather portal going atm for this southern NSW rain event which is probably just as well as nothing has happened yet & does not look like it is going to.
Right now the dust is flying Galahs are wheeling & screeching but I think in vain as the clouds are high showing mammatus bottoms

Now that is sure to get a bite ! laugh

#445106 - 02/11/2006 10:55 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
ant Offline

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
There was a topic, storms or something, covering quite a large timeframe. It's often the way though, there's no topic, or it's in Briefing Room and you aren't allowed to say anything about what's happening. Or it's about Sydney.

The radar doesn't look too great, but the clouds here are still looking vaguely possible. Wind's getting up and it's a warm wind. Galahs were eating my house (again) this morning.

#445107 - 03/11/2006 08:20 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

Loc: Cobar 31.50S, 145.83E, 243m ...
We got 10.4mm rain last night.Had raised dust all day yesterday.
A lot of thunder ,lightning & wind.Won't break the drought ,but it watered the garden :cheers:

#445108 - 03/11/2006 09:19 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Dilbert Offline

Loc: Arnold NthCentralVic
and I thought I'd finished the mowing/slashing for the year....now it goes and bloody rains.

We got 17mm and as thirsty as the ground is, we still managed some run-off that made the dam smile

#445109 - 03/11/2006 09:28 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Dilbert Offline

Ant, I've got a stuffed white cockatoo with his wings open....if I put him on the garden table all the other birds stay out of the garden....not sure if it the threat of getting stuffed or attacked.....but it works wink

Maybe a hawk or kite in the window.....maybe even a silhouette of a bird of prey.....or a pump action smile

#445110 - 03/11/2006 09:35 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Good onya Dilbert !
Glad to see someone can get something decent

Heather I just looked at the bulletins & Cobar was listed as 2.2mm so You must live beside the Church there do you ? ha

Had one heck of a dust storm here lunchtime with about 5 spots.
But last night it rained 7mm so I can throw that Monkey suit back in the cupboard laugh

#445111 - 03/11/2006 09:40 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Helen Offline

Loc: Mid North, SA
Great to see someone getting some reasonable totals. smile 2.6mm all up for the system here, but the guys reaping what little grain is on the paddocks don't really want a deluge anyway. wink A very few in this valley will get back what they sowed to try again next year, while others are just leaving the paddocks as they are to stop any topsoil loss.

Not since June has there been any monthly rainfall over 10mm in this valley and not a single month has made it over the magic 1" mark. frown Heather, I reckon we're gonna give Lynwood a run for its money this year on the big dry. wink

Anyone else have folk in their district taking out flood insurance for the first time? They're doing it in droves here, although I feel it may be a bit premature... if I'm wrong of course, at least we're raised high enough to not have to worry about flood waters. laugh

Anyway, just about time to head to the big smoke, those Starbucks coffee beans are calling.

Cheers, Helen
Sept - - (48mm) / Oct - - (38mm) / Nov - - (23mm) / Dec - - (18mm)

#445112 - 03/11/2006 16:42 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

Loc: Cobar 31.50S, 145.83E, 243m ...
Quote:
Heather I just looked at the bulletins & Cobar was listed as 2.2mm so You must live beside the Church there do you ? ha

No where near a church Goody laugh laugh

2.2 at the airport & we are 3 ks away from that,my daughter lives about 10 minitues walk from us & she had 12.3mm's. confused
Just had another nice drop about 5minutes ago,still plenty of thunder & cloud around.
Bring on the rain :cheers: :cheers:

Not to sure about the rest of you but I am buying the newspapers everyday now that I live in town & I am having a great laugh/nearly cry sometimes & shake my head at the reporting of the drought.
There has been a ongoing drought now for the last few years people on the land & in the bush know this.
All of a sudden it seems city folk & politicians are finally coming to realise what we have know for years.

We are in trouble with this drought,big trouble & no one wants to try & fix our wasted water problems.

Every morning I go for a walk & every morning there is water running down gutters & into the drains being wasted.One spot has been the same for the past 3 months & the place the water is running from is Council owned.Go figure. :cheers:

#445113 - 04/11/2006 13:42 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Canola Hay a Drought Ration

Something has come to my attention that I would like to make mention of to anyone wishing to purchase canola hay. It might be just prudent to ask for a declaration from the seller on what chemicals have been used....To also seek advice from your local Agronomist & Vet to its use as a drought ration.

A scenario may (I say may) exist as I see it that Farmer has eluded to in an earlier post.... No one really knows & any sort of trace back to any farmer would be the last thing now one would want to see happen !

Happy trails

#445114 - 05/11/2006 08:17 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Dilbert Offline

Bendigo market saw $3/head for sheep last week before this rain......'twill be amusing to see what sort of kneejerk sheep price we get this week after this nice bit of rain through the district.
Graziers will choose to sit on their hands still (and be happy to feed their breeding stock) but the w/end farmers will be having a buy up with sheep so cheap :p

Have to feel sorry for the guys with crops still standing ....they are so short that if they shoot in the head they will be able to take root :rolleyes: .....nay sorry shocked (sick humour).....the crops didn't need hammering any closer to the ground, so stunted and short already it will be hard to keep the header out of the rocks frown
Seriously...lets hope the growers get a break and these crumby crops don't shoot in this moist air and destroy the lot......hoping for a breezy sunny day here.

#445115 - 05/11/2006 13:01 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Hey Adon !

I was just watching the ABC Landline story on the Birchip Field Days....Which one was you ?

#445116 - 08/11/2006 13:38 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Dilbert Offline

I've just been for a run up into Adon country this morn....Charlton Wychiproof across thru Birchip to Hopetoun and back.
So bloody dry out in that country...just straw coloured without a break frown
Everyone was chirpy though and never walked passed a person in Charlton or Hopetoun without an "'ello!" or a "G'day"....nice change from even Bendigo.
Ended up getting a cup of tea in the OP shop even....and some bone handle knives.

Nice district and nice community you have up there Adon....shame about the dry.

#445117 - 12/11/2006 09:28 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Radar atm looks fantastic not so on the ground only 1mm here

#445118 - 12/11/2006 13:18 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
ant Offline

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
It's all going south of us now. We got a few mms earlier this morning, but now it's dodging us. although the sun out will warm things up... a storm would be nice.

#445119 - 12/11/2006 14:05 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Helen Offline

Loc: Mid North, SA
Fingers crossed for you guys in the east. But unfortunately unfair is the name of the game with systems this time of year. Clare, 33kms to our SW has received 28.2mm, we've had 8.1mm. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the rain, it's indeed welcome, I'm just complaining that a water-wasteful area gets a deluge. frown
Sept - - (48mm) / Oct - - (38mm) / Nov - - (23mm) / Dec - - (18mm)

#445120 - 12/11/2006 21:34 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
adon Offline

Loc: Not tellin!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dilbert:
I've just been for a run up into Adon country this morn....Charlton Wychiproof across thru Birchip to Hopetoun and back.
So bloody dry out in that country...just straw coloured without a break frown
Everyone was chirpy though and never walked passed a person in Charlton or Hopetoun without an "'ello!" or a "G'day"....nice change from even Bendigo.
Ended up getting a cup of tea in the OP shop even....and some bone handle knives.

Nice district and nice community you have up there Adon....shame about the dry.
Yeah not very pretty up here. But still hope for a storm or two. Had 11mm today and 8mm last week. better than the whole winter! :rolleyes: but that the way it goes up here, it always rains AFTER it's to late!

Page 37 of 68 < 1 2 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 67 68 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Matthew Piper), 52 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
benny200, ChaseNZ, ptera, stormymick1, ThunderstormZ, typhoonbeach
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image