Page 7 of 67 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#444501 - 20/03/2003 08:01 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mountain man Offline

Loc: kunama southern N.S.W 975mtrs
thanks fe 6 degrees here at the moment and very light but soaking drizzle winter has come for the 2nd time in two weeks definately getting some snow in the higher country . do you live on the coast at albany or inland and what do you grow . theres not a great variety of things that will grow here as we are in a frost hollow and already 2 weeks ago lost all our pumpkins and tomatoes with -2.8 frost cheers for now im going for a drive to have a play with the 4wd in the mud or snow i can get up to 1500mts in the near vicinity from my farm

#444502 - 20/03/2003 11:04 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mcg Offline

Loc: Hunter Valley
MM it sounds as if you live in a beautiful area. Is it very productive wher you are?

#444503 - 20/03/2003 12:34 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mountain man Offline

they say you could stick your shovel in the ground and it will grow. we have very rich granite soil here. unfortunately not much in the way of cropping can be done here as we can have a big frost any time of year. we even loose our chestnut crop every 2nd year or so.we are lucky enough to hav a couple of springs on our place that will never dry up so we plenty of water and the cows sold from the high country always bring money at the sales

#444504 - 23/03/2003 12:13 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany.W.A.
Hi All, another Sunday morning, weeks are going by so fast this year - lucky my kids don't look at WZ, (they get quite excited when i say that - i get the big lecture about time & management).
I don't know if the lack of comment on the drought is becos of the huge media interest in Iraq thing or what, but those shocking dust storms over east tell me things must still be horribly dry over a lot of Oz!!!! How are you all managing??? Seems to me that parts of Vic have been given a bit of a break plus some of Qld, but otherwise still very dry?? We have had 2 days of thundery stuff, lot of exciting looking clouds, but not much moisture, but the dry feeds gone now so feeding hay, grain & pellets to the deer, but the kyk is wonderfully green for the cattle - rotten deer pull all the kyk out in the deer pens so it never gets a chance!. Interesting comment here that is open to some debate i guess, but last 2 lots of rain - only around 5 mm, have been in storms with lightning about, i was just mentioning to my neighbour how "green" a lot of plant material grows after rain from storms where nitrogen is put into soil from lightning - wonder if there is scientific basis to this long held "bush" logic???? i'd be interested to hear any comments for or against & how you are all managing now...
:wave: :cheers: FE

#444505 - 28/03/2003 23:06 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Wagga District ...Where Crows ...
Hello there FE !
Hope you are getting some rain at the moment with events there as your cloud with thunder etc is over here at the moment ... was a very "biblical" afternoon with beams of sunlight streaming earthward, what moisture was there gave us about 5 spots on the hat.

Some towering clouds evident out towards the Snowies & tonight some lightning in the east ... Or is that Quest & Answer time in the Senate wink

FE it is my understanding rain picks up the N out of the atmosphere on the way down... just bet WZ Craig Arthur can ans this more approtiately laugh

Anyway, however it sure fires the growth up bigtime . One rain event seems to equal a weeks watering as far as growth is concerned that is for sure .

Around here we are back in the drought conditions again as that green strike is all but gone, however it is a plus to have water in some dams (tanks) again.

God , that word tank reminds me to say "thank you" for your update to the Evaporation Thread.

It seems all the symptoms of this drought are near done but it just won't go home yet .... did hear some bureau boys say on ABC radio yest it could go either way at present. So just to throw a spanner in the works I have been telling a few here it is going to rain next Weds ..... laugh
Byes for now FE ... mmm those B deer ! :cheers:

#444506 - 28/03/2003 23:39 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Big, big HI Goody, your posting has really made my day! Yep thunderstorms all avo, little cells going in all directions & a front expected as well. Sitting here listening to a storm up Cranbrook way north of me - yes that N thing is strange isn't it. I can put wetta soil & urea on park lawns & water for a week and just keep it alive, BUT get 10mm in a T/storm & its as green as! Just having cuppa during meat packing nite, hope i'm in the rain at Growers Market tomorrow, & betting on a wet Easter! Salmon have just started to run this week & i had a great avo mid week, hooked 3 landed 2 - fantastic sport & some good feeds of fish... Well my good wife is mumbling about the i'net so must go - thanx for the post Goody & just hope you get some rain, we have had 5mm since 2pm today & i think we will get more, but don't expect this to be a real break.
:wave: FE

#444507 - 29/03/2003 15:52 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mcg Offline

great to hear you have had some rain FE. Hope it gets things growing again. Yes there is nothing like rain to make the place look fantastic. You can water as much as you like then it rains and the response from the plants is amazing.
:wave:

#444508 - 29/03/2003 19:55 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi All, yes Mcg we got a further 5 mm overnite to make 10mm, further west (about 30kms got 25 mm) fine today, but may get more rain tomorrow. Have you still got green feed or not Mcg, there will be another shoot from this, but its still a bit early IMO?
:cheers: FE

#444509 - 29/03/2003 21:36 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mountain man Offline

hi just letting you know that whilst at work today in tumut we had the best thunderstorm that ive seen in this area, the hail was at minimum 3cm dia.its damaged the hospital and several shops dont know how much rain in it but i missed out again at my place its way to late now for us to grow some feed for winter. ill definately now have to buy at least 100 bails which as you know are$8 instead of $2.50 but you get that were we live hey, and who;d give that up for a million $ certainly not us. the one thing you know for sure in this life is there will never be anymore land made by whoever or whatever made this land

#444510 - 01/04/2003 22:05 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Wagga District ...Where Crows ...
Hi All ,
Seems my rain for tomorrow might be a fizzer but have not got into the depths of the pc models this evening to get up to speed .
Speaking of speed "Where is Big Willy?" he might be able to tell me why I have seen more willy willy's over this last week than at any other time of the drought so far...
I suppose Wingnut would say the moisture is back in the system & thus the thermals are firing up under the clouds ?
You know this means it is another sign that the drought is near over ...rabbits were breeding but the K virus hit & as it does not perform well with moisture I just wonder mmmmmm see you peoples :wave:

#444511 - 03/04/2003 03:28 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Goody, Did you get any rain?? We had 11mm from last weekends lot, north of us where they needed it more, got some really good falls 20 to 40 mm in some places! We have our second huge germination coming thru now "thick as hair on cats back"!. This close to Easter it should hold on now, also there is a cyclone up north which always throws a "wild card" in the possibilities package. Yes, you are right about K virus liking dry weather, came thru here in early December & knocked out nearly all our pet rabbits in the Park, & haven't seen one bush rabbit since Christmas & they were everywhere last Spring!

#444512 - 03/04/2003 09:56 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

Loc: Cobar 31.50S, 145.83E, 243m ...
Hello all

Still no rain but we do have an increase in rabbits smile smile

Been pretty busy the last 2 weeks,David came off his motor bike & broke his collar bone in 3 places eek eek so everything that could go wrong about the place has laugh always the way isn't it

Our children have been coming out on the weekends to help us out, god love them,they are great kids.

I have just checked the 6-7 day out look & if that actually happens we will be in heaven wink

All the best to everyone,hope all is going well with you

Heather :cheers:

#444513 - 05/04/2003 06:26 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mcg Offline

Hi all.
I have been away, had to return to work to pay some bills...it was inevitable i suppose.
We have had some small amounts of rain and we have a little green pick but oour dams are at the desperate stage. Nothing we ca do about it but wait. Not looking very promicing..most of the farmers are saying we won't get decent rain until end April or early May.

#444514 - 05/04/2003 07:22 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mountain man Offline

-1and a big frost here this morning yesterday for the first time in ages we had 1 1/2mm of sleety rain that was not forecast however its all to late now for us to get an autumn pick
taking the kids down to blowering dam today for a picnic this dam usually holds 4 times the amount of water as sydney harbour and this is were ken warby broke the world water speed record right now it is 0.2% full
thought we'd go down there and take some pics as id be surprised if it ever drops to this level again in our lifetime

#444515 - 05/04/2003 13:41 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mcg Offline

I'm beginning to think they will never be full again in my lifetime (lol) wink

#444516 - 05/04/2003 17:03 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi All, now Mcg you aren't planning on leaving this world in a hurry are you?? come on now, chin up, these are the bad times we all have to have sometimes during our life so that we can more easily measure the good times!! wink wink I'm not sure of much these days, but i'm certain it will rain again at sometime in your lifetime laugh - we are just wondering where Cyclone Inigo will go over here, it is a huge system & could bring a lot of rain in, but most likely to the northwest pastoral areas, never know some might even reach Heather, but don't think it will get to you Mcg, but winter rain will come! :wave: !
:cheers: FE

#444517 - 05/04/2003 17:21 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Heather, sorry i missed your earlier post about David coming off his bike! Now if it had been off a horse i would have said never trust those critters (i'm no horseman as you guessed) stop laughing Mcg, i'll play you motor bike polo any day! But David coming off his bike is tough luck - please give him our regards & i'll try not to write something really stupid that makes his c/bone hurt if he laughs! Of course i don't give any guarantees with my forecasts, but i recon you could well get rain this next week generally, as a wild card, it will be interesting to see where, when & how TC Inigo breaks up...anything could happen & you never know where moist air from that system might feed to....who knows?
You have just about been thru all known hardship Heather & David, but by comparison the next few years should be a breeze & i'm confident you will come through OK ...its just getting there isn't it? Sheep & wool prices are good once they have a bit of condition so that should be rewarding for you!

#444518 - 05/04/2003 17:53 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

Loc: Cobar 31.50S, 145.83E, 243m ...
Thanks for the thoughts FE
David said to thank you very much,
he is finding it very hard not to be able to do very much & having to rely on me more than he would normaly.

I am thinking of makeing a movie "Driving Mr David" laugh laugh as I am his means of transport atm.

I hope you are right about the rain,will just wait & see without getting tooooooo worked up about what might be wink wink

We went to Dubbo yesterday & it is so green along the roadside puddles of water every where
I am so jealous,but they needed it as well laugh Good for them & we are next wink

All the best
David & Heather :cheers:

#444519 - 06/04/2003 07:17 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mcg Offline

All those positive outlooks...makes me realise how much i get from this thread. Thank both. No i was only joking about the dams never filling. I know today is another day closer. I am sure it will rain soon, we have just begun roadworks on our land subdivision (help finance the drought) so that should guarantee rain.
I have been left on my own for two nights as the remainder of the family had to go away, i have woken this morning to all the poddy calves (now weaned) into the hay shed and the grain...they wouldn't dare do that when i had help, only because i am alone. What a mess...ah life on the land would we have it any other way????? Sometimes......i wonder laugh Just kidding.
Motor bike Polo...sounds like an interesting challenge...FE love to take you up on that..only for the social event though i would be truely hopeless..horses i can manage (just) but motor bikes now that would be interesting.
Have a good day all.

#444520 - 11/04/2003 14:42 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
mountain man Offline

hi all we should all be hoping for a game of water polo im sure fe might be having a game in the padock after this weekend heres hoping for you fe.
on a sadder note we are trying to pick our chestnuts at the moment and have been overrun by white cockatoos in the hundreds destroying our crop its the first time theve ever bothered us has to be because all there gum trees have been burnt and they are lucky enough at our expense to have discovered chestnuts. a lot of the orchardists around here have no problems shooting them but i [unfortunately for my bank balance]cannot bring myself to shoot them a couple of times ive been that mad that ive felt like it but manage to refrain from it
looks like ill be just letting mother nature take its course.
the money from these nuts gives us a great holiday every year so we wont be going to far this year

Page 7 of 67 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 66 67 >

Who's Online
5 registered (mysteriousbrad, rhizome, DaveM, 2 invisible), 347 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
araT, danz, kimsmith, Tara, Welshmun
Forum Stats
29545 Members
32 Forums
23884 Topics
1489531 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image