NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 38 of 68 < 1 2 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 67 68 >
Topic Options
#445121 - 12/11/2006 22:13 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Wagga District ...Where Crows ...
G'day there Adon
I spent two days this week at a Conference in Canberra on Intergrating Agriculture & Environment Imperatives for a Profitable Future. Your Ian McClelland from the Birchip Cropping Group did a good job as one of the Speakers.

It is the way of things is it not that when all the crops are dead it will rain. Distant lightning here tonight but little rain
Happy trails

#445122 - 13/11/2006 09:59 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Dilbert Offline

Loc: Arnold NthCentralVic
Much discussion about 'row in row' cultivation Goody?

I've been helping a local father and son team move toward this 'row in row' method with a mixture of GPS and a localised positioning system....they farm here and Koondrook...and the Koondrook lads are pushing them pretty hard to make these investments in equipment.
I'm just fitting sensors (following the idiot sheet) on air seeders and such at the moment for mainly basic acres meters .....but the sensors will be used when the big gear arrives and they take the big financial plunge.
Still swings on rain ....and I've got to say I'd have cold feet about this big step.
They admit themselves that they have been surviving on 'opportunity farming' for any profits they have made in the last few years ...which doesn't sit well with making this huge financial commitment to high tech cropping

#445123 - 14/11/2006 12:59 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Hi Dilbert

Firstly, 12mm in the gauge from tail end rain to the change yesterday....Went to a farm near here this morning to have a look at what was left of a big old dead tree hit by lightning. Not much as it was all in pieces, not even a stump left in the ground.

Yes row in row that and a whole lot of High Tech stuff like you are working with which was dealt with in a Session dealing with Emerging Technologies for Intergrated Management Solutions...Sounds pretty impressive huh !
Speakers were Dr Andrew Moore, Dr Mike Robertson & Professor Alex McBratney who is Director of Aus Centre for Precision Agriculture, Sydney University.
Tram lining (driving on same tracks) for all cultivations, sprayings etc with Harvestor monitors even testing incoming grain for protein level ...Linked into to the satellite data already recorded for the fields

Amazing things can be done but as you say how can one afford all this ?
Sounds like you are at the cutting edge with it all Dilbert
Happy trails laugh

#445124 - 14/11/2006 15:20 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
adon Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Not tellin!
Talking about GPS guidance, I have been using a base model auto steer unit on a windrower for a few weeks. Well I wouldn't buy the bloody thing! It was not accurate enough and was really annoying by loosing satelites all the time. Another thing that really annoyed me about it was every time I engaged the auto steer the unit would "wiggle" offline then correct itself making a bulge at both ends on the land. mad .

I also helped a farmer setup his top shelf auto steer to inter row sow sorghum between canola stubble. It may have been easier if he let me do it from scratch but it took us 3 hours to finally get it right! Not exactly what you want when he was trying to dry sow the stuff and we could see the clouds coming in! I gather Dibert that the guidance you are talking about it a 2cm with base station?

They are not too bad now ($30 000) they used to be nearly $100 000 ten years ago.It is getting pretty popular with farmers around here now esecially with sprayers, but some are going the whole hog with gps on everything but the sheep! Must say it does look bloody good and does save money over time. There is fairly strong evidence to say that inter row sowing is the way to go for lower disease and better trash handling. Some crops use last years crops residues as ladders to grow on, therefor making them higher and easier to harvest. As the units get cheaper, they will be on nearly every tractor within 20 years. Antother good point is that once setup and tuned in, the operator is able to do longer hours with less fatigue. I really noticed going from a GPS machine to a fully manual one. Even though the GPS was not behaving that well I was much "fresher" at the end of the day than after a day on the manual machine.

There is another type of system i have seen which uses a camera mounted on the tractor that looks down to the crop rows. It then steers the tractor between the rows. Not GPS but needs gps to start off with so you don't have wiggly lines to work with.

#445125 - 16/11/2006 08:20 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Dilbert Offline

"Sounds like you are at the cutting edge with it all Dilbert"
I race up there every time they call...I reckon this stuff in so interesting...and not much harder than wiring a trailer plug.....the boys lack a bit of confidence around technically written stuff...just haven't rubbed against it enough.
One thing about farmers/growers I find.....they are always apologising for their narrow knowledge base with their cap in therir hand .....and they are bloody wrong.
My standard line with them is that I am actually in awe of all the information they just 'know'!.....and tell them how I alway looked for our apprentice intake every year from farm boys for our city stores all over aus.
The best balance appreciative guys you will ever find for an apprenticeship....who understand work!.

I had blokes talking at me for many many years in some crumby noisey building in melb/syd
........now most issues are discussed and considered in the big blue shed which I just love so much.
I wish I'd worked all my life in the country but foolishly I thought I had more opportunities in the city...(I foolishly believed the literature)
None of this stuff is that hard Goodie you just need to be interested wink

Story time....When I got here in 1980 I became very friendly with young bloke who came to me and wanted to buy a dead stock feed mill....he wanted me to stand by his side while he bought the place for $185,000 ....I was glue...we travelled everywhere buying gear (and I taught him how to fill out the bank withdrawal and all)....we interviewed staff and found ourselves a bean counter loonie for the front desk and office and put the crews on piece work for the first year.
Then I got a govt tax guy in and he freaked when he realised Graham couldn't read smile ....and the woman from the CES office cracked up too smile
Graham payed off his mill and owns a string of equipment from hell now and tells me the Mill is turning 4 million bucks a year....and is quite profitable.
Every time I drop in to see him he likes to read me bits from the newspaper .....and always so serious it make me laugh.....I wish I had his life abilities and his focus is second to none....never ever find that steadiness in someone from the bigsoup/town.
I like hanging around farmers ....they keep me calm smile

#445126 - 16/11/2006 09:25 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Wow ! Dilbert what a story ..... laugh

Once I started I could not stop, as I have a vivid imagination all is connected to a flash card display along the way of visions I know you speak about.

Oh dear...you know with the weather that is happening I just came here to put a post in saying : The End is Nigh

Happy trails :cheers:

#445127 - 16/11/2006 10:50 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Dilbert Offline

I'll give Graham a plug....he deserves it.
Fremantles Stockfeed Mill Eddington, he does rail and road and horsey everything and well as the usual lines wink

End is nigh? .......had to put the snow chains on to get to the general store but other than that things are normal around here. confused

.....and I'm wearing mukluks laugh laugh

#445128 - 17/11/2006 19:09 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
BD (Bucketing Down) Offline

Loc: Eastern Adelaide Hills, SA
And a very happy Christmas to all, and a from the heart...safe, blessed, prosperous and rain-filled New Year 2007 to all of you on the land, from Ian :wave: :cheers:

#445129 - 17/11/2006 23:29 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
adon Offline

Yeah well Ian I hope your right about the rain filled bit! You should have a fair idea so hope you telling us somthing between the line! Seasons greetings right back at ya and to everybody else on the forum! :wave:

I am off working again tomorrow and not sure how long for so hope next time we chat there is somthing to chat about!

#445130 - 27/11/2006 15:30 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
adon Offline

Well Dad and I are going to start the header and see what we get in a while. Reckon we will run over only about 30ac and prolly won't get much more than chook feed but sort of have to do it. Just glad we didn't sow much this year. Couldn't afford to. frown

#445131 - 28/11/2006 06:20 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Dilbert Offline

Good luck with getting under it Adon...and hope it doesn't turn into a rock collecting exercise wink .....at least the chooks will be pleased with your efforts.

#445132 - 28/11/2006 22:02 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Helen Offline

Loc: Mid North, SA
Yeah, good luck from us too, Adon. Our neighbour had the header on his wheat crop next door today (125 acres)... he was in road-gear I reckon and had it all off in less than three hours. eek
Sept - - (48mm) / Oct - - (38mm) / Nov - - (23mm) / Dec - - (18mm)

#445133 - 29/11/2006 17:59 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Adon I wish you well but if things don't go well ...You might like to see this account of Harvest here which is about All Over Red Rover. Creek flats yielded 2-3 bags to the acre while Granite Hills fared better with 3-4 bags to the acre. This means just enough to get seed back

I won't say happy trails with this post as I know it ain't
Ciao for now

#445134 - 30/11/2006 10:34 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
adon Offline

Well out of 270 acres, I managed to get......wait for it..... 25bags of barley! :rolleyes:

Had a bad night last night, my 16 month old nephew was taken by air ambulance to bendigo. He is OK now but gave us a scare

#445135 - 05/12/2006 19:36 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Farmer Offline
Weather Freak

Well the sheep and lamb market has really turned here in the Monaro.
2 weeks ago 40 kg lambs were making $60 to $80 at Cooma markets. Took 25 lambs to Cooma on Monday and made $8 each. eek

Agent said they could not even give away half of the sheep.

Up til mid November we had not been doing it as
tough as other areas in NSW but that has now changed, with no rain in the last 4 weeks.
frown

#445136 - 06/12/2006 22:15 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
windjammer Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Why, Farmer? How can a 40kg lamb be worth $80 one week, and nothing the next? Is is advantageous speculation on the part of the buyers?

#445137 - 06/12/2006 22:42 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
adon Offline

That's whats called over supply of unfinnished sheep windjammer. Unfortunatly lots of farmers are selling livestock in poor condition and the market is full. The only thing that happens is the price falls becuse they do not want any more. It's funny though, one decent widesprea rain event will see the markets shoot up again as farmers try to re-stock. You can make a lot of mney if you are willing to bet on a rain and that is a very brave/stupid thing to do in these times.

#445138 - 07/12/2006 07:33 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Farmer Offline
Weather Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by windjammer:
Why, Farmer? How can a 40kg lamb be worth $80 one week, and nothing the next? Is is advantageous speculation on the part of the buyers?
Hi Windjammer, I guess the fact that there were 8,000 more sheep for sale this week did not help matters much.
As Adon says, with that many sheep and lambs for sale now the major buyers can set their own price, while not many graziers can afford to gamble on rain in the near future and buy up big. frown

#445139 - 07/12/2006 09:50 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mangoes Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Colo Vale, Southern Highlands ...
Same situation with other stock atm. Camden sales yesterday saw at least 200 horses go through.

My neighbour told me about a guy up Newcastle way that has over 400 horses in his paddocks waiting for the drought to break. Apparently he is buying up big at the sales at low prices (bought two truckloads yesterday) and is sending the poorer ones overseas for human consumption. He is keeping the good ones to resell and make a good profit on when the rain comes.

#445140 - 07/12/2006 15:39 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
farmer bob Offline

Loc: northern NSW
It's not all bad news out there.

Did anyone read page 3 of last weeks 'The Land'? Some bloke stripping his durum wheat, and it's going to average 5 tonnes to the hectare with patches going 7t. Up in Northern NSW, on the Liverpool Plains. Deep black soil country. Wow, that is a good result, and imagine the return per hectare. He had 1200 hectares to do. Just amazing.

Page 38 of 68 < 1 2 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 67 68 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
chejian, Dusty Dervish, pogonantha, scott12
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image