NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 36 of 68 < 1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 67 68 >
Topic Options
#445081 - 22/10/2006 17:51 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
adon Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Not tellin!
Well I don't know a lot about canola for hay but one hell of a lot is being cut for hay. We have been doing a fait bit of windrowing in both cereal and canola. generally the canola that is being cut for hay has not had as much pesticide applied because of frost damage and low yield potential so if the only concern would be the feed content and I have heard as long as the plant has a few flowers sil on it when cut it is not too bad. I wouldn't use it as a first option but when desperation calls....

#445082 - 23/10/2006 09:45 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
BD (Bucketing Down) Offline

Loc: Eastern Adelaide Hills, SA
"I Love a Sunburnt Country"
(The correct forever Long-Range Weather Forecast for Australia: written 1906)

The love of field and coppice,
Of green and shaded Lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens,
Is running in your veins;
Strong love of grey-blue distance,
Brown streams and soft, dim skies -
I know but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a SUNBURNT country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of DROUGHT and FLOODING RAINS,
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel sea,
Her beauty and her terror -
The WIDE BROWN land for me.

The tragic ring-barked forests
Stark white beneath the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon.
Green tangle of the brushes
Where lithe lianas coil,
An orchids deck the tree-tops
And ferns the crimson soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her PITILESS BLUE SKY,
When SICK AT HEART AROUND US,
We see the CATTLE DIE -
But then the GREY CLOUDS GATHER
AND WE CAN BLESS AGAIN,
THE DRUMMING OF AN ARMY,
THE STEADY SOAKING RAIN.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the Rainbow Gold,
For FLOOD and FIRE and FAMINE,
She PAYS US BACK THREEFOLD;
Over the THIRSTY PADDOCKS,
WATCH, after MANY DAYS
The filmy veil of GREENNESS,
That THICKENS AS WE GAZE.

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land -
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand -
Though Earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what BROWN COUNTRY
My homing thoughts will fly."

(Dorothy Mc Keller 1908, written 1906)

#445083 - 23/10/2006 11:58 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Helen Offline

Loc: Mid North, SA
Thankyou so much for that Ian, I so love that piece.

Even though written in 1906, it could have very well been written today... and it celebrates its centenary, too. smile

Cheers, Helen :cheers:
Sept - - (48mm) / Oct - - (38mm) / Nov - - (23mm) / Dec - - (18mm)

#445084 - 24/10/2006 10:11 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Keith Offline

Loc: Kings Langley, NSW
This one is pretty apt, too:

SAID HANRAHAN by John O'Brien

"We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
In accents most forlorn,
Outside the church, ere Mass began,
One frosty Sunday morn.

The congregation stood about,
Coat-collars to the ears,
And talked of stock, and crops, and drought,
As it had done for years.

"It's looking crook," said Daniel Croke;
"Bedad, it's cruke, me lad,
For never since the banks went broke
Has seasons been so bad."

"It's dry, all right," said young O'Neil,
With which astute remark
He squatted down upon his heel
And chewed a piece of bark.

And so around the chorus ran
"It's keepin' dry, no doubt."
"Before the year is out."

"The crops are done; ye'll have your work
To save one bag of grain;
From here way out to Back-o'-Bourke
They're singin' out for rain.

"They're singin' out for rain," he said,
"And all the tanks are dry."
The congregation scratched its head,
And gazed around the sky.

"There won't be grass, in any case,
Enough to feed an ass;
There's not a blade on Casey's place
As I came down to Mass."

"If rain don't come this month," said Dan,
And cleared his throat to speak -
"If rain don't come this week."

A heavy silence seemed to steal
On all at this remark;
And each man squatted on his heel,
And chewed a piece of bark.

"We want an inch of rain, we do,"
O'Neil observed at last;
But Croke "maintained" we wanted two
To put the danger past.

"If we don't get three inches, man,
Or four to break this drought,
We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,

In God's good time down came the rain;
And all the afternoon
On iron roof and window-pane
It drummed a homely tune.

And through the night it pattered still,
And lightsome, gladsome elves
On dripping spout and window-sill
Kept talking to themselves.

It pelted, pelted all day long,
A-singing at its work,
Till every heart took up the song
Way out to Back-o'-Bourke.

And every creek a banker ran,
And dams filled overtop;
"If this rain doesn't stop."

And stop it did, in God's good time;
And spring came in to fold
A mantle o'er the hills sublime
Of green and pink and gold.

And days went by on dancing feet,
With harvest-hopes immense,
And laughing eyes beheld the wheat
Nid-nodding o'er the fence.

And, oh, the smiles on every face,
As happy lad and lass
Through grass knee-deep on Casey's place
Went riding down to Mass.

While round the church in clothes genteel
Discoursed the men of mark,
And each man squatted on his heel,
And chewed his piece of bark.

"There'll be bush-fires for sure, me man,
There will, without a doubt;
We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,

Around the Boree Log and Other Verses, 1921

#445085 - 24/10/2006 14:44 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
adon Offline

This is a piece that I am emailing to the herald sun in reply to an attack on farms from Peter Cullen. I have not let on that I am a farmer so we will see if it gets in!

Once again Peter Cullen has popped up to splurge out his garbage to the masses. Mr Cullen wants some of the worlds most efficient and least subsidised farmers to leave the land instead of being helped through a tight patch. Yes this has been the worst drought in a century and will certainly take a long time to recover from. This will mean that a huge amount of money will need to be diverted to rural Australia to help us through. But this is not climate change as Mr Cullen has suggested. This is simply a bad drought, no more. He does however, have good points on water use and I think that everybody should be recycling wastewater and catching storm water for later use.
Most Cities in South Eastern Australia should be restricted from growing further and instead populations should be directed to where the water is. Bendigo and Ballarat are already over stretching their resources yet the building continues. Why are these cities allowed to grow when they have to poach water from other parts of the state to survive? Would it not make more sense to develop towns along the Murray River or parts of Northern Australia where water is more available?

If this drought was proof that climate change will turn more of Australia into desert what would explain the federation drought or the countless droughts before that? Surely global warming was not around then to wreak havoc on the country? Peter and his activist cohorts are using the current drought to push their agenda and trying to fool the people in cities that our land will never be the same. Our water storages are low but that is to be expected as this drought has lasted for longer than they have for a century but this has happened before. Media showing images of dry rivers are being touted as proof that global warming is here, these rivers have run dry many times before they were dammed and is misleading to suggest they have never been that way before. Have a look at history when paddle steamers used the Murray Darling as a transport system; reports of steamers being stuck in shallow pools for months waiting for the rivers to rise again are common. Was global warming at fault then?

Australia has some of the most efficient farmers in the world. They are not supported anything like most other farmers in developed countries across the world are, so they have to be. To suggest that farmers are bad managers is not only wrong but it is an insult to the people who feed you. Farmers do not enjoy getting the assistance they are applying for. They have waited until they cannot hold on for any longer before applying.

The prices for our products have hardly changed since the 1970’s while our costs have gone up with everything else. That is why farmers need assistance in this drought. How would Mr Cullen or most other people for that matter, deal with living with today’s prices while being paid 1970’s wages? In times past, one tonne of wheat was equal to a week’s average wage. Now it takes four tonnes to get an average week’s wages. Farmers could recover from a drought fairly quickly because they were being paid a decent amount for the things they produced. Your average loaf of bread has about 8c worth of wheat in it. If the farmer were getting 16c for that wheat, they would not need help. Somebody is making big money, but it’s not farmers. Now even bigger farmers are struggling to recover because their profit margins are so small, it will take them many good years to bounce back. If the current, high prices for grain, fruit ect. were the normal prices, they would not need help in the first place.

Having only large farms is not the answer, as this means most of the farms will be corporate giants only focused on profit and the land would suffer. Small farmers in general are emotionally attached to their land and take good care of the land they love. Loosing these small farmers would no doubt lead to more land degradation and increased weeds and pests. Supporting farmers who take care of the land should be more important than the bottom line.

Why isn’t Mr Cullen attacking the automotive industry being supported because they are not viable? Every time Holden, Ford or Mitsubishi hint that they will stop production they are quickly handed out huge sums of money so they will continue to provide jobs for the cities. Farms support a huge amount of people not only in rural Australia but cities too; providing high quality food and fibre for us all. These carmakers produce the very things that pump massive amounts of the greenhouse gasses that he says are changing our climate. Or maybe the “artists” who are paid large sums of money to produce “art” that resemble junkyards or graffiti. This is not sustainable; it’s a joke… a costly joke. Or maybe the film industry, which is constantly crying out for more government money to produce entertainment, nobody else will fund. These are industries are unsustainable without constant government support and yet nothing is said about them.

Mr Cullen, I would say to you, go and whinge about government supporting other truly unsustainable industries and stop using this drought as a stepping-stone to push your theory on global warming. While you at it, get your salary cut back to 1970’s levels and see how you go! Farmers need to be paid a decent amount for the things they produce and we will be happy. Concentrate on pushing for change to the unceasing development of water poor areas and call for spreading development over a wider area. Will you be still out there spitting on farmers after this drought breaks, or will you wait until the next drought to reply?

#445086 - 24/10/2006 17:32 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Keith Offline

I hope this is published, but knowing the Herald there mightn't be much chance.

There is too much farmer-bashing from certain quarters in Australia.

#445087 - 24/10/2006 19:40 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
BD (Bucketing Down) Offline

Loc: Eastern Adelaide Hills, SA
Well said Adon, and good poem Keith...I shall put it up with the Sunburnt Country on the pin-up board.

#445088 - 24/10/2006 20:21 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Helen Offline

Thanks for that poem Keith, it's also a beauty. laugh

Adon, that's a fine piece of literature and worthy to be printed in the paper, I sure hope they do. laugh Small typo in paragraph 5 though; should be losing, not loosing. wink

Had to have a teeny giggle with your comment on the film industry which spend copious amounts of money on films and series, which seem to do really well in Australia. My daughter's currently doing a stint with McLeod's Daughters and being fed very well... I told her to bring home a doggie bag. laugh

#445089 - 24/10/2006 20:44 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
W W Offline

Loc: Cobar 31.50°S, 145.83°E, 243m ...
Good for you adon.
I thought that read very well,I hope it does get published.
I hope people sit up & take notice or very soon there will be no farms left. :cheers:

#445090 - 24/10/2006 22:09 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
adon Offline

Thank guys! Well I have emailed it(with the typo shocked )to them so it is in their hands now. Prolly won't make it but hel it might wake the person up who reads it! There is much more that could be said but no use making it 20 pages long!

#445091 - 24/10/2006 22:24 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Helen Offline

I'll have my fingers crossed Adon, them darn city-slickers sure need to wake up and smell the roses. Getting baloney fed to them by do-gooders makes them think there's nothing beyond the city walls.

Now if we could only get the government to recognise the little farms. We're classed as a hobby farm and with hubby working away from home we don't get any relief. Not that we want much, but a few dollars to bring mains water up to the house from the town pipeline would be most beneficial. smile

#445092 - 24/10/2006 22:49 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
adon Offline

It's amazing how these people think that small farmers are bad managers. Dad is not really in debt actually. He has maxed out his overdraught but has no other loans to pay off. We are very small for our area and yet most if not all others are WAY in debt. Dad is pretty old and does not want to borrow much more to keep going as he is ill and will most likley have to sell or lease soon for health reasons. Drought funding is hard for him to get as they think he is on the borderline of being viable yet his postions in relation to others is much better. We take care of our land and do not let dust blow around, weeds are kept under control as are pests. Others in the area who are considered good farmers have wind stripping bare soil away because they flog the country to death. I would consider dad a better farmer as his land in getting better all the time. I wish the bean counter took that into account.

#445093 - 25/10/2006 08:39 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Adam Ant Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: West Toowoomba
Well said adon. What peeves me off is that the city slickers always seem to be the experts on this subject. Really it does show there lack of knowledge. In the end 500 million dollars isn't alot of money for the government to give to farmers, I mean they gave 1 billion to Indonesia and the city slickers had no problem with that. But when it comes to Aussie farmers who are having to go through a natural disaster (and to me thats what a drought should be classified as) they say screw them. Now if one of our capital cities runs out of water in the next few years I bet you the city slickers will have no problem spending billions of dollars trying to give themselves drought relief so they can fill there pools up and water there garden.

In the meantime, there is still some cotton being grown out on the Darling Downs, irrigated ofcourse, theres no dryland that I know of this year. Theres a hell of alot of sorghum thats going to be planted this year with the current high prices.

#445094 - 25/10/2006 12:49 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
silvercloud Offline

Loc: Donnybrook, South West WA
The city slickers have no idea of anything outside of suburbia. Perth is already considering tapping into the Yarragadee aquifer which is under most of the south west of WA which is going to have a big effect on everything down the track. Where it is already tapped into by larger towns near the coast it is already becoming saline. If they take the proposed 45 gigalitres, and I reckon it'll be a lot more than that when they've been doing this for a while, it will have a major impact on rivers and our beautiful karri, marri and jarrah forests not to mention all the orchard and agricultural areas. The only restrictions Perth is on is only using the sprinklers twice a week, there's no limit on using a hose or filling swimming pools and the water corporation said that there won't be any harsher restrictions. mad I am so sick of the city taking everything for themselves with no regard to anyone else. The pipeline they will be using is going to be put through a lot of farmers properties including ours. They want a 20m easement and we can't plant any trees on it. At our place they will have to pull out around a hundred trees to put in this pipe and we can't replace them. mad

#445095 - 25/10/2006 13:07 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Keith Offline

Well, the farmers have another critic.

Dr Suzuki is having a good go at them on...you guessed it..ABC TV.

#445096 - 25/10/2006 14:22 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
windjammer Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Eventually they will realise that it's not just fuel prices making fresh Aussie produce expensive or unavailable in the supermarket.

#445097 - 27/10/2006 22:05 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
adon Offline

Well windjammer the produce may be expensive now but up until the last two months, the price for grain was still fairly low. I was saying before if we had the current prices for grain(about double the normal price) we would not be needing drought assistance as we would have recovered from the last drought. Even at the current prices, the wheat that goes into a loaf of bread would only be worth 8c. The rest is made by the flour mills and other middle men along the way. If you have some spare time one day, do a search for grain, oilseed and potato prices. Compare them to what you end up paying at the supermarket, you will get a shock.

Oh and Keith for a environmentalist, Dr Suzuki seems to travel a lot. Wonder how he got over here??? Airliners are some of the biggest, most effective polluters on earth. They put the bad stuff directly up there so unless he sailed over, or caught a ride on a sea bird he get get stuffed.

#445098 - 28/10/2006 14:13 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
windjammer Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Yeah, a friend of mines Dad farms near Dubbo. He topped the market the other week with his beasts. Forget what he got p/kg, but it was under $4 (hung weight) Someone's still making a lot of money, and it ain't the farmer, or the butcher.

#445099 - 31/10/2006 11:00 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Wagga District ...Where Crows ...
If it does'nt rain out of this I'll be a Monkeys Uncle

#445100 - 31/10/2006 18:28 Re: Chewing Straw - Over the back fence.
Helen Offline

The skies keep promising rain out this way, but just don't deliver. frown

Interestingly, despite the dry, more and more folk out here are taking up flood insurance for the very first time... and my cacti are starting to flower... something that doesn't usually happen until after the rain. confused

Looking at NE NSW and SE Qld today, things look a little more promising with storms galore gracing the area... hopefully this means that something is finally going to break for the country... and not the bank balance, either. wink

Page 36 of 68 < 1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 67 68 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Evil Kitty, Jake, ka0tik_pengwin, Nullamanna WX, shaunandwendy, stormygirl
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image